Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2011)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 71

Azuth
Senior Scribe

USA
402 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2011 :  19:43:42  Show Profile  Visit Azuth's Homepage Send Azuth a Private Message

I agree with the sentiments of The Red Walker. For all that Ed does for us, let us allow him time to grieve. I know that our Lady Herald tracks and sends subjects, but let us not burden her with questions until she feels Ed is ready to answer them. Ed certainly has stacks of questions to review that have already been submitted should he wish to do so, but I suspect he has plenty of other outlets he can use if he feels the need for distraction. THO, I dare say I speak for all of us in asking you to convey our condolences to Ed on our behalf.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
29901 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2011 :  20:55:55  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
My condolences to Ed and his family.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

AryalůmŽ
Senior Scribe

USA
666 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2011 :  21:06:14  Show Profile Send AryalůmŽ a Private Message
Starts keening.......
My deepest condolences to Ed and his family.
Go to Top of Page

Joran Nobleheart
Senior Scribe

USA
489 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2011 :  23:24:39  Show Profile  Visit Joran Nobleheart's Homepage Send Joran Nobleheart a Private Message
If you would, please pass along my own condolences to Mr. Greenwood if you would, please. He and his family are in my thoughts and prayers.

Paladinic Ethos
Saint Joran Nobleheart
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31688 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2011 :  23:38:08  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message
Sympathies from the Lady K and myself, Ed. We're truly sorry.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Elfinblade
Senior Scribe

Norway
377 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2011 :  00:47:00  Show Profile Send Elfinblade a Private Message
Please convey my sincere sympathy and condolences for Ed and his family.
Go to Top of Page

Aysen
Learned Scribe

115 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2011 :  02:53:11  Show Profile  Visit Aysen's Homepage Send Aysen a Private Message
Echoing my fellow scribes, let me add my own sentiments of condolence to Ed and his family in this time of grief and remembrance. (Places both hands over heart and bows head.)
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3747 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2011 :  03:44:55  Show Profile  Click to see Alystra Illianniis's MSN Messenger address Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message
Aye. I'll add my own heartfelt condolences, as well. Blessed be, Ed o' the Greenwood.

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
6195 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2011 :  03:48:32  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message
Having recently lost a close family member I understand how Ed might feel and convey my sympathy as well.

Eat lots of garlic - it keeps the elves and vampires away.
Don't stick your sword into dragons, you just don't know where they've been.
Avoid stepping on halflings. They stick to your boots, will smell awful, and are impossible to scrape off.
Ah, of course. Never play leapfrog with a unicorn.
[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2011 :  05:53:41  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message
And add my condolences to the growing pile Ed.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Knight of the Gate
Senior Scribe

USA
623 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2011 :  09:42:54  Show Profile  Visit Knight of the Gate's Homepage  Send Knight of the Gate a Yahoo! Message Send Knight of the Gate a Private Message
Heartfelt condolences, sir; know that you have a horde of friends unmet who, in a small way, grieve with you.

How can life be so bountiful, providing such sublime rewards for mediocrity? -Umberto Ecco
Go to Top of Page

arry
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
313 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2011 :  11:03:15  Show Profile Send arry a Private Message
Deepest sympathy to Ed and family.
Go to Top of Page

gomez
Learned Scribe

Netherlands
254 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2011 :  15:48:04  Show Profile  Visit gomez's Homepage Send gomez a Private Message
My condolences, as well.
Go to Top of Page

CylverSaber
Learned Scribe

75 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2011 :  04:47:25  Show Profile  Visit CylverSaber's Homepage Send CylverSaber a Private Message
My condolences as well. Real life tribulations like these take precedence over any of our silly questions, of course, but I will add mine to the pile for Ed to address when he can.

1) Are there any published reference to Netheril (eg; Dragon articles) that predate the 1st edition Campaign Set? 2) Floating cities aren't mentioned in the early references; when and how was that concept added?

