Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2011)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 60

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2011 :  17:05:18  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message

Hi, Ed!

Would Mystra recruit a devil or demon as Chosen? Or had she already done it before?

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

lachlain
Acolyte

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2011 :  17:14:16  Show Profile Send lachlain a Private Message
Lady Hooded One,
Thank you for your prompt reply to my question and thank you to all the sages and Mr. Greenwood for everything that you do here. It is greatly appreciated.

Go to Top of Page

Rhewtani
Senior Scribe

USA
508 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2011 :  19:32:55  Show Profile Send Rhewtani a Private Message
I was wondering what you could tell us about the Leiyraghon family in the 1350s (specifically 1351, but forward from there, too).
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2011 :  21:45:29  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message
Hi, Ed!

Where exactly are the Mulhorandi pantheon now? Are all of them still alive? Were some subsumed by Toril's deities?

Edited by - Dennis on 28 Sep 2011 23:23:28
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2011 :  22:58:53  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

Hi, Ed!

Where exactly are the Mulhorandi pantheon now?

I'm Not Ed, nor the most esteemed LAdy Hooded One.

but I can make a guess, its NDA

the designers ought to get together one year and for an april fools day gag, make a setting called NDA. hahaha

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234

Edited by - sfdragon on 28 Sep 2011 22:59:59
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2011 :  00:31:52  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Back on Page 14 (I think) of this thread, scribe Nicolai Withander posted: "Hello Ed and THO... This might be a question someone else could answer for me but here goes!
Was wondering the other day, what kind of metal would be used by the elves of old for their most precious jewelry? Im thinking back in the Crown Wars days and ofc also during the high Myth Drannor?
As for jewelry im thinking tiaras, necklases and the like.
Also any information about how precious elven jewelry would look like I would be most glad!"
At the time, I answered about the flowing (curved lines) style of elven jewelry, and today our VERY busy Ed sent me an e-mail that contained this:

Most elven jewelry is of a silver or silvery-blue metal. They are almost always alloys, involving silver or being variants of electrum, as the elves strive to create a "living metal" (that is, a metal that responds to the body temperature and changes of its wearer, as plants/trees can) that can be pliable rather than brittle, soft rather than hard (yet still strong), AND accept and retain enchantments. Usually in secrecy, but sometimes with the aid of hired half-elves, gnomes, halflings, humans, and even dwarves, elves keep trying to create new and better (that is, having more of the properties mentioned above) alloys for their jewelry. Elves prefer to sculpt molds and cast jewelry-metals, rather than forging them, but have tried - - and continue to try - - almost anything to derive "better" alloys.

So saith Ed. Still tirelessly working on lore-queries old and new. He sends fond greetings to the gamers he saw at PHANTASM this year (this last weekend, in Peterborough), and is now hard at work on many, many projects various folk (and big New York fiction publishers, and gaming companies) are waiting for . . .
Yet he'll continue to send me lore-replies to post here, as often as he can.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2011 :  02:13:17  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message

Hi, Ed and THO!

Someone who uses both divine and arcane magic is called theurge, like Rivalen. Is there a [Realsian] name for someone who is a psionicist and arcane spellcaster? Psimage? How about for one who's a cleric [not of the God of Psionics] and psionist? Psipriest?

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2011 :  15:55:26  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Back on page 7 of this thread, Sage asked about musicians of the Underdark adapting to the surface world. In a play session in the wee hours this morning/last night, something touching on this arose: a drow harpist (NPC played by Ed, the DM) commented on the increased sustain and deepened timbre of the sound made by plucked strings in deeper caverns, versus the comparatively feeble sound she heard from her own music in a cavern that opened into the Realms Above. She said her harping sounded "puny" and "lost."

