Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2011)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 71

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31690 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2011 :  03:21:18  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Malcolm

I dimly recall Ed saying something about flavored ices before. Where, though...can't remember.
It does sound familiar. I'll make a quick check of the "So Saith Ed" archives here at Candlekeep.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5043 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2011 :  03:52:12  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
ziresta, re. this: "In "A Dance In Storm's Garden," Elminster says, "I mate with dragons -- suitably shapechanged, of course -- and live to rue that whim." I find myself horribly curious about this. Not the mating itself, mind, the rueing of it. What happened?"
I THINK there's still an NDA in place on this (meaning: unpublished story or novel or TSR-approved {yes, it's that old} planned literary idea pending), but will check with Ed, of course.
And Wooly, re. this: "And did it involve penicillin?"
Har har.
Sage, I recall something about ices, too, but my search-fu is non-existent tonight; the Keep's search function keeps throwing me out, and I'm away from my home computers with their saved Ed-files. So yes, please search . . .
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5043 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2011 :  03:58:35  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, everybody.
Longtime Lurker, please pass this on to your friend, from Ed:

I'd be happy to meet and chat about writing or whatever at GenCon. My schedule is packed with panels and seminars and signings and suchlike, that I MUST attend, and I try to see friends in gaming in the spaces around them, but I primarily attend GenCon to see friends and make new ones, and am always happy to sit and talk with fans, gamers, writers veteran and novice, and anybody else. I've chatted with mayors and police chiefs, with prostitutes and company presidents of all stripes (including several of my outside-gaming publishing companies), with retired soldiers and War College types, with childhood friends who were astonished to run into me in an American city far from home . . . and I always love to talk about writing.
And listen, too. So if you want to PM THO, and we'll try to arrange a time . . .
Hugs in advance, from Ed.

So saith Ed. So there you go, LL.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5043 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2011 :  04:16:28  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
And Ed just surprised me with another e-mail!
MalariaMoon, here's more about Candlekeep's heraldry (Sage? Wooly? you might want to tell Alaundo about this, too...)
Here's Ed:

Over the years, Candlekeep has used two badges at various times (falling out of favor and being revived, overlapping each other, several times):
a vertical flat-white-hued human right hand, fingers towards the viewer, clutching a rolled-up, horizontal white scroll, the scroll being outlined all around with blue (what we in the real world sometimes call "electric blue")
two flat-white long fingered human or elven left hands, the uppermost at top left and the lower one at bottom right, passing a book (in the center) between them. The book is rectangular, dun brown, and oriented with top at upper right, open side down the lower right side, and bottom at lower left. It is plain (no title or illustration on its covers)
Candlekeep also has a formal coat-of-arms, consisting of:
An midnight blue (darker than royal blue, but with a lighter blue "edge" as if moonlight is lighting it "from behind," all around) shield. The shield has straight sides and top, a symmetrical center-point curved bottom, and is "taller" (longer, vertically) than the normal heraldic shield dimensions. It has a border of cream-hued books, all around, each one unique in dimensions and appearance, none bearing titles or visible writing, and each one touching the next.
On the shield is a motto (yes, ON the shield, winding across it just above the bottom point, not wrapped around the shield or beneath/below it) on a scarlet ribbon, that reads: "Write and share the written, and so cheat time."
Above this is a large, unfurled scroll, cream-hued and blank, and crossed atop it are a quill pen (point at lower left, feather-plume at upper right, quill being black and feather being blue with a white tip and black bars, rather like a real-world blue jay feather) and a plain steel-gray sword (hilt at upper left and point at lower right.
The sword is broken into two pieces, with jagged edges that would visibly mesh to form a whole if pushed together, but they are separated by the quill pen, which lies "across" the path of the sword in its own cleared channel (yep, the pen is mightier than the sword).
At certain times in the past, these arms have displayed certain lone runes in red on the scroll, but Candlekeep does not use them at this time, and does not explain what they were/are or why they were used and are not used now (magic is obviously suspected, but there are fierce debates about it being linked to Mystra, Oghma, Deneir, or other deities or non-divine forces or writings or individuals).
And no, I'm not going to reveal more about those runes right now. Perhaps later, when the time is right. So speculate away, scribes. :}

