Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2011)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 60

A Gavel
Seeker

USA
53 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2011 :  03:18:49  Show Profile  Visit A Gavel's Homepage Send A Gavel a Private Message
Of Ed's many, many critters, I always liked the often-overlooked Peltast, myself.
Go to Top of Page

A Gavel
Seeker

USA
53 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2011 :  03:19:33  Show Profile  Visit A Gavel's Homepage Send A Gavel a Private Message
And, of course, Tressym. Winged cats...awww....

Edited by - A Gavel on 05 Feb 2011 03:20:44
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm
Learned Scribe

242 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2011 :  03:23:53  Show Profile  Visit Malcolm's Homepage Send Malcolm a Private Message
Well, I'd have to pipe up in support of Beholder Mages and Malaugrym, as MY faves amongst Ed's monstrous creations.
Go to Top of Page

Broken Helm
Learned Scribe

USA
108 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2011 :  03:26:43  Show Profile  Visit Broken Helm's Homepage Send Broken Helm a Private Message
How about his Beholder Killers? Which he had a cool name for, but someone clumsily renamed "Beholderkin, Gouger" for their MONSTERS OF FAERUN appearance? Those are baaaaad.
BH
Go to Top of Page

Longtime Lurker
Seeker

51 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2011 :  03:29:17  Show Profile  Visit Longtime Lurker's Homepage Send Longtime Lurker a Private Message
Don't forget the Lock Lurker!
LL
Go to Top of Page

Deathspawned
Acolyte

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2011 :  03:29:29  Show Profile  Visit Deathspawned's Homepage Send Deathspawned a Private Message
Thank you for a swift reply Lady :) if Ed has anything else to add i will be more than happy to read it,but you seem to have summed it up as a question for annother...
Go to Top of Page

A Publishing Lackey
Seeker

74 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2011 :  03:31:37  Show Profile  Visit A Publishing Lackey's Homepage Send A Publishing Lackey a Private Message
Neglect not the Dark Naga, either, or the Banelar...
My word, Ed HAS created a lot of monsters in D&D, hasn't he?
Impressive...
Go to Top of Page

Deathspawned
Acolyte

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2011 :  03:32:44  Show Profile  Visit Deathspawned's Homepage Send Deathspawned a Private Message
This is a question Ed may be able to answer for me(NDA'S aside)...What ever hapened to Narm(from spellfire) after shan was no more(so to speak)?
Will we see him again in print or has 4th ED killed that possability?
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2011 :  03:36:19  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Deathspawned, I think that's NDA right now, because Ed did do a detailed (though not long) writeup of Narm's life and doings after HAND OF FIRE (plus a short story or two), which Wizards owns but hasn't yet published. Which means whether or not you'll see it is up to them (Ed isn't free to share it with us).
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Deathspawned
Acolyte

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2011 :  03:51:35  Show Profile  Visit Deathspawned's Homepage Send Deathspawned a Private Message
:( Darn.... TY again for the swift reply.
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7968 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2011 :  17:59:03  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message
Thank ye THO and Blueblade both for the quick and unexpected but awesome replies to my question.
quote:
The Hooded One

Yes, there are "place spirits," fading and nigh forgotten gods, and even a few "mainliner" gods of the Realms that never made it into the rules.
There are also more than a few Realms monsters that never made it into print, and a few ... that got mentioned, but never more than mentioned.
Do ye drop these juicy hints deliberately or just through habit?

Place spirits, forgotten gods, missing gods? Details for monsters unknown, or known only by name?

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Nicolai Withander
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1093 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2011 :  19:24:10  Show Profile Send Nicolai Withander a Private Message
After reading some more, I got an idea for a question about some of Ed's creations... Do you know, THO, what Ed's favorite spell is or how he uses said spell?