After the play session was over, I reminded Ed of your outstanding query, and he sighed and replied that he knew, but was still SO busy with income-earning work that Realmslore answers would just have to come along when they could. (He's added some secret projects to the workload I've already mentioned here at the Keep . . .)
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm
Learned Scribe

242 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2011 :  16:00:57  Show Profile  Visit Malcolm's Homepage Send Malcolm a Private Message
Dear Ed and THO,
Could either of you please enlighten us as to the design and appearance of playing cards in the Realms?
Material made of? Usual size, shape, and colour? What's on the backs? The designs on the fronts drawn with what? Usual colour palette of such illustrations/designs?
And how far off could the average citizen recognize a lone playing card dropped on the ground in an unusual area (i.e. field or forest, rather than on a path or floor or tavern table)? How far off would a neatly-stacked deck of cards on a table, amongst other stuff, be recognized?
Thanks in advance!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2011 :  16:23:14  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Hi again, all.
Back on page 7 of this thread, Sage asked about musicians of the Underdark adapting to the surface world. In a play session in the wee hours this morning/last night, something touching on this arose: a drow harpist (NPC played by Ed, the DM) commented on the increased sustain and deepened timbre of the sound made by plucked strings in deeper caverns, versus the comparatively feeble sound she heard from her own music in a cavern that opened into the Realms Above. She said her harping sounded "puny" and "lost."

After the play session was over, I reminded Ed of your outstanding query, and he sighed and replied that he knew, but was still SO busy with income-earning work that Realmslore answers would just have to come along when they could. (He's added some secret projects to the workload I've already mentioned here at the Keep . . .)
love,
THO

Much appreciated, milady. And please inform Ed that I am content to wait. I wouldn't think to stand in the way of such secret projects.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Foxhelm
Senior Scribe

Canada
592 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2011 :  22:18:58  Show Profile Send Foxhelm a Private Message
Watching Mythbusters and their ancient weapons test made me asked, "Do these ancient 'Plausible' weapons and armour exist in the realms?

Paper Armour as strong as steel

An Ancient Greek Arrow Machine gun (which was not recorded as built but the Mythbusters could make with the materials and techniques the Greeks had which the Realms should have also)

The Hwacha (Rocket Launched arrows fired at once)

Thanks.

Ed Greenwood! The Solution... and Cause of all the Realms Problems!

Edited by - Foxhelm on 30 Sep 2011 22:19:29
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2011 :  22:49:14  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Foxhelm, I know some Gondsmen fitted (for a stiff price, of course) some Sword Coast merchant ships with swivel-mounted batteries of rocket-launched oversized lances/harpoons. For anti-pirate defense...and of course pirates got hold of them, too.
The inevitable result was shipboard explosions and fires as the sailors who possessed these tried to turn the lances into fiery attacking weapons...something that always seems to go very wrong.
These examples came from Realmsplay in the "home campaign" with Ed as DM, over the last dozen years or so...
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2011 :  16:26:18  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Back on page 15 of this thread, Alisttair asked: "Oh great Greenwood, a question for thee:
We know a lot of the strong, muscled people in the realms achieve their musculature through intense battle training or working the forge and other such things mostly. I was wondering if they do any resistance training like we do in the real world? Bench presses, barbell and dumbell curls, etc... is any of this done for muscle building?"
. . . And Ed provided a partial answer on page 17. However, in an e-mail last night he added this:

In rural areas, those in training tend to carry weights about, usually while dressed in heavy armor, to build up their muscles AND skill in moving about/accomplishing exacting tasks whilst under encumbrance. The "carry weights about" is rarely abstract exertion, but rather useful tasks: carrying containers of water from a well, pool, or river to troughs or house cisterns, and carrying firewood (sometimes firewood that must be cut and split by the trainee, whilst in armor) from its place of preparation to a handy-to-place-of-use woodpile.

So saith Ed. Who may be so overloaded that his lore replies take some time in coming...but forgets none of them, and gets to those he can, when he can. Promise.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2011 :  16:36:52  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Dear Ed and THO,
We know there are some families (e.g. the Talonmists) of interest and power that Ed has worked into the Realms but we haven't seen much about yet. We also know that he has links (e.g. the Roaringhorn noble family) that span countries, and last down the centuries. My question is: does Ed ever work details of recurring families of little power, fame, or secrets into his lore, just to be able to use descendants of them later or let other DMs do so? (What I mean is: he makes up a family that DOESN'T have any powers, hidden magic items, monster bloodlines, royal connections, or similar "adventure hook" properties for them - - but just puts them on the table for possible future use/development?
And what sort of thinking/favourite strategies (that he wants to share) does Ed use in planning ahead for his own Realms campaign?
BB
Go to Top of Page

Baleful Avatar
Learned Scribe

Canada
161 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2011 :  16:45:57  Show Profile  Visit Baleful Avatar's Homepage Send Baleful Avatar a Private Message
Dear Ed,
A friend of mine attended Phantasm this past weekend, and asked you about the infamous author of FILFAERIL BOUND AND WILLING, making a (wrong) guess but pleading for a hint...and your hint was (if I've got it correctly):

"Consider the haelgaunt."