So saith Ed. Master of Realmslore, creator of the Realms and Alaundo and Candlekeep (the fictional originals, of course, not this site or real-world scribes using such monikers).
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31690 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2011 :  06:03:15  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

MalariaMoon, here's more about Candlekeep's heraldry (Sage? Wooly? you might want to tell Alaundo about this, too...)
Here's Ed:

Over the years, Candlekeep has used two badges at various times (falling out of favor and being revived, overlapping each other, several times):
a vertical flat-white-hued human right hand, fingers towards the viewer, clutching a rolled-up, horizontal white scroll, the scroll being outlined all around with blue (what we in the real world sometimes call "electric blue")
two flat-white long fingered human or elven left hands, the uppermost at top left and the lower one at bottom right, passing a book (in the center) between them. The book is rectangular, dun brown, and oriented with top at upper right, open side down the lower right side, and bottom at lower left. It is plain (no title or illustration on its covers)
An midnight blue (darker than royal blue, but with a lighter blue "edge" as if moonlight is lighting it "from behind," all around) shield. The shield has straight sides and top, a symmetrical center-point curved bottom, and is "taller" (longer, vertically) than the normal heraldic shield dimensions. It has a border of cream-hued books, all around, each one unique in dimensions and appearance, none bearing titles or visible writing, and each one touching the next.
On the shield is a motto (yes, ON the shield, winding across it just above the bottom point, not wrapped around the shield or beneath/below it) on a scarlet ribbon, that reads: "Write and share the written, and so cheat time."
Above this is a large, unfurled scroll, cream-hued and blank, and crossed atop it are a quill pen (point at lower left, feather-plume at upper right, quill being black and feather being blue with a white tip and black bars, rather like a real-world blue jay feather) and a plain steel-gray sword (hilt at upper left and point at lower right.
The sword is broken into two pieces, with jagged edges that would visibly mesh to form a whole if pushed together, but they are separated by the quill pen, which lies "across" the path of the sword in its own cleared channel (yep, the pen is mightier than the sword).
At certain times in the past, these arms have displayed certain lone runes in red on the scroll, but Candlekeep does not use them at this time, and does not explain what they were/are or why they were used and are not used now (magic is obviously suspected, but there are fierce debates about it being linked to Mystra, Oghma, Deneir, or other deities or non-divine forces or writings or individuals).
And no, I'm not going to reveal more about those runes right now. Perhaps later, when the time is right. So speculate away, scribes. :}

So saith Ed. Master of Realmslore, creator of the Realms and Alaundo and Candlekeep (the fictional originals, of course, not this site or real-world scribes using such monikers).
love to all,
THO

Neat.

I may just have to find a way to include this in Ed's already pre-existing An Introduction to Candlekeep scroll from the main-site.

Go to Top of Page

MalariaMoon
Learned Scribe

324 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2011 :  15:20:16  Show Profile  Visit MalariaMoon's Homepage Send MalariaMoon a Private Message
Thanks Hooded One and Ed,

Candlekeep's symbol is part of a neat little trap I'm designing, though I'd better not say more in these Halls, as it'll be sprung upon one of my fellow scribes!
Go to Top of Page

The_Silversword
Seeker

USA
32 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2011 :  16:58:01  Show Profile  Send The_Silversword an AOL message Send The_Silversword a Private Message
quote:

Here's Ed:

love to all,
THO

So the Heraldry on the map that came with the Baldur's Gate video game is totally bogus? Well I guess I should of known, being a video game done by an outside company, still though I had assumed that they would of done some research into the setting and at the very least check with Ed.

I survived the Great OTTer Purge of 2013 and all I got was this stupid sig.
Go to Top of Page

Hildifons
Acolyte

Sweden
4 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2011 :  22:00:43  Show Profile Send Hildifons a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The_Silversword

So the Heraldry on the map that came with the Baldur's Gate video game is totally bogus? Well I guess I should of known, being a video game done by an outside company, still though I had assumed that they would of done some research into the setting and at the very least check with Ed.

