Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2011)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 60

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2011 :  17:40:14  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all. createvmind, you have pined (sorry about the pun) to know about the Trollbark Forest and vicinity for years now, and have been more than patient, so Ed has decided to indulge you with swift replies. He wants to emphasize that he’s not trying to be flippant here, he’s trying to tell you as much as he can whilst skating around NDAs and current (but still shrouded in secrecy) plans. His replies work for me as DM inspirations, though not “tell all” definitives.
So here we go; your queries interspersed with Ed’s answers.

Trollbark Forest....Have elves or fey ever ruled this region?

Ed: Dwelt there, yes. Ruled, no.

Have the trolls always been here?

Ed: Presumably, but if that’s true or not is unknown to the civilized Realms.

The forest’s dense underbrush, thick twisting stands of ash, and many bogs make it a perfect hunting ground for monsters that can crash through thorny barriers and nests of poisonous snakes without taking permanent damage. Is this what has prevented the trolls being removed from here?

Ed: It sure helps, but there’s also been lack of inclination. There are fewer forces in the Realms bent on colonizing, “taming,” and clearing areas than in our real world under the most recent centuries of human dominance.

Is there another a "power/presence" beneath/within the forest that uses the Trolls as cover for and protects them from extermination?

Ed: Yes. Am I going to tell you more about it right now? No. ;}

Does something ward against scrying into the depths of the forest?

Ed: Yes. What is it? Unknown; it may well be a natural wild magic effect, or leakage from long-lost artifacts or ruins, rather than a deliberate ward or some vigilant defender. (Such are the opinions of some adventurers, anyway.)

Is the cliff edge of the forest rugged difficult terrain to traverse? Any details would be greatly appreciated.

Ed: Yes. Not only are the cliffs tall, but they are unstable/crumbling, with frequent rockfalls, avalanches, and sliding collapses triggered by climbing attempts (of all sorts of wild creatures, not just men).

Does something other than trolls gaurd the cliff edge of forest or consider it domain.

Ed: Yes. :}

Do occupants of Warlock's Crypt have any influence in not allowing Trollbark Forest to be reclaimed by "good forces"?

Ed: Unknown. They obviously benefit from its existence as a dangerous, untamed area. Again, what is this “reclaimed” you speak of? Who are these “good forces” going around the Realms scouring out large/significant/noticed parts of it?

Has anyone tried to exterminate the trolls in forest during 1300's?

Ed: Not to my knowledge.

Are there portals beneath the forest?

Ed: Quite possibly. Several Harpers and explorers suspect so.

Are there portals within the forest?

Ed: Possibly. There are tales (that may be no more than embroidered rumors, or may be rooted in something more factual) that would suggest so.

Are there crossroads within the forest?

Ed: Of what humans usually call “game trails,” yes. Of roads as in routes that wagons can traverse, no, because there are no such roads within the forest.

Are there any draconic beings within the forest?

Ed: Quite possibly. There is a small PETRIFIED dragon right at one edge of the forest, a landmark for some centuries.

Any draconic beings of huge or greater size?

Ed: In the forest? I doubt it.

Are there any extraplanar beings that call forest home?

Ed: Not that I know of, but . . .

Are there unknown breeds of trolls within the forest, mutations?

Ed: Oh, yes. Four-armed trolls, and trolls with prehensile, weapon-wielding (usually large maces) tails have frequently been reported. Some explorers report seeing trolls of unusual size, as tall as many saplings. And so on . . .

Is there magical leakage of any kind in forest?

Ed: Oh, yes. See my “ward against scrying?” reply, above.

Does a non-troll rule the trolls?

Ed: Unknown. I’m not sure a majority of the trolls are well organized enough to be ruled by anything or anyone.

Are there Ogres within the forest?

Ed: Possibly. Ogres tend to roam, and dwell opportunistically where conditions are favourable. I doubt you’ll find any deep in the forest, though; too dangerous. They like to be where they can dominate potential prey rather than spending overmuch time running, hiding, and fighting for their lives.

