Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2011)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 60

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2011 :  21:31:08  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
I'd like to second createvmind's question in regards to dwarves - I have a current project going on and anything dwarven is always much-appreciated (because dwarves are oft under-appreciated in the Elf-O-Centric Realms).

Also, came across a bit of lore I never noticed before in VGttN (imagine that!) - anything you can share abut the Talonmists? (and any scribes here who know of past answers are invited to point me in the right direction).

Going by their brief description, I would say they are amongst some of the most powerful forces on Toril, yet I can't remember ever hearing about them before. Would they still be around post-Spellplague, or would most of them have left for 'greener pastures'? Given their knowledge of other worlds (and therefor non-Weave magics), I think they would have been in a VERY good position post-plague.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2011 :  21:26:29  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
They sure are powerful, judging from what little we know. They have been mentioned a time or two here at the Keep, including in past years of this thread, but if I recall correctly, Ed's been very . . . NDA-lipped about them.
BB
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2011 :  07:45:12  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message
Ed and THO, what is the most devious lower level spell combinations the Knights have run into used by Bad-guys in your home campaign?

I used Rainbow Shield coupled with Vampiric Touch to good effect with a character of mine...and I thought that was pretty devious; but I would LOVE to hear some of the things you have used against the party in your home game!

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2011 :  16:46:16  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, everyone!
Tomorrow night through Sunday, Ed is a Guest at Ad Astra in Toronto, Canada's oldest continuously running sf/fantasy/gaming/anime/etc. convention, at the Toronto Don Valley Hotel & Suites (1250 Eglinton Avenue East, 1-877-474-6835 or 416-449-4111), aka "the hotel at NE corner of Eglinton and the Don Valley Parkway that keeps changing its name."
You can catch Ed at:
• the Opening Ceremonies (Friday 7 pm in Ballroom West), where he's giving a short speech ("members will be addressed by past Guests of Honour the Honourable David C. Onley, Lieutenant Governor of Ontario (1984), Julie Czerneda (2002), and Ed Greenwood (2006)")
• the Coin-Op Improv (Friday 9-11 pm in Wynford): an improv comedy show that's a special fundraising event for The Sunburst Award for Canadian Literature of the Fantastic. The improv is presented by the troupe Pandora’s Toybox, led by actress Emily Schooley. "Come to share in the laughter and to help support a great cause."
• Fiction Reading (Sat 1-1:30 pm in Crowne Room): Dave Duncan, Ed Greenwood, Gregory Wilson
• Mass Autograph Session (Sat 3:30-5:30 pm in Ballroom East/West)
As a courtesy to other attendees, when lines are busy we ask that you limit yourself to 3 autograph items at a time, per author. Please note: If there is no lineup for a Guest or panelist during the session they may choose to leave early.
The following Guests and Panelists are scheduled to participate: Guy Gavriel Kay, Ellen Datlow, Stephen Jones, Don Hutchison, Scott Edelman, Kathryn Cramer, Elisabeth Vonarburg, Tamora Pierce, Julie Czerneda, Peter Watts, Todd McCaffrey, Shawna McCarthy, David G. Hartwell, Ed Greenwood, Dave Duncan, Mercedes Lackey, Larry Dixon, Eric Flint, Tanya Huff, Howard Tayler, Ben Bova, Stephanie Bedwell-Grime, Marie Bilodeau, Leah Bobet, Eric Choi, Michael Colangelo, Karen Dales, Marcy Italiano, Matthew Johnson, Nancy Kilpatrick, Dennis Lee, Derwin Mak, Lesley Livingston, Derryl Murphy, Tony Pi, Rob St. Martin, Moira Scott, Melissa Yuan-Innes, Douglas Smith, Suzanne Church, JM Frey, David Nickle, Kent Allan Rees, Timothy Carter, Robert Shearman, Adrienne Kress
• Panel: Extreme World Building (Sunday 10-11 am in Ballroom East): Elaborate settings can be rich and engrossing for readers and authors, yet rarely do you see behind those lovely scenes. Discover just how far (or near) authors go to give you believable and unique worlds. Panelists: Julie Czerneda, James Alan Gardner, Ed Greenwood, Derek Kunsken, Howard Tayler, Sarah Zettel
• Guest Hour (Sunday 11-12 am in Ballroom West): Scribes should take note of THIS golden opportunity . . . Have a question for one of Ad Astra 2011?s Guests of Honour or want to learn more about your favourite Guests? Guest Q&A session with Ed Greenwood, Dave Duncan, and Eric Flint
• Panel: What Makes a Hero? (Sunday 1-2 pm in Ballroom East) Scribes should note that Ed and his co-editor (of the forthcoming anthology WHEN THE HERO COMES HOME, which features stories by several Realms aulmnae), Gabrielle, are participating in this one . . .
The hero—or heroine—is a vital part of a fantasy tale. What are the traditional qualities of the fantasy hero/heroine? Are those qualities changing in current fantasy, and if so, for the better or for the worse? Panelists: David Clink, Ed Greenwood, Gabrielle Harbowy, Tamora Pierce, Gregory Wilson
• Panel: Laws of Magic (Sunday 2-3 pm in Salon 243): Magic works in different ways in different settings and series. What magic systems do you find the most interesting? What makes a good magic system and what do people need to keep in mind when creating one.
Panelists: Ed Greenwood, Shawna McCarthy, Derryl Murphy, Jana Paniccia (moderator), Elisabeth Vonarburg
• Tribute to Past Guests of Honour (Sunday 4-5 pm in Ballroom West): Join us to honour the memories of former Ad Astra Guests of Honour who have passed away. We will be honouring Catherine de Camp Crook, George Alec Effinger, Frank Kelly Freas, Phyllis Gotlieb, James P. Hogan, L. Sprague de Camp, and Roger Zelazny. Share memories, stories, and readings. Panelists: Ed Greenwood, David G. Hartwell
• Closing Ceremonies (Sunday 5 pm in Ballroom East)
Ed will also be flitting through various private professional meetings, meals, and parties, so it looks like he'll be his usual busy self at a convention. Toronto-area gamers who don't mind stairs (the larger function rooms of the hotel are a very up-and-down array, on a hillside) should seize this opportunity to meet a LOT of fantasy and sf talent (www.ad-astra.org)

