Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2011)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 60

Jakuta Khan
Senior Scribe

496 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2011 :  14:32:32  Show Profile Send Jakuta Khan a Private Message
@ashe:

thanks for this, had not seen this particular information - as the scrolls of ed are quite... Huge?

thanks for the reply anyway.

Regards
Jakuta Khan
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2011 :  14:54:13  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

quote:
Originally posted by Jakuta Khan

@THO / ED

I have posted a quite long question or series of them several days ago.

Please apologize my lack of patience, but I would like to kindly ask if I can expect an answer or more likely not.

I could understand that the issue might even be a bit annoying...... but this is keeping my head busy for quite a while now.

If this is not going to be answered - no bad feelings from my side at all, since I can see on a daily base how busy just this one thread is.

I am looking forward to a short reply.

Kindly
Jakuta Khan

As has been discussed before, Ed has questions going back to 2004. But he does have them and will get to an answer. It just may not be immediate.

Indeed. And just to elaborate a little further:-
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Ed's technique of answering questions doesn't follow any kind of specific pattern. Nor does he forget previously asked questions from the past few days, to the past few years. The ever-vigilant Lady Herald of Realmslore -- The Hooded One -- provides a listing of questions asked and [undoubtedly] questions answered. So please, remain patient. Both Ed and the Lady Herald will get to your query in time.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2011 :  15:06:04  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Jakuta Khan, as has just been pointed out, sometimes Ed takes literally years to answer questions, as explained many times before. He tries to be quick when he can, BUT (and so on)...
However, as it happens, you are in luck! I just received an e-mail from Ed that contained answers to your queries:

1. Would it be too wrong to have the thought of a wide-spanning secretive network of the Hobgoblins of Faerun, exchanging information etc. and plotting for THEIR goals on the strategic point of view?

Ed: Yes and no.
No, it’s wrong to think of the hobgoblin race as monolithic. Just as it’s HIGHLY unlikely you’d ever get all real-world humans to agree to work together for the same goals and in the same manner, accepting the same command hierarchy, it’s darned near impossible to get even the great majority of hobgoblins to work closely together (even with the cajoling of their priests purporting to speak the intent of deities). They’re just too competitive/distrustful, in the broadest sense of those words.
However, yes also. By which I mean the wisest, most veteran “operatives” among hobgoblins, those interested in long-term achievements and macropolitics (I’m using real-world terms here, no words or phrases ever known in the Realms), do exchange information and provide covert aid (hiding individuals on the run, providing shelter and medical care and food to hobgoblin individuals or small groups of hobgoblins [though these intruders will be constantly watched, both openly and spied upon by a second set of observers, working from a distance and/or in hiding] with others of their species. The thought is that whatever strengthens/aids hobgoblins is good/desirable, and whatever can be done against foes/obstacles of hobgoblins, without rousing foes and neutrals to action against hobgoblins, should be done.

. . . and in more detail:

a.) i.e. Hobgoblins being responsible for the huge amount of troops mobilized by the Sythilisian empire, also organizing much of the logistics etc. necessary to maintain and train a host of over 65.000 fighting individuals - and more important, stay undiscovered.

Ed: Consider that to be the work of one hobgoblin tribe, plus hobgoblin allies, who saw personal gain in the rise of that empire (wealth, food, weapons, wagons, etc. could somehow end up in their personal possession, sent off on “missions” and “lost in battle”), and a greater gain in human dominance of the Sword Coast being lessened by “giving the rest of us a lasting claw-hold.”
Yet they feared an alliance of human realms, like the one Azoun led to fight the Horde, coming together to obliberate the “monster empire” if it grew too large and powerful too fast, and considered that if such an alliance formed, the empire would be defeated and ALL monsters would be “scoured” (hunted to extinction, wherever found) up and down the Sword Coast lands. They did NOT want a general attitude to spread among humans, whatever happened, of “Watch those hobgoblins! They’re not just big orcs, they’re real trouble! They were behind it all - - hrast, they’re probably behind all the orc hordes, too! So if we hunt down every last one, we’ll be a lot better off! Let’s start that hunt NOW!”
That, plus pride in being able to accomplish what they did with as low a profile as possible (which again, made the stealing of material easier), plus an ingrained instinct of preferring to work covertly, all contributed to working behind the scenes. After all, they see humans do this successfully all the time - - and watch those who become “too loud and too proud” get dragged down by angered fellow humans.