Are there precious resources magic or not being guarded and farmed in forest?

Ed: Certainly. Timber and forest and bog herbs and abundant edibles, for sure - - and quite possibly (those magical leakages again) magic, too.

Has anything ever tried to destroy the forest entirely?

Ed: Not that I know of. There have been fires that destroyed large areas, but these were more often caused by storm lightning strikes than by dragon flame or other creature causes - - and the dragon-caused fires are far more often uncaring/unintentional side-effects of dragon battles or hunting fights than they are deliberate attempts to destroy woodlands or “smoke out” prey.

Do various forces work together in protecting the forest?

Ed: Unknown.

Would various forces/factions prevent the forest from being destroyed via magic or mundane means?

Ed: Again, unknown. There would seem to be only one way of finding out.

Is there something/somethings very very valuable within forest that would draw attention from either other cities or races or classes (mages for example)?

Ed: Quite possibly. Right now, it’s still in the “far too little known, and so still needs to be explored to see if there’s anything in there that can make me/us rich” category, for opportunistic merchants in such places as Waterdeep, Athkatla, and Sembia.

In your homebrew have anyone sought to expel the trolls from forest and were they successful?

Ed: In the home Realms campaign (which I suppose can be called a “homebrew” to distinguish it from the published Realms, though I see things more as my campaign being the “testbed” Realms, and the published Realms as a variant echo of it), no one that I know of - - which means no one, since the 1320s DR - - has yet sought to expel or exterminate the trolls in any large-scale, concerted manner. Some small armed groups have temporarily sought to drive the trolls away from certain locations in the forest (and routes from the edge of the forest to those spots) so they could explore and hopefully plunder, but that’s a very different thing - - and has usually resulted in the trolls driving other, more fearsome monsters into contact with such foes, and responding themselves by gathering to trap, surround, and defeat such foes (not necessarily to overwhelm them, but to inflict maximum casualties as the foes are forced to fight their ways out, to deter future intrusions).

So saith Ed. As to how he finds time to answer these and others, he likes the cloning idea. Sings: “Send in the clones . . . there have to be clones . . .”
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2011 :  18:08:18  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
You answered before I wrote this, THANK YOU SO MUCH.

BTW crossroads I meant the fey ones, backroads maybe they are called?

Continued.....

Did the drought caused by shadovar manipulation of glacier affect the Trollbark Forest bogs and mire to point of making forest dry enough to be set aflame?

Did the trolls withdraw to wetter part of forest if drought did affect it?

Do elves and fey still live within the forest?

If yes are the elves "changed" in any way????? Hee heee.

Thank you again for the replies over the years, I have skirted this area cause my campaign had NPC's and PC's interested in it and I wanted to have as much of an idea to draw my ideas for what occurs if they "Tally Ho!!".

Thank you.

Edit, Ed can you astral project on same plane your body is on?

Edited by - createvmind on 03 Oct 2011 19:15:52
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2011 :  18:21:46  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
EDIT: Your above replies on the Trollbark made me realize a simple truth about the Realms I have always known, but never consciously considered. The people of Faerûn have more of a 'primitive' (for lack of a better word) take on land ownership then in our own modern world. In other words, the land belongs to whoever works it - no-one stakes a claim on it unless it has some use to them. This helps explain the lack 'hard borders' for FR nations. I suppose the existence of non-humans and their own queer ideas of ownership (nations within other nations) has helped foster this 'open ownership' perspective. It's yours if no-one else wants it, or you have the strength of arms to hold it. Plus, you still have tribal peoples who migrate in several large regions, which also contributes to this situation. {End Edit}

Normally I would never question any of Ed's replies, buuuuut...
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Dennis: “Hi, Ed! Would Mystra recruit a devil or demon as Chosen? Or had she already done it before?”