And no, I'm not associated with the convention in any way. Just doing my public reporting thing. I'll try to drop by late on Saturday night, when the costumes come out, the dancing takes place, and the normal clothes come off. My sort of style. Ed deserves a kiss and hug, at the very least.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2011 :  17:09:45  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One
• Panel: What Makes a Hero? (Sunday 1-2 pm in Ballroom East) Scribes should note that Ed and his co-editor (of the forthcoming anthology WHEN THE HERO COMES HOME, which features stories by several Realms aulmnae), Gabrielle, are participating in this one . . .
The hero—or heroine—is a vital part of a fantasy tale. What are the traditional qualities of the fantasy hero/heroine? Are those qualities changing in current fantasy, and if so, for the better or for the worse? Panelists: David Clink, Ed Greenwood, Gabrielle Harbowy, Tamora Pierce, Gregory Wilson
I should probably point out that Gabrielle has mentioned on her Twitter feed that they'll be announcing the full Table of Contents for When the Hero Comes Home over the convention.

I wonder, in the end, just how many Realms folks will be associated with the book... as if I couldn't guess.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2011 :  06:26:46  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
I would LOVE to be there for the "Laws of Magic" discussion. I am currently working on a system for my own setting, and I'm sure I would find that extremely helpful.

Too bad I don't get up to Canada much... I mostly head south these days...

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

uaintjak
Acolyte

14 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2011 :  01:58:09  Show Profile  Visit uaintjak's Homepage Send uaintjak a Private Message
Oh THO, a Knights question if you would indulge me.

Have the Knights of Myth Drannor (pc-controlled and NPCs alike)ever broken ranks to the point where they actually actively opposed one another in some situation or other? Not just the betrayal of Agannor and Bey, but anything else that may have actually caused a split amongst their numbers? And how did it work out?
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2011 :  02:50:52  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message
Have fun at the con, all.
I was wondering Ed, if you had any information on the spy ring- The Ears.
They come from one of the web articles about the gates of Faerun.
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2011 :  06:12:00  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message
I have a question for our esteemed Ed- is there any sort of Underdark equivilent of traveling carnivals or Gypsy bands? If so, what are they like? (I'm, thinking of freak shows, entertainers, perhaps a few trinket-sellers or fortune-tellers and the like.) Can he give details for such a group, and where/how they might "perform"? I've got a group of Eilistraeeans masquerading as such a traveling show, and am anxious for any info on how one would work in Menzoberranzan or some other large Underdark city.

