Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2011)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 71

Sandro
Learned Scribe

New Zealand
266 Posts

Posted - 25 Dec 2011 :  09:28:54  Show Profile  Click to see Sandro's MSN Messenger address Send Sandro a Private Message
A few months ago, I found the anthology "We Three Dragons" on a sale table at my local Borders, and picked it up for some unreasonably low price. In need of some seasonal reading the other night, I pulled it off the shelf and read through it, and greatly enjoyed Ed's contribution, "Wrathclaw's Wyrmtide". Or, in this thread, I suppose that is to say I great enjoyed your contribution, Ed. 'Twas a fun and festive read. Here's wishing you a Merry Christmas, and a safe and warm Wyrmtide to any dragons you may have met over the years.

"Gods, little fishes, and spells to turn the one to the other," Mordenkainen sighed. "It's started already..."
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 25 Dec 2011 :  10:09:25  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message

Has Alassra ever had romantic relationship with any of the zulkirs?

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5036 Posts

Posted - 25 Dec 2011 :  16:51:16  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all!
Sandro, Ed says thank you very much, and Merry Christmas/Hale Yuletide/Happy Holidays/Happy Hanukkah/Kicky Kwanza to you and to all scribes!

Dennis: yes. See THE SIMBUL'S GIFT by Lynn Abbey...
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2011 :  00:20:47  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message

I read that. It wasn't really clear if she had romantic relationship with Lauzoril. Though if I recall it right, she said something like she would have considered it if he were not one of her enemies.

Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2011 :  03:58:25  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Happy holidays all.

Ed does the head of a medusa still turn those who gaze at it to stone even if the medusa is dead but the head is preserved?
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2011 :  04:59:25  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message

In his very long existence, for sure Elminster must have had his fair share of mistakes. But what do you consider his BIGGEST mistake?

Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Master of Realmslore

1960 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2011 :  05:15:08  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

In his very long existence, for sure Elminster must have had his fair share of mistakes. But what do you consider his BIGGEST mistake?

I wonder if the answer is going to be along the lines of not being able to save somoen of promise by being late or having to kill someone of promise because said npc overstepped themselves....

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2011 :  05:24:41  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message

Perhaps. Maybe the mistake has to do with Mystra, Alassra, the other Chosen, or his wives.

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5036 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2011 :  18:05:29  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Dennis, re. this: "It wasn't really clear if she had romantic relationship with Lauzoril."
Ahem, are you SURE you read it? Because Lynn's story is quite clear about the relationship. No sex scenes in the foreground or bald statements or anything of that sort, but it WAS the entire thrust of the novel. (I suppose your response might be tied to the narrowest interpretation of "romantic relationship." ?)
I might add that an attentive reading of Ed's novels, the root and core of the Realms for us all whatever your personal opinions of them, make it clear that Alassra has had multiple relationships with various zulkirs (not to mention others ), over the centuries.

And re. this: "In his very long existence, for sure Elminster must have had his fair share of mistakes. But what do you consider his BIGGEST mistake?"
Ed replies:

Sorry, Dennis, but this has been asked many times, and has officially been NDA from 1987 onwards, due to VERY slowly-maturing future plans. A good question, mind you - - just not an answer that can be revealed quite yet. However, I will say that sfdragon's speculation is closer than your response to him. What you were suggesting is more closely related to lots of El's smaller mistakes. :}

And createvmind, Ed says: it depends on precisely HOW the medusa's head is preserved (pickling and turning to stone end the petrification power, but certain complicated magic-aided preservation processes preserve it; if it head starts to rot, the "stoning" ability definitely fails).

So saith Ed (and me). More later, when I can get through to Ed (he's been hopscotching through multiple family Christmases, said hopscotching involving several hundred miles of driving)...
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5036 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2011 :  18:22:52  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, everyone. A new e-mail from Ed just appeared in my inbox, and contains another lore response, this one to createvmind's: "what unique circumstance can free a spawn from master vampire not involving destruction of either or master releasing spawn?
Can anything temporarily free a spawn of master's influence and is the master ALWAYS aware when this occurs or can the master be impaired in some manner that accidentally frees spawn?"
Ed replies:

Certain combinations of magical wards, proactive spellcastings (e.g. involving hallow effects), and innate powers of greater unique undead and archdevils and divine servitors can end a master vampire's domination of a spawn without (necessarily) destroying either master vampire or spawn. More often, the master spawn is severely harmed to sever the link between it and any of its spawn.
Yes, there are temporary magical (and ward-field) means of freeing a spawn, but they must be VERY carefully worded or configured (and these include lesser spells than a wish, though a properly-worded wish will indeed work, for temporary or permanent freedom).
And yes, VERY rarely a master vampire can be impaired so as to be unaware that spawn freedom has occurred. (Again, arranging this is not easy.)
Sorry to be so vague/careful in my wording, but that's the inescapable nature of weighing in on "rules" matters...

