Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2011)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 71

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5043 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2011 :  07:34:26  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi, Dennis. Just got an e-mail from Ed, and it contains this reply re. Larloch and chronomancy:

Hi, Dennis. No, Larloch leaves chronomancy alone. That entire school of casting endangers many of his binding spells (that bind his liches to him, that bind cast and "hanging" [[ready to deal damage]] spells to him, and that bind magic items (used like machine gun emplacements in his site defenses) to him. It's perilous exploration for no great gain that he can see, at very high risk. And Larloch got where he now is by being very cool-headed, patient, and calculating. No good ratio of return vs. risk? Then avoid. There are many, many other projects to pursue that he KNOWS will be more successful.

So saith Ed. Who is involved in many, many things right now, most of them deeply NDA'd (or so he tells me).
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2011 :  07:42:33  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message

Thank you, Ed and THO!

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2011 :  01:14:15  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Hi All,

These are all "What If" questions.

Ed in your own campaign what would happen if Selunarra returned, first and foremost how far would you say the magical ripple would be of it reentering Faerun, radius-wise? Are there beings currently in faerun who regardless of distance from reentry would know that the city had returned immediately?

In your realms who would be some of the beings of note upon Selunarra and what would they do immediately upon reentry, would any of them also know that other beings in faerun knew they had returned other than those who actually witnessed it's return?

Would you say they would already have "eyes" in faerun to get them up to speed if the city was suddenly returned in 1373?

How much time would they have to prepare once the ritual was enacted and the city crossed planes, is it instantaneous in your minds eye?

Thanks for any little tidbit.
Could they prevent the city from returning via the ritual described in LOEF if it placed city in jeopardy upon returning?

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2011 :  03:17:26  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Hi, Dennis. Just got an e-mail from Ed, and it contains this reply re. Larloch and chronomancy:

Hi, Dennis. No, Larloch leaves chronomancy alone. That entire school of casting endangers many of his binding spells (that bind his liches to him, that bind cast and "hanging" [[ready to deal damage]] spells to him, and that bind magic items (used like machine gun emplacements in his site defenses) to him. It's perilous exploration for no great gain that he can see, at very high risk. And Larloch got where he now is by being very cool-headed, patient, and calculating. No good ratio of return vs. risk? Then avoid. There are many, many other projects to pursue that he KNOWS will be more successful.

So saith Ed. Who is involved in many, many things right now, most of them deeply NDA'd (or so he tells me).
love,
THO

Again, thanks!

Just a follow-up:

Is there any prominent archwizard in Toril who dabbled in chronomancy at some point in their long [or short] existence? Or who still does? [Other than Jeriah, of course.] Khelben? Elminster? The Srinshee? Telamont? Arklem Greeth? Gromph? Szass Tam? Lady Polaris? Lallara? The Simbul?

Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
14149 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2011 :  03:25:44  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Are there any FR terms for 'informant'? Like how they are called 'rats' or 'snitches' here?

If this has been addressed before, or anyone else has an answer, then my thanks and my apologies for being redundant.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2011 :  16:20:23  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message

Hi, Ed!

I'm researching on the world's most difficult to translate words. I found out that Ilunga, from the Tshiluba language spoken in south-eastern Democratic Republic of the Congo, has been chosen by numerous translators as the world’s most untranslatable word. Ilunga indicates a person who is ready to forgive any abuse the first time it occurs, to tolerate it the second time, but to neither forgive nor tolerate a third offense.

What word [in any of the dead or present languages in Toril] is the most difficult to translate in Common [or English]?

Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2039 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2011 :  03:03:44  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message
another question and its on neverwinter of old.....

what did Nasher Alagondar's coat of arms look like?

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2011 :  06:41:54  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message

What's the most distasteful/horrible spell ingredient that a sane, live human wizard has to eat/drink?

Edited by - Dennis on 21 Nov 2011 13:46:10
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
4907 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2011 :  07:46:30  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis
Is there any prominent archwizard in Toril who dabbled in chronomancy at some point in their long [or short] existence? Or who still does? [Other than Jeriah, of course.] Khelben? Elminster? The Srinshee? Telamont? Arklem Greeth? Gromph? Szass Tam? Lady Polaris? Lallara? The Simbul?

I've long postulated that Laeral of the Seven Sisters spent a year in Myth Drannor. That would explain how the spell "Laeral's Dancing Dweomer" is found in The Workbook, one of the spellbooks of the Seven Wizards that introduced such worthies as Tulrun of the Tent and Caligarde.

She likely even met a very young, unnamed Khelben Arunsun there ... but that's a story for another day.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
30283 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2011 :  10:57:19  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:

What's the most distasteful/horrible spell ingredient that a wizard has to "eat/drink"?

I'd imagine that this depends on the caster... I know that once my grandfather made pork brains and scrambled eggs for dinner. He was loving it -- I thought it was so vile that I actually wiped my tongue off with a paper towel after taking a taste.

