Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2011)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 60

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2011 :  17:31:30  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message

Thanks Ed and THO! I know Ed's truename, but I wasn't really sure if I used the right artifact nor did the right ritual.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Azuth
Senior Scribe

USA
404 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2011 :  17:33:40  Show Profile  Visit Azuth's Homepage Send Azuth a Private Message
Ed & THO,

Can a deity ever be totally destroyed? A simple yea/nea answer works if NDA doesn't allow for elaboration.

Azuth, the First Magister
Lord of All Spells

The greatest expression of creativity is through Art.
Offense can never be given, only taken.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2011 :  17:33:59  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Markustay, you recall correctly - - and Wooly, you tread into dangerous ground, you wise and insightful hamster, you!
(Which is a not so subtle way of saying you're on to something, both of you.)

And Kajehase, I don't believe I remembered to pass this on, yet, so: yes, Ed has read and enjoyed River King's Road, but Heaven's Needle is still in his almost-ceiling-high "must read soonish" pile. His many editing duties, blurbing books for friends and publishers, writing research, and library-day-job-related reading have combined to slow down his pleasure reading in recent months.

Speaking of which, * I * have an ever-growing pile of pleasure reading I should get back to!
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2011 :  17:38:29  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Azuth, your question is one that TSR and later WotC designers and editors working on/in the Realms (including, of course, Ed) have discussed many times. The general concensus is: theoretically, yes. However, it's so difficult to do (in large part because a deity clings to some sort of existence, however "scattered and unconscious," able to rise again if conditions are right, even thousands of years later, so long as ONE MORTAL WORSHIPPER "believes" in them), that in practical terms, the answer has to be: no.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2011 :  18:19:23  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

And Kajehase, I don't believe I remembered to pass this on, yet, so: yes, Ed has read and enjoyed River King's Road, but Heaven's Needle is still in his almost-ceiling-high "must read soonish" pile. His many editing duties, blurbing books for friends and publishers, writing research, and library-day-job-related reading have combined to slow down his pleasure reading in recent months.

Speaking of which, * I * have an ever-growing pile of pleasure reading I should get back to!
love,
THO

Many thanks for answering, THO. And I wonder... has anyone mentioned the concept of "taking some time off to recharge" to Ed?

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2011 :  21:27:42  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
quote:

Hi again, all.
Azuth, your question is one that TSR and later WotC designers and editors working on/in the Realms (including, of course, Ed) have discussed many times. The general concensus is: theoretically, yes. However, it's so difficult to do (in large part because a deity clings to some sort of existence, however "scattered and unconscious," able to rise again if conditions are right, even thousands of years later, so long as ONE MORTAL WORSHIPPER "believes" in them), that in practical terms, the answer has to be: no.
love,
THO
Which means, theoretically, that no being can ever truly be destroyed, since even the slightest memory of said being may later inspire worship, and therefor cause a 'posthumous apotheosis' (even centuries later).

Which gives me an idea for a question: Are there any FR cases of such - a being that 'ascended' post-death, and how would most mortals feel about being pulled from their 'normal afterlife', to be given a job and so much to care for? Would it depend upon the individual?

I ask this because death is supposed to be the "eternal rest", and being a deity, with all its intrigues and responsibilities, doesn't sound very restful. To me, its kinda like wanting to be President - what sort of idiot would want that?

Give me obscurity any day.

I suppose we could stretch this question to include beings 'pulled back' to the Prime Material, for whatever reasons, and being forced to stay against their will (in other words, not just a simple question-answering spell). Mummies come to mind (if disturbed, traditionally), but there are many other in D&D/fantasy.

The scene with Jak at the end of Paul Kemp's 1st Erevis Cale novel makes me think this sort of thing wouldn't be all that desirable to most folks.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 11 Sep 2011 21:29:56
Go to Top of Page

Therise
Master of Realmslore

1272 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2011 :  00:10:54  Show Profile Send Therise a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

quote:

Hi again, all.
love,
THO
Which means, theoretically, that no being can ever truly be destroyed, since even the slightest memory of said being may later inspire worship, and therefor cause a 'posthumous apotheosis' (even centuries later).