Ed: Sorry, but this is NDA’d, too. Many far-reaching questions are, by their very nature.
I fully understand avoiding the second part of this question, but Ed can't answer the first part?

Unless someone specifically wants to do just this, I can't fathom why Ed couldn't at least say it was a remote possibility.

How about this instead - Are deities limited to only mortals when choosing their Chosen?

quote:

Dennis: “Hi, Ed and THO! Someone who uses both divine and arcane magic is called theurge, like Rivalen. Is there a [Realmsian] name for someone who is a psionicist and arcane spellcaster? Psimage? How about for one who's a cleric [not of the God of Psionics] and psionist? Psipriest?”

Ed: The word “psionics” is not directly known in the Realms. Some sages and arcane scholars call someone who has developed some power in both spellcasting and mental workings a “panurge” but this is by no means a universally-accepted and widely-used term. And there’s no collective term for a cleric who can use psionics, because most churches have a church rank or title they already apply to that individual, and because most faiths firmly believe that psionics are granted by the gods, and so aren’t all that “different” from divine magic, being rather a “gift” or “mark of favor” of the deity on the gifted individual.
Wouldn't the word "Insipient" be applied to mage/psions? As in "The Insipient Clans"?

I know I've danced around this issue before in other questions, but it seems to me Ed has always linked natural (wild) psionic talent to a natural affinity for magic as well. Elminster would be a good example. It makes sense to me that someone with a 'strong mind' would just be better at magic then the average person (given the same amount of training, or lack there-of).

Thanks for the Asthma answers - being Asthmatic, I am surprised I had never thought of that question myself.
What about Arthritis? What would that be called?

And now for another question, inspired by the History Channel - Are there any famous examples of 'Boom Towns' in the Realms? Settlements that are either abandoned, or nearly so, after whatever resource 'dried up'?

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 03 Oct 2011 18:36:30
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2011 :  19:02:21  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Thanks for the Asthma answers - being Asthmatic, I am surprised I had never thought of that question myself.

I only thought of it because I figured it would be good for the backstory of an NPC I've been fiddling with.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2011 :  20:48:43  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message
Hi, THO and Ed!

Thank you very much for the Trollbark answers to createvmind, it will be very nice for my campaign in the region of Daggerford.

And the lore about ashtma is also very nice, I have allergic ashtma, but haven't had a crisis for a long time, since I discovered which conditions to avoid.

What brings me a question: are allergies and some natural diseases considered curses or magical manifestations in the Realms? And other that I think I read somewhere: are there magical diseases, and how can one get them (not considering curses, but maybe contagious magic afflictions).

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2011 :  00:07:15  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Ooh ooh!!!! {MT doing his best Arnold Horshack impression} Mr. Kotter! Mr. Kotter!

Errrr.. I mean... Mr Greenwood!

Has there ever been a case of someone being allergic to magic?

Question inspired by Barastir's above, obviously.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 04 Oct 2011 00:07:53
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2011 :  01:19:30  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Has there ever been a case of someone being allergic to magic?
It wasn't an allergic reaction, exactly, but I recall an instance in Secrets of the Magister [or The Magister] that suggested arcane workings would provoke violent physical reactions from certain individuals when cast in their immediate vicinity.

I liked the idea, because when I first read it, I was tinkering with a concept for an artificially-bred race [or sub-race] that was deathly "allergic" [for want of a more appropriate term] to magic.

Edit: As it turns out, I was thinking of both the wrong book and the wrong setting. 'Twas from Castle Falkenstein.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 04 Oct 2011 08:34:08
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2011 :  03:52:49  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Heh. Barastir and Markustay, I bring these words from Ed:

Hi, Barastir. Some allergic reactions are seen as "touches of the gods" (and even retribution by a god), some are seen as curses or other "dark magic" cast by enemies, some are seen as signs particular monsters (known in the area, at least in legend) are returning and are close/have touched the afflicted, some are seen as diseases, some as unintended contact with "fell plants" or small defensive magics left active by the fey or other "unseen place spirits," and so on.
The short answer is: what the reaction is seen as being varies widely by location, person afflicted, who's seeing that affliction, the past history of a family or group the afflicted belongs to, what else may have recently happened locally (temple catching fire, spell-duel between mages, etc.), and other factors.
And yes, there are magical diseases. I've revealed some in the past, but a lot more are NDA right now due to future publishing plans.