So saith Ed. Who, BTW, is happily back at work on Realmslore work for our shared future entertainment!!!
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2011 :  18:31:34  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Dear Ed,
Last night I was at a late-night Christmas party for staff at a downtown Toronto hospital, and met a GORGEOUS lady who turned out to be not just a Realms fan, but a friend of yours. (Nickname "Cherry Chocolate," ahem.)
She said you had helped several writers she knew get published, and were working behind the scenes on "a great new literary project, outside of gaming." When I speculated that this was more of your Hollywood-related work, she said no, this was something else.
Care to share? If you can, at this time? Inquiring minds...
BB
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm
Learned Scribe

242 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2011 :  18:33:11  Show Profile  Visit Malcolm's Homepage Send Malcolm a Private Message
Heh. Might it be some of the television work Ed's up to?
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2011 :  18:34:57  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
No. I should have said that Cherry verbally lumped Ed's TV and movie work together...
BB
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2011 :  18:46:13  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message

I don't know if we read the same book, or the same version. Mayhap you read the unproofed copy? As I recall, the only man (in the said novel) Alassra explicitly mentioned she'd had romantic involvement with (other than El, of course) is Lailomun, who became Mythrell'aa's pet. Lauzoril didn't seem to recognize her when he first met her in her true form. To quote:

quote:
Lauzoril sat back, cursing himself for ignoring Shazzelurt's warnings. He expanded his awareness—his suspicions. The youth had been snatched by Mythrell'aa of Illusion because the woman, the stubborn woman whose brown hair now flowed silver in the moonlight was Aglarond's queen, the Simbul. He recognized her from descriptions Red Wizard spies funneled back to Thay and, more reliably, from the one time when he'd spied through his knife and felt her essence in his mind.

Now, one can't have a romantic relationship with someone he hardly knows, can he?

Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2011 :  19:27:33  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Hi again, all.
Dennis, re. this: "It wasn't really clear if she had romantic relationship with Lauzoril."
Ahem, are you SURE you read it? Because Lynn's story is quite clear about the relationship. No sex scenes in the foreground or bald statements or anything of that sort, but it WAS the entire thrust of the novel. (I suppose your response might be tied to the narrowest interpretation of "romantic relationship." ?)
I might add that an attentive reading of Ed's novels, the root and core of the Realms for us all whatever your personal opinions of them, make it clear that Alassra has had multiple relationships with various zulkirs (not to mention others ), over the centuries.

And re. this: "In his very long existence, for sure Elminster must have had his fair share of mistakes. But what do you consider his BIGGEST mistake?"
Ed replies:

Sorry, Dennis, but this has been asked many times, and has officially been NDA from 1987 onwards, due to VERY slowly-maturing future plans. A good question, mind you - - just not an answer that can be revealed quite yet. However, I will say that sfdragon's speculation is closer than your response to him. What you were suggesting is more closely related to lots of El's smaller mistakes. :}

And createvmind, Ed says: it depends on precisely HOW the medusa's head is preserved (pickling and turning to stone end the petrification power, but certain complicated magic-aided preservation processes preserve it; if it head starts to rot, the "stoning" ability definitely fails).

So saith Ed (and me). More later, when I can get through to Ed (he's been hopscotching through multiple family Christmases, said hopscotching involving several hundred miles of driving)...
love to all,
THO

Thank you Ed, additional query, these complex magical preservations have ability to increase the difficulty to resist petrification as well or possible make certain beings not subject to the gaze by the will of wielder of head or imbuer of head?
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2011 :  19:30:18  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Hi again, everyone. A new e-mail from Ed just appeared in my inbox, and contains another lore response, this one to createvmind's: "what unique circumstance can free a spawn from master vampire not involving destruction of either or master releasing spawn?
Can anything temporarily free a spawn of master's influence and is the master ALWAYS aware when this occurs or can the master be impaired in some manner that accidentally frees spawn?"
Ed replies:

Certain combinations of magical wards, proactive spellcastings (e.g. involving hallow effects), and innate powers of greater unique undead and archdevils and divine servitors can end a master vampire's domination of a spawn without (necessarily) destroying either master vampire or spawn. More often, the master spawn is severely harmed to sever the link between it and any of its spawn.
Yes, there are temporary magical (and ward-field) means of freeing a spawn, but they must be VERY carefully worded or configured (and these include lesser spells than a wish, though a properly-worded wish will indeed work, for temporary or permanent freedom).
And yes, VERY rarely a master vampire can be impaired so as to be unaware that spawn freedom has occurred. (Again, arranging this is not easy.)
Sorry to be so vague/careful in my wording, but that's the inescapable nature of weighing in on "rules" matters...

