Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2011)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 60

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2011 :  16:47:15  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message
Hi Ed and THO!

The posts about phaerimm made me recall some of my questions that I guess I forgot to post here. I would like to know... Are they immune to the laraken's magic-draining power?

I wonder, is there any spell (other than silverfire) or type of magic that it could not absorb, or that if it would absorb, would cause its demise? Spellfire perhaps? Or the phaerimm's version of the silverfire? Or Shadow Weave-based spells? Lastly, is it vulnerable to the psionic power of illithids and aboleths?

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2011 :  18:01:25  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Therise

(...) in the Realms, most of the time, wouldn't this be a little weird, tromping around in heavy plate (magical or not)? Even in dungeons, I wonder if most Realms warriors would actually wear things like heavy plate armor (*clank! clank!*) or if they might prefer enchanted leather or something that promotes ease of movement? In real life, just falling down in plate can be bad, since it's so heavy.

Is plate mostly (only) seen on battlefields, when at war? Or is Realmsian armor-crafting better, such that it's more comfortable and not such an impediment to daily adventuring?

Therise,

your question brings other questions to me, so I hope I can add something before Ed and lady THO answers us. I've learned through the years that plate mail is not so heavy, noisy and clumsy as we believe. And, of course, fighters used to don this type of armor acquire endurance to spend it for some time. But using it constantly IS tiring, and most warriors don't wear it full time, as it happens in many games.

I do agree with you that enchanted versions of lighter armor would be better options, just like heavy armors with enchantments that make them lighter (or materials, like the famed elven alloy). The limitant factor, here, would be the availability of magic armor (in my Realms, I prefer to make magic items more rare and special).

I think the main reasons for heavy armor to be rare in our world are its cost, the limits on forging technology in some cultures, and the availability of metal. Maybe Ed could say something about that in the Realms, since they ARE magic-rich, and where different materials exist.

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)

Edited by - Barastir on 14 Oct 2011 18:03:49
Go to Top of Page

Joran Nobleheart
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2011 :  18:17:02  Show Profile  Visit Joran Nobleheart's Homepage Send Joran Nobleheart a Private Message
quote:

Quick question: while adventuring, most of us who have fighter PCs would deck out in our best plate armor and such - because of the mechanical AC benefits.

But in the Realms, most of the time, wouldn't this be a little weird, tromping around in heavy plate (magical or not)? Even in dungeons, I wonder if most Realms warriors would actually wear things like heavy plate armor (*clank! clank!*) or if they might prefer enchanted leather or something that promotes ease of movement? In real life, just falling down in plate can be bad, since it's so heavy.

Is plate mostly (only) seen on battlefields, when at war? Or is Realmsian armor-crafting better, such that it's more comfortable and not such an impediment to daily adventuring?

Also, if I may... in different media, and from what one historian said, even real life, knights used to remove their full armor and around camp wear a suit of chainmail instead. Is this also common in the Realms, carrying the spare suit and donning it when at camp for knights and paladins?

Paladinic Ethos
Saint Joran Nobleheart
Go to Top of Page

Azuth
Senior Scribe

USA
404 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2011 :  19:10:02  Show Profile  Visit Azuth's Homepage Send Azuth a Private Message

Hopefully a quick question for Ed:
After having searched through the scrolls here at the Keep, I'm not certain whether or not corn was a staple crop outside of Maztica. Various books seem to reference the equivalent of cornmeal, if my memory serves, but the Maztica Triology (again, if memory serves) made corn to be this fascinating new discovery. So: was there farming of corn outside of/before the discovery of Maztica? I find conflicting answers, but none directly from Ed.

Thanks,

Azuth

Azuth, the First Magister
Lord of All Spells

The greatest expression of creativity is through Art.
Offense can never be given, only taken.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2011 :  20:37:28  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all!
Azuth, your question I can answer right away, thanks to having a note from Ed on that very topic handy in my piles of such notes.
So here we go...