Actually, the Candlekeep logo on the map and in the game first appears in Volo's Guide to the Sword Coast written by Ed years before the game was released. So although the designers made many errors, the did their homework on this one.
Go to Top of Page

Eldacar
Learned Scribe

254 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2011 :  10:59:52  Show Profile  Visit Eldacar's Homepage  Click to see Eldacar's MSN Messenger address Send Eldacar a Private Message
I've got a question for Ed regarding mind-switch magic and the Chosen of Mystra. Specifically, how it relates to the silver fire/divine essence of Mystra that they carry.

I guess it comes down to how the silver fire/divine essence is tied to the Chosen. Is it linked to their body in some fashion or to their soul (or consciousness, mind, whatever you want to call it)? Is it some sort of change made by Mystra to the body of the to-be Chosen when she infuses it into them, or does she bond it to their soul, and the body that the soul is inhabiting simply has to change to account for the alterations being forced on it? Based on Ed's replies regarding the Nether Scrolls a couple of weeks ago, there seems to be the implication that silver fire can be produced without the user being a Chosen of Mystra if they can get the process from the Scrolls (though such secrets are/were kept very well-hidden, and I'd say with good reason), so it may not be tied to the Chosen at all per se.

If, for example, a Chosen of Mystra were to switch their mind/consciousness/whatever with another being on a permanent basis (3e rules allow this through the psionic power Mind Switch/True Mind Switch, though not being overly familiar with 2e mechanics I don't know of a comparable ability), would the silver fire/divine essence be "carried" along with them, since the mind you're displacing in the new body would get your old one? According to the mechanics/crunch, the person in the new body would retain supernatural abilities (of which silver fire/divine essence and presumably the Chosen of Mystra "template" as a whole would come under, excepting maybe the increased constitution they gain as a result of the alterations made to their bodies), but I'm not sure how this would work in concept (e.g. in concept, IIRC Ed has talked about how healing magic can vastly accelerate natural healing). What actually happens? By the mechanics, they keep the abilities of a Chosen (and presumably the divine essence), but what is the "descriptive" process for what happens?

I can't imagine Mystra letting silver fire be potentially stolen in such a fashion, for one (would she stop it from taking place at all, or have the silver fire removed from the body left behind like what happened with Sammaster?), but depictions of the Chosen in Realmslore seem to be along the lines of silver fire being tied to the body as much as the soul (e.g. Khelben at one point, I believe, mentioned that his body would have to absorb the energies of the Weave to build up a blast of silver fire for use against Phaerimm; though if that was simply an incorrect display then it obviously wouldn't be of any use, and several other aspects of the trilogy in question seem to have been largely discontinued).

Of course, given that I don't think any of the published Chosen have made a habit of body-hopping (that we know of...) it may be a moot point and they may not know what happens if they try, but I'm asking from a more omniscient view.

(All my questions seem to wind up being long, complex and twisting by the end. Apologies for that.)

"It always ends. That's what gives it value." ~Death of the Endless
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5043 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2011 :  15:10:48  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
To The Silversword, Hildifons is right: the computer game Candlekeep heraldry is yet another blazon briefly used by Candlekeep in the "home" Realms (and is also canon).
Ed tells me some monks make a hobby of designing new badges, blazons, and letterhead for the Keep, and often these efforts either creep into use or are formally adopted for a time . . . so there yet MORE efforts out there, some of them graven onto the lids of stone coffins of dead monks in the labyrinth of caverns beneath the Keep (see the relevant Wyrms article by Ed about the guardian dragon down there.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5043 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2011 :  15:20:15  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Eldacar, an e-mail from Ed just arrived, and here's the relevant bit of it:

Living bodies act as batteries (rechargeable storage chambers) for silver fire (which is how Elminster and others can absorb "extra" silver fire from others), if the mind inhabiting that body has the gift/ability to drain/skim/accumulate raw energy from the Weave (or from the raw/natural energy flows of the world [convection currents, flows of water, winds, temperature gradients, gravity, tides, etc.] that the Weave harnesses.
So both mind and body are involved.
If a Chosen takes over the body of someone else for a long time and has the ability, means, skills, and knowledge to alter that body to become a "silver fire chamber," then yes, they could transfer silver fire, or the silver fire collection ability, from body to body.
You'll see quite a bit of bodyhopping in my current Elminster novels, but they also illustrate why it's unusual for a Chosen to "add" to the total of silver fire-capable bodies in existence, as opposed to departing a destroyed/dying/failing body permanently for a new one.
There ARE silver fire collectors/wielders who have no connection at all to Mystra, but they are VERY rare and she destroys those who "misbehave" (in regards to their treatment of the Weave, other spellcasters, natural processes and balances, etc.), acting through intermediaries rather than directly confronting . . . and sending a Chosen to drain/gather the silver fire so it won't be lost.
I would love to say more, but here's where NDAs loom (because someone might want to use this in Realms fiction, some day).