Which gives me an idea for a question: Are there any FR cases of such - a being that 'ascended' post-death, and how would most mortals feel about being pulled from their 'normal afterlife', to be given a job and so much to care for? Would it depend upon the individual?

I ask this because death is supposed to be the "eternal rest", and being a deity, with all its intrigues and responsibilities, doesn't sound very restful. To me, its kinda like wanting to be President - what sort of idiot would want that?

Give me obscurity any day.

I suppose we could stretch this question to include beings 'pulled back' to the Prime Material, for whatever reasons, and being forced to stay against their will (in other words, not just a simple question-answering spell). Mummies come to mind (if disturbed, traditionally), but there are many other in D&D/fantasy.

The scene with Jak at the end of Paul Kemp's 1st Erevis Cale novel makes me think this sort of thing wouldn't be all that desirable to most folks.

That's an interesting extrapolation, but I'm not sure that THO meant to go quite that far (i.e. any being, any soul, is indestructible if rooted in a single belief).

After all, don't souls who end up dissolving in the Wall of the Faithless get destroyed? Or people who have been killed by certain items (e.g. the Crescent Blade, when it was still infected by Wendonai's energies)? Or those wretched spheres of annihilation?

Actually, I can't remember if the last one destroys souls, but I'm pretty sure there have been precedents in lore for various souls having been destroyed.

Female, 40-year DM of a homebrew-evolved 1E Realms, including a few added tidbits of 2E and 3E lore; played originally in AD&D, then in Rolemaster. Be a DM for your kids and grandkids, gaming is excellent for families!
Go to Top of Page

Azuth
Senior Scribe

USA
404 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2011 :  00:40:23  Show Profile  Visit Azuth's Homepage Send Azuth a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Therise, Markustay, and The Hooded One

<snipped out for space's sake>

I think it important to remember the difference between a divine being and a mortal. My thoughts are that once Cyric and Midnight ascended to divinity, their "souls" became the "divine type" in that they could never truly be killed. While Mystra and her predecessor were "killed" they were reborn, as it were, into similar deities. This is one area I think the authors unquestionably got it "right" in the original Avatar Trilogy. Ao's Balance is pivotal to a "normal" game. Selūne is good/Shar is evil. Torm is good, Bane is evil. Ilmater good, Loviatar evil. That's why I see Eilistraee's destruction as so important; it removes any semblence of balance from the Drow Pantheon. One could argue that Lolth is just a Chaotic Evil god in the Elven Pantheon, and that any elf can worship her. Since the novels that deal with the afterlife focus almost exclusively on humans, it's not really known what Lolth would do if presented with a wicked, chaotic, malevolent sun elf's soul. Ao's decree said that the gods must serve their worshippers, and he didn't restrict that only to human gods. Lolth, much like Cyric, may think or have thought she was exempt, but that's hardly true given her own silence during the Time of Troubles.

It is for this reason that I believe we have "house rules" but with respect to the published works, consistency would be pretty important were I the editor. Which is a long way of bringing me to my next question for Ed & Tho...

As deities absorb or lose aspects of their portfolios, can their "alignments" change? If Lolth has the portfolio of all Drow, doesn't that mean she's absorbed Eilistraee and Vheraun? Wouldn't that have an impact on her CE alignment or her "allowed alignments" under the gaming system?

Thanks much!

Lord of All Spells

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2011 :  01:47:51  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

You know, it's almost comforting for me to remind folks that we're here to discuss Ed-lore, and not to get unintentionally side-tracked. It makes for a return to normalcy, that's been somewhat absent here of late.

Anyway, let's get back on track, eh?

Can we get intentionally side-tracked, then?

