Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2011)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 71

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31689 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2011 :  02:39:54  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message
You know, I can't believe that I forgot about this cool piece of Ed-lore.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
778 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2011 :  03:52:23  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message
I printed that Ed lore out.
Go to Top of Page

Azuth
Senior Scribe

USA
402 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2011 :  05:22:50  Show Profile  Visit Azuth's Homepage Send Azuth a Private Message

A fantastic bit of lore, and I'm surprised it didn't show up when I searched on the topic of "wild magic" previously. I'd add one question to this that I've never truly understood and that's been brought to the fore again by Ed's comments:

If all of the Chosen can work together to reduce or destroy wild magic areas or dead magic zones, what would prohibit Mystra herself from doing so? (Pre-Spellplague) I could understand allowing wild magic to persist as it's a different manifestation of Art with new uses and creations in magic, thus part of Mystra's portfolio of tasks as goddess of magic, but I would think Mystra would devote a great deal of energy to "reparing" dead-magic zones. I would suspect Azuth to have a similar goal as his responsibilities as Lord of Spells and mages would compel him to aid his worshippers by removing areas in which his followers would be weakened.

I seem to recall that a greater Wish spell had some effect on dead magic zones, although my memory fails me late at night. Ed's insight into this would be greatly appreciated as I'm working on my next campaign and I have a PC who is very much interested in playing a Wild Mage.

May your spells go off exactly as planned.

As for Mystra: The ‘old’ Mystra (LN) was less than pleased with this road of dweomercraeft because of the damage wild mages can do to fellow spellcasters, the Weave, and most importantly to the reputation of arcane spellcasters with others (and therefore, the general attitude [fear] of most intelligent beings of Faerun towards magic and its use).

The ‘new’ Mystra, however, was more than a bit of a rebel as a young mortal woman. Like the keeper of a china shop glumly observing an approaching bull, she’s against wantonly destructive uses of magic, and her alignment gives her a distaste not just for destructive magic but also for deliberately cruel uses of magic. However, Mystra has seen much reckless use of magic by divine spellcasters serving other deities and by selfish mages of various stripes, noted that many of these uses have been both effective and have garnered much respect among the wider populace, and more or less shrugged.

She may be ‘waiting and seeing,’ and she (or Azuth) may well send some of their powerful servants (including Chosen) to curb individual wild mages who seem to turn wholly insane or who “throw their weight around too much.” For now, however, the rare wild mages in the Realms seem free to follow the path they’ve chosen.

So saith Ed. Who seems to never be anything else but busy busy busy, these days.
love to all,
THO
[/quote]

Azuth, the First Magister
Lord of All Spells

The greatest expression of creativity is through Art.
Offense can never be given, only taken.
Go to Top of Page

_Jarlaxle_
Senior Scribe

Germany
542 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2011 :  16:30:42  Show Profile Send _Jarlaxle_ a Private Message
After not getting any response at all to my question about Ioulaum, I made a search in the older threads and noticed that Ed never seemed to have answered a question about him.
I'm woundering why? Is he so NDA'ed that its even NDA'ed to say that the answer would fall under an NDA? *scratches his head*
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3524 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2011 :  17:40:26  Show Profile  Send The Red Walker a Yahoo! Message Send The Red Walker a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by _Jarlaxle_

After not getting any response at all to my question about Ioulaum, I made a search in the older threads and noticed that Ed never seemed to have answered a question about him.
I'm woundering why? Is he so NDA'ed that its even NDA'ed to say that the answer would fall under an NDA? *scratches his head*

I could answer that, but it's NDA.

Seriously, from what I read your not far off, there's just not anything that can be shared at this time.

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5037 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2011 :  18:23:41  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
I can confirm that there are overlapping NDAs pertaining to Ioulaum (among other things). So, yes, he's deeply NDA'd at this time.
love,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 09 Mar 2011 18:24:01
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2011 :  18:32:43  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage  Click to see Alisttair's MSN Messenger address Send Alisttair a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

I can confirm that there are overlapping NDAs pertaining to Ioulaum (among other things). So, yes, he's deeply NDA'd at this time.
love,
THO

That either sucks big time (if its an old NDA) or splendid news meaning we can expect some netherese goodness (I hope).