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2011 :  17:46:10  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Hope Ed had a good time at the con - I know anyone who interacted with him surely did.

Question: Was Ed's version of Chauntea male? I've noted a few strange pronouns floating about....

Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2011 :  04:05:10  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
The earliest Ed-penned DRAGON articles that mention Chauntea have her as female, so I think she always was female to Ed.
I just got home from attending Ad Astra. It was great. Highlights for me: the Opening Ceremonies: Ed did an inspirational speech that apparently so impressed the Lieutenant Governor of Ontario, who gave the launching speech, that said L-G asked for a copy of it! . . . . eavesdropping on Ed and Mercedes Lackey and her husband Larry Dixon and Howard Tayler (who does the Shlock M webstrip) all being interviewed by two gorgeous ladies who do a magazine called The Gloaming, over dinner . . . Ed and Dave Duncan and Eric Flint (who all seem to be friends) doing a GoH Q&A panel . . . Ed and his Tor editor, David Hartwell, with three Ad Astra staffers, doing a tearful Tribute panel to past deceased Guests of Honor . . . eavesdropping on Ed and Tanya Huff and Eric Flint drinking at the bar . . . Ed with his co-editor of WHEN THE HERO COMES HOME, Gabrielle Harbowy, flirting outrageously with some other con attendees, at the bar . . . a screamingly funny improv comedy troupe, raising money for the Sunbursts (Ed and Julie Czerneda were passing the hats, and being funnier than the improv actors) . . . a "What Makes a Hero?" panel with Tamora Pierce, Gabrielle, Gregory Wilson, David Clink, and Ed . . . Ed wearing piggy ears and joking with fans at the Triptych novel launch party for first-time novelist JM Frey . . . Ed and Todd McCaffrey talking and hugging in the lobby like two old friends (well, I guess they ARE two old friends!) . . . a mother warning her daughter that "the man with the beard is scribbling in your book, dear!" and the mortified daughter telling her mother that the man with the beard (Ed, of course) had written the book and was autographing it for her and it was just FINE with her if he wrote entire new chapters in it (I think Ed was adding a paragraph of personalized prologue and a little sketch, over his signature, from the peek I got at it) . . . and Ed in the lobby, grandly reassuring some mundanes who'd arrived for a wedding that the various costumed weirdos parading around were "MUCH worse than this, when they haven't had their shots." The con had far fewer actors this year, because it was the 30th anniversary and they invited back all of their former GoHs to celebrate - so a result, there were more big-name sf and fantasy pros then I could count.
On the Saturday night, the parties were loud and long. Too noisy and hot for Ed after about 2 pm, so he strolled outside, where it was COLD. And stayed there for about an hour, just chatting with a gathering crowd of star-struck fans. Friendly, casual, as an equal. I watched him edit a young fan's story for free and suggest where she could submit it, link up some shy aspiring authors with some veteran editors, and breezily introduce a trembling-shy writer to someone he very much wanted to meet.
What a classy guy. I wish there were more Eds.
Oh, and that lineup for WHEN THE HERO COMES HOME? I believe I spotted the names Erik Scott de Bie, Rosemary Jones, and Brian Cortijo on the roster (which was drawn in a wiggly tail outline, and was hard to read). I also saw Jay Lake and Todd McCaffrey on there. Ed also promised me that I'd get a pleasant Realms-related "surprise" when the printed book appeared, related to the foreword. Hmm. (Oh, yes, Ed wrote a story for it, too.)
Someone better than I should post a con report here. I can just sum it up this way: crappy crumbling hotel, fun friendly people, GREAT cozy little con. Amazing array of chances to talk to big names in fantasy and sf: mid-Saturday they had a huge joint hour-and-a-half-long autographing session with EVERYBODY sitting around tables. Ed sat with Howard Tayler and Tony Pi, but I saw him talking with Marie Bilodeau and Guy Gavriel Kay and Adrienne Kress and Todd McCaffrey at various moments during the session.
Right, I'm babbling. I'll stop now. GREAT convention.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2011 :  16:09:43  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
From what little I saw of it, it WAS a great con (I managed to visit only for an hour or so, very late Saturday night/Sunday morning. I echo all the nice things you said about Ed.
And yes, Chauntea always was (and still is) female.
I've checked in with Ed this morning, and discovered he wrote and submitted an sf story to a new venue yesterday. Geez, the man can move when he has to!
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2011 :  16:22:25  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message
Somewhat tangential to the subject, to any other aspiring writer reading this thread, I'd like to recommend the Writing Excuses podcast hosted by Howard Tayler, Dan Wells, and Brandon Sanderson (of Mistborn and Wheel of Time fame), plus the occasional guest star like Tracey Hickman.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2011 :  16:32:31  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message
Just checked out Gabrielle's blog and read the details for When the Hero Comes Home....