Markustay, there are MANY cases of individuals being allergic to magic, but none of them, so far as I know, have been allergic to ALL magic. Rather, they are allergic to specific types of spells (e.g. translocation) or to magics in combination with something (drunkenness, proximity to particular plants, etc.), or to combinations of magic (e.g. protective magic cast on person, they are then struck by another spell, and the combination causes a reaction). When such things are clearly the result of magical contact, they are sometimes called "the curse of Mystra" or "the disfavor of Mystra," but it's often a mystery as to how the "cursed" person earned that curse/disfavor - - particularly as such reactions tend to be rare, and sometimes one-time things (i.e. the same person doesn't react in the same way again, because the combination of magics, or the circumstances of magical exposure [proximity, strength of effect, etc.] aren't precisely the same as the earlier incident.

In short, magic retains its mystery, in these matters as in others. I doubt someone allergic to all magic could survive birth, or more than a few hours after birth, due to the innate prevalence of magic in the Realms (not just cast magic, but "natural" magics).

So saith Ed. Who must rush back to work right now, to bring us more Realms gems in the future.
love to all,
THO

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2011 :  09:43:57  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message

When a deity "dies," what will happen to his faithful who live with him in his domain? Will they be reincarnated?

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2011 :  12:31:42  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message
Thank you all very much: Ed for answering my question so wonderfully, lady THO for the care of bringing Ed's response to me, and Markustay for complementing it and allowing Ed to bring even more lore to us.

Lead by example.

(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2011 :  23:32:15  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Thank you Ed and THO for that nifty answer, TY Barastir for the compliment, and TY Dennis for giving me a wonderful story idea (I call it The Tavern of Lost Souls).

Go to Top of Page

Azuth
Senior Scribe

USA
404 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2011 :  01:44:04  Show Profile  Visit Azuth's Homepage Send Azuth a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

When a deity "dies," what will happen to his faithful who live with him in his domain? Will they be reincarnated?

I know for a fact this question was answered earlier... but it may have been by James Lowder. I liked the answer, regardless of origin as it made sense.

On that note, in Prince of Lies, Mystra takes Adon to a place where everyone inside is violently afflicted when exposed to magic. A sanctuary of sorts, although the name escapes me at present. Adon was very upset at Mystra bringing him there initially, if there was nothing he could do to help them. That's an example in print I recall, which of course, agrees with Ed's reply above.

My question to Ed is whether or not Azuth is/was a Chosen of Mystra after ascending to divinity as he was his own deity, albeit in service of Mystra. If so, would there be such a similar relationship between Oghma and Deneir?

Thanks THO & Ed,

Azuth, the First Magister
Lord of All Spells

The greatest expression of creativity is through Art.
Offense can never be given, only taken.
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2011 :  17:42:36  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message
Sages and THO, in one of the old posts of createvmind about the Trollbark Forest, Ed mentioned that he would also write about the Troll Hills. Have he written about the Hills after that? If not, dear lady THO, can you please ask Ed for some info about the Troll Hills in the 1360/70s in my instead?

Lead by example.

(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2011 :  21:52:42  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Barastir

Sages and THO, in one of the old posts of createvmind about the Trollbark Forest, Ed mentioned that he would also write about the Troll Hills. Have he written about the Hills after that? If not, dear lady THO, can you please ask Ed for some info about the Troll Hills in the 1360/70s in my instead?