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3524 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2011 :  01:30:02  Show Profile  Send The Red Walker a Yahoo! Message Send The Red Walker a Private Message
THO,

In planning a real world project, I was reminded of Ed's huge level of detail in his work. We're planning(very early stages) a home in a heavily wooded area. Was curious to know if Ed had and sketches of smaller (very small ) estates or hunting lodges that might be found In the forest kingdom? Especially interested in rooflines, windows, woodwork/trim, library rooms, portals and entrys.

Is that a lot to ask? I know it is but, I can't help myself!

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963

Edited by - The Red Walker on 10 Mar 2011 01:31:32
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
3338 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2011 :  04:25:56  Show Profile  Visit Dalor Darden's Homepage Send Dalor Darden a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Hi again, all.
Dalor, re. this: "I'd be interested to hear from Ed/THO about whether there have historically been many clans of dwarves who lived in what seemed to be mineral poor areas...but in truth they hid riches from others while seeming to eke out a meager living."
I know from Realmsplay years back with Ed, that this happens. Quite often.
One instance: In elder days on the southeastern edge of Anauria, a small dwarf clan dwelt in a small peak known as "the Hollow Mountain." They told humans they lived there because it was sacred to the founding of their clan (mortal dwarves meeting dwarven deities in a cavern at its heart). That may or may not have been true, but MOST of the clan had moved there less than sixty years before, to begin hollowing out the mountain in earnest, because it was a working mine with rich veins of ore (nickel and iron, I seem to recall, but my the second sheet of my notes seems to have wandered, so I can't be certain).
Ed will, of course, provide more in the fullness of time . . .
love,
THO

As always, a pleasure hearing even the slightest lore from you! Many thanks!

Visit my Blog Page to find things for YOUR Forgotten Realms!
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2011 :  04:44:18  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Red Walker,
I had the pleasure of sitting with Ed at a convention some years back (The Great Canadian Baycon, in Hamilton, Ontario) and talking about his cottage, in Muskoka, Ontario. Both it and his house east of Cobourg, Ontario have lots of trees around them.
Ed bought both of them, has expanded the house for his books, but (at the time we talked, anyway) has only had enough money to do maintenance on the cottage (new roof, etc.), not really change it.
However, Ed did mention a library book to me that he LOVED. He described it as a "hippie book" and its title was something like:
HANDMADE HOUSES/A Guide To the Woodbutcher's Art
or perhaps:
HANDMADE HOUSES/A Woodbutcher's Almanac (though I think I was closer to right the first time).
A slender white covered hardback crammed with photos, prolly published in the early 1970s.
I'm posting this because Ed said it was chock-full of what, to him, were photos of "dream" handbuilt homes, almost all of them in forests in North America.
(Caution: I have never seen this book. Ed did tell me all about the library interloan, or "interlibrary loan" system at the same time, as a way to temporarily examine the book.)
I'm guessing Ed does have drawings of his own, but I won't be surprised at all if he can't find them.
BB
Go to Top of Page

Azuth
Senior Scribe

USA
402 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2011 :  05:41:09  Show Profile  Visit Azuth's Homepage Send Azuth a Private Message

Ed/THO,
Was there any progress on gunpowder-based arms during/after the Spellplague? I never much liked them, and found the concept to be irrelevant in a word of magic, but I can see how they might be more readily developed when Art was unstable. I'm not sure what influence Gond (or his absence) would have on this, either, so any comments would be most appreciated.

Cheers,

Lord of All Spells

Go to Top of Page

_Jarlaxle_
Senior Scribe

Germany
542 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2011 :  09:43:03  Show Profile Send _Jarlaxle_ a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Alisttair

That either sucks big time (if its an old NDA) or splendid news meaning we can expect some netherese goodness (I hope).