Don't you do everything intentionally anyway?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2011 :  01:55:08  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

What if Mystryl did the same thing? It's possible that the nameless girl who became Mystra was either a daughter of or a descendant of Mystryl. For that matter, a lot of magical anamolies could be explained that way -- maybe all of the non-Seven Chosen are descendants of Mystryl. Maybe some other odd cases, like wild talents, incantatrices, and even spellfire wielders are all descendants of Mystryl.
I've speculated previously that some of the possible "Chosen" of Mystryl may in fact have been these magical anomalies.

As Ed has said in the past, the reality of Mystryl having Chosen is supposedly "a secret of the Realms that has been sitting in plain sight for lo these many years." What if these anomalies become the original templates for how the Chosen of Mystra were to work, later with the rise of Mystra?

Interestingly, perhaps the whole concept of the Seven "Sisters" isn't something that's a wholly new invention in the faith of magical mysteries either. Maybe there were "Seven" magical anomalies of Mystryl as well.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2011 :  01:58:21  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Azuth

Ed & THO,

Can a deity ever be totally destroyed? A simple yea/nea answer works if NDA doesn't allow for elaboration.

I'll also add, for your reading pleasure, past tidbits from Ed on the subject of deity-death:-

"January 25, 2005: Hello, all. Ed answers Elf_Friend:

Regarding dead gods: mortals of Faerūn don’t know the true “current body count,” or where the residue of the divine essence of a dead god lies.

In part, this is because it’s very hard for a god to truly die unless very carefully destroyed by another god: otherwise, if some mortal of Faerūn still worships them or discovers them and starts worshipping them, later (even centuries later), they ‘rise’ again, albeit as almost powerless ghostly awarenesses (at their weakest).

The arguments among churches (about what god did what to which other god) confuse the average inhabitant of the Realms (who to believe?), but I’d say that among humans, most are aware that Bhaal, Iyachtu Xvim, Leira, and Myrkul are ‘dead.’ Only sages and some priests and wizards have even heard of, say, Karsus, and most folk accept that there are countless ‘godlings’ worshipped by various ‘cultists’ here and there across the Realms (from Savras and other half-remembered names to the beast-cults to “those dangerous folk who worship the skeletons of DRAGONS if ye can believe it, aye?”).

So some of them are dead and gone ‘forever’ (although one can then debate just how long ‘forever’ is, of course :}), but most are, as you say, “just dead, ready to be revived thru some epic act or worship.”

So saith Ed, Creator and Supreme Loremaster of the Realms. Also Champion Belcher of Colborne, I trow.

love to all,
THO"

Also:-

"So there’s constant worship going on for almost every divine being, rumored-to-be-divine being, half-forgotten and misremembered godlings... and even slain divine beings linger on as demigods or divine sparks that can “come back” if the right conditions occur. It’s hard to fall from the ranks of demigodhood, once attained: one simply becomes a weaker demigod. Mortals in the Realms are always whispering prayers to “forgotten” gods, in hopes that the grateful deity will give them a lot of aid, swiftly, either out of eagerness to have a new mortal worshipper to command, or simply because they hear and heed the prayer (where a more popular deity may miss or have scant regard for that one prayer, amid the deafening chorus of so many)."

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7969 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2011 :  02:16:21  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message
I'll shamelessly manhandle this deliberate distraction back onto topic by asking lovely Lady THO and Ed about how much motive will is possessed by zombies in the Realms*? That is, what exactly is the animating force which causes zombies to stupidly stumble around gurgling and rasping for brains?

* Zombies in the typical fantasy (and cheesy movie) context, not the technical term used by cognitive psychologists.

Is their motive force some sort of spirit-thing channeled into the corpse from a negative energy plane? Or is the original soul somehow recalled back by the Necromancer? If the latter, does it remain fully intact and conscious (and subjugated to a Necromancer), forced to witness and experience the horror of its existence ... or is it spiritually reformatted and lobotomized into an unhuman brainless thing? How conscious is an animated zombie?