So saith Ed. Who hopes this is of help.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Eldacar
Learned Scribe

254 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2011 :  16:46:04  Show Profile  Visit Eldacar's Homepage  Click to see Eldacar's MSN Messenger address Send Eldacar a Private Message
It does indeed. Many thanks, milady.

"It always ends. That's what gives it value." ~Death of the Endless
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
30412 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2011 :  18:11:38  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:

Hi again, all.
To The Silversword, Hildifons is right: the computer game Candlekeep heraldry is yet another blazon briefly used by Candlekeep in the "home" Realms (and is also canon).
Ed tells me some monks make a hobby of designing new badges, blazons, and letterhead for the Keep, and often these efforts either creep into use or are formally adopted for a time . . . so there yet MORE efforts out there, some of them graven onto the lids of stone coffins of dead monks in the labyrinth of caverns beneath the Keep (see the relevant Wyrms article by Ed about the guardian dragon down there.
love,
THO

And here's the link to that article.

Miirym, "The Sentinel Wyrm"

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31690 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2011 :  02:38:01  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

If a Chosen takes over the body of someone else for a long time and has the ability, means, skills, and knowledge to alter that body to become a "silver fire chamber," then yes, they could transfer silver fire, or the silver fire collection ability, from body to body.
I find this particular piece of lore fascinating.

Milady, could you perhaps pester Ed just a little, and ask him whether he has specifically established criteria for what a Chosen is looking for in another body... before the bodyhopping [as it were ]?

I've my own ideas for this, but I'm curious about what Ed may have already in place for it.

Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Master of Realmslore

1494 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2011 :  03:07:13  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by ziresta

In "A Dance In Storm's Garden," Elminster says, "I mate with dragons -- suitably shapechanged, of course -- and live to rue that whim." I find myself horribly curious about this. Not the mating itself, mind, the rueing of it.
This leads to subsequent appearance of young and, ah, excessively temperamental half-dragons making Pandemonium worth of noise and wasting Old Mage's good tea by throwing it in his face?

My question:
What noteworthy magocracies Faerun have? Post- Time of Troubles are Halruaa, Nimbral, Rashemen, Thay and Sshamath - is that all?
What others were there before, other than Netheril and (briefly) Athalantar?
It looks like there were a lot of all sorts of sorcerous monarchies from Shoon Empire to Aglarond, but surprisingly few magocracies, even counting their "herd of cats" side.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2400 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2011 :  20:57:15  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message
You can add the Arcana of Humbar and Olleth to your list. Both are deep within the Sea of Fallen Stars and are morkoth mageocracies. Both still exist, though only Olleth (pre-Iakhovas) was known to exist.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2011 :  13:37:22  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message
Well again all

I have been wondering about hidden heirs of both Azoun the fourth and fifth of that name and whether the Summerstars have hidden the heirs for any appreciable length of time?

Can Ed share any clack on what the average cormyte might say/think about the hidden heirs?

Kind regards

Damian

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005
Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2011 :  10:42:01  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by crazedventurers

Well again all

I have been wondering about hidden heirs of both Azoun the fourth and fifth of that name and whether the Summerstars have hidden the heirs for any appreciable length of time?

Can Ed share any clack on what the average cormyte might say/think about the hidden heirs?

Kind regards

Damian

Seconded. Any hidden heirs you might share, Mr. Greenwood...?

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2011 :  18:27:11  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message
Well again

I have been going through my copies of Polyhedron and came across the clack from issue 58 regarding 'The Black Blade' a single human female(?) brigand operating across Cormyr, Sembia and the Dales.

I was wondering if the Knights ever came across her and/or whether Ed can share some more lore on her and her magical abilities?