So...is that quote correct? And if so, what is a haelgaunt? (Er, that is, what can you share that you're willing to tell us? )
Thank you!
BA
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm
Learned Scribe

242 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2011 :  18:43:16  Show Profile  Visit Malcolm's Homepage Send Malcolm a Private Message
Dear Ed,
Reading the most recent Eye on the Realms column prompts me to ask: you write these a year ahead of time, right?
So, do you ever link them directly to future novel/game-lore-book plans? Or try to keep them separate?
I recall one column that was a direct sequel to an earlier column; do you try to avoid doing that, or do you like to expand/follow up on topics if readers go nuts over them?
Thanks in advance!
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2011 :  02:08:28  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Baleful Avatar, Ed assures me that you have it right: that sentence is exactly what he uttered. He adds that it will be meaningless "until he reveals more," and that he'll do that "at the right time."
In the meantime, he does have a swift response to Malcolm, re. the query directly above this post:

Yes, I usually deliver a year's worth of EYE ON THE REALMS columns before the end of a given year, so editors have time to approve them, artists have time to illustrate them, and we don't "miss an issue" (or rather, have a longer-than-usual time gap between appearances of the column).
I try to keep them separate from fiction and game lore plans, because plans have a way of changing as they become published reality, and because a tiny bit of me thinks of doing so as somehow "cheating." Now, that doesn't mean another creator shouldn't pick up and use something from an Eye column, just as DMs do.
I wrote that "direct sequel" column upon editorial request, because the first column generated a lot of reader interest. Unless there was an editorial request to do that again, the fact that a year's worth of columns are already in hand would probably slow/delay the appearance of sequel/followup columns. It's not something I'm opposed to, but unless a request is made, I'd just as soon explore new things with every column, so we all get to see more of the Realms.
Or to put it another way: I LOVE Waterdeep, but look how many Realms products explore it or are set in it or reference it . . . versus, say, Cormyr. Or Amn. Or . . .

So saith Ed. Who is quite possibly, given the month we've just entered, hard at work on new Eye columns already, or soon, or . . .
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Marc
Senior Scribe

657 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2011 :  12:11:44  Show Profile Send Marc a Private Message
well met THO and Ed

how would Ed convert the spell ''Color'' from Pages from the Mages to Pathfinder rules, 1st level or cantrip?

and Simbul's Spell Supremacy, 9th level spell?

Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2011 :  21:23:30  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Just a quick comment, if I may, on THO's last post:

My favorite articles of Ed's is when he explores some of the lesser-known regions of the Realms. Kudos for him steering clear of the areas that have been done-to-death. Ed has a way of making even the most mundane-seeming locales fatastical.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2394 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2011 :  22:14:07  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Marc

well met THO and Ed

how would Ed convert the spell ''Color'' from Pages from the Mages to Pathfinder rules, 1st level or cantrip?

Being Canadian, he would convert the spelling to "Colour."

Oh, wait....

...never mind.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2011 :  02:23:18  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi, all.
Elaine, you just made Ed snort tea all over himself.

Well said, great lady!
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

braunusvald
Acolyte

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2011 :  03:04:04  Show Profile  Visit braunusvald's Homepage Send braunusvald a Private Message
quote:

Hi, all.
Elaine, you just made Ed snort tea all over himself.

Well said, great lady!
love,
THO

Yep she gets 20 points for the nose shot :D

Could a Kercpa swing a Rod of lordly Might? All hail the mighty rodent!
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2011 :  03:07:36  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
And hello again, all.
I bring these replies, from Ed of the Greenwood to Dennis:

Dennis: “Is the de-emphasis on time traveling in the Realms due to Magic: The Gathering?”

