Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2011)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 71

Kentinal
Great Reader

4309 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2011 :  04:16:53  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

So we should all post contrapuntally, from now on?
love to all,
THO

Well I suppose that could be a new rule, however my question is who moderates the moderators?

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
30412 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2011 :  04:46:35  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

quote:

love to all,
THO

Well I suppose that could be a new rule, however my question is who moderates the moderators?

Well, there's always Big Al, unless we hide his +5 staff of the moderator, or distract him with the Calishite Dancing Girls. Or both.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31690 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2011 :  06:09:14  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

quote:

love to all,
THO

I'm addressing this in a more serious tone, because Kentinal has raised an interesting query.

In the case of moderating the moderators, usually, that falls to Alaundo, as the Head Admin of Candlekeep. But we can't also dismiss the valuable input from concerned scribes who may feel that our judgements and/or decisions about certain situations, may be somewhat unfairly applied. As such, again, this would be something that scribes can discuss with Alaundo.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 16 Oct 2011 06:10:10
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4309 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2011 :  06:14:12  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

quote:

love to all,
THO

I'm addressing this in a more serious tone, because Kentinal has raised an interesting query.

In the case of moderating the moderators, usually, that falls to Alaundo, as the Head Admin of Candlekeep. But we can't also dismiss the valuable input from concerned scribes who may feel that our judgements and/or decisions about certain situations, may be somewhat unfairly applied. As such, again, this would be something that scribes can discuss with Alaundo.

Well my concern was, often the mods, complain about clutter of this scroll. I would have been moving much of the corn and last few posts to deleted or a different shelve.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31690 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2011 :  09:23:48  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message
Aye. Ed's scroll is well-known for severe bouts of off-topicness.

But, in the interests of returning to the Realmslore, let's get back to Q&A to and from the Lady Hooded One/Ed Greenwood team.

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5043 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2011 :  16:32:04  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
And in the spirit of doing just that, I bring an answer to this, from Azuth: "Fantastic! Given the...disappearance of Maztica, was any of the "golden corn" saved and imported to Faerūn prior to the Spellplague? Do Ed's notes cover that? Much love to you, THO!"

Much love right back. No, Ed;'s notes don't extend that far, but Ed does. Ahem.
Accordingly, here's what he imparted to me in his latest e-mail:

Yes, Maztican corn strains were imported into Faerūn in abundance, both living plants and seeds, and some are flourishing. Insects and blights and molds made the trip from Maztica, too, and their effects remain to be seen.

So saith Ed. Who has always regarded the Realms as a living, everchanging thing, not a frozen setting carved in stone.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Foxhelm
Senior Scribe

Canada
592 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2011 :  19:39:14  Show Profile  Click to see Foxhelm's MSN Messenger address  Send Foxhelm a Yahoo! Message Send Foxhelm a Private Message
quote:

And in the spirit of doing just that, I bring an answer to this, from Azuth: "Fantastic! Given the...disappearance of Maztica, was any of the "golden corn" saved and imported to Faerūn prior to the Spellplague? Do Ed's notes cover that? Much love to you, THO!"

Much love right back. No, Ed;'s notes don't extend that far, but Ed does. Ahem.
Accordingly, here's what he imparted to me in his latest e-mail:

Yes, Maztican corn strains were imported into Faerūn in abundance, both living plants and seeds, and some are flourishing. Insects and blights and molds made the trip from Maztica, too, and their effects remain to be seen.

So saith Ed. Who has always regarded the Realms as a living, everchanging thing, not a frozen setting carved in stone.
love,
THO

Great news for Faerun's Bio-diesel industry...

Ed Greenwood! The Solution... and Cause of all the Realms Problems!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31690 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2011 :  03:06:30  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

Yes, Maztican corn strains were imported into Faerūn in abundance, both living plants and seeds, and some are flourishing.
Quick side-query about this... Aside from the more obvious locales in the Realms where these new Maztican corn corps may have started flourishing, have any corps also popped up in unexpected places?

Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1412 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2011 :  11:56:54  Show Profile  Click to see Barastir's MSN Messenger address Send Barastir a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Therise

Granted, "historical enthusiast reconstuctionists" probably aren't the tip-top shape of marines. But I still think it would be pretty exhausting for an athlete. So I started wondering how Cormyrean knights would wear/doff their heavy armor. And certainly, clanking around in a dungeon like Undermountain might actually attract monsters or other forms of unwanted attention.

Certainly you couldn't sneak up on anyone. Real, seasoned warriors, at least to my way of thinking, would likely wear something super-appropriate to the battle/setting. Plate mail if it's a full-on war campaign, but if you're dungeoneering it might be better to go with enchanted leather or something?

And even good old Minsc in BG would complain of armor chafe, heh!

Of course plate armor is not silent (I only said it was not as noisy as we think, for it was a little muffled by layers of cloth and chain mail under it). Even leather is not as silent as we think, but they are surely more silent than plate, when properly muffled.