No he didn't and in my intial post a few years back he actually described the factions and lay of land between the Trollbark forest and the land north to the swamp/marsh.
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2011 :  18:45:02  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by createvmind
No he didn't and in my intial post a few years back he actually described the factions and lay of land between the Trollbark forest and the land north to the swamp/marsh.

Well, so let's wait and see when Ed will send us some lore about the Hills...

Lead by example.

(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

Joran Nobleheart
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2011 :  15:26:36  Show Profile  Visit Joran Nobleheart's Homepage Send Joran Nobleheart a Private Message
Hello! I was just wondering if you, dear Lady THO or our Mr. Greenwood could describe the look of drow chainmail and their longswords. Are there special drow runes that are common on mastercraft swords, or anything like that? And if so, what do they represent? Also, do they have any "special" hand crossbows whose arms snap into place at a flick of a switch (I hope that makes sense, as it's the only way I can think to describe it), as we've seen in some fantasy shows, or are they very straight forward? Also, I read that duergar are the ones that craft the superior weapons in the Underdark, and even on the surface. I believe that was in the 2E sourcebook The Drow of the Underdark. I'm rather curious as to why the drow aren't masters in their own right. You read in novels about fine elven steel, but never fine drow steel. Is there a reason for this? Also, I always felt that drow swords would be darkly beautiful, and something that froze your blood with its appearance while at the same time causing you to desire the blade for its sleek elegance and craftsmanship. Am I right in thinking this, or am I off in my imaginings? Thank you for your time, and I look forward to your reply.

Paladinic Ethos
Saint Joran Nobleheart
Go to Top of Page

Baleful Avatar
Learned Scribe

Canada
161 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2011 :  21:38:52  Show Profile  Visit Baleful Avatar's Homepage Send Baleful Avatar a Private Message
Dear Ed,
A rumor is going around that you might be writing a new Volo's Guide (which I presume means Volo survived the Spellplague ). Is this true? And if so, what can you tell us about it? (Probably nothing, but it's worth asking anyway...)
BA
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2011 :  21:46:20  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Heh. I happened to be e-mailing ED about something else entirely when I espied your post, Baleful Avatar, so I asked him, and here's his lightning-swift response about writing a new Volo's Guide:

I am? News to me! Not that I wouldn't love to, but...

So there you have it. Sounds like one more rumor that's just that: a rumor.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Therise
Master of Realmslore

1272 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2011 :  22:08:48  Show Profile Send Therise a Private Message
quote:

Heh. I happened to be e-mailing ED about something else entirely when I espied your post, Baleful Avatar, so I asked him, and here's his lightning-swift response about writing a new Volo's Guide:

I am? News to me! Not that I wouldn't love to, but...

So there you have it. Sounds like one more rumor that's just that: a rumor.
love,
THO

If Ed actually was writing a new Volo guide (or something similar in form/purpose), I'd buy it sight-unseen... even if it's 4E!

I absolutely LOVE those kinds of supplements.

But, alas... earwax.

Female, 40-year DM of a homebrew-evolved 1E Realms, including a few added tidbits of 2E and 3E lore; played originally in AD&D, then in Rolemaster. Be a DM for your kids and grandkids, gaming is excellent for families!
Go to Top of Page

Falstaffsrevenge
Acolyte

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2011 :  11:35:54  Show Profile Send Falstaffsrevenge a Private Message
I have to aggree. I would also buy a Volo guide sight unseen. I loved the flippant/serious view Volo had on the world.(Sigh) I think I am one of the few that also loved the Murder mystery series from FR, for the same reason. The la-la-la mentality, then 'oh crap, we have to be serious!"

Some friends are like slinkies, not much use, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down stairs.
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2011 :  05:13:16  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message
BRJ on twitter is saying that a deluge of Realms stuff in on the way.

The thread on the WotC forums promptly turned in to a threadcrapfest...

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep

Edited by - Brimstone on 10 Oct 2011 05:25:51
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2011 :  07:25:27  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Hello,
Ed did the Imaskari have any interaction/knowledge with the Phaerimm prior to fall of Imaskar and since opening Hidden Imaskar?