Corn was known in mainland Faerūn before the relatively recent contact with Maztica, but the varieties of corn were stunted plants prone to "powdery mildew" and worse blights and what farmers call "smut" (weird fungal growths). So corn had to be carefully picked over, kernel by kernel. It was then usually roasted and ground into cornmeal for travel and trade purposes. Corn on the cob was a local delicacy, eaten fresh or hung up from the kitchen rafters and dried for winter use, NOT a high-yield crop. Most corn was fed to livestock/draft animals.
What was "new" from Maztica was abundant "golden corn" (large, fat cobs on big, flourishing plants beyond number) that changed mainland perceptions of how to use corn and that a huge dependable supply could be locally grown, so it could be relied upon. Cornbreads (pan-fried) became favourites overnight, followed by breadings on vegetables, and corn as a "platter" (plate) vegetable on its own.

So saith Ed. As for me, I'm off to find some butter to melt...
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Therise
Master of Realmslore

1272 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2011 :  20:43:11  Show Profile Send Therise a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Barastir

quote:

(...) in the Realms, most of the time, wouldn't this be a little weird, tromping around in heavy plate (magical or not)? Even in dungeons, I wonder if most Realms warriors would actually wear things like heavy plate armor (*clank! clank!*) or if they might prefer enchanted leather or something that promotes ease of movement? In real life, just falling down in plate can be bad, since it's so heavy.

Therise,

your question brings other questions to me, so I hope I can add something before Ed and lady THO answers us. I've learned through the years that plate mail is not so heavy, noisy and clumsy as we believe. And, of course, fighters used to don this type of armor acquire endurance to spend it for some time. But using it constantly IS tiring, and most warriors don't wear it full time, as it happens in many games.

I do agree with you that enchanted versions of lighter armor would be better options, just like heavy armors with enchantments that make them lighter (or materials, like the famed elven alloy). The limitant factor, here, would be the availability of magic armor (in my Realms, I prefer to make magic items more rare and special).

I think the main reasons for heavy armor to be rare in our world are its cost, the limits on forging technology in some cultures, and the availability of metal. Maybe Ed could say something about that in the Realms, since they ARE magic-rich, and where different materials exist.

Heh, well - part of my curiosity is prompted by reading this article that someone sent me:

Fatigue in French Armor
http://news.discovery.com/history/armor-glitch-110721.html

Granted, "historical enthusiast reconstuctionists" probably aren't the tip-top shape of marines. But I still think it would be pretty exhausting for an athlete. So I started wondering how Cormyrean knights would wear/doff their heavy armor. And certainly, clanking around in a dungeon like Undermountain might actually attract monsters or other forms of unwanted attention.

Certainly you couldn't sneak up on anyone. Real, seasoned warriors, at least to my way of thinking, would likely wear something super-appropriate to the battle/setting. Plate mail if it's a full-on war campaign, but if you're dungeoneering it might be better to go with enchanted leather or something?

And even good old Minsc in BG would complain of armor chafe, heh!

Female, 40-year DM of a homebrew-evolved 1E Realms, including a few added tidbits of 2E and 3E lore; played originally in AD&D, then in Rolemaster. Be a DM for your kids and grandkids, gaming is excellent for families!
Go to Top of Page

Azuth
Senior Scribe

USA
404 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2011 :  23:42:57  Show Profile  Visit Azuth's Homepage Send Azuth a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Hi again, all!
Azuth, your question I can answer right away, thanks to having a note from Ed on that very topic handy in my piles of such notes.
So here we go...

Corn was known in mainland Faerūn before the relatively recent contact with Maztica, but the varieties of corn were stunted plants prone to "powdery mildew" and worse blights and what farmers call "smut" (weird fungal growths). So corn had to be carefully picked over, kernel by kernel. It was then usually roasted and ground into cornmeal for travel and trade purposes. Corn on the cob was a local delicacy, eaten fresh or hung up from the kitchen rafters and dried for winter use, NOT a high-yield crop. Most corn was fed to livestock/draft animals.
What was "new" from Maztica was abundant "golden corn" (large, fat cobs on big, flourishing plants beyond number) that changed mainland perceptions of how to use corn and that a huge dependable supply could be locally grown, so it could be relied upon. Cornbreads (pan-fried) became favourites overnight, followed by breadings on vegetables, and corn as a "platter" (plate) vegetable on its own.

love,
THO

Fantastic! Given the...disappearance of Maztica, was any of the "golden corn" saved and imported to Faerūn prior to the Spellplague? Do Ed's notes cover that? Much love to you, THO!