Since its such a long time I fear its the first option
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5037 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2011 :  15:07:03  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
To The Red Walker: Blueblade is, as far as I know, exactly right in all he posted. Both Ed's house and cottage (which is actually two cottages, a boathouse, a toolshed, a derelict sleeping "bunkie" and outhouse and pump shelter) are closely surrounded by trees - - and I remember that book!
Ed DOES have a floorplan and sketch of one hunting lodge (remember the scenes near the end of the Knights trilogy book involving a certain noble-owned lodge, in the King's Forest?). I suspect Blueblade is right about his not being able to find it, because some of the rooms in Ed's house are in upheaval right now.
However, I can recall many descriptions of various lodges in the King's Forest, from years of Realmsplay. Most are akin to American "log cabins" but with stone fireplace/chimney "end walls" and flagstone floors (remember, we're talking royalty and nobility as builder/owners, here). They have shake roofs, VERY steeply pitched to shed snowloads, with the interiors of the peaks left "open" as attics crisscrossed with beams (like modern roof trusses, but of course "tall" rather than squatty, and jointed with dovetails and "socket" joints, rather than weird little pierced metal sheet fasteners), the beams being used to hang bedding and carpeting (which are made with heavy-duty knitted loops for hanging hooks at both ends) when the lodges aren't in use.
When servants arrive at a lodge, their first duty is to build and light fires (in ovens only, in summer; most lodges have outside ovens as well as inside ones; the outside ones get used almost exclusively in summer, to keep the lodges cool). Their second is to get soup and other hot drinkables going, and heat bread on metal sheets close to the ovens . . . and their third is to fetch down the hanging bedding and carpets, and put them where they're supposed to be.
That's all I can find from my notes, quickly. I do recall rainwater cisterns on the roofs of some lodges, screened and peak-roofed to keep birds from nesting and critters out, and an assassin who once poisoned most of a nobles' retinue by tainting the cistern-water (it got used in laundry and in washing the kitchen pots and dining-platters, and got to them that way, rather than directly through the food and drink).

So saith Ed, filtered through me. More from him directly in the fullness of time, of course.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Bakra
Senior Scribe

617 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2011 :  19:24:00  Show Profile Send Bakra a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Blueblade

Red Walker,
I had the pleasure of sitting with Ed at a convention some years back (The Great Canadian Baycon, in Hamilton, Ontario) and talking about his cottage, in Muskoka, Ontario. Both it and his house east of Cobourg, Ontario have lots of trees around them.
Ed bought both of them, has expanded the house for his books, but (at the time we talked, anyway) has only had enough money to do maintenance on the cottage (new roof, etc.), not really change it.
However, Ed did mention a library book to me that he LOVED. He described it as a "hippie book" and its title was something like:
HANDMADE HOUSES/A Guide To the Woodbutcher's Art
or perhaps:
HANDMADE HOUSES/A Woodbutcher's Almanac (though I think I was closer to right the first time).
A slender white covered hardback crammed with photos, prolly published in the early 1970s.
I'm posting this because Ed said it was chock-full of what, to him, were photos of "dream" handbuilt homes, almost all of them in forests in North America.
(Caution: I have never seen this book. Ed did tell me all about the library interloan, or "interlibrary loan" system at the same time, as a way to temporarily examine the book.)
I'm guessing Ed does have drawings of his own, but I won't be surprised at all if he can't find them.
BB

For those who are interested I Found the record in Worldcat:

Handmade Houses: a guide to the woodbutcher's art by Art Boericke & Barry Shapiro.
San Francisco, Scrimshaw Press, 1973.
95 p. col. illus. 25 cm.
Isbn: 0912020008

I hope Candlekeep continues to be the friendly forum of fellow Realms-lovers that it has always been, as we all go through this together. If you don’t want to move to the “new” Realms, that doesn’t mean there’s anything wrong with either you or the “old” Realms. Goodness knows Candlekeep, and the hearts of its scribes, are both big enough to accommodate both. If we want them to be.
(Strikes dramatic pose, raises sword to gleam in the sunset, and hopes breeches won’t fall down.)
Enough for now. The Realms lives! I have spoken! Ale and light wines half price, served by a smiling Storm Silverhand fetchingly clad in thigh-high boots and naught else! Ahem . .
So saith Ed. <snip>
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Aryalómë
Senior Scribe

