Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2011)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 71

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
6212 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2011 :  04:13:49  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message
Actually, I'm a bit surprised by part of that response. My understanding was that Larloch was more created by the collective TSR/WotC staff than by Ed, at least beyond name and perhaps the briefest rough character synopsis. Also, Telamont (then named Shadow) featured rather prominently in the published Netheril sourcebook, although certainly not as prominently as the Telamont we know from later D&D products.

I learn something new every day. The best laid plans are subject to windstorms and high tide, eh?

Eat lots of garlic - it keeps the elves and vampires away.
Don't stick your sword into dragons, you just don't know where they've been.
Avoid stepping on halflings. They stick to your boots, will smell awful, and are impossible to scrape off.
Ah, of course. Never play leapfrog with a unicorn.
[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 09 Sep 2011 04:15:01
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5037 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2011 :  04:23:09  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
No, the concept of Larloch lasting and lasting and pursuing magic for its own sake and compelling many liches to be his servitors is definitely Ed. I know that thanks to reading fiction snippets and participating in Realmsplay before TSR started publishing the Realms as a setting/line (as opposed to glimpses of it in Ed's early DRAGON articles).
Larloch with "hard" 3e game stats is largely the work of TSR/WotC staffers, yes, drawing on discussions with Ed . . . but the approach of leaving him "nebulous and more powerful than the PCs" was a TSR design decision, too (that Ed agreed with, willingly shelving the stats and details he had for Larloch).
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
6212 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2011 :  04:43:38  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message
A short story about one of Elminster's youthful adventures, describing how he and Khelben infiltrated (and eventually escaped) Larloch's Lich Legion in the hopes of acquiring a glimpse of some ancient magical MacGuffin ... aha, the possibilities. Larloch (and his sandy stats, which I hope remain stored safely away from windstorms and high tides) could actually be the MacGuffin, remaining as indefinably unwritten as ever, even while all the while thwarting Elminster's efforts from behind the scenes.

Avoid stepping on halflings. They stick to your boots, will smell awful, and are impossible to scrape off.
[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Therise
Master of Realmslore

1265 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2011 :  05:39:51  Show Profile Send Therise a Private Message
It's said that if you talk too much about Larloch, he will hear you... and come to claim you.

4E Realms was awful, but it's water under the Boareskyr Bridge. Let's make 5E Realms truly shine!

Edited by - Therise on 09 Sep 2011 05:42:34
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2011 :  06:41:18  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

A short story about one of Elminster's youthful adventures, describing how he and Khelben infiltrated (and eventually escaped) Larloch's Lich Legion in the hopes of acquiring a glimpse of some ancient magical MacGuffin ... aha, the possibilities. Larloch (and his sandy stats, which I hope remain stored safely away from windstorms and high tides) could actually be the MacGuffin, remaining as indefinably unwritten as ever, even while all the while thwarting Elminster's efforts from behind the scenes.

Mystra and Larloch have some kind of special relationship/agreement. I doubt if the returned Mystra would ever "allow" any of her Chosen to mess with the Great Lich.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
6212 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2011 :  06:49:08  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message
As if Mystra really knows what her mages are up to anyhow. No doubt such spells as Elminster's eschewed obfuscation, Khelben's combobulation shell, and Larloch's Weave-bounce would keep her distracted enough. Sometimes boys just wanna play without mommy knowing what they're really up to.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2011 :  06:56:10  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message

Don't forget that Mystra has been keeping an eye on her own Chosen... After what happened to Sammaster and to some other renegade Chosen, it just makes sense that she does so.

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5037 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2011 :  20:25:56  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Dennis, re. this: "Perhaps we'll learn more in the next Elminster novel?"
Ed responds:

Nope. Unless you're REALLY good at perceiving things behind what's shown up front, onstage, in the text.
However, the next El book, ELMINSTER ENRAGED, is only the third book of six, so . . .

So saith Ed. Who's always playing a long game. Using a very large cast, in a really big setting. Not following a simple lone-thread plot in the foreground. Trust me. In recent play, some of the Knights came across an answer to something that had been puzzling us since . . . 1979.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Rhewtani
Senior Scribe

USA
508 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2011 :  21:33:55  Show Profile  Send Rhewtani an AOL message Send Rhewtani a Private Message
Wow. I was born in '79.
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2011 :  22:07:14  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Ed said Mystra was a "drooling retard?"
Citation, please. Because I sure don't remember that.

"Isn't that weird and gross?"
What? Feeling love for someone is weird and gross?
(Ed's novels say nothing about Storm wanting to have sex with Elminster, so far as I can find. Just wanting to let Elminster know how much she loves him.)

Oh, forget it. Casts "Begone, Troll!"
BB

Edited by - Blueblade on 09 Sep 2011 22:09:04
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
13557 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2011 :  22:12:07  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Ohhh Boy....

quote:
Originally posted by Rhewtani

Wow. I was born in '79.
Which is part of the secret.... you need to talk to your mother.

