Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

 All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2011)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 71

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2389 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2011 :  22:09:59  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message
I was out walking earlier today and, as often happens, random thoughts were flowing through my head. One of them that I grabbed and held onto was the idea of Chosen of Mystryl. I know someone asked about them years ago and got a "nice catch, can't say more" from Ed. Since it has been some number of years (4? 5? More than a few, at least), I thought I'd check in and see if Ed can shed any more light on the Chosen of Mystryl.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3747 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2011 :  22:25:09  Show Profile  Click to see Alystra Illianniis's MSN Messenger address Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message
Wasn't Karsus one? I seem to remember seeing that somewhere.

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief
Moderator

USA
29906 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2011 :  00:55:01  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Alystra Illianniis

Wasn't Karsus one? I seem to remember seeing that somewhere.



I don't recall seeing that one anywhere... If he was, then she chose... poorly.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High
Moderator

Australia
31688 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2011 :  01:10:09  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Alystra Illianniis

Wasn't Karsus one? I seem to remember seeing that somewhere.

I don't think that would've been from an official source.

Additional thought on this:- you might possibly be confusing it with the speculation about Larloch and Mystryl, and the unique relationship they share?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5037 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2011 :  02:58:38  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Ed just sent me an e-mail, that included these replies:

To Azuth, re. what we may or may not learn in BURY ELMINSTER DEEP: Nope.

and to Hoondatha, re. the Chosen of Mystryl: Not yet. Sorry. I'm working on this.

. . . more in a few days, if Ed survives the major winter storm heading his way (my way, too). ;}
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2011 :  05:44:46  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Alystra Illianniis

Wasn't Karsus one? I seem to remember seeing that somewhere.



Maybe in one of those speculations-fraught threads.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2011 :  05:48:02  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One. . . more in a few days, if Ed survives the major winter storm heading his way (my way, too). ;}
love to all,
THO



Guess you'd better find someone warm to snuggle up with then

...egads! I'm offered to give someone a christmas spanking and doesn't respond until over a month later. I'm really out of practice.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3053 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2011 :  12:34:15  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage  Click to see Alisttair's MSN Messenger address Send Alisttair a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Alisttair

Hi Ed and THO. I recently handed out some recipes to my players in my campaign that I got from some Volo's guides (the ones for Roasted Cockatrice, Stag Sausage and Dragon soup I think). Anyways, I was wondering if Ed has a more comprehensive list of exotic and/or regular recipes for the realms? Are there any famously penned cookbooks? Region specifics? Also, anything with accompanying faerunian wine recommendations? (speaking of which, what kind of wine would go well with roasted cockatrice??)

edit: iPhone



Hi Ed and THO, if its not too late to add to this question in regards to the wines.

Do Faerunians make different wines from different grape varieties, or is it just whatever grape happens to grow in the region and they just call the grape by its color (and thus the wine simply by the region)? So are there sub-types of wines, say for example, does Cormyr have its own Cabernet Sauvignon, Pinot Noir, Merlot, etc... and subsequently, Calimshan as another example having its own styles for the same grape varieties due to its differing climate?

Again thanks for all the juicy lore!

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Knight of the Gate
Senior Scribe

USA
623 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2011 :  23:19:37  Show Profile  Visit Knight of the Gate's Homepage  Send Knight of the Gate a Yahoo! Message Send Knight of the Gate a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Alisttair

Hi Ed and THO, if its not too late to add to this question in regards to the wines.

Do Faerunians make different wines from different grape varieties, or is it just whatever grape happens to grow in the region and they just call the grape by its color (and thus the wine simply by the region)? So are there sub-types of wines, say for example, does Cormyr have its own Cabernet Sauvignon, Pinot Noir, Merlot, etc... and subsequently, Calimshan as another example having its own styles for the same grape varieties due to its differing climate?

Again thanks for all the juicy lore!


I asked Ed much the same question in 2009; If you care to look it up, he (and THO)gave a rather thorough answer, if not, I have it saved on my home compy and I will PM it to you tomorrow.