USA
666 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2011 :  02:33:16  Show Profile Send Aryalómë a Private Message
To Ed and THO:
I am having trouble playing my Crone of Kiaransalee in 4e Realms. Namely, because the goddess's name was wiped from everyone's mind. How does a deity die from lack of worship anway? A significant power reduction and a descent through the deity ranks seems fine.
Also, why were Hanali Celanil, Aerdrie Faenya, and Sehanine Moonbow turned into aspects of other gods? To me it seems like a cop-out from WotC so that they don't t do a little more work explaining the Fey pantheon, as well as the destruction of the Seldarine itself (and the Dark Seldarine with the very un-needed deaths of Kiaransalee, Eilistraee, and Vhaeraun)!!
One more thing, why do Star Elves have so many NDAs surrounding them? Will many of them be removed soon?
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31689 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2011 :  02:42:45  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by tradwitch1313

To Ed and THO:
I am having trouble playing my Crone of Kiaransalee in 4e Realms. Namely, because the goddess's name was wiped from everyone's mind. How does a deity die from lack of worship anway? A significant power reduction and a descent through the deity ranks seems fine.
Ed's previously tackled this topic before. See below:-

"January 25, 2005: Hello, all. Ed answers Elf_Friend:

Regarding dead gods: mortals of Faerûn don’t know the true “current body count,” or where the residue of the divine essence of a dead god lies.

In part, this is because it’s very hard for a god to truly die unless very carefully destroyed by another god: otherwise, if some mortal of Faerûn still worships them or discovers them and starts worshipping them, later (even centuries later), they ‘rise’ again, albeit as almost powerless ghostly awarenesses (at their weakest).

The arguments among churches (about what god did what to which other god) confuse the average inhabitant of the Realms (who to believe?), but I’d say that among humans, most are aware that Bhaal, Iyachtu Xvim, Leira, and Myrkul are ‘dead.’ Only sages and some priests and wizards have even heard of, say, Karsus, and most folk accept that there are countless ‘godlings’ worshipped by various ‘cultists’ here and there across the Realms (from Savras and other half-remembered names to the beast-cults to “those dangerous folk who worship the skeletons of DRAGONS if ye can believe it, aye?”).

So some of them are dead and gone ‘forever’ (although one can then debate just how long ‘forever’ is, of course :}), but most are, as you say, “just dead, ready to be revived thru some epic act or worship.”

So saith Ed, Creator and Supreme Loremaster of the Realms. Also Champion Belcher of Colborne, I trow.

love to all,
THO"

Also:-

"So there’s constant worship going on for almost every divine being, rumored-to-be-divine being, half-forgotten and misremembered godlings... and even slain divine beings linger on as demigods or divine sparks that can “come back” if the right conditions occur. It’s hard to fall from the ranks of demigodhood, once attained: one simply becomes a weaker demigod. Mortals in the Realms are always whispering prayers to “forgotten” gods, in hopes that the grateful deity will give them a lot of aid, swiftly, either out of eagerness to have a new mortal worshipper to command, or simply because they hear and heed the prayer (where a more popular deity may miss or have scant regard for that one prayer, amid the deafening chorus of so many)."
quote:
Also, why were Hanali Celanil, Aerdrie Faenya, and Sehanine Moonbow turned into aspects of other gods? To me it seems like a cop-out from WotC so that they don't t do a little more work explaining the Fey pantheon, as well as the destruction of the Seldarine itself (and the Dark Seldarine with the very un-needed deaths of Kiaransalee, Eilistraee, and Vhaeraun)!!
One more thing, why do Star Elves have so many NDAs surrounding them? Will many of them be removed soon?

While I'm sure Ed will have something to add, it's worth noting that he really hasn't been all that involved in these types of decisions when it comes to the 4e Realms. You're more likely to gain information about this, from the actual 4e FR designers. Try the Wizards.com boards, for example.