Azuth

Azuth, the First Magister
Lord of All Spells

The greatest expression of creativity is through Art.
Offense can never be given, only taken.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2011 :  00:58:02  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

Heh. This, from Ed, in his latest e-mail:

There's STILL more than one group of Phaerimm operating on Toril. :}

So there you have it. More of a proper reply to come, Ed promises, when he isn't so blamed busy.
love to all,
THO

What about beyond Toril? I'm now curious as to how many phaerimm have gone beyond Toril, whether to the planes or by catching a passing spelljammer.

As an addendum to Wooly's query, I'm also wondering, now, about phaerimm operating beyond Toril.

Has Ed established planar-based phaerimm with focused ambitions beyond the Prime Material, or are we simply talking the rest of Realmspace?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

bladeinAmn
Learned Scribe

199 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2011 :  05:11:37  Show Profile  Visit bladeinAmn's Homepage Send bladeinAmn a Private Message
quote:

Hi again, all!
So here we go...

love,
THO

Of all your (currently) 4010 posts, I think this one is your corniest ever!
Go to Top of Page

Therise
Master of Realmslore

1272 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2011 :  05:44:46  Show Profile Send Therise a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by bladeinAmn

quote:

Hi again, all!
So here we go...

love,
THO

Oh shucks! She gives us some little niblets of information, we're all ears, and it's nothing but jokes!

Female, 40-year DM of a homebrew-evolved 1E Realms, including a few added tidbits of 2E and 3E lore; played originally in AD&D, then in Rolemaster. Be a DM for your kids and grandkids, gaming is excellent for families!
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2011 :  06:28:38  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message
quote:

Hi again, all!
So here we go...

love,
THO

Speaking of corn... with maize apparently not being a hugely common produce in Faerūn, which (if any) crop does farmers in say the Dessarin river basin refer to as corn?

In case someone wasn't aware, corn has been used to describe quite a few different types of crops - which apparently has confused one or two of Lindsey Davis's readers to somewhat amusing effect: http://www.lindseydavis.co.uk/rants.htm#corn

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett

Edited by - Kajehase on 15 Oct 2011 06:29:12
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2011 :  16:56:54  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:

quote:

quote:

Hi again, all!
So here we go...

love,
THO

Oh shucks! She gives us some little niblets of information, we're all ears, and it's nothing but jokes!

Hey, I don't know about y'all, but I love these little kernels of Realmslore!

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2011 :  01:31:21  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Hi again, all!
So here we go...

love,
THO

Hey, I don't know about y'all, but I love these little kernels of Realmslore!

Indeed. I often consider them the tassel of Realmslore inflorescence.

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7968 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2011 :  01:55:26  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message
I'm getting a little sickle of all these corny puns.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2011 :  04:06:03  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
So we should all post contrapuntally, from now on?
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2011 :  04:16:53  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message
quote:

love to all,
THO

Well I suppose that could be a new rule, however my question is who moderates the moderators?

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2011 :  04:46:35  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

quote:

love to all,
THO

Well I suppose that could be a new rule, however my question is who moderates the moderators?

Well, there's always Big Al, unless we hide his +5 staff of the moderator, or distract him with the Calishite Dancing Girls. Or both.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2011 :  06:09:14  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

quote:

love to all,
THO

I'm addressing this in a more serious tone, because Kentinal has raised an interesting query.

In the case of moderating the moderators, usually, that falls to Alaundo, as the Head Admin of Candlekeep. But we can't also dismiss the valuable input from concerned scribes who may feel that our judgements and/or decisions about certain situations, may be somewhat unfairly applied. As such, again, this would be something that scribes can discuss with Alaundo.