How can life be so bountiful, providing such sublime rewards for mediocrity? -Umberto Ecco

Edited by - Knight of the Gate on 01 Feb 2011 23:21:50
Go to Top of Page

Vangelor
Learned Scribe

USA
182 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2011 :  01:48:03  Show Profile  Visit Vangelor's Homepage Send Vangelor a Private Message
A parcel of questions for Ed, if her Hooded Goodness would be so kind. Vhaeraun may be dead in the 4e Realms, but he is very much alive in mine. That said:

1. Did Ed create Vhaeraun? If not, whom should I ask?

2. How would the Masked Lord manifest a sign of his favor to his faithful? How would he indicate his displeasure?

3. Has it ever been firmly established that Vhaeraun is not the same entity worshipped as Mask?

Any and all answers would be greatly appreciated.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High
Moderator

Australia
31688 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2011 :  02:35:36  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message
I can answer your first query, Vangelor:-

Vhaeraun was indeed an Ed Greenwood creation, from FOR2 The Drow of the Underdark.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Vangelor
Learned Scribe

USA
182 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2011 :  03:45:11  Show Profile  Visit Vangelor's Homepage Send Vangelor a Private Message
Thank you kindly, Sage. I thought I recalled reading that, in an old Realmslore answer regarding Eilistraee, but could not track it dowm.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
13457 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2011 :  03:48:47  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
As for #3, I would say Lady Penitent (IIRC - I never read it) puts a firm 'impossible' on that one. However, the gods being what they are, and knowing Ed's take on them, I suppose it's still possible (although HIGHLY improbable given the events of that series).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief
Moderator

USA
29906 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2011 :  04:23:49  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Vangelor

2. How would the Masked Lord manifest a sign of his favor to his faithful? How would he indicate his displeasure?


Demihuman Deities would answer this one.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High
Moderator

Australia
31688 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2011 :  05:22:06  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Vangelor

Thank you kindly, Sage. I thought I recalled reading that, in an old Realmslore answer regarding Eilistraee, but could not track it dowm.

It's also something Ed has talked about previously here at Candlekeep. [Though not in any "Questions for Ed Greenwood" scroll, as I recall. 'Twas another discussion about the origins of the drow pantheon.]

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

manaeater
Acolyte

13 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2011 :  05:37:19  Show Profile Send manaeater a Private Message
Speaking of Vhaeraun. I just wondered what a male drow from the underdark will generaly choose:Eilistraee or Vhaeraun as his patron diety? Like I understand Eilistraee promise peace and redemption but at the same time serving her doesn't bring much power to drow male, Vhaeraun gives power to drow males but he is an evil diety . Just thought that majority of drow females go to Eilistraee and drow males to Vhaeraun.
Go to Top of Page

_Jarlaxle_
Senior Scribe

Germany
542 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2011 :  11:36:01  Show Profile Send _Jarlaxle_ a Private Message
Since Eilistraee is dead I don't think there a much people choosing her as a diety nowadays

Edited by - _Jarlaxle_ on 02 Feb 2011 11:36:15
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3053 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2011 :  11:57:01  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage  Click to see Alisttair's MSN Messenger address Send Alisttair a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Knight of the Gate

quote:
Originally posted by Alisttair

Hi Ed and THO, if its not too late to add to this question in regards to the wines.

Do Faerunians make different wines from different grape varieties, or is it just whatever grape happens to grow in the region and they just call the grape by its color (and thus the wine simply by the region)? So are there sub-types of wines, say for example, does Cormyr have its own Cabernet Sauvignon, Pinot Noir, Merlot, etc... and subsequently, Calimshan as another example having its own styles for the same grape varieties due to its differing climate?

Again thanks for all the juicy lore!


I asked Ed much the same question in 2009; If you care to look it up, he (and THO)gave a rather thorough answer, if not, I have it saved on my home compy and I will PM it to you tomorrow.



Feel free to PM away KOG. Thanks!

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Nicolai Withander
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1071 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2011 :  23:09:49  Show Profile Send Nicolai Withander a Private Message
Hello and well met THO and Ed... The supreme master of ALL lore on the face of Toril and any other sphere of exsistence... in the entire multivers!!!

Now... to my qestion for the Master himself: If you (Ed) were to create a chosen template, like Chosen of Mystra but for The Seldarine, say Corellion or a more generel elven pantheon chosen Template, how would that look like??? Uhh... and this is 3.0/3.5 rules!!

