Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2011)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 60

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2011 :  19:30:18  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Hi again, everyone. A new e-mail from Ed just appeared in my inbox, and contains another lore response, this one to createvmind's: "what unique circumstance can free a spawn from master vampire not involving destruction of either or master releasing spawn?
Can anything temporarily free a spawn of master's influence and is the master ALWAYS aware when this occurs or can the master be impaired in some manner that accidentally frees spawn?"
Ed replies:

Certain combinations of magical wards, proactive spellcastings (e.g. involving hallow effects), and innate powers of greater unique undead and archdevils and divine servitors can end a master vampire's domination of a spawn without (necessarily) destroying either master vampire or spawn. More often, the master spawn is severely harmed to sever the link between it and any of its spawn.
Yes, there are temporary magical (and ward-field) means of freeing a spawn, but they must be VERY carefully worded or configured (and these include lesser spells than a wish, though a properly-worded wish will indeed work, for temporary or permanent freedom).
And yes, VERY rarely a master vampire can be impaired so as to be unaware that spawn freedom has occurred. (Again, arranging this is not easy.)
Sorry to be so vague/careful in my wording, but that's the inescapable nature of weighing in on "rules" matters...

So saith Ed. Who, BTW, is happily back at work on Realmslore work for our shared future entertainment!!!
love,
THO

Thank you, Hallow was definitely in my thoughts as well. Awesome reply.
Go to Top of Page

Merrith
Learned Scribe

135 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2011 :  08:44:09  Show Profile  Visit Merrith's Homepage Send Merrith a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

Now, one can't have a romantic relationship with someone he hardly knows, can he?

Whenever dealing with wizards (especially ones of power), this seems a poor assumption to make, no?
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2011 :  14:22:30  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Merrith

quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

Now, one can't have a romantic relationship with someone he hardly knows, can he?

Whenever dealing with wizards (especially ones of power), this seems a poor assumption to make, no?

Perhaps. But I am referring to a very specific context.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Ralderick Hallowshaw
Acolyte

Italy
36 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2011 :  15:26:17  Show Profile  Visit Ralderick Hallowshaw's Homepage Send Ralderick Hallowshaw a Private Message
First of all, happy holidays to all of you, fellow scribes.

I've a question for Ed and the lovely THO: is there in the Realms an established nomenclature of bastard offsprings, like in Martin's "A Song of Ice and Fire" (described here)?
Maybe different reigns or noble families could have different surnames for their "bastards"... For exemple I know from this article that Azoun's bastard sons are called "the Dragon's bastards" or "the Brood". What about other countries or noble families?

Thanks for a possible reply.

"Adventurers are best used to slay monsters. Sooner or later, they become your worst monsters, and you have to hire new ones to do the obvious thing" - Ralderick Hallowshaw, Jester - from To Rule A Realm, From Turret To Midden, published circa The Year of the Bloodbird

And forgive me for my bad use of English language!

Edited by - Ralderick Hallowshaw on 28 Dec 2011 18:25:59
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2011 :  01:18:27  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
And here I though allowing Athalanter (sp?) to fall would have been "his greatest mistake', but I suppose that would entirely depend on one's point of view. Elminster-the-king might have been great for Athalanter, but not-so-great for the rest of the Realms.

Maybe this would fall under "his deepest regret" (just walking away from it).

I'm not sure if this was ever asked before - was Elminster Mystra's first Chosen? (Note: I didn't say Mystryl - that gives us around a 400 year window). Numerically, of course, not 'first amongst many' (I know how shrewd Ed's answers can be).
Also, not counting other 'agents' (since I know there was at least one Magister before El became Chosen).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 28 Dec 2011 01:20:56
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7968 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2011 :  05:22:46  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message
I'd thought Azuth was Mystra's first chosen?

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2011 :  07:40:33  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
Azuth was the first Magister. As I recall, it's never been explicitly stated that Azuth was the first Chosen of Mystra. That is, except for what Ed has said previously regarding the fact that Magisters cannot be Chosen until after they have left the office of Magister upon which some of them choose to become Chosen or are offered the new position.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2011 :  12:51:09  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message

I think it was that wizard (forgot the name) that Mystra's avatar killed in one of the earlier Elminster novels.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2011 :  17:10:07  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
I don't think he was a chosen, if its who I am thinking of (that guy that beat-up all the hobbits 'down south').

And it was actually 551 years between the birth of Elminster and the Fall of Netheril - plenty of time for other Mystra-Chosen to be about.

Still, she was a fairly young goddess (as deities go) when she Choose El - she knew him for longer then she did not know him, during her lifetime (for about 2/3 of her godhood). No wonder they were so close.