What an awesome lineup! And great to see among the line up, our own Brian Cortjio!!

I went to Dragon Moon press's amazon, store to pre-order...but no luck....doesnt seem to be availbel yet.

With Ed, Rosemary, Erik and Brian it is a must have!

P.S.

Blueblade...no worries you kept your babbling to a bare minimum and provided great isight for us here at the 'keep!

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963

Edited by - The Red Walker on 12 Apr 2011 16:52:55
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2011 :  01:15:46  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
@Blueblade - Stalker, much?

{I kid, I kid}

Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2011 :  02:56:55  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Heh. Whenever Ed attends a local convention, you bet. He's just a great guy to spend time hanging out with.
And I live in the Toronto area, where Ed was originally from and that he still lives near to, so when he shows up at cons from, say, Guelph to Cobourg (so, Hamilton, Toronto, Peterborough), I try to get there, too.
The nice thing about our local cons - - except FanExpo the last weekend in August, which is bigger than GenCon - - is that they're small enough that you don't have to line up to get autographs from Ed or anyone, if you play things right, and can usually just walk up and talk to Guests of Honour.
BTW, Ed told me at Ad Astra that this year he'll be at Paizocon in Seattle in June, GenCon as usual first weekend of August, FanExpo 2011 at the Metro Convention Centre in downtown Toronto the last weekend of August . . . and though he didn't mention it, he usually attends Phantasm in Peterborough, which most years is towards the end of September. He used to regularly attend Pentacon in Fort Wayne, but is cutting way back on his out-of-province conventions.
Ed also mentioned an epic fantasy book that he read in galleys and really enjoyed, that was published TODAY. A hardcover from Tor, Volume 1 of The Vault of Heaven, by Peter Orullian: THE UNREMEMBERED.
I'm trying to remember all the things Ed mentioned. We talked a lot about the Realms, of course.
Ah! He mentioned a brand new, Canadian-based online Digital Science Fiction Anthology that he's submitted a story to, for sf (not fantasy) writers. Brand new as in JUST launched. So, aspiring sf writers . . .
Oh, yes. Another Ad Astra moment: some guy dressed as a pirate, who burst into a song from the Pirates of Penzance in the hotel lobby. Ed joined in, in falsetto, singing Buttercup's lines. The guy was startled for a moment and then delighted, and they sang the rest of the duet - - and got applause from the front desk staff of the hotel when they finished. It's amazing to hear an operatic soprano coming out of Ed, with the beard and rotund "manly build" and all.
Sure, I stalk the man. It's great entertainment, and he doesn't mind.

BB
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2011 :  05:16:45  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message
You are SOOO lucky.... I would love to be in your shoes. Can we trade?!

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

gomez
Learned Scribe

Netherlands
254 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2011 :  22:19:44  Show Profile  Visit gomez's Homepage Send gomez a Private Message
I am toying with a drow campaign set in Menzoberranzan (year of the Grinning Halfling), where the PCs are all members of house Faen Tlabbar.
I looked into 'The Drow of the Underdark', and it has a page with House sygils for a whole lot of houses... but no for house Faen Tlabbar.
Is there a description for the sygil of that House?

Other houses with no sygil are Xorlarrin, Mizzrym, and Vandree (I am less likely to need those, but as long as I am asking...).