Ed: No. Magic didn’t exist back then. This was a TSR design decision, with which I heartily concur.
The problem with writing time travel tales with a setting often used for games, is that it forces a clear resolution to the paradox problems (go back in time, kill your ancestor, so now you never existed, so how could you have gone back in time to kill your . . .) that will have major and permanent game impacts. It also cheapens all heroism and achievement by making “undoing” of deeds and events possible. So I’m quite happy to never go there.

Dennis (from #2 of an earlier post of 3 questions): “Is time travel restricted in the Realms? If yes, who or what restricts it? And why?”

Ed: Sorry, but this is NDA’d, and has been for at least a decade, due to future plans (not mine).

Dennis: “Are there spas or beauty salons in the Realms? What do they call it?”

Ed: Yes, many. Some in temples, as a revenue source, if compatible with the deity’s aims and interests, and many more small, private shops. They have many different names, depending on the location/culture they’re found in, but any well-travelled merchant will know what you mean if you refer to a “house of beauty” or a “bathhaven.”

Dennis: “Hi, Ed! Would Mystra recruit a devil or demon as Chosen? Or had she already done it before?”

Ed: Sorry, but this is NDA’d, too. Many far-reaching questions are, by their very nature.

Dennis: “Hi, Ed! Where exactly are the Mulhorandi pantheon now? Are all of them still alive? Were some subsumed by Toril's deities?”

Ed: Sorry, it’s NDA time again. You’ll appreciate that smaller-scope, specific queries have a better chance of being answered than large structural ones. That’s the nature of a shared world.

Dennis: “Hi, Ed and THO! Someone who uses both divine and arcane magic is called theurge, like Rivalen. Is there a [Realmsian] name for someone who is a psionicist and arcane spellcaster? Psimage? How about for one who's a cleric [not of the God of Psionics] and psionist? Psipriest?”

Ed: The word “psionics” is not directly known in the Realms. Some sages and arcane scholars call someone who has developed some power in both spellcasting and mental workings a “panurge” but this is by no means a universally-accepted and widely-used term. And there’s no collective term for a cleric who can use psionics, because most churches have a church rank or title they already apply to that individual, and because most faiths firmly believe that psionics are granted by the gods, and so aren’t all that “different” from divine magic, being rather a “gift” or “mark of favor” of the deity on the gifted individual.

And there you have it. So saith Ed (yes, he knows you still have other unanswered questions, Dennis, and will answer them as and when he can).
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2011 :  03:15:55  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message

Thanks, Ed and THO for taking time to answer my not so few questions. ;)

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2011 :  03:33:42  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi AGAIN, everyone! Dennis, you're very welcome, and . . .

Ed just sent me another e-mail, this one a response to Wooly Rupert’s recent query: “This will hopefully be a quick and easy one: what is asthma called in the Realms?
As an addenda, and one that I won't mind if it takes some time to answer: how is asthma treated, aside from using magic?”
Ed replies:

Hi, Wooly! In this reply, I have carefully avoided all real, real-world medicine. What follows is all pure fantasy, and applies to the Realms only . . .
Asthma has many local names in the Realms (“roren” is an old, widespread but now nigh-forgotten one, that’s still used in Rashemen, Aglarond, Impiltur, and the ?Great Dale), but is most often and most widely called “lackwind” these days.
The treatments are varied, from curative clerical spells to cantrips that oxygenate the blood without curing the condition, to local wisefolk remedies like inhaling the steam from a kettle (using clothing to hood the head so moisture can’t escape), to three or four herbal remedies that work (and dozens more that don’t). New remedies are discovered from time to time by herbalists, druids, alchemists, and priests (though monastery and temple “cures” tend to be closely-guarded secrets for as long as possible, rather than swiftly shared and spreading).

The effective remedies consist of:

1. Chewing the prickly, dark leaves and/or tiny yellow-white “flag” or “wisp” flower of a certain wild Heartlands and more northerly-growing weed (called “hammerwind” for its effects), that’s abundant but short and often overlooked (the darker-than-most-plants green leaves are the best way to spot it). They cause the lungs to pump rapidly, but the heart rate is also increased, skin goes bright red in the face, breast, and shoulders, and eyes sometimes bulge. The condition is alleviated for 1d2 days, but immediately after ingestion (and the first made rush of lung-pumping), the asthmatic may feel worn out and even weary-clumsy (“stumbling or fumbling exhaustion”).