EDIT: Hmmmm... what was Azuth's FULL mortal name?

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 28 Dec 2011 17:10:57
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7968 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2011 :  02:56:45  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message
The oldest (that is, longest serving) Chosen of Mystra, from this list at the FR Wiki, would Queen Laranla-Embrae Aloevan, Chosen by Mystra and Sehanine in the Year of Frostfires 292DR (long before other Chosen were even born). Unfortunately driven mad and consumed by silverfire in 308DR. Technically not deceased, she is now a sort of half-ghost being trapped in an extraplanar place called the Court of Silver Fire.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2011 :  16:37:11  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Ed tells me Ayrik has correctly highlighted the earliest Chosen explicitly identified as such in print thus far . . . but she's not the first. Who is? NDA, yet to be revealed (but, Ed hints broadly, already onstage in the published Realms).
To Ralderick Hallowshaw's query about bastard noble offspring, Ed replies:

In his Westeros books, George cleaves closer to the real-world historical Wars of the Roses he used as his root model than I ever have. In the Realms, bastards are handled in a wide variety of ways (not just from realm to realm, but from noble family to noble family, within a realm). Some are taken in to the family as if they were fullblood legitimates (especially if "blood heirs" are few or sickly - - or if the philandering was on the part of the noble LADIES and not their lords), most are financially supported by their sires (usually on the understanding that they "stay away" from the family and not try to publicly claim kinship) and do take new surnames of their own invention (if too close to the family name, the family complains to the Heralds, and the Heralds step in to force a name- and/or heraldic change), and a few are sent away/taken away to other lands (sometimes literally thanks to a well-paid passing caravan merchant) to be reared ignorant of their true heritage, far from home. BTW, I have used this last situation thrice now for PC backgrounds (not among the Knights, but in the short-duration library campaigns I used to run), to initiate adventuring careers with a sudden summons from kin they were hitherto unaware of, when other kin have been slain in feuds or misadventures, and the few elderly survivors "call in" the unwitting bastards to "represent the house" henceforth.
This reply just scratches the surface, of course, but I still have family visiting and lots of Realmslore to write in a very short time, so . . . high bright blades, for now!

So saith Ed. Who is indeed snowed under with work and lore and everyday life. Heh. As usual.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Ralderick Hallowshaw
Acolyte

Italy
36 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2011 :  18:35:50  Show Profile  Visit Ralderick Hallowshaw's Homepage Send Ralderick Hallowshaw a Private Message
Thanks Ed and THO for the explanation and for this interesting adventure-hints.

... and happy new year to everybody!

"Adventurers are best used to slay monsters. Sooner or later, they become your worst monsters, and you have to hire new ones to do the obvious thing" - Ralderick Hallowshaw, Jester - from To Rule A Realm, From Turret To Midden, published circa The Year of the Bloodbird

And forgive me for my bad use of English language!
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2011 :  00:11:49  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message
I'm pretty sure that the Srinshee would be the 1st chosen,
look how old she is in EiMD. Plus her title roughly translated
into pushing the barrier of magic, those are strong hints I
believe.
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2011 :  09:44:49  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message
I was thinking of Larloch...

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

Cronje
Seeker

56 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2011 :  12:10:33  Show Profile Send Cronje a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by althen artren

look how old she is in EiMD. Plus her title roughly translated
into pushing the barrier of magic, those are strong hints I
believe.

It's been a few months since I last read Elminster in Myth Drannor, but didn't the Srinshee speak a little condescendingly (not overtly) about Mystra, compared to the Seldarine, at least until Mystra gave her back her youth? That would imply that she wasn't a Chosen at that time, while El definitely was. The argument could be made that she is the oldest, but definitely not the first.
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2011 :  15:59:55  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Interestingly, Barastir, I once asked Ed directly, at a convention, if Larloch was or ever had been a Chosen.
Ed's reply: "Giving you a reply to that one would be very foolish on my part. Bwooohahahaha, and so forth."
Now, if that isn't a strong hint, I'll eat my left fo . . . well, no , I won't eat it. I might need it.
But . . .
Suggestive, huh?

BB
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm
Learned Scribe

242 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2011 :  16:04:32  Show Profile  Visit Malcolm's Homepage Send Malcolm a Private Message
Before the inevitable barrage of New Year's wishes erupt and Sage hastens to close this thread and open its successor, I have a lore query for the ever-gracious Ed of the Greenwood:
Ed, what one Realms game product would you most like to "do over"?
Or to put it another way, what topic of Realmslore, already covered in published lore, needs more coverage than it has received?
I'm not thinking of updates so much as deeper and more comprehensive lore. And I'm going to ask that we leave the gods and priesthoods out of this, as you've already posted many times lamenting the lack of more temple-lore/how to play a priest in the Realms...
Thanks in advance!
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2011 :  16:06:00  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Oh, well, if we're getting back to probing questions, I have one:

THO, will you marry me?