I realize the topic of undead is not particularly Realms-centric, but the Realms does offer two unique quirks:

1) The Fugue Plane. Does a zombie's soul end up going there (again) when its corpse is destroyed? If so, can it keep on being yanked back from death to undeath any number of times, as long as there's a Necromancer and enough intact body parts still available? Would it still resume whatever afterlife it may have had before as a "faithful" (and do not the Faerūnian deities protect the souls of their faithful from such afterlife abductions)? Is the eternal soul forever tainted or damaged by serving zombie time? Can a soul dissolved into the Wall of Faithless be recalled back to the Realms so long as its original corpse is intact?

2) If undead are animated through supernatural (magical) means then are their populations decimated by what my group calls CWFEs (Critical Weave Failure Events; ie, Fall of Netheril, Time of Troubles, SpellPlague, etc)? Do CWFEs basically cause most of the undead (at least the lesser undead species) in the Realms to ... simply drop dead? Can stuff like wild magic or spellscarring randomly and inexplicably bestow sentience or life (or other power) onto an undead?

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 12 Sep 2011 02:40:42
Go to Top of Page

Azuth
Senior Scribe

USA
404 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2011 :  03:41:11  Show Profile  Visit Azuth's Homepage Send Azuth a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage
<ware ye: wise wisdom was snipped herein>

Having piqued my curiousity, Sage, I must now ask this question of Ed via THO:
The Frost Giants that worshipped a minor frost elemental in Price of Lies, despite their reverent and apparently multigenerational worship, failed to create a divine being. So, is there a threshold in which worship can create divinity? Or, perhaps, does it take a threshold before a favorable deity, perhaps Akadi in this case, starts to channel divine powers to the worshippers of intermediary agents, such as access to divine spells, et cetera?

Lord of All Spells

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7969 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2011 :  03:55:06  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message
Lurue - at least circa 1358DR, as presented in 2E FRA - had very few worshippers, perhaps only a fervent handful, and was simply grouped among all the other generic "minor beast cults" to save printing space. Nonetheless, even then she possessed considerable divine power (as a servant to Mielikki, I think), at least within her particular sylvan locality.

Conversely, there are others like Larloch who are described as being far more powerful than most Chosen or Exarchs, approximately rivalling a demi-power ... yet without drawing any faith energy from worshippers (unless you count his lich servitors, who really aren't very numerous in any event).

Consider also that Shar is certainly about as powerful as Mystra or Selūne or Tymora, yet in all likelihood her primarily underground worship would consist of far fewer worshippers than the many established churches dedicated to her sister goddesses; probably also of generally lower total experience levels if you prefer to count it that way. And yet she is not only able to prevail against them (against all of them combined, in fact), but she has sufficient power to destroy perhaps the most potent goddess of them all.

I think it's a qualitative threshold, not a quantifiable one. Power itself is a qualitative thing; power can be seen as a measure of how much one can influence, change, or control the environment ... certain divine "portfolios" are more suited to enjoy the advantages of this definition than are others.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 12 Sep 2011 04:11:16
Go to Top of Page

Azuth
Senior Scribe

USA
404 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2011 :  06:09:24  Show Profile  Visit Azuth's Homepage Send Azuth a Private Message
Perhaps so, but did Lurue previously have a larger number of worshippers, perhaps elves? I suspect Shar has many worshippers, although a great many may be from fear. My question is centered on the ascension to divine power through worship; that is, is it even possible. Does thousands of people in Cormyr loving Azoun (IV) eventually grant him godhood? If it did, how would his portfolio be chosen? I believe this is why the caveat that Ao rules supreme and thus unchallenged in appointing or allowing divinity. He decreed that lack of worship can cause deities to fade away, but not the inverse. Thus, I await Ed's reply.

Lord of All Spells

Edited by - Azuth on 12 Sep 2011 22:59:33
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2011 :  17:19:24  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
@Ayrik: I've come to the conclusion that 'life' (as we know it) requires THREE types of metaphysical force (Spirit, Soul, and Animus), and the lack of any one will result in undeath.