2. Putting a single leaf of some little-known mountain flower on the tongue of the asthmatic. This works fast, but brings on euphoria (and for some, orgasm). The leaf must have been treated properly to be effective, and the plant and this “proper treatment” is apparently plentiful but little-known (except among some northern Harpers and dwarves, and the Witches of Rashemen). The leaves are small and almost perfectly triangular, and some say the plant is called “arritches,” while others refer to it as “storndown.”

3. The green, unripe “flower” (it actually looks very much like the harvested fruit of the hops plant) of the wild tortendril vine, crushed and brewed into a tea and drunk, gently and slowly alleviates asthma symptoms. It may take an hour or more for breathing to be comfortable, but if the tea is sipped (even cold and old), relief can last for days, even during exertion such as travel and moderate lifting and climbing.

4. “Auglauken” (pronounced “Aww-GLOCK-enn”) is the dried berry of a certain wild vine, that goes so brown and hard that some folk believe it is a nut. (Think: ovoid and smooth unpopped popcorn kernels.) This vine literally grows all over the known surface Realms that isn’t desert or frozen, but doesn’t produce berries all that often. Ingesting a raw, moist auglauken berry (enclosed in a slender pod often unnoticed among the side-tendrils and leaves of the vine) is as effective as hammerwind, but without some of the flushing/blushing and fierceness of the lung-pumping . . . and eating a dried one brings a gentle, lasting relief (stretching for most of the waking hours of a typical day). As a result, these berries are a staple of most healers’ and herbalists’ shops, and are not inexpensive (1 sp a berry in cities, 2 or 3 berries for 1 sp in rural areas where many folk know where and how they can be harvested). They travel and last well (often for years) if kept from the damp, or sundried within a day or two of every time they do get wet.

Hope this helps. As it happens, my wife is asthmatic, so I created this lore long, long ago.

So saith Ed. Tireless detailer of darned near every corner of the Realms.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2011 :  04:59:43  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message

I just wonder, given the LOAD of work on his plate right now, how does Ed find the time to answer our queries? ;)

Again, thank you!

Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2011 :  06:01:55  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

I just wonder, given the LOAD of work on his plate right now, how does Ed find the time to answer our queries? ;)

Again, thank you!

That's obvious isn't it? He's invented a cloning machine.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2011 :  10:53:09  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:

Hi AGAIN, everyone! Dennis, you're very welcome, and . . .

Ed just sent me another e-mail, this one a response to Wooly Rupert’s recent query: “This will hopefully be a quick and easy one: what is asthma called in the Realms?
As an addenda, and one that I won't mind if it takes some time to answer: how is asthma treated, aside from using magic?”
Ed replies:

Hi, Wooly! In this reply, I have carefully avoided all real, real-world medicine. What follows is all pure fantasy, and applies to the Realms only . . .
Asthma has many local names in the Realms (“roren” is an old, widespread but now nigh-forgotten one, that’s still used in Rashemen, Aglarond, Impiltur, and the ?Great Dale), but is most often and most widely called “lackwind” these days.
The treatments are varied, from curative clerical spells to cantrips that oxygenate the blood without curing the condition, to local wisefolk remedies like inhaling the steam from a kettle (using clothing to hood the head so moisture can’t escape), to three or four herbal remedies that work (and dozens more that don’t). New remedies are discovered from time to time by herbalists, druids, alchemists, and priests (though monastery and temple “cures” tend to be closely-guarded secrets for as long as possible, rather than swiftly shared and spreading).

The effective remedies consist of:

1. Chewing the prickly, dark leaves and/or tiny yellow-white “flag” or “wisp” flower of a certain wild Heartlands and more northerly-growing weed (called “hammerwind” for its effects), that’s abundant but short and often overlooked (the darker-than-most-plants green leaves are the best way to spot it). They cause the lungs to pump rapidly, but the heart rate is also increased, skin goes bright red in the face, breast, and shoulders, and eyes sometimes bulge. The condition is alleviated for 1d2 days, but immediately after ingestion (and the first made rush of lung-pumping), the asthmatic may feel worn out and even weary-clumsy (“stumbling or fumbling exhaustion”).