Thanks
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2011 :  02:13:00  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Nicolai, I very much doubted Ed had a favourite spell, so I checked with him, and no, he doesn't.
Which isn't surprising, really, given all the D&D game magic he's created and augmented and tinkered with.
I think Ed gets more enjoyment out of building an ever-larger tapestry of creations, the more complicated and "alive" the better...
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Azuth
Senior Scribe

USA
404 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2011 :  04:30:23  Show Profile  Visit Azuth's Homepage Send Azuth a Private Message

Any word on a favorite deity in the Realms? Mystra seems so obvious, but only Ed can say for certain.

Cheers

Azuth, the First Magister
Lord of All Spells

Lord of All Spells

The greatest expression of creativity is through Art.
Offense can never be given, only taken.
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2011 :  09:37:04  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Azuth

[font=Trebuchet MS][blue]
Any word on a favorite deity in the Realms? Mystra seems so obvious, but only Ed can say for certain.

Cheers

[b]Azuth

Well Again All

Seems a bit like asking a parent who their favourite child is

Of course one might hope that Silverymoon (Lurue) is everyones favourite as the true God of magic

Have a question about hides, furs and tanning.

Do any priesthoods or wizards have 'tan hides very quickly' prayers or spells.

In Cormyr/Dales/Moonsea area is there a leading company that deals in furs and hides? or is the market competitive?

In Cormyr is there much demand for furs and can the Hullack and mountains/wild areas provide all that Cormyr needs?

Best to all

Damian

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2011 :  17:06:56  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Hi again, all.
Nicolai, I very much doubted Ed had a favourite spell, so I checked with him, and no, he doesn't.
Which isn't surprising, really, given all the D&D game magic he's created and augmented and tinkered with.
I think Ed gets more enjoyment out of building an ever-larger tapestry of creations, the more complicated and "alive" the better...
love,
THO

But I bet Elminster's favorite spell is "Turtle Soup". Am I right?

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2011 :  21:02:56  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Maybe Dragonturtle soup... served FRESH.

As for 'Ed Creations', I used to think he took a lot from various (old) monster manuals. Then I realized those monsters first appeared in Dragon Magazine.

Then I realized Ed WROTE many of those articles.

Ed is responsible for as much as D&D as Gary Gygax is, if not more. For instance, Ed created the greater age-ranges for dragons, amongst other things. It isn't just the critters we can thank him for - everything from Hin customs to Drow gods to flying ships has had his hand on them. Bits of Ed can be found in nearly every other official setting.

Edit: My point is, trying to 'quantify' how much Ed has done for the game itself is nearly impossible, so making lists of monsters, spells, whatever... is pretty hard.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 06 Feb 2011 21:16:35
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2011 :  21:16:27  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message
Bits of Ed? Someone needs to collect those and return them.....

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

Azuth
Senior Scribe

USA
404 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2011 :  22:28:46  Show Profile  Visit Azuth's Homepage Send Azuth a Private Message

Honestly, I think that each DM contributes a lot to his or her world, and Ed happens to be a fantastic DM. I remember during the transition from 2E to 3E in the FR book something happened to Tilverton that was unexplained. One of my players was very distraught by this as his character (a paladin) had amassed a fort and minions there, and as a DM I just said "the map is wrong." I recall as a young DM I loved using Bane to torture characters, being rather ignorant that Beshaba was the Maid of Misfortune. Anyway, as I grew older I found Eldath and Lathander much more enjoyable to use when intervening as divinity. Thus my question to Ed on which deity is his favorite. I will likely never have the pleasure of playing in his personal campaign, but I have done so under several fantastic DMs, and I'm curious which he finds his personal favorite. He may have many, he may have one. That's why I'm looking forward to his answer. His portrayal of Azuth in The Tempatation of Elminster is far different than I had imagined him — in a good way.

For now, I just recall all of Ed's work with amazement and await his next novel.

Cheers,

Lord of All Spells

Lord of All Spells

The greatest expression of creativity is through Art.
Offense can never be given, only taken.
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2011 :  23:12:00  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Maybe Dragonturtle soup... served FRESH.