Gomez
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm
Learned Scribe

242 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2011 :  00:55:19  Show Profile  Visit Malcolm's Homepage Send Malcolm a Private Message
Do you have the Menzo boxed set, gomez? I thought they were all in there.
Go to Top of Page

chamber101
Seeker

57 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2011 :  01:05:48  Show Profile Send chamber101 a Private Message
Hi there, I've asked this question elsewhere and it was suggested I ask your very good self.
Could you tell me your thoughts and ideas regarding what would happen if Shar was destroyed!

Namely; what would happen to her portfolio, the shadowweave, the plane of shadow, her followers and what the other gods' actions might be etc.

I am talking pre SP so 3.5ed 1373DR.
Thanks

Go to Top of Page

Azuth
Senior Scribe

USA
404 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2011 :  02:51:04  Show Profile  Visit Azuth's Homepage Send Azuth a Private Message

Dearest Lady THO,
Would you ask Ed for his brief thoughts on the rationale why a warrior (or anyone else) might choose to venerate Helm versus Tempus or Torm? I have my own thoughts on it, but I'd love to hear from Ed.

Cheers,

Azuth, the First Magister
Lord of All Spells

The greatest expression of creativity is through Art.
Offense can never be given, only taken.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2011 :  04:38:38  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
I will indeed, Azuth, but Ed has been asked this before (not here, but at convention seminars, both at GenCon and elsewhere) within my hearing, and his answer usually runs something like this (I'm selectively quoting Ed here):

To venerate Tempus is to glory in victory, to exult in battle, and to see honour in excelling at the necessity of war (with acceptance of war as necessary).

To venerate Torm is to protect the weak and promote justice and truth and order through armed vigilance, seeing paladinhood as great and chivalry as high, noble, and improving. Civilization is founded, strengthened, and allowed to flourish through just use of military might and lawkeeping.

To venerate Helm is to dedicate oneself to armed guardianship. Life is made better when certain people, places, things, ideas, and ideals are guarded and kept safe, through force of arms and unfailing vigilance. The guardian will pay any price to protect and preserve that which is guarded, because what is deemed precious enough to be guarded must be protected, at all costs.

Or to drop out of Ed-quotation for a moment to interpret, as I've heard Ed do . . .
The worshipper of Tempus believes everything is decided on the battlefield so one should excel at battle, and loves war and excellence in it, somewhat like a rabid sports fan likes or is interested in nigh everything to do with the sport.
Whereas the worshipper of Torm doesn't glory in battle, but sees victory as necessary to preserve law and order, and society and the greater good being served, for the betterment of all, by good and strong laws and stern enforcement of justice.
. . . And the worshipper of Helm doesn't glory in battle or necessarily care much about laws or rules and strict adherence to them, but that certain things should be fought for and defended, at all costs and by all means.
So a Helmite would break a law or rule in an instant to protect what is to be guarded, whereas a Tormite would not, because in breaking the law or rule one becomes a foe who must be fought. Some Temptars/Temprans/Temmurans (all terms have been used, and more, over time and place to place in the Realms) would think it dishonorable to win a battle by trickery, or to poison foes or fell them in created avalanches (whereas a Helmite would do these things if necessary; whatever it took to protect that which is to be protected), and some Temptars/etc. would start a brawl or charge into someone else's fight for the fun of it, whereas a Tormite would see that as lawless hooliganism or the work of a vigilante (= UNAUTHORIZED lawkeeper).
And so on.
Hope this helps.
Ed is hard at work on the next Elminster book, BTW. Fresh from helping rescue someone else's short story after they ended up in hospital and couldn't hit a deadline. Sigh. The man never ceases to make me smile.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Azuth
Senior Scribe

USA
404 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2011 :  05:53:42  Show Profile  Visit Azuth's Homepage Send Azuth a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

I will indeed, Azuth, but Ed has been asked this before (not here, but at convention seminars, both at GenCon and elsewhere) within my hearing, and his answer usually runs something like this (I'm selectively quoting Ed here):

To venerate Tempus is to glory in victory, to exult in battle, and to see honour in excelling at the necessity of war (with acceptance of war as necessary).

To venerate Torm is to protect the weak and promote justice and truth and order through armed vigilance, seeing paladinhood as great and chivalry as high, noble, and improving. Civilization is founded, strengthened, and allowed to flourish through just use of military might and lawkeeping.