Thanks Ed.
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1394 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2011 :  04:59:12  Show Profile  Click to see Barastir's MSN Messenger address Send Barastir a Private Message
My sympathies also go for Ed and his family, Hooded Lady. They'll be in my prayers.

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

AryalůmŽ
Senior Scribe

USA
666 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2011 :  16:10:38  Show Profile Send AryalůmŽ a Private Message
If it is possible for me to ask: What stance did House Durothil take during the Crown Wars?
Again, my deepest sympathies for Ed and his family.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5037 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2011 :  16:25:25  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all. I bring you words from Ed:

For those who knew Mike and are in the Toronto (Ontario, Canada) area, there's a memorial service for Mike this Wednesday 7pm at the second church south of Bloor, on the NW side of Windermere Avenue at its intersection with Mayfield Avenue (the one that doesn't look like a conventional church). Then back to Mike's house afterwards to raise a glass in his memory with Susan and everyone else who knew him and shows up.
THANK YOU to everyone who has sent or posted their condolences; it means a lot to feel your love.

Markustay, there's no need to let the thread fall silent. I'll be out of contact Wednesday (and THO probably will, too), but otherwise "on the job." Mike was all about good times and being there for friends and enjoying sf and fantasy together; the most fitting thing I can do in his memory is to throw myself right back into my work and "be there" for all of you.

Apropos of that, grabbing the most recent questions from the top of the pile, my replies to CylverSaber are as follows:

1. I don't THINK so. I mentioned Netheril in several of my DRAGON articles, but those mentions usually got edited out because it was considered too long a digression (from whatever the matter at hand I was writing about) to stop and explain what "lost Netheril" was. However, if any pre-Old Gray Box references survived, they're probably in a PAGES FROM THE MAGES instalment.
Netheril is my creation, and was "in the Realms" before TSR published one word about the Realms (and for that matter, before the D&D game existed). So it was "always there," one of my ways of explaining the origins of "fantastic magic you come across that's bafflingly unfamiliar to most PC and NPC wizards you know or meet," and reinforcing the idea that humans aren't rising from savagery to greatness in a smooth, unbroken line that you are HERE on, but rather have had previous 'golden ages' that are the origins of some of these ruins, dungeons, and magic you're adventuring to try to find."
In other words, Netheril was part of the setting from well before anyone but me (and a few friends I discussed bits and pieces of the Realms with) knew about it.
2. So were its floating cities. They weren't an "added" concept; they preceded my coming up with the name Netheril. The notion of floating cities of all-powerful archwizards (whose magic altered the environment of those cities), with an underclass on the ground below doing food-producing gruntwork, was something I "thought up" around 1971, with the name Netheril and the idea of the diaspora (to Halruaa and other places, using skyships and the flying cities themselves) and some "crashed" cities in place by 1972 (D&D comes along in 1974, with most people outside of a few college campuses and Gary and Dave's friends not seeing it until 1975).
Divers references to Netheril are around in the published canon before slade's Netheril boxed set, though, because I recall Julia Martin (Realms continuity guru at the time) warning me to stop "explaining magic away by citing Netheril" in my work because it was finally time to give it proper coverage in the published canon - - and I then rushed to cobble together all of my notes on it to assist in the design process (most, as I recall, ended up not being used).
I hope this is of help.

So saith Ed. Who is hard at work on a game adventure as I post this.
love to all,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 21 Mar 2011 18:34:35
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
13450 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2011 :  17:22:57  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Since I made a big deal a short time ago about 'giving credit where credit is due', I have to let it be known that it was Azuth who suggested 'quiet time' (and I thought that was a very respectful idea, BTW).

Give Ed our love.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 20 Mar 2011 17:23:28
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1944 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2011 :  17:28:31  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message
I had thought a moment of silence was appropriate as well, but I will send out my most sincere sympathies and deepest regards.

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3524 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2011 :  20:15:59  Show Profile  Send The Red Walker a Yahoo! Message Send The Red Walker a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Since I made a big deal a short time ago about 'giving credit where credit is due', I have to let it be known that it was Azuth who suggested 'quiet time' (and I thought that was a very respectful idea, BTW).