So saith Ed. Who, BTW, is happily back at work on Realmslore work for our shared future entertainment!!!
love,
THO

Thank you, Hallow was definitely in my thoughts as well. Awesome reply.
Go to Top of Page

Merrith
Learned Scribe

133 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2011 :  08:44:09  Show Profile  Visit Merrith's Homepage Send Merrith a Private Message
quote:

Now, one can't have a romantic relationship with someone he hardly knows, can he?

Whenever dealing with wizards (especially ones of power), this seems a poor assumption to make, no?
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2011 :  14:22:30  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Merrith

quote:

Whenever dealing with wizards (especially ones of power), this seems a poor assumption to make, no?

Perhaps. But I am referring to a very specific context.

Go to Top of Page

Ralderick Hallowshaw
Seeker

Italy
36 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2011 :  15:26:17  Show Profile  Visit Ralderick Hallowshaw's Homepage Send Ralderick Hallowshaw a Private Message
First of all, happy holidays to all of you, fellow scribes.

I've a question for Ed and the lovely THO: is there in the Realms an established nomenclature of bastard offsprings, like in Martin's "A Song of Ice and Fire" (described here)?
Maybe different reigns or noble families could have different surnames for their "bastards"... For exemple I know from this article that Azoun's bastard sons are called "the Dragon's bastards" or "the Brood". What about other countries or noble families?

Thanks for a possible reply.

"Adventurers are best used to slay monsters. Sooner or later, they become your worst monsters, and you have to hire new ones to do the obvious thing" - Ralderick Hallowshaw, Jester - from To Rule A Realm, From Turret To Midden, published circa The Year of the Bloodbird

And forgive me for my bad use of English language!

Edited by - Ralderick Hallowshaw on 28 Dec 2011 18:25:59
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
13095 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2011 :  01:18:27  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
And here I though allowing Athalanter (sp?) to fall would have been "his greatest mistake', but I suppose that would entirely depend on one's point of view. Elminster-the-king might have been great for Athalanter, but not-so-great for the rest of the Realms.

Maybe this would fall under "his deepest regret" (just walking away from it).

I'm not sure if this was ever asked before - was Elminster Mystra's first Chosen? (Note: I didn't say Mystryl - that gives us around a 400 year window). Numerically, of course, not 'first amongst many' (I know how shrewd Ed's answers can be).
Also, not counting other 'agents' (since I know there was at least one Magister before El became Chosen).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 28 Dec 2011 01:20:56
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
6139 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2011 :  05:22:46  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message
I'd thought Azuth was Mystra's first chosen?

Eat lots of garlic - it keeps the elves and vampires away.
Don't stick your sword into dragons, you just don't know where they've been.
Avoid stepping on halflings. They stick to your boots, will smell awful, and are impossible to scrape off.
Ah, of course. Never play leapfrog with a unicorn.
[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31683 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2011 :  07:40:33  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message
Azuth was the first Magister. As I recall, it's never been explicitly stated that Azuth was the first Chosen of Mystra. That is, except for what Ed has said previously regarding the fact that Magisters cannot be Chosen until after they have left the office of Magister upon which some of them choose to become Chosen or are offered the new position.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2011 :  12:51:09  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message

I think it was that wizard (forgot the name) that Mystra's avatar killed in one of the earlier Elminster novels.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
13095 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2011 :  17:10:07  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
I don't think he was a chosen, if its who I am thinking of (that guy that beat-up all the hobbits 'down south').

And it was actually 551 years between the birth of Elminster and the Fall of Netheril - plenty of time for other Mystra-Chosen to be about.

Still, she was a fairly young goddess (as deities go) when she Choose El - she knew him for longer then she did not know him, during her lifetime (for about 2/3 of her godhood). No wonder they were so close.

EDIT: Hmmmm... what was Azuth's FULL mortal name?

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 28 Dec 2011 17:10:57
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
6139 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2011 :  02:56:45  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message
The oldest (that is, longest serving) Chosen of Mystra, from this list at the FR Wiki, would Queen Laranla-Embrae Aloevan, Chosen by Mystra and Sehanine in the Year of Frostfires 292DR (long before other Chosen were even born). Unfortunately driven mad and consumed by silverfire in 308DR. Technically not deceased, she is now a sort of half-ghost being trapped in an extraplanar place called the Court of Silver Fire.

Eat lots of garlic - it keeps the elves and vampires away.
Don't stick your sword into dragons, you just don't know where they've been.
Avoid stepping on halflings. They stick to your boots, will smell awful, and are impossible to scrape off.
Ah, of course. Never play leapfrog with a unicorn.
[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 71 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000