To venerate Helm is to dedicate oneself to armed guardianship. Life is made better when certain people, places, things, ideas, and ideals are guarded and kept safe, through force of arms and unfailing vigilance. The guardian will pay any price to protect and preserve that which is guarded, because what is deemed precious enough to be guarded must be protected, at all costs.

Or to drop out of Ed-quotation for a moment to interpret, as I've heard Ed do . . .
The worshipper of Tempus believes everything is decided on the battlefield so one should excel at battle, and loves war and excellence in it, somewhat like a rabid sports fan likes or is interested in nigh everything to do with the sport.
Whereas the worshipper of Torm doesn't glory in battle, but sees victory as necessary to preserve law and order, and society and the greater good being served, for the betterment of all, by good and strong laws and stern enforcement of justice.
. . . And the worshipper of Helm doesn't glory in battle or necessarily care much about laws or rules and strict adherence to them, but that certain things should be fought for and defended, at all costs and by all means.
So a Helmite would break a law or rule in an instant to protect what is to be guarded, whereas a Tormite would not, because in breaking the law or rule one becomes a foe who must be fought. Some Temptars/Temprans/Temmurans (all terms have been used, and more, over time and place to place in the Realms) would think it dishonorable to win a battle by trickery, or to poison foes or fell them in created avalanches (whereas a Helmite would do these things if necessary; whatever it took to protect that which is to be protected), and some Temptars/etc. would start a brawl or charge into someone else's fight for the fun of it, whereas a Tormite would see that as lawless hooliganism or the work of a vigilante (= UNAUTHORIZED lawkeeper).
And so on.
Hope this helps.
Ed is hard at work on the next Elminster book, BTW. Fresh from helping rescue someone else's short story after they ended up in hospital and couldn't hit a deadline. Sigh. The man never ceases to make me smile.
love,
THO

Thank you, honored and Chosen Lady of the Hood, for the marvelous and quick reply. Should Ed add to it, I welcome the lore, but your answer very much aligns with my notions on why he created the different powers, and the aspects of the Balance that each serve. We were having a discussion on this topic upon another scroll, and I felt uncomfortable commenting on [i]why/i] Ed created Helm without verifying my beliefs.

I add one question, and apologize if the lore already exists buy my skills in searching are lacking (I never claimed to be Oghma!) but has Ed previously created any type of guide to his Realms-specific curse words that he uses in his later books? Sometimes I think I know which word in English approximates the "colorful metaphor" he is attempting to convey, but a semi-official cross-reference would be most appreciated.

Lady, thee doth charm this Magister of the First with thy kindness beyond ways possible through mine Art.

Azuth, the First Magister
Lord of All Spells

The greatest expression of creativity is through Art.
Offense can never be given, only taken.
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2011 :  13:21:25  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message
Questions for Great Greenwood:

If you had the chance to write another Volo's Guide back in the day, which area would have been next?
If you were given the chance to write one Post-Spellplague (or a similar tome in the same format, assuming Volo is dead), and you only got to do one, which area would you write the guide about?
Same situation, but if it was up to Volo, which region would HE do??

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2011 :  13:39:57  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message
I bet Volo's still pining over not being able to do Volo's Guide to Menzoberranzan...

(For that matter, so am I!)

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Elfinblade
Senior Scribe

Norway
377 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2011 :  13:52:50  Show Profile Send Elfinblade a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Hoondatha

I bet Volo's still pining over not being able to do Volo's Guide to Menzoberranzan...

Volo's Guide to The Border Kingdoms is what i would have craved
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2011 :  14:37:11  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message
quote:

Same here.

Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2011 :  15:19:32  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Alisttair

quote:

Same here.

And here.

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2011 :  15:31:47  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Elfinblade

quote:

I've got the next best thing... a compiled file of practically everything published on the Border Kingdoms, as it's one of my favourite areas of the Realms.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 15 Apr 2011 15:32:37
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2011 :  15:42:04  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
Originally posted by Elfinblade

quote:

I've got the next best thing... a compiled file of practically everything published on the Border Kingdoms, as it's one of my favourite areas of the Realms.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 60 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000