Give Ed our love.

Am I on your ignore list?

Any chance that bardic magic can " make a comeback" in 4e ( or anytime soon)?

I am re-reading Elaines tales with Danilo, and had forgotten just how much I enjoy a good Bard's Tale (what a great intro to computer gaming that was for me on that ole commodore 64)

I love the way Elaine handles bards, but would be eager indeed to see it handled by the bearded giver of great hugs.

I think it is also something that our young friend Erik could really handle as well(I think I will pose him the same question as well!)

I think the realms could be missing out on some great stories.

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963

Edited by - The Red Walker on 20 Mar 2011 21:30:54
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3747 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2011 :  21:48:33  Show Profile  Click to see Alystra Illianniis's MSN Messenger address Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message
Aye, I'd enjoy a good bardic tale, as well!

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2011 :  00:19:24  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Well, Storm (a bard, remember?) is in Ed's most recent four novels, but yes, I'd love to see bards more prominent in an Ed-penned book.
Of course, Ed's next one is finished by now and the one after that probably well under way. So suggestions we make now may not bear fruit until the August after next, or even later...
BB
Go to Top of Page

CylverSaber
Learned Scribe

75 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2011 :  03:52:24  Show Profile  Visit CylverSaber's Homepage Send CylverSaber a Private Message
quote:
The notion of floating cities of all-powerful archwizards (whose magic altered the environment of those cities), with an underclass on the ground below doing food-producing gruntwork, was something I "thought up" around 1971, with the name Netheril and the idea of the diaspora (to Halruaa and other places, using skyships and the flying cities themselves) and some "crashed" cities in place by 1972 (D&D comes along in 1974, with most people outside of a few college campuses and Gary and Dave's friends not seeing it until 1975).
Divers references to Netheril are around in the published canon before slade's Netheril boxed set, though, because I recall Julia Martin (Realms continuity guru at the time) warning me to stop "explaining magic away by citing Netheril" in my work because it was finally time to give it proper coverage in the published canon

Thanks Ed! That is not only helpful but very interesting. I noticed that in 1991's Anauroch accessory, the gradual demise of Netheril at the hands of the phaerimm's lifedrain spells is detailed, but no hint is given that Netheril was anything other than a land-based empire; was this because the story of Karsus was considered too much to get into at that point? The floating cities seems like such an essential part of Netheril's flavor that it's amazing to me they apparently don't get mentioned till 1996's Netheril: Empire of Magic, nearly 10 years after the Realms became an established campaign world.
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3524 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2011 :  04:04:48  Show Profile  Send The Red Walker a Yahoo! Message Send The Red Walker a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Blueblade

Well, Storm (a bard, remember?) is in Ed's most recent four novels, but yes, I'd love to see bards more prominent in an Ed-penned book.
Of course, Ed's next one is finished by now and the one after that probably well under way. So suggestions we make now may not bear fruit until the August after next, or even later...
BB

I can't forget Storm.

But to me,in the novels, she's a fighter who's a chosen, who's a pretty decent wizard, who sings when shes relaxing or chopping wood. I'm think of a more straight forward bard type, singing while they fight all that jazz.

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
13450 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2011 :  10:56:18  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Although I am highly interested in the answer, I am only asking this question at this time because I felt obligated to respond to Red walker's post, but also feel obligated to respect the wishes of the moderators and try to keep the scroll clutter-free. So, with all do respect (and giving Ed all the time in the world that he needs for himself), here is my query:

How much of the 2e FR-MC is 'Ed'? I was going through the entries yesterday, and I note that many of those creatures never made it into later editions (in other words, 3e sources). Some of them are pretty darn cool, and have a definite 'Edwardian' feel.

quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Give Ed our love.

Am I on your ignore list?
Ack! My apologies.

I knew I didn't make the (excellent) suggestion, and I only scrolled-back until I found a post that did. I guess I should have gone back one more.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 21 Mar 2011 11:11:02
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 71 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000