And donning plate armor is exhausting, yes, and that's why it wasn't donned all the time, just like Joran mentioned. I think that was the reason why heavy armor was the choice of knights, who let the task of carrying the weight of their armor to their steeds, while the warrior would not be tired during battles.

Enchanted light armor IS a better choice for warriors afoot, and for sneaking into enemies, for sure. But for dangerous monsters with powerful attacks, maybe the armor of choice would be enchanted plate, for if enchanted leather can protect you as much as a normal set of plate, imagine the protection offered by enchanted full plate armor!

About Minsc, remember that rangers can be sneaky, and fight better (two-weapon style on 2e) in lighter armor. In full-scale war or major battles, they CAN don heavy armor. However, doing that they lose most of the benefits of their class.

That's why I ask to Ed about different enchantments beyond the normal pluses (I think I saw some article about lighter or more silent armor in some "Dragon Magazine"), and of different materials, as the elven plate armor in The Complete Book of Elves, who weighted as much as an ordinary set of chain mail, AND could be worn by arcane spellcasters without denying them the use of their magical powers.

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)

Edited by - Barastir on 17 Oct 2011 12:08:52
Go to Top of Page

Rhewtani
Senior Scribe

USA
508 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2011 :  21:09:03  Show Profile  Send Rhewtani an AOL message Send Rhewtani a Private Message
I've been reading through the Temptation of Elminster and it's brought a question to mind.

What could you share with us on Elminster's feelings on the loss of Athalantar? He was in a somewhat guarded conversations with the lord and the mages on Myth Drannor and it just sparked in me the curiosity.
Go to Top of Page

Nowak
Acolyte

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2011 :  16:47:38  Show Profile  Visit Nowak's Homepage Send Nowak a Private Message
Hello Ed & THO,
"The Laughing Wyrm", Zundaerazylym, is noticeably absent from the Neverwinter Campaign Setting book.
I'm sure the answer is "NDA...", but can you tell me if Zundaerazylym survived the Spellplague, or what her final fate was/is?

Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Great Reader

USA
6192 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2011 :  22:36:37  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

quote:

love to all,
THO

Well, there's always Big Al, unless we hide his +5 staff of the moderator, or distract him with the Calishite Dancing Girls. Or both.

<disguise self>

FEE FI FO FUM
Its me Big Al... and look I have my +5 staff of the moderator. You had better find...some way... to distract me and quickly <hint hint>

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5043 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2011 :  03:05:13  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
There are SO many false moderator's staves about these days . . . is that REALLY a +5 one? Well, [purrrrrr] there's only one way to find out . . .
LOVE,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
14528 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2011 :  20:57:54  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
I could only afford the +3 extension tip.

ED (and/or THO), while answering someone's queries recently about my HB (CKC) work on the region between Maztica and Katashaka, I started to think about the RW region it was based upon (the Caribbean), and I was wondering - Is there anything like the Devil's Triangle on Toril? A place of a large number of strange disappearances?

TY Wooly and Sage - now I have to consider if the Phaerimm - and Sharn for that matter - can't simply fly through Arcane space unassisted (do they even need to breath?)

And..... the below quote and all this talk of corn has caused a new thought to 'Pop' into my head.

quote:

So now we have to worry about the FR-version of MALARia?

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 19 Oct 2011 20:58:36
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
30412 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2011 :  22:21:31  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
Another question for my ever-growing queue... A discussion in another thread has me wondering about cosmetic uses of magic. Not polymorphing for combat or disguise, or just covering flaws with an illusion, but rather using magic in the same way that some people in the real world use surgery or dietary aids to alter their appearance.

I once made up a magical hair dye that also allows the owner to change their hair style. Wooly Rupert's Wondrous Hair Dye was a flip response to why artwork of Alustriel didn't match the description (specifically, the hair color), but I can see wealthy people being interested in something like that...

Is there magic for re-aligning teeth, instead of wearing braces? Can cantrips be used to wax eyebrows and bikini areas? Can a variant enlarge act as a magical boob job? How about magical clothing that aids in losing weight, or makes one look more trim, or that provides a Charisma bonus? Can a specialized polymorph function as liposuction or rhinoplasty?

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31690 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2011 :  02:51:59  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

TY Wooly and Sage - now I have to consider if the Phaerimm - and Sharn for that matter - can't simply fly through Arcane space unassisted (do they even need to breath?)
Hmmm. That actually prompts a further query of my own re: what we know about the sharn focusing on other magically abusive powers. Does the oversight of the sharn extend beyond Realmspace?

I'm really going to cogitate on this.

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Great Reader

USA
6192 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2011 :  18:49:07  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message
quote:

Another question for my ever-growing queue... A discussion in another thread has me wondering about cosmetic uses of magic. Not polymorphing for combat or disguise, or just covering flaws with an illusion, but rather using magic in the same way that some people in the real world use surgery or dietary aids to alter their appearance.

I once made up a magical hair dye that also allows the owner to change their hair style. Wooly Rupert's Wondrous Hair Dye was a flip response to why artwork of Alustriel didn't match the description (specifically, the hair color), but I can see wealthy people being interested in something like that...