Thanks

Damian
ps. Are there anymore well known brigands/bands of thieves operating in the same area circa 1360DR or so that Ed can share with us?

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1412 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2011 :  12:17:35  Show Profile  Click to see Barastir's MSN Messenger address Send Barastir a Private Message
More info about brigands and bandits would be very nice, indeed!
Dear Hooded lady, could you please ask Ed to add some lore about this nasty class of villains around Waterdeep, Daggerford, the western High Moor and the North near 1368 DR? Thank you in advance, lady!

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)

Edited by - Barastir on 22 Jul 2011 12:23:58
Go to Top of Page

The_Silversword
Seeker

USA
32 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2011 :  09:45:05  Show Profile  Send The_Silversword an AOL message Send The_Silversword a Private Message
quote:

Hi again, all.
love,
THO

That sounds like it could get pretty darn confusing! So does this irk the Heralds like, "Ok look guys, you just changed your heraldry last week!"

Which makes me wonder, is there any sort of animosity between the Heralds and sages of Candlekeep? Or is it more of a mutual respect? Are records freely shared between the two?

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5043 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2011 :  00:41:11  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
The_Silversword, here's Ed's reply to you:

It could get confusing, yes, and it would certainly irk the Heralds if nobility or guilds did this (royalty is granted a bit more leeway, and it seems Candlekeep is granted even more, as they haven't [publicly, at least] said a word about it).
So far as I know, there's no animosity between the Heralds and Candlekeep, but there is a professional distance (largely "keeping out of each other's hair"). So, yes, I would say it's a mutual respect. Records are freely shared between the two in a literal sense (no fees), but not in a daily sense (as in, they VERY rarely exchange or share records). What usually happens is that Candlekeep gives free room, board, and records access to any traveling Herald who stops over - - and in return, get that Herald's free expertise (questions answered, badges and blazons designed, heraldic disputes settled, identifications made, etc.).
Hope this helps!

So saith Ed. Creator of the Realms, the Heralds, and Candlekeep (the fictional original, not this site, of course).
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
4944 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2011 :  13:19:16  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message
A belated happy birthday for the other day Ed. In the twirl of an interstate trip I plain forgot. Hope it was great!

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5043 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2011 :  21:46:13  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
George, Ed says:

Thank you. I don't feel a day over a hundred and two. :}
It was a quiet birthday, with the whole family weighing in and neighbors bringing us dinner AND goopy-sweet-icing cake (just the thing for a diabetic, so was deeply appreciated). I sat down and wrote a promised short story to celebrate.
The cat seemed to know; she clawed open the cupboard where we keep the little candles and such, and triumphantly emptied it onto the floor.
Just in case, you know, we'd forgotten where these essentials are kept. :}

So saith Ed. Who is busy with boogeymen, orcs, and bills. Not necessarily in that order.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The_Silversword
Seeker

USA
32 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2011 :  11:09:30  Show Profile  Send The_Silversword an AOL message Send The_Silversword a Private Message
quote:

Hi again, all.
The_Silversword, here's Ed's reply to you:

It could get confusing, yes, and it would certainly irk the Heralds if nobility or guilds did this (royalty is granted a bit more leeway, and it seems Candlekeep is granted even more, as they haven't [publicly, at least] said a word about it).
So far as I know, there's no animosity between the Heralds and Candlekeep, but there is a professional distance (largely "keeping out of each other's hair"). So, yes, I would say it's a mutual respect. Records are freely shared between the two in a literal sense (no fees), but not in a daily sense (as in, they VERY rarely exchange or share records). What usually happens is that Candlekeep gives free room, board, and records access to any traveling Herald who stops over - - and in return, get that Herald's free expertise (questions answered, badges and blazons designed, heraldic disputes settled, identifications made, etc.).
Hope this helps!

So saith Ed. Creator of the Realms, the Heralds, and Candlekeep (the fictional original, not this site, of course).
love,
THO

Thanx!!!
I love how Ed doesnt just answer yes, no, maybe. He goes the extra mile and adds in all sorts of details. Often times reading an answer to one question answers several others, and raises even more to boot!

And I didnt realize it was Ed's birthday, yes Happy belated Birthday!!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 71 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000