(Pretty pretty PLEASE?)

BB
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2011 :  16:08:05  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Oh, LA, sir! La!
You'll turn this blushing gal's head, you will!
Your flattery is much appreciated, but regretfully, I must tender you this word:

No.

Yet thanks for asking. The boldness of younger scribes is . . . refreshing.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2011 :  19:37:35  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Hello all,

Ed in your campaign are there nodes that advance or slow time or magically warped areas that age things that enter it, can you tell us of any and if yes are they being used by beings, gaurded by beings or have beings, Harpers for instance made it their business to negate these areas and how so?
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2011 :  00:35:23  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Malcolm

Before the inevitable barrage of New Year's wishes erupt and Sage hastens to close this thread and open its successor ...
I usually operate on Australian time, so it's only Saturday morning here. All Candlekeep scribes still have about sixteen hours to post their last queries for 2011 before I seal this scroll and open the new one for 2012.

Edited by - The Sage on 31 Dec 2011 00:35:57
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2011 :  02:07:46  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message
Well Again All

To elaborate on my own inadequate lore generated by Brian R. James questions about 'Lost lore on Rashemen' for his backdrop article in 2012.

Ed can you elaborate on whom Ottar is? (from Ottar's Mask spell in the Seven Sisters product). The crux of the question is whether Ottar is Rashemi or not? (and/or how the witches got hold of his/her/its spell).

Many thanks

Damian

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005

Edited by - crazedventurers on 31 Dec 2011 14:42:04
Go to Top of Page

Azuth
Senior Scribe

USA
404 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2011 :  02:51:06  Show Profile  Visit Azuth's Homepage Send Azuth a Private Message

Given my obsession with the divine portfolio of the Realms, I have this final question of the year for Ed.
How much input did you have in the original/changes to the holy symbols of the deities? In the OGB, they were just black and white, and in Adventures, they remained so with less description (it seemed to me) but they finally got their glory in the 3E FRCG. I felt a little cheated in the 4E book given how large the remaining symbols were printed, but with no added detail such as filigree or other things that are (IMHO) very important to the churches. If this strays too much into NDA, can you discuss what types of additional detail might be added to make a symbol "most holy?"
  • I know that Gond's symbol is a gear, of course, but would his (former) temple in the (former) town of Tilverton perhaps have been a giant metal wheel with many fine teeth on it, for example?
  • Would Azuth's symbols use magical imagery (e.g. as Lolth does in Bob's books) to alight the fire limning the finger?)
  • Lathander seems most likely to use stained glass (where it can catch the sunlight) but would Shar place hers in dark areas?
Any and all comments are most welcomed.

Many thanks to Ed, THO, and the master scribes for another amazing year at Candlekeep. May 2012 bring even more lore and glory to the Forgotten Realms!

Cheers,

Azuth

Azuth, the First Magister
Lord of All Spells

The greatest expression of creativity is through Art.
Offense can never be given, only taken.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6645 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2011 :  03:47:14  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message
And just so we are clear, the word "Laranla" is Aloevan's title, not her name. Editing lumped the 'queen' and 'Laranla' words together rather than as alternatives.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus

Edited by - George Krashos on 31 Dec 2011 07:15:53
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7968 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2011 :  06:15:24  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message
I didn't know that, GK, flowery elven protocols have never interested me. The errors in the Queen's name and title are entirely mine.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 31 Dec 2011 06:16:58
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2382 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2011 :  10:28:35  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by althen artren

look how old she is in EiMD.
Hmm, wasn't she undead (specifically, Baelnorn)?
Also, if she was, Mystra would only have to say "shoo!" instead of roaring "boo!"

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2011 :  14:32:16  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message

Will we ever see a Reborn Halruaa?

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2011 :  15:03:37  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
Well met

Could I please ask that my fellow scribes refrain from posting any more requests for lore to Ed and THO as this scroll will soon be sealed [this then allows THO to better synchronise the crossover into the upcoming 2012 scroll]? You may soon resume your requests in the 2012 scroll.

Thank you.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2011 :  16:13:46  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
And with that being the case, and since Australia has now entered 2012, please be aware that this scroll will now be closing, with Ed's Realmslore answers and The Hooded One's grace and charm starting fresh in a new scroll for 2012.

Casts Seal Scroll.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2011 :  18:31:35  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
Europe and the US haven't hit 2012 yet... I'm not sure it's fair that Down Under keeps getting the jump on us!

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 60 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000