Go to Top of Page

Aryalómë
Senior Scribe

USA
666 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2011 :  03:10:40  Show Profile Send Aryalómë a Private Message
The thong is that her name was wiped clean from everyone's memory.....even her's. Do you think her name could be written down somewhere? It never said that it was completel destroyed... But wait, would she even recognize her own name?
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31689 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2011 :  04:51:25  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

The thong is that her name was wiped clean from everyone's memory.....even her's. Do you think her name could be written down somewhere? It never said that it was completel destroyed... But wait, would she even recognize her own name?

I assume that would fall under Ed's category of "half-forgotten and misremembered godlings."

After all, Kiaransalee's name must be recorded somewhere in the multiverse... and with that name, comes the attached memory of who she was and what she was about. As such, divine echoes of Kiaransalee's memory and power likely float upon the ethers of reality -- just waiting for a fallen worshipper or curious mortal to take up her banner once again. And with that, comes a restoration... of sorts.

Edited by - The Sage on 11 Mar 2011 04:52:35
Go to Top of Page

Azuth
Senior Scribe

USA
402 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2011 :  05:04:29  Show Profile  Visit Azuth's Homepage Send Azuth a Private Message

I was wondering if Ed could detail (in general terms) his involvement with the decision that founded the 2E rule that a god's power was directly tied to his or her level of worship? Where that seems to intersect with previous comments is Ed's statement that mortal's can't really know what's going on with deities, but even if Mystra is killed, wouldn't all of the mortals continuing to worship her...resurrect her in a sense? I'm starting to see small ways in which I can merge the 4E world into mine, although I have no intention of fast-forwarding nearly a century. Thanks to Amazon.com, new players can continue to get the 3E books (and even the 2E) so this is an intellectual request only. Again, I wouldn't be surprised in an NDA popped up to prohibit a clear answer to this question, so a vague answer (if possible) is appreciated.

Happy castings, all.

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage
I assume that would fall under Ed's category of "half-forgotten and misremembered godlings."

After all, Kiaransalee's name must be recorded somewhere in the multiverse... and with that name, comes the attached memory of who she was and what she was about. As such, divine echoes of Kiaransalee's memory and power likely float upon the ethers of reality -- just waiting for a fallen worshipper or curious mortal to take up her banner once again. And with that, comes a restoration... of sorts.

Lord of All Spells

Go to Top of Page

Tyrant
Senior Scribe

USA
586 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2011 :  05:53:46  Show Profile  Visit Tyrant's Homepage Send Tyrant a Private Message
I started a thread elsewhere asking various lich based questions and I had one in particular that Sage advised I should seek an answer to from Ed. So, here goes. Ed, THO, any answers or insight would be greatly appreciated.

Here's a direct cut and paste:
"I get the impression that in most cases the person (or creature) in question needs to want to become a lich for it to work (unless I am misunderstanding). So, how often does it happen unbeknownst (that it is happening when it happens) to the person in question or how often does it happen against someone's will? I know it happens to a woman in The Pirate King and I'm curious if it's a common occurance."

Basically can someone be made into a lich against their will or without their consent at least, and if so does it happen very often?
Are there any other examples from the Realms aside from the one in the Pirate King of this happening?

Also, are there any Bard Liches (or is it Lich Bards?) in the Realms and are there any Psionic Liches in the Realms?

Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me.
-The Sith Code

Teenage Sith zombies, Tulkh thought-how in the moons of Bogden had it all started? Every so often, the universe must just get bored and decide to really cut loose. -Star Wars: Red Harvest
Go to Top of Page

gomez
Learned Scribe

Netherlands
254 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2011 :  07:36:04  Show Profile  Visit gomez's Homepage Send gomez a Private Message
quote:

Go to http://www.livingforgottenrealms.com/ and download CORE2-12 The Sschindylryn Heresy.

It's not exactly canon, but it may answer your question anyway.