So one caster may love crunching on a spider while casting spider climb, but the next one may have to fight his gag reflex to do the same thing.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2011 :  13:44:45  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

What's the most distasteful/horrible spell ingredient that a wizard has to "eat/drink"?

I'd imagine that this depends on the caster... I know that once my grandfather made pork brains and scrambled eggs for dinner. He was loving it -- I thought it was so vile that I actually wiped my tongue off with a paper towel after taking a taste.

So one caster may love crunching on a spider while casting spider climb, but the next one may have to fight his gag reflex to do the same thing.

Generally speaking, that is. I'm sure no "sane" human wizard would find a dead rat palatable. But I edited my previous to make it a little bit more specific---since "wizard" encompasses all sorts of beings, including undead/quasi-undead who can swallow things that common "live" human wizards would find absolutely distasteful.

Edited by - Dennis on 21 Nov 2011 13:47:38
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2011 :  13:49:44  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message

Hi, Ed!

An advance Valentines question for you:

How do you say "I love you" in all the "known" [dead and present] languages of Toril?

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31690 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2011 :  15:05:56  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

I've long postulated that Laeral of the Seven Sisters spent a year in Myth Drannor.
Have you ever postulated further what Laeral may have actually done during that year in Myth Drannor, Krash?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5043 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2011 :  17:58:00  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, all.
I bring two responses from Ed.
The first, to what Krash has posted about Laeral:

Heh. That postulation is more than correct. ;}

And the second, to this from Dennis: "What word [in any of the dead or present languages in Toril] is the most difficult to translate in Common [or English]?"
Ed replies:

Dennis, I’m not certain, but of all the Realmslore I’ve created, it would probably be the Draconic word “rlin’d’kraukh”
. . . which means, in Common: “small and somewhat intelligent mammal that is not a transformed dragon nor the favored of a dragon nor carrying a dragon egg or seed or other dragon relic, wittingly or unwittingly, that is, so far as I know, not openly and formally an ally, servant, slave, or worker-in-common-cause with a dragon, but that is a coerced or unwitting pawn I believe I can manipulate, whose behavior I can predict with fair confidence, because of its observed prior behavior under duress or manipulation of myself or other dragonkind.” (This is further colored by usage: a dragon would not use this word of someone they weren't eager to manipulate because they considered the creature to be manipulated relatively weak, unsuitable, or distasteful. They use it for ideal or useful pawns they anticipate using in successful ways.)

Note: by “small and somewhat intelligent,” what is meant is a creature habitually of smaller size than an older-than-newborn-hatchling dragon of my sort, that is intelligent enough to speak, remember messages and individual creatures met in the past, and master at least one articulate language. In other words, humans (and all of the demi-human and humanoid races).

There are certainly many more baffling words in the Realms, that have to do with faith-specific religious concepts or school-specific magical details . . . but they are specialized jargon, not difficult to translate at all for those who have the proper frames of reference (are of the right faith with the proper inner teachings, or have the right magical mastery and knowledge).
For instance, it’s hard to describe the color green to someone who’s been blind from birth - - and it’s hard to describe the feel of the Weave when working with it in certain manners under particular conditions, to someone who’s never “felt the Weave” because they have no aptitude for the Art at all.
But for someone who has shared experiences or guild initiations or technical training with the speaker, word meanings come more easily.

So saith Ed. Who has been slowly developing Realms linguistics for forty-five years now, and is still going strong...
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2011 :  01:49:16  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message

Thanks, Ed and THO! That's an interesting word. I wonder, are the languages of the aboleths and the phaerimm more complicated than draconic?

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5043 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2011 :  04:21:08  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Dennis, they are certainly harder for humans to communicate eloquently in, being full of clicks and liquid glottals plus scent releases, but Ed will have to answer re. truly more "complicated," being as I know almost nothing about the STRUCTURE of those languages...
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2011 :  04:35:36  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message

That's what I suspected. Also, [since Troy Denning is unreachable here at the 'Keep, I hope you don't mind my asking you instead] does Melegaunt's ability to comprehend the pharimm's language involve spellcasting, or did he just learn it from years of patient observations.

Edited by - Dennis on 22 Nov 2011 04:39:30
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2011 :  03:20:28  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Dear Ed and THO,
I was talking with a gent in a business meeting today who fondly remembers Ed DMing him at a long-ago local convention up in Ontario. Ed had three "gorgeous" ladies with him who played in the game and who he was co-writing a romance novel with, at the time.
I will quite understand if you don't want to answer these, but here goes anyway:
Were any of those three lovely ladies THO?
And what was that novel's title?

Inquiring minds want to know.
BB
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2011 :  10:43:30  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message

Hi, Ed!

It might appear strange to hear these questions from someone who doesn't like dragons. But I'm writing something [or rather, is forced to write] about dragons... Anyway, my questions:

Do [Torilian] dragons eat/kill their malformed/abnormal young?

Could some of them have used the abnormal young as common peons---forcing them to run errands that no dragonkin would ever accept; that only their lowly servants [humans, orcs, goblins, whatever] are expected to do? Or do they think the abnormal young would stain their fearsome reputation and are therefore not allowed to exist at all?