Is there magic for re-aligning teeth, instead of wearing braces? Can cantrips be used to wax eyebrows and bikini areas? Can a variant enlarge act as a magical boob job? How about magical clothing that aids in losing weight, or makes one look more trim, or that provides a Charisma bonus? Can a specialized polymorph function as liposuction or rhinoplasty?

Yes, cantrips in 1st edition could make hair fall out, so yes... you could wax the bikini area. Secondarily, I remember somewhere that it was stated that a mage in Soorenar had developed a spell for stealing faces, so I had always figured it was Velsharoon, and whenever he transferred his soul to a new body he'd steal his old face.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
30412 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2011 :  19:25:52  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

quote:

Yes, cantrips in 1st edition could make hair fall out, so yes... you could wax the bikini area. Secondarily, I remember somewhere that it was stated that a mage in Soorenar had developed a spell for stealing faces, so I had always figured it was Velsharoon, and whenever he transferred his soul to a new body he'd steal his old face.

Well, could that cantrip remove some hair but leave other hair? Sure, you could leave someone with no eyebrows -- but could you just remove the unwanted eyelashes and leave the rest? That's what I'm curious about.

Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1412 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2011 :  21:39:37  Show Profile  Click to see Barastir's MSN Messenger address Send Barastir a Private Message
quote:
Well, could that cantrip remove some hair but leave other hair? Sure, you could leave someone with no eyebrows -- but could you just remove the unwanted eyelashes and leave the rest? That's what I'm curious about.

Just like you throw fireballs without hitting your friends, just controlling the range and area of the cantrip...

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)

Edited by - Barastir on 20 Oct 2011 21:42:01
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5043 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2011 :  18:52:18  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Sage, I empathize with your cogitation. Here's the problem re. "Hmmm. That actually prompts a further query of my own re: what we know about the sharn focusing on other magically abusive powers. Does the oversight of the sharn extend beyond Realmspace?"
The problem is: what do we really KNOW about the Sharn? And how reliable is our knowledge? In other words, how much of what we do "know" is propaganda? Or mistaken/misinterpreted lore, reworded overtime to become "established fact"?
THERE's your "Hmmm."
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31690 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2011 :  03:12:02  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message
You are a seductive temptress, milady... leaving me with lingering lore-bits such as this. They're scratching me right where I itch. [On a side-note, it's also prompted me to re-read Steven Schend's Blackstaff when I return to Perth, for the sharn-creation sections. And then see what I can draw from that and put together with what you just said above.]

The only problem I have now, is the fact that I've some many new thoughts about my original query, and no notebook with me to record them.

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3532 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2011 :  03:47:20  Show Profile  Send The Red Walker a Yahoo! Message Send The Red Walker a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

You are a seductive temptress, milady... leaving me with lingering lore-bits such as this. They're scratching me right where I itch. [On a side-note, it's also prompted me to re-read Steven Schend's Blackstaff when I return to Perth, for the sharn-creation sections. And then see what I can draw from that and put together with what you just said above.]

The only problem I have now, is the fact that I've some many new thoughts about my original query, and no notebook with me to record them.

Send yourself a PM silly old Sage. Or send it my way and I'll send it to you when you return!

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5043 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2011 :  17:42:44  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Nowak, Ed has sent me a reply to this: "Hello Ed & THO,
"The Laughing Wyrm", Zundaerazylym, is noticeably absent from the Neverwinter Campaign Setting book.
I'm sure the answer is "NDA...", but can you tell me if Zundaerazylym survived the Spellplague, or what her final fate was/is?"

Heeeere's Ed:

I'm sorry, but that is indeed NDA. However, if I was a hinting man, I'd hint: survival but drastic change/relocation. ;}

So saith Ed, and there you have it.
He is VERY busy with writing work right now, but the good news is: there's Realmslore amongst it!
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5043 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2011 :  17:48:54  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
And hi again: whilst I was posting that last reply, another e-mail from Ed sidled into my e-inbox, and in part it reads, in response to Sage's recent post: "Quick side-query about this... Aside from the more obvious locales in the Realms where these new Maztican corn crops may have started flourishing, have any crops also popped up in unexpected places?"
Ed replies:

Yes, many small, scattered plantings literally "all over the place," due to: thefts from farmers and traders that were replanted, traders and others trying a little experimental planting of their own in various backland plots and farms, and dragons and other beasts plundering corn deliberately or unintentionally whilst "grabbing" other prey, and defecating corn in various spots (or in the air, to fall on random locales). Of course, wild corn doesn't last long where climate and other growing conditions aren't friendly, but elsewhere...

So saith Ed. Who will get to other lore replies when he can.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Marc
Senior Scribe

618 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2011 :  08:39:48  Show Profile Send Marc a Private Message
Iraun and Srivven, the two mages from Adaerglast in the Border Kingdoms, roughly how many spells do they know?

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 71 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000