Gomez,
who is also interested what Ed and THO think of the story therein, and invites them to peruse and quote as desired... :P
Go to Top of Page

Eldacar
Learned Scribe

254 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2011 :  09:13:54  Show Profile  Visit Eldacar's Homepage  Click to see Eldacar's MSN Messenger address Send Eldacar a Private Message
A brief question in the vein of gods, though on a different tangent:

During the Time of Troubles, when the gods fell, where exactly did Tyr fall, and what sort of activities did he engage in? He doesn't seem to be the sort of deity who would hide quietly in some out of the way place (even though he lost his eyes), but I can't find anything detailing any crusades he might have led (or at least taken part in) or city that he could have fallen to. I also initially thought that he might have fallen to land in a center of worship towards him, but since Mystra didn't crash land in Halruaa, this probably isn't the case either (and I'm not even sure where the largest centre of worship for Tyr is in the first place).

I've searched through the sourcebooks I have (the ones that I think would deal with it, anyway) as well as punched up more than a few Google searches (many of which, amusingly, led me right back here, though to unrelated threads). Is Ed able to shed any light on his doings and whereabouts during the ToT?

"It always ends. That's what gives it value." ~Death of the Endless
Go to Top of Page

Aryalómë
Senior Scribe

USA
666 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2011 :  11:53:24  Show Profile Send Aryalómë a Private Message
I'd also like to know what happened with the Seldarine during the ToT. Please don't let my original question get drowned out please. I'd really like to know what Ed has to say about it.
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2393 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2011 :  13:46:35  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message
Be patient, TW. Ed answers all that he can, in the fullness of time. But he also has questions dating back to 2004 that are still waiting. So just be patient, and lore will come when it comes.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
13818 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2011 :  20:57:05  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
First, some commentary.

I think (as in, my own personal opinions about how these things work) is that a deity's power is solely dependent upon their worshipers. Somehow, the 'gods' of Faerûn had convinced ALL mortals of certain things concerning 'things cosmic' - most likely through the dogma of their various churches. This created an artificial 'default' system of power going directly to the deity associated with a certain portfolio, simply because mortals thought it worked precisely that way. Mortal belief is a powerful thing.

Ao put an end to that 'lazy' system the gods had established, and forced them to go back to how it was supposed to work - deities are supposed to interact with their faithful in order to gain energy from them.

God's can be forgotten, but can never truly die - some vestige always remains, which can be re-awakened by someone finding information on the deity (and then worshiping it), even if it is just a name. It takes a certain amount of 'power', with MANY variables (not just hard numbers - the fervor of the worship is at least as important, amongst other things) to re-awaken a 'sleeping god'.

By the same token, ALL deities (but not all Gods) only have power within spheres (worlds, planes, etc) that they recieve worship, so any edicts they send forth (or spells/rituals they perform, or anything else they do) will only have power within a place that the deity itself is known (and receives attention).

What that means is that ANY mention of Kiaransalee's name that exists in a sphere where Lolth holds NO power, her name still exists in those texts. Those world's would be far-and-few-between, buuuuut... there is one canon one that is ideal for her 'rediscovery'; her homeworld of Threnody - no-one is alive there anymore, which means NO divine being holds sway in that 'dead sphere'. Her name should still exists in tomes there (although I imagine Lolth thought of that, and sent a few hundred Yochlols to destroy all the libraries on Threnody... but they could have easily missed one).

Now, my question, which I thought of because of another thread:

Ed, given that the entire concept of 'homosexuality' is practically non-existent in the Realms, in that it is common enough that it is not frowned upon in most places, and applying the aspect of cross-breeding that the Realms (and every other D&D setting) is filled with, How common are cross-racial gay couples? Would something like that be frowned upon, even in the extremely 'liberal' Realms?

As 'icky' as a human male and female halfling couple may seem, it goes to whole 'nother level of 'icky' when you consider a male human and male halfling (not because of the gay issue, but rather because of the inferred pedophilia such a relationship would bring to mind).

You've touched upon the subject (in regards to humans) several times in the past, and with elves such things should be even more acceptable (after all, if you live for a thousand years, you'd be willing to try anything once), but what about other races? How prevalent is 'being gay' amongst other demi-humans? What about Orcs and Goblinoids? Is this frowned upon in those societies? Has this subject come up in your own home-games?

Any commentary on this subject would be most welcome (except maybe giants... I don't want to picture that...)

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 11 Mar 2011 20:57:33
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 71 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000