Go to Top of Page

dravenloft
Seeker

USA
35 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2011 :  23:00:21  Show Profile  Visit dravenloft's Homepage  Send dravenloft an AOL message  Send dravenloft an ICQ Message  Click to see dravenloft's MSN Messenger address  Send dravenloft a Yahoo! Message Send dravenloft a Private Message
quote:

Heh. I know the answer to your Question A is NDA, because that's been asked before at a GenCon seminar, and apparently a TSR editor asked Ed to write up a story about that, and he did, and . . . TSR is apparently sitting on it.
The B answer MIGHT be caught up in the NDA too, but I'm not sure. So off your post goes to Ed, to see what he'll cough up.
Oh, and about the sock drawer? El or Lhaeo would just knit new ones, or borrow some long dancers' stockings from Jhaele or "leg warmer" thingies from Storm.
If it was his underwear drawer, he'd just go commando.
How do I know these things?
I asked.
Years back.
No, really. (Yes, I AM that sort of a girl.)
love,
THO

I just noticed something about this reply ... "leg warmer" thingies?

Space Opera, Planetary Romance, Speculative Fiction and similar by me.
check it out at http://universal-nexus.com
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5043 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2011 :  16:16:24  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.

dravenloft, "leg warmer" was local (in Ontario, Canada) argot for knitted, stretchy cylindrical warm slip-on coverings that go over the knees and ankles of the wearer. As seen in the FLASHDANCE exercise scenes, and briefly, back then, fashionable with teenaged girls everywhere who'd never seen the inside of a dance studio and never intended to.

Dennis, certain dragon types (chromatic, mainly) will always seek to eliminate potential future rivals, and scorn the weak. However, I strongly suspect that Ed's answer to you is going to in part state that dragons are as intelligent and varied as humans, so generalized answers for their behaviour (re. killing/eating deformed/abnormal young) are going to be shaky at best.

Ed promises me some more lore responses in a day or two. Right now, he's cooking for himself and his wife before trundling off to his day job at the library...
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
14149 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2011 :  19:42:02  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
@Dennis - IIRC, there was a malformed (two-headed) dragon in the Liriel novels by Elaine. IIRC, she touched upon the dragon's past (briefly), and I recall something along the lines of her (the dragon) being alive because she shunned other dragons (most of the time). I would have contributed this to the other thread you asked this in, but I just now recalled that piece of canon.

I would suggest you ask Elaine in her thread as well - she apparently has an opinion on the matter already, and if she's already thought about it, I am sure she has considered all the variables involved (I can tell by her novels she does exhaustive research before writing anything Realmsish).

Or if we are REALLY lucky, we'll get an early Christmas present and she'll read this, and she'll respond, and Ed will chime-in with his own 'Aye' or whatever.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 26 Nov 2011 04:08:51
Go to Top of Page

dravenloft
Seeker

USA
35 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2011 :  00:21:02  Show Profile  Visit dravenloft's Homepage  Send dravenloft an AOL message  Send dravenloft an ICQ Message  Click to see dravenloft's MSN Messenger address  Send dravenloft a Yahoo! Message Send dravenloft a Private Message
quote:

Hi again, all.

dravenloft, "leg warmer" was local (in Ontario, Canada) argot for knitted, stretchy cylindrical warm slip-on coverings that go over the knees and ankles of the wearer. As seen in the FLASHDANCE exercise scenes, and briefly, back then, fashionable with teenaged girls everywhere who'd never seen the inside of a dance studio and never intended to.

Oh, right. Forgot about those … i saw leg warmer and was thinking a varient popular in Hawai'i, where I lived for awhile in the '80s, that was more like an enlarged sweatband for the ankles and didn't come near the knees or much of the shin. Needless to say El or Lheo in a few inches of elastic terry cloth was a disturbing enough mental image I hoped I was misunderstanding. Glad to know I was..

Space Opera, Planetary Romance, Speculative Fiction and similar by me.
check it out at http://universal-nexus.com
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2011 :  14:48:15  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message

Hi, Ed!

What's the longest festival in the Realms? How long does it last? A week? A month? A whole season?

And what's the oldest?

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5043 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2011 :  23:43:28  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Blueblade, re. this: "I was talking with a gent in a business meeting today who fondly remembers Ed DMing him at a long-ago local convention up in Ontario. Ed had three "gorgeous" ladies with him who played in the game and who he was co-writing a romance novel with, at the time. I will quite understand if you don't want to answer these, but here goes anyway:
Were any of those three lovely ladies THO?
And what was that novel's title?"
. . . Ed said it was fine if I handled this one, so here we go...
No, none of those three gorgeous femmes was me.
Ed's contract for that novel forbids him from publicly identifying himself with the project, so he can't name either the novel or the trio of lovelies. Who have all become known to the public since as either singers or actresses. (And that's as far as I'll go in providing any details as to their identities, out of respect for Ed and the details of the contract.)
Over the years, Ed has ghosted or assisted in many novels beyond those that bear his name.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 71 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000