Oh... and and stay away from that Wardrobe.
quote:
Originally posted by Therise

It's said that if you talk too much about Larloch, he will hear you... and come to claim you.
Only if you repeat his name three times while staring at your reflection in a scrying pool.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 09 Sep 2011 22:13:12
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm
Learned Scribe

242 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2011 :  22:13:40  Show Profile  Visit Malcolm's Homepage Send Malcolm a Private Message
Yes, an aptly-named poster. "Troll King," indeed.

Exploring human relationships between characters who have lived for centuries, and who have been described as lonely and insane might be weird, but "weird" is what fantasy fiction is all about. "Gross" depends on your own moral standards. Some folks find broccoli gross.
Go to Top of Page

Broken Helm
Learned Scribe

USA
108 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2011 :  22:17:21  Show Profile  Visit Broken Helm's Homepage Send Broken Helm a Private Message
Well, well.
Troll King II quoth: "Isn't that weird and gross? Also, what inspired you to explore these weird and gross themes with otherwise heroic character?"

Well, I'm going to do what my university profs used to do: answer "No" to your first question, and then ask you why you want to force everyone to accept your personal opinion as "fact" when posing your second question.
Just askin.'
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
29992 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2011 :  22:21:26  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
Some posts have been removed from this thread. There's no need to discuss them further.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Sage of Stars
Seeker

USA
59 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2011 :  22:28:23  Show Profile  Visit Sage of Stars's Homepage Send Sage of Stars a Private Message
Heh. Well said, Broken Helm.
Troll King, Ed has never said that Mystra was a "drooling" anything. Which makes the answer to your first question "No."
As for your second, Elminster very briefly looked after several of the young tween and teen Sisters. He was, yes, in essence, a father figure to them. The Simbul was not one of them, as canon fiction (read the flashbacks in ELMINSTER IN HELL) makes clear. So El is not having sex with his own daughter, in any sense or by any stretch.
Centuries later, Elminster and Storm worked together in the Harpers...for centuries, outliving entire countries, not just people. And seeing El and The Simbul in love leaves Storm torn, because she discovers she loves Elminster, too, deeper than just as a friend. and doesn't dare show it, for fear of ruining what El and Alassra share.
THAT'S "weird and gross"? I'd say it's human.
Far from weird and gross, I find exploring what age-old survivors do and think fascinating. If you don't like such themes, perhaps Ed's fiction isn't for you. Or better yet, fantasy (including such classics as Arthurian fiction, wherein Queen Guinevre makes it with both King Arthur and Lancelot) in general isn't for you.
Just out of curitosity, what's your definition of "heroic"? (Being as you posted "otherwise heroic"?)
Go to Top of Page

Sage of Stars
Seeker

USA
59 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2011 :  22:30:08  Show Profile  Visit Sage of Stars's Homepage Send Sage of Stars a Private Message
Sorry, Wooly. Was composing mine when you acted.
Take mine as silenced.
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
2890 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2011 :  23:16:28  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message

So you have been banned 8 times already, in one(1) day?

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
29992 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2011 :  23:18:36  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
...And he's gone again.

Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
2890 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2011 :  23:24:36  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message
Some "troll rut"?

Sorry...

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep

Edited by - Brimstone on 09 Sep 2011 23:25:04
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31688 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2011 :  02:09:03  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Some posts have been removed from this thread. There's no need to discuss them further.

And I'd just like to apologise to Ed and all our resident scribes, on behalf of the other Mods and Admin staff here at Candlekeep for the disruptive influence these posts have been having on the usually more comfortable atmosphere we've tried to establish.

Rest assured, measures are now in place to limit even further, the source of these current problems.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 10 Sep 2011 02:11:56
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31688 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2011 :  02:11:17  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message
Okay, let's try to keep the focus of Ed's scroll away from the current problems caused by certain other disruptive scribes.

Besides, it's making my task of compiling the Great Bearded One's responses somewhat more difficult. And with the accomplishments I've been achieving by tackling stuff on my "To-Do" list of late, I'm assuming we all don't want to see me distracted again. Right?

Edited by - The Sage on 10 Sep 2011 02:31:07
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
29992 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2011 :  02:23:11  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

And with the accomplishments I've been achieving by tackling stuff on my "To-Do" list of late, I'm amusing we all don't want to see me distracted again. Right?

We can safely amuse that.

Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
778 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2011 :  02:26:25  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message
I never amuse anything Sage.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31688 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2011 :  02:32:02  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

quote:

And with the accomplishments I've been achieving by tackling stuff on my "To-Do" list of late, I'm amusing we all don't want to see me distracted again. Right?

And my efforts lasted about twelve minutes.

Personal-best.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2011 :  05:19:52  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message
quote:

quote:

Seconded!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 71 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000