2. Putting a single leaf of some little-known mountain flower on the tongue of the asthmatic. This works fast, but brings on euphoria (and for some, orgasm). The leaf must have been treated properly to be effective, and the plant and this “proper treatment” is apparently plentiful but little-known (except among some northern Harpers and dwarves, and the Witches of Rashemen). The leaves are small and almost perfectly triangular, and some say the plant is called “arritches,” while others refer to it as “storndown.”

3. The green, unripe “flower” (it actually looks very much like the harvested fruit of the hops plant) of the wild tortendril vine, crushed and brewed into a tea and drunk, gently and slowly alleviates asthma symptoms. It may take an hour or more for breathing to be comfortable, but if the tea is sipped (even cold and old), relief can last for days, even during exertion such as travel and moderate lifting and climbing.

4. “Auglauken” (pronounced “Aww-GLOCK-enn”) is the dried berry of a certain wild vine, that goes so brown and hard that some folk believe it is a nut. (Think: ovoid and smooth unpopped popcorn kernels.) This vine literally grows all over the known surface Realms that isn’t desert or frozen, but doesn’t produce berries all that often. Ingesting a raw, moist auglauken berry (enclosed in a slender pod often unnoticed among the side-tendrils and leaves of the vine) is as effective as hammerwind, but without some of the flushing/blushing and fierceness of the lung-pumping . . . and eating a dried one brings a gentle, lasting relief (stretching for most of the waking hours of a typical day). As a result, these berries are a staple of most healers’ and herbalists’ shops, and are not inexpensive (1 sp a berry in cities, 2 or 3 berries for 1 sp in rural areas where many folk know where and how they can be harvested). They travel and last well (often for years) if kept from the damp, or sundried within a day or two of every time they do get wet.

Hope this helps. As it happens, my wife is asthmatic, so I created this lore long, long ago.

So saith Ed. Tireless detailer of darned near every corner of the Realms.
love,
THO

Thank you for the swift answer, friend Ed!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2011 :  16:36:46  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Hello All,

Ed I have some follow up questions about Trollbark Forest but seek to avoid NDA's so can they be answered with yes or no??

Trollbark Forest....Have elves or fey ever ruled this region?

Have the trolls always been here?

The forest’s dense underbrush, thick twisting stands of ash, and many bogs make it a perfect hunting ground for monsters that can crash through thorny barriers and nests of poisonous snakes without taking permanent damage. Is this what has prevented the trolls being removed from here?

Is there another a "power/presence" beneath/within the forest that uses the Trolls as cover for and protects them from extermination?

Does something ward against scrying into the depths of the forest?

Is the cliff edge of the forest rugged diffucult terrain to traverse? Any details would be greatly appreciated.

Does something other than trolls gaurd the cliff edge of forest or consider it domain.

Do occupants of Warlock's crypt have any influence in not allowing Trollbark Forest to be reclaimed by "good forces"?

Has anyone tried to exterminate the trolls in forest during 1300's?

Are there portals beneath the forest?

Are there portals within the forest?

Are there crossroads within the forest?

Are there any draconic beings within the forest?

Any draconic beings of huge or greater size?

Are there any extraplanar beings that call forest home?

Are there unknown breeds of trolls within the forest, mutations?

Is there magical leakage of any kind in forest?

does a non-troll rule the trolls?

are their Ogres within forest?

Are their precious resources magic or not being gaurded and farmed in forest?

Has anything ever tried to destroy the forest entirely?

Do various forces work together in protecting the forest?

Would various forces/factions prevent the forest from being destroyed via magic or mundane means?

Is there something/somethings very very valuable within forest that would draw attention from either other cities or races or classes (mages for example)?

In your homebrew have anyone sought to expel the trolls from forest and were they successful?

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2011 :  17:00:17  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message

Wow. Those are a lot. [Sorry, can't help myself.] ;)

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 60 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000