Edited by - The Sage on 16 Oct 2011 06:10:10
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2011 :  06:14:12  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

quote:

love to all,
THO

I'm addressing this in a more serious tone, because Kentinal has raised an interesting query.

In the case of moderating the moderators, usually, that falls to Alaundo, as the Head Admin of Candlekeep. But we can't also dismiss the valuable input from concerned scribes who may feel that our judgements and/or decisions about certain situations, may be somewhat unfairly applied. As such, again, this would be something that scribes can discuss with Alaundo.

Well my concern was, often the mods, complain about clutter of this scroll. I would have been moving much of the corn and last few posts to deleted or a different shelve.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2011 :  09:23:48  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
Aye. Ed's scroll is well-known for severe bouts of off-topicness.

But, in the interests of returning to the Realmslore, let's get back to Q&A to and from the Lady Hooded One/Ed Greenwood team.

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2011 :  16:32:04  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
And in the spirit of doing just that, I bring an answer to this, from Azuth: "Fantastic! Given the...disappearance of Maztica, was any of the "golden corn" saved and imported to Faerūn prior to the Spellplague? Do Ed's notes cover that? Much love to you, THO!"

Much love right back. No, Ed;'s notes don't extend that far, but Ed does. Ahem.
Accordingly, here's what he imparted to me in his latest e-mail:

Yes, Maztican corn strains were imported into Faerūn in abundance, both living plants and seeds, and some are flourishing. Insects and blights and molds made the trip from Maztica, too, and their effects remain to be seen.

So saith Ed. Who has always regarded the Realms as a living, everchanging thing, not a frozen setting carved in stone.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Foxhelm
Senior Scribe

Canada
592 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2011 :  19:39:14  Show Profile Send Foxhelm a Private Message
quote:

And in the spirit of doing just that, I bring an answer to this, from Azuth: "Fantastic! Given the...disappearance of Maztica, was any of the "golden corn" saved and imported to Faerūn prior to the Spellplague? Do Ed's notes cover that? Much love to you, THO!"

Much love right back. No, Ed;'s notes don't extend that far, but Ed does. Ahem.
Accordingly, here's what he imparted to me in his latest e-mail:

Yes, Maztican corn strains were imported into Faerūn in abundance, both living plants and seeds, and some are flourishing. Insects and blights and molds made the trip from Maztica, too, and their effects remain to be seen.

So saith Ed. Who has always regarded the Realms as a living, everchanging thing, not a frozen setting carved in stone.
love,
THO

Great news for Faerun's Bio-diesel industry...

Ed Greenwood! The Solution... and Cause of all the Realms Problems!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2011 :  03:06:30  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

Yes, Maztican corn strains were imported into Faerūn in abundance, both living plants and seeds, and some are flourishing.
Quick side-query about this... Aside from the more obvious locales in the Realms where these new Maztican corn corps may have started flourishing, have any corps also popped up in unexpected places?

Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2011 :  11:56:54  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message
quote:

Granted, "historical enthusiast reconstuctionists" probably aren't the tip-top shape of marines. But I still think it would be pretty exhausting for an athlete. So I started wondering how Cormyrean knights would wear/doff their heavy armor. And certainly, clanking around in a dungeon like Undermountain might actually attract monsters or other forms of unwanted attention.

Certainly you couldn't sneak up on anyone. Real, seasoned warriors, at least to my way of thinking, would likely wear something super-appropriate to the battle/setting. Plate mail if it's a full-on war campaign, but if you're dungeoneering it might be better to go with enchanted leather or something?

And even good old Minsc in BG would complain of armor chafe, heh!

Of course plate armor is not silent (I only said it was not as noisy as we think, for it was a little muffled by layers of cloth and chain mail under it). Even leather is not as silent as we think, but they are surely more silent than plate, when properly muffled.