Thanks againg for the awesome world that you have created

Your fellow gamer

Nicola

Edited by - Nicolai Withander on 02 Feb 2011 23:10:42
Go to Top of Page

Azuth
Senior Scribe

USA
402 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2011 :  00:02:20  Show Profile  Visit Azuth's Homepage Send Azuth a Private Message
THO -

"Nope" as in "I can't tell you" or "Nope" as in, "No, you won't find the answer to your question in Bury Elminster Deep."

The clarity is much appreciated!

Azuth, the First Magister
Lord of All Spells

quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Hi again, all.
Ed just sent me an e-mail, that included these replies:

To Azuth, re. what we may or may not learn in BURY ELMINSTER DEEP: Nope.

and to Hoondatha, re. the Chosen of Mystryl: Not yet. Sorry. I'm working on this.

. . . more in a few days, if Ed survives the major winter storm heading his way (my way, too). ;}
love to all,
THO


Azuth, the First Magister
Lord of All Spells

The greatest expression of creativity is through Art.
Offense can never be given, only taken.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5037 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2011 :  01:45:53  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Azuth, I can't be sure of precise prose details in BURY ELMINSTER DEEP.
Even Ed can't be sure of them right now, being as it's in copyediting or still has to be copyedited.
He can't legally tell you what's in the book. Yet he CAN tell you what isn't. So, no, you won't find the answer to your question (the fates of the Seven Sisters) in BURY ELMINSTER DEEP.
Ed does hint that you "may be a trifle wiser about such matters" by the end of it.
No, neither he nor I will further define "trifle" for you. Yet.
After August of 2011, however . . .
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Azuth
Senior Scribe

USA
402 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2011 :  02:00:28  Show Profile  Visit Azuth's Homepage Send Azuth a Private Message
XOXO THO

Azuth

quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Hi again, all.
Azuth, I can't be sure of precise prose details in BURY ELMINSTER DEEP.
Even Ed can't be sure of them right now, being as it's in copyediting or still has to be copyedited.
He can't legally tell you what's in the book. Yet he CAN tell you what isn't. So, no, you won't find the answer to your question (the fates of the Seven Sisters) in BURY ELMINSTER DEEP.
Ed does hint that you "may be a trifle wiser about such matters" by the end of it.
No, neither he nor I will further define "trifle" for you. Yet.
After August of 2011, however . . .
love,
THO


Azuth, the First Magister
Lord of All Spells

The greatest expression of creativity is through Art.
Offense can never be given, only taken.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief
Moderator

USA
29906 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2011 :  02:08:28  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Nicolai Withander

Hello and well met THO and Ed... The supreme master of ALL lore on the face of Toril and any other sphere of exsistence... in the entire multivers!!!

Now... to my qestion for the Master himself: If you (Ed) were to create a chosen template, like Chosen of Mystra but for The Seldarine, say Corellion or a more generel elven pantheon chosen Template, how would that look like??? Uhh... and this is 3.0/3.5 rules!!

Thanks againg for the awesome world that you have created

Your fellow gamer

Nicola



Keep in mind Ed is more of a lore person, and doesn't use 3.x rules in his home campaign.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Nicolai Withander
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1071 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2011 :  02:31:56  Show Profile Send Nicolai Withander a Private Message
Well I know he's wimsicle in that lorish way... but since im interested in how h would personally go by such buisness, well then thats what im gonna ask. And hopefully He or you THO can answer my question.

And just to set something strait. Im not lokking for any "canon" lore on Chosen of the Seldarine, but merely a personal idea or hedding!!!

So again... im hoping for a reply!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High
Moderator

Australia
31688 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2011 :  02:41:07  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Nicolai Withander

Well I know he's wimsicle in that lorish way... but since im interested in how h would personally go by such buisness, well then thats what im gonna ask. And hopefully He or you THO can answer my question.

And just to set something strait. Im not lokking for any "canon" lore on Chosen of the Seldarine, but merely a personal idea or hedding!!!

So again... im hoping for a reply!

While I'm sure he will undoubtedly reply, I feel it's important to repeat what Wooly said above, about Ed and the rules he uses for his home Realms campaigns.

As such, this may hamper/delay his response to some degree. So please be patient.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 71 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000