As for 'Ed Creations', I used to think he took a lot from various (old) monster manuals. Then I realized those monsters first appeared in Dragon Magazine.

Then I realized Ed WROTE many of those articles.

Ed is responsible for as much as D&D as Gary Gygax is, if not more. For instance, Ed created the greater age-ranges for dragons, amongst other things. It isn't just the critters we can thank him for - everything from Hin customs to Drow gods to flying ships has had his hand on them. Bits of Ed can be found in nearly every other official setting.

Edit: My point is, trying to 'quantify' how much Ed has done for the game itself is nearly impossible, so making lists of monsters, spells, whatever... is pretty hard.

And the people griping about Paizo putting gunpowder in their Pathfinder with the Gunslinger should throw a beady eye Ed's way was well, if I recall correctly.

Not me though, as my first favourite writer was Alexandre Dumas (the elder), and you can't have proper swashbuckling without some missed musket-shots.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2011 :  23:46:14  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Hello all,

Ed I have a sleep walking mage, what would you say it were possible to cast under such conditions, weave-easy so to speak. I've seen people sleep walk so I know they could manipulate pouches and all but could they pull on weave to do anything other than cantrips without awakening or worse can the weave ride them in this state to cast say 3rd and higher level spells?

Ever occur in your games?
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2011 :  00:01:58  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message
These are most of Ed's new, fully described Dragon monsters: wingless wonder, tomb tapper, lythlyx, rhaumbusun, stroan, dyll, sull, beguiler, bleeder, firetail, killer beetle, bichir, bohun tree, calygraunt, cantobele, duleep, flailtail, giant horseshoe crab, dark naga, peltast, scallion, seastar, giant shrike, sind, vurgen, wind steed, sinister, night hunter, werebat, hundar, gloomwing, azmyth, belabra, bhaergala, firestar, flamewing, orgautha, xaver, burbur, hamadryad, orpsu, opilionid, sashalus, weredragon, fang dragon, lock lurker, lybbarde, metalmaster, serplar, thylacine, glyptar, magebane, quezzer, scythetail, xantravar, banelar, flameskull, foulwing, whipsting

Scores more got into Ruins of Undermountain, Ruins of Myth Drannor, and other sourcebooks and adventures; I suspect TSR had a surplus from him in the early 90s and found space for them where they could.
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7968 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2011 :  00:34:10  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message
createvmind —

There's lots of information about sleepwalking (somnambulism) online. Wikipedia claims that sleepwalkers have been known to operate vehicles and machinery, write semi-coherent emails, interact with other people, and perform other complex tasks "in a state of low consciousness". The psychology of dreaming is still poorly understood.

Spell level in itself is probably not a factor; some spells require mental alertness, effort, concentration, or access to skills and processes in parts of the mind which don't function while asleep. Conversely, some spells actually require the caster enters a trance or unfocussed dreamlike state while casting.

A spellcaster might for example manifest powerful illusions and divinations, animal friendship, teleport, fly, waterwalk, emotion, polymorph, invisible stalker, maze, and wish while unawake; but would seem unlikely to manage even simple necromancies, enchantments, conjurations, metamagics, dispel magic, and power words since these require deliberate focus, calculated manipulation of parameters, and directed or contested force of will. The more familiar (and oft-used) a spell, the more chance of being able to cast it subconsciously. Spells would still require physical components, telesma, props, etc. Any spell which causes a lot of light, noise (including screaming), pain, wetness, burning, cold, energy drain, etc would probably instantly wake the caster. Spells would probably still need to be memorized, but the caster might actually be able to "read" spellbooks in his mind. Most people are unable to read text or process symbols and formulae while dreaming. Some people are able to learn skills which let them control their dreaming. You might make life marginally easier by having a dreaming wizard cast destructive spells like fireball as illusions. You might arbitrarily disallow spells like permanency or contact other plane which risk inflicting permanent insanity, aging, draining, or death since being killed by your own dreams would really suck. A possible in-game justification would be a benign god/goddess or other entity who protects those who dream, though malign nightmarish entities would then also exist.