b.) that eventually in more regions ever heard of ( orsraun mts., stonelands, copper mts. etc. ) these either local or interlinked "kingdoms" of the hobgoblins do exist for very long time periods already, but going completely unnoticed by the "civilized" races?

Ed: Oh, yes. Here’s the thing: humans think of a kingdom as a patrolled, usually settled territory with borders and fortresses and law enforcement. Hobgoblins are wandering hunter/gatherers who are habitually on the move, either in warbands patrolling an area or tribes moving from stronghold to stronghold and following wild animal migrations. Hobgoblin “kingdoms” don’t appear on maps, they don’t build roads or formal borders, and hobgoblins pride themselves on “lurking among” others. Hobgoblins know which hobgoblin tribes dominate which areas, and erect boundary “markers” (usually gruesomely-displayed corpses, with markings) to warn each other to stay away from “protected areas,” but aside from cavern-labyrinth warren strongholds (and sometimes captured/occupied former giant or human castles), hobgoblin realms don’t “look like” human territories - - so the two can overlap, often without (most local) humans really being aware of it. So yes, there are hobgoblin holdings all over Faerûn. They are less numerous and more disciplined than orcs or goblins, and thus their powerful local presence is more likely to go unnoticed for longer (whereas orcs raid in force, and pillage and burn, and can’t be ignored).

Or would it even be possible, that the hobgoblins are responsible for the fact, that the standard evil wizard or madman, or even the Zhents, etc. can almost always recruit humanoids in such vast numbers without any problems? Like the hobgoblins directly or indirectly manipulating tribes, chieftains or even subjugated versions of them into joining the ranks of these armies? - like the one gathered to destroy Evereska just after the return of the Shades??

Ed: SOME hobgoblins operate this way, and it’s far more accurate to say that they are PARTIALLY responsible. Yes, hobgoblins usually manipulate, coerce, and even breed goblins and orcs “like cattle” when they want to. However, it’s a lot of work (like, say, you suddenly acquiring several hundred pets), and so is done only for a clear purpose (except on an individual level, where one to three hobgoblins try or enjoy dominating a dozen or less orcs or hobgoblins as their servants/slaves/”gang” . . . which goes on everywhere, all the time).

these options would all suit the basic approach and descriptions you made in July last year.
And, if only one of them would be true, is there any more information on WHAT could be the long-term goal for hobgoblins to be achieved? Or HAVE they actually already achieved what they want, and are just maintaining it?

Ed: Most hobgoblins have achieved what they want: to live more or less as they please among or around humans without being bothered overmuch.
Eliminating the human realms would be difficult and very costly (possibly costing most hobgoblins their lives), and would destroy the bounty of agricultural food, wealth, wares, and so on that “comes free” with the presence of a human kingdom, to a good (disciplined, discerning) raider. Hobgoblins take what they need, and worry about taking extra only after that; some of them can be VERY patient and long-seeing (which is what makes them such formidable foes).
However, there are a FEW hobgoblin individuals who want more, and are slowly, carefully (not getting caught at this is paramount) working towards those goals - - which DO include a lessening of human power and numbers (spreading diseases might be best, some hobgoblins are thinking, but they fear widespread diseases might eventually start claiming hobgoblins) and control or decimation of other races seeking to rise into the power vacuum thus created (and guess who most hobgoblins fear most? Halflings, that’s who!). Some hobgoblins are adventuring (or manipulating/hiring human adventurers to do this for them) to try to find possibly-mythical magical items and processes that will enable hobgoblins to control dragons (as steeds, weapons of war, and guardians).
Remember, I’m speaking here in very general terms, because when it comes down to individuals and specific locales, hobgoblins are as varied as humans in opinions, approaches, aims, and prejudices. Hope this is of help!