Typical zombies lack two - a spirit (the 'mind', if you will), and a soul (the eternal portion of all things), but retain the Animus (motive force). Improved Zombies ("Brains!") still have a spirit, since they are able to communicate (albeit not very fluently). The moral portion of a being resides in the soul, so without it, a creature is driven by its base desires (ie., hunger). Under normal circumstances, both the spirit(mind/persona) and soul (Lifeforce) leave the Material plane upon death, but occasionally all or some part of one (or both) gets 'trapped', which leads to several types of non-corporeal undead.

It is entirely possible for the ghost of a creature to run into its own zombie (not sure if its ever happened in FR, but it did happen in a Xanth novel, IIRC).

Just my 2¢ for what its worth; Ed may, of course, see things differently. My own hypothesis works within the (2e) rules-structure, based on Planescape and other sources (I merely renamed a few things to give it a more 'spiritual' feel).

quote:

I think it important to remember the difference between a divine being and a mortal. My thoughts are that once Cyric and Midnight ascended to divinity, their "souls" became the "divine type"... <snip>
Interesting... I hadn't thought of that. In game terms, that means not just the physical body of a person can acquire a template, but so can their soul.

VERY interesting line of reasoning... could explain a lot - Vampires, for instance, may be a case of both.

Still, all beings can ascend (even non-thinking ones, AFAIK), and can do so long after death, which means there is ALWAYS a way of bringing something back (although one may argue that if Dender or Kezef devour the soul, or it falls into the River Styx, etc, it is annihilated, and the being 'returned' after such a final destruction is really a copy created from the memories of the ones that brought it back).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Tyranthraxus
Senior Scribe

Netherlands
423 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2011 :  21:15:33  Show Profile  Visit Tyranthraxus's Homepage Send Tyranthraxus a Private Message
Dear Ed and THO,

The last known Magister is Noume'a. Is she still around in the post-Spellplague era?

I'm currently reading Elminster: The Making of a Mage and I was wondering who the Magister is El met in Hastarl. Is it perhaps Azuth (before achieving a divine status), or will his identity will be revealed later on the novel? I haven't finished reading it yet so I apologize if it's a stupid question. Great novel BTW, I always wondered about El's past .
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2011 :  21:34:46  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
I THINK I remember the Magister in MAKING OF A being identified before, here at the Keep (as in, someone asked and Ed answered), but I can't find it...sorry...
BB
Go to Top of Page

Azuth
Senior Scribe

USA
404 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2011 :  01:19:52  Show Profile  Visit Azuth's Homepage Send Azuth a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Tyranthraxus

Dear Ed and THO,

The last known Magister is Noume'a. Is she still around in the post-Spellplague era?

I'm currently reading Elminster: The Making of a Mage and I was wondering who the Magister is El met in Hastarl. Is it perhaps Azuth (before achieving a divine status), or will his identity will be revealed later on the novel? I haven't finished reading it yet so I apologize if it's a stupid question. Great novel BTW, I always wondered about El's past .

I'm almost certain it is not Azuth in Elminster: The Making of a Mage. I'm also pretty sure that the identity of the current Magister is NDA, and there isn't necessarily even a Magister at present given Mystra's...status. THO or Ed can verify NDA or not, I'm sure, but I'm fairly certain that's the current situation in the post-Spellplague Realms.
Cheers,

Azuth

Lord of All Spells

Go to Top of Page

Tyranthraxus
Senior Scribe

Netherlands
423 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2011 :  01:40:40  Show Profile  Visit Tyranthraxus's Homepage Send Tyranthraxus a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Blueblade

I THINK I remember the Magister in MAKING OF A being identified before, here at the Keep (as in, someone asked and Ed answered), but I can't find it...sorry...
BB

I did a quick search but I couldn't find as well. I have to admit my search fu isn't very good though. I'll try again tomorrow (it's a bit late over here right now).

quote:

I'm almost certain it is not Azuth in Elminster: The Making of a Mage. I'm also pretty sure that the identity of the current Magister is NDA, and there isn't necessarily even a Magister at present given Mystra's...status. THO or Ed can verify NDA or not, I'm sure, but I'm fairly certain that's the current situation in the post-Spellplague Realms.
Cheers,

Azuth

Some of Mystra's chosen survived the Spellplague so there might be chance the Magister did as well.