[Edit]

I might be mistaken, but I recall reading somewhere about a demiplane of Dreams. Published rules/guidelines for dreamcasting might already exist, if that helps at all.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 07 Feb 2011 01:26:25
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2011 :  01:04:23  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Arik

I might be mistaken, but I recall reading somewhere about a demiplane of Dreams. Published rules/guidelines for dreamcasting might already exist, if that helps at all.

You're likely thinking of the 2e's planar interpretation of the Demiplane of Dreams, presented in relevant PLANESCAPE sources and the like. Or, you could be thinking of RAVENLOFT's Nightmare Lands Domain, which was also 2e, and featured a dream-like setting, with rules associated for such adventuring.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7968 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2011 :  01:09:18  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message
Thanx Sage. I find createvmind's question very inspirational.

2E Psionicists had access to powers like dream travel. Dreaming in D&D (where magic, planes, gods, and psionics all exist) offers a lot of possibilities.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 07 Feb 2011 01:39:06
Go to Top of Page

Eldacar
Senior Scribe

438 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2011 :  10:51:42  Show Profile Send Eldacar a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
Originally posted by Arik

You're likely thinking of the 2e's planar interpretation of the Demiplane of Dreams, presented in relevant PLANESCAPE sources and the like. Or, you could be thinking of RAVENLOFT's Nightmare Lands Domain, which was also 2e, and featured a dream-like setting, with rules associated for such adventuring.

There was a Region of Dreams presented in the 3rd edition Manual of the Planes as well. It's coterminous to the Material plane and whatever other planes that the DM desires (Inner, Outer or Transitive). The plane is described as where dreams cavort - both good dreams and nightmares, which create effects on the surroundings within the Region of Dreams. The easiest way to get to it is through the Portal of Sleep (i.e. by sleeping), but there are those who can walk dreamscapes at will, known as Dreamwalkers (they normally access the Dreaming via either the Portal of Sleep or, if they're skilled at magic, with the Dream Travel spell - some portals also exist).

Libris Mortis (a 3E book, IIRC) presents rules for "Dreamcasting" and the like (as a couple of feats and some spells) while Manual of the Planes includes the "Lucid Dreaming" skill.

I use the Region of Dreams in my own campaigns, as a place similar to the Dreaming from Sandman. I don't know if it exists in the official Realmslore, though (meaning as an actual part of the cosmology - it doesn't appear in the Tree, though I'm not as sure about the Wheel).

"The Wild Mages I have met exhibit a startling disregard for common sense, and are often meddling with powers far beyond their own control." ~Volo
"Not unlike a certain travelogue author with whom I am unfortunately acquainted." ~Elminster
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2011 :  18:41:00  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message
Hmm, I suddenly have an inspiration for a god and domain of dreams for my campaigns..... Hypnos/Somnus, anyone? I seem to recall some dream-focused PrC in 3.5. Can't remember which book, though. Could be useful to you, createvmind.

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2011 :  00:47:54  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Alystra Illianniis

Hmm, I suddenly have an inspiration for a god and domain of dreams for my campaigns..... Hypnos/Somnus, anyone? I seem to recall some dream-focused PrC in 3.5. Can't remember which book, though. Could be useful to you, createvmind.

The Earth Dreamer PrC, perhaps, from Races of Stone?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2011 :  05:36:56  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message
No, this was focused more on nightmares. Something along the lines of Dreamscape, if anyone remembers that movie. A class that could induce nightmares in others or invade their dreams. Sort of a necromantic feel, IIRC.

My stories:

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7968 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2011 :  09:57:48  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message
Oneiromancy, dream magic. Taken from classical Greek mythology, where it is most often described as a form of divination.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 60 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000