Basically
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2011 :  07:27:07  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Basically would both races be at a lost to nature of other if they encounter each other in late 1300's?
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2011 :  00:49:40  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by createvmind

Hello,
Ed did the Imaskari have any interaction/knowledge with the Phaerimm prior to fall of Imaskar and since opening Hidden Imaskar?
It is canon that the Imaskari encountered the Phaerimm early-on (I can't recall the source), and apparently defeated them without too much trouble (something to think about, considering what they did to the Netherease).

We also have canon that the Sarrukh encountered them pre-sundering (before the Elves came around, in the same area the Netherease found them).

This means that either the Phaerimm that escaped the Sarrukh (who also defeated them) ran to the Raurin region, later encountered the Imaskari, and then fled back to the Netheril region (before it was Netheril), OR, there was more then one group of Phaerimm operating on Toril.

Hopefully Ed will be able to elaborate on this point, but I doubt it... I feel the dreaded NDA monster creeping up on us as I type.

Edited by - Markustay on 13 Oct 2011 00:53:25
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2011 :  03:29:26  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Thanks, Lost empires of Faerun I believe you're referring to. Will look through it.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2011 :  20:40:31  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Heh. This, from Ed, in his latest e-mail:

There's STILL more than one group of Phaerimm operating on Toril. :}

So there you have it. More of a proper reply to come, Ed promises, when he isn't so blamed busy.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2011 :  00:13:39  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message
Why am I not surprised? You know, Im sure we would get more out of
him about the Phaerimm, but unfortunitely over a hundred years in
the future there is a year called: The Phaerimm's Revenge or some such.
So they are highly NDA.
Go to Top of Page

Therise
Master of Realmslore

1272 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2011 :  14:09:04  Show Profile Send Therise a Private Message
Quick question: while adventuring, most of us who have fighter PCs would deck out in our best plate armor and such - because of the mechanical AC benefits.

But in the Realms, most of the time, wouldn't this be a little weird, tromping around in heavy plate (magical or not)? Even in dungeons, I wonder if most Realms warriors would actually wear things like heavy plate armor (*clank! clank!*) or if they might prefer enchanted leather or something that promotes ease of movement? In real life, just falling down in plate can be bad, since it's so heavy.

Is plate mostly (only) seen on battlefields, when at war? Or is Realmsian armor-crafting better, such that it's more comfortable and not such an impediment to daily adventuring?

Female, 40-year DM of a homebrew-evolved 1E Realms, including a few added tidbits of 2E and 3E lore; played originally in AD&D, then in Rolemaster. Be a DM for your kids and grandkids, gaming is excellent for families!
Go to Top of Page

vallon
Acolyte

USA
31 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2011 :  14:34:53  Show Profile Send vallon a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Therise

Quick question: while adventuring, most of us who have fighter PCs would deck out in our best plate armor and such - because of the mechanical AC benefits.

But in the Realms, most of the time, wouldn't this be a little weird, tromping around in heavy plate (magical or not)? Even in dungeons, I wonder if most Realms warriors would actually wear things like heavy plate armor (*clank! clank!*) or if they might prefer enchanted leather or something that promotes ease of movement? In real life, just falling down in plate can be bad, since it's so heavy.

Is plate mostly (only) seen on battlefields, when at war? Or is Realmsian armor-crafting better, such that it's more comfortable and not such an impediment to daily adventuring?

Great question. I look forward to the Lovely Lady's reply.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2011 :  16:28:07  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:

Heh. This, from Ed, in his latest e-mail:

There's STILL more than one group of Phaerimm operating on Toril. :}

So there you have it. More of a proper reply to come, Ed promises, when he isn't so blamed busy.
love to all,
THO

What about beyond Toril? I'm now curious as to how many phaerimm have gone beyond Toril, whether to the planes or by catching a passing spelljammer.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 60 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000