And donning plate armor is exhausting, yes, and that's why it wasn't donned all the time, just like Joran mentioned. I think that was the reason why heavy armor was the choice of knights, who let the task of carrying the weight of their armor to their steeds, while the warrior would not be tired during battles.

Enchanted light armor IS a better choice for warriors afoot, and for sneaking into enemies, for sure. But for dangerous monsters with powerful attacks, maybe the armor of choice would be enchanted plate, for if enchanted leather can protect you as much as a normal set of plate, imagine the protection offered by enchanted full plate armor!

About Minsc, remember that rangers can be sneaky, and fight better (two-weapon style on 2e) in lighter armor. In full-scale war or major battles, they CAN don heavy armor. However, doing that they lose most of the benefits of their class.

That's why I ask to Ed about different enchantments beyond the normal pluses (I think I saw some article about lighter or more silent armor in some "Dragon Magazine"), and of different materials, as the elven plate armor in The Complete Book of Elves, who weighted as much as an ordinary set of chain mail, AND could be worn by arcane spellcasters without denying them the use of their magical powers.

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)

Edited by - Barastir on 17 Oct 2011 12:08:52
Go to Top of Page

Rhewtani
Senior Scribe

USA
508 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2011 :  21:09:03  Show Profile Send Rhewtani a Private Message
I've been reading through the Temptation of Elminster and it's brought a question to mind.

What could you share with us on Elminster's feelings on the loss of Athalantar? He was in a somewhat guarded conversations with the lord and the mages on Myth Drannor and it just sparked in me the curiosity.
Go to Top of Page

Nowak
Acolyte

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2011 :  16:47:38  Show Profile  Visit Nowak's Homepage Send Nowak a Private Message
Hello Ed & THO,
"The Laughing Wyrm", Zundaerazylym, is noticeably absent from the Neverwinter Campaign Setting book.
I'm sure the answer is "NDA...", but can you tell me if Zundaerazylym survived the Spellplague, or what her final fate was/is?

Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11691 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2011 :  22:36:37  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message
quote:

quote:

quote:

love to all,
THO

Well, there's always Big Al, unless we hide his +5 staff of the moderator, or distract him with the Calishite Dancing Girls. Or both.

<disguise self>

FEE FI FO FUM
Its me Big Al... and look I have my +5 staff of the moderator. You had better find...some way... to distract me and quickly <hint hint>

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2011 :  03:05:13  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
There are SO many false moderator's staves about these days . . . is that REALLY a +5 one? Well, [purrrrrr] there's only one way to find out . . .
LOVE,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2011 :  20:57:54  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
I could only afford the +3 extension tip.

ED (and/or THO), while answering someone's queries recently about my HB (CKC) work on the region between Maztica and Katashaka, I started to think about the RW region it was based upon (the Caribbean), and I was wondering - Is there anything like the Devil's Triangle on Toril? A place of a large number of strange disappearances?

TY Wooly and Sage - now I have to consider if the Phaerimm - and Sharn for that matter - can't simply fly through Arcane space unassisted (do they even need to breath?)

And..... the below quote and all this talk of corn has caused a new thought to 'Pop' into my head.

quote:

So now we have to worry about the FR-version of MALARia?

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 19 Oct 2011 20:58:36
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2011 :  22:21:31  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
Another question for my ever-growing queue... A discussion in another thread has me wondering about cosmetic uses of magic. Not polymorphing for combat or disguise, or just covering flaws with an illusion, but rather using magic in the same way that some people in the real world use surgery or dietary aids to alter their appearance.

I once made up a magical hair dye that also allows the owner to change their hair style. Wooly Rupert's Wondrous Hair Dye was a flip response to why artwork of Alustriel didn't match the description (specifically, the hair color), but I can see wealthy people being interested in something like that...

Is there magic for re-aligning teeth, instead of wearing braces? Can cantrips be used to wax eyebrows and bikini areas? Can a variant enlarge act as a magical boob job? How about magical clothing that aids in losing weight, or makes one look more trim, or that provides a Charisma bonus? Can a specialized polymorph function as liposuction or rhinoplasty?

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 60 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000