I was afraid I'll bump into NDAs, but it never hurts to ask.
Go to Top of Page

Azuth
Senior Scribe

USA
404 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2011 :  01:45:57  Show Profile  Visit Azuth's Homepage Send Azuth a Private Message
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Blueblade

BB

I did a quick search but I couldn't find as well. I have to admit my search fu isn't very good though. I'll try again tomorrow (it's a bit late over here right now).

Some of Mystra's chosen survived the Spellplague so there might be chance the Magister did as well.

I was afraid I'll bump into NDAs, but it never hurts to ask.

I don't disagree about the Chosen: what you state is a proven fact. But I don't believe it's been explained what happens to the Magister as a position in the absence or uncertain absence of a goddess of magic. I'm more than happy to be proven wrong...I'll be hunting for a new body once all this 4E nonsense is over I'll join in on the query to Master Greenwood on the subject of the Magister's Fate in the "current" era.
Cheers,

Azuth

Lord of All Spells

Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2011 :  02:11:42  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message
The Many Murders of Manshoon answers the question about the "Last" Magister. Realms of the Dead is the novel that story is in...

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2011 :  02:23:26  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
Fellow scribes, we're meandering from the purpose of this scroll once again.

Please, if you must continue this branch of the current conversation, I suggest opening a new scroll and further exploring it therein.

Let's try to get back to just "Q&A" for and from Ed, eh?

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6645 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2011 :  13:12:47  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message
quote:

Dear Ed and THO,

The Magister featured in "Making of a Mage" was Dorgon "Stonecloak" Heamiiolothtar who reigned from 177DR to 241DR - the longest Magister reign (at that time) since Azuth himself.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

momentspause
Acolyte

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2011 :  16:35:13  Show Profile Send momentspause a Private Message
Dear Ed and greetings all,

I'm going to go a bit old school here. In the Aurora's Catalog, it refers to the Bricksmen's Catalogue. There is precious little else mentioned, and probably for good reason :) But who or what are/were the Bricksmen? What role do they play in the cities, guilds, etc? I appreciate any tidbits and information the Sage may care to share. Thank you.

Sincerely,

M.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2011 :  16:51:44  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by momentspause

Dear Ed and greetings all,

I'm going to go a bit old school here. In the Aurora's Catalog, it refers to the Bricksmen's Catalogue. There is precious little else mentioned, and probably for good reason :) But who or what are/were the Bricksmen? What role do they play in the cities, guilds, etc? I appreciate any tidbits and information the Sage may care to share. Thank you.

Sincerely,

M.

I'm not sure whether Ed could actually answer that question, since it's not a tome he had any direct input on.

You may have more luck by querying those Lorelords who were actually responsible for those particular contributions.

Go to Top of Page

momentspause
Acolyte

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2011 :  17:21:42  Show Profile Send momentspause a Private Message
I bow to the wisdom and suggestion of the learned Sage. Thank you for that excellent idea. I'll see what I can dig up that way.

M.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2011 :  12:15:07  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message
Hi, Ed and THO!

Is The Terraseer really the oldest being in Toril?

Did Aumvor and Ioualaum survive the Spellplague? Were they severely weakened? Have they recovered their strength? Or did they emerge from such cataclysm nearly unscathed?

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2011 :  16:11:49  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all. Dennis, Ed tells me:

"Is The Terraseer really the oldest being in Toril?"
Reply: No. Who is? NDA.

"Did Aumvor and Ioualaum survive the Spellplague?"
Reply: Yes.

"Were they severely weakened? Have they recovered their strength? Or did they emerge from such cataclysm nearly unscathed?"
Replies: NDA, NDA, NDA.

Ed adds: Sorry, but you're just going to have to be patient on these matters. Authors at work, and so on.

love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2011 :  16:49:39  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message

At least I know now that the two survived. Thanks, THO and Ed.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 60 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000