So saith Ed. Who DOES come through with the Realmslore we all hunger for, in the fullness of time. See?
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Jakuta Khan
Senior Scribe

496 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2011 :  15:51:42  Show Profile Send Jakuta Khan a Private Message
feeling rather ashamed now, but hey this is murphy's law...

bet if I had not posted the last impatient post, it would not been the next answered question - not by any purpose or so, just for the above mentioned law.

do a mistake, and it gets slapped right in your face immediately.

nevertheless thanks THO / ED for this more than detailed answer, although it opens up many others ;)

for the future I have understood the procedure,thanks again.

Kind regards
Jakuta Khan, the impatient one.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2011 :  17:21:42  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
No problem at all, Jakuta Khan - - and please don't feel ashamed, or constrained to ask followups or any other questions, for that matter; Ed will answer when he can, even if it's (sometimes) just to tell you that NDAs prevent him from answering...
It's all Realms, and it's all good.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Portella
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
247 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2011 :  18:58:48  Show Profile  Visit Portella's Homepage Send Portella a Private Message
Wow just seen the replies to my questions thank you the hooded one for relaying my questions to Ed, how cool it is good to see the names and types of food, plus I didnt know that as part of El's work is to seed the realms with magic be it scroll, magic items or help the further advancement of the art by saving ppl etc. I would loveto be a child in game and follow El'minster on a tipical days work that would be great to read. Like you do with your children etc you get my drift.

Ed thank you for the work you have done and for generaly being a wonderfull person I have dedicated a new spell for you.

Ed'hugs Embrace
Level 1
area of effect: one person
duration 1D4 + 1 / level rounds

Description
Ed'Hugs embrace when cast on the target gives them wonderful sence of happyness, security and they feel more confident about themselves. For the duration of the spell the target get + 1 bonus to saving throws, charisma checks, inteligence checks and wisdom checks. This bonus is increased by one every level behond the first to maximum of 4.

"it was said that once embraced by Ed'hugs one would never forget...", by a victim

Purple you say?!

Edited by - Portella on 17 Mar 2011 21:27:20
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2011 :  20:09:04  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Heh. Portella, sent your last post on to Ed and just got this reply back:

Love it. THANK you. :}

So saith Ed. Who asked me to send you along a hug.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Aryalómë
Senior Scribe

USA
666 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2011 :  20:57:37  Show Profile Send Aryalómë a Private Message
Lady THO I don't think yoi got my last questions so I'll post them again:
Has Elminster ever been you Faerie and how would he describe it if he has?
Has Elminster encountered every true religous sect on Faerun?
Where did Ed (if he did) get his ideas for Sun and Moon Elves and where did he get the name Tel'Quessir from. Plus, how does one prononce it? I pronounce it like Tell kwessir.
Would Ed mind it if I ever met him, to bow down before him, grovel, and forfeit my soul to him?
Go to Top of Page

Aryalómë
Senior Scribe

USA
666 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2011 :  21:32:14  Show Profile Send Aryalómë a Private Message
Well, I though he wouldn't see because they got drowned out but I also edited them a bit :)
Go to Top of Page

Jakuta Khan
Senior Scribe

496 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2011 :  21:56:21  Show Profile Send Jakuta Khan a Private Message
@THO

thanks, but this was so clear to happen, as in real life.

thanks for understanding, very much appreciated.

when your impatience finally overwhelms you, Karma strikes right back ;) thankfully very often in a friendly way.

All the best
Jakuta Khan
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2011 :  22:24:33  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by tradwitch1313

Well, I though he wouldn't see because they got drowned out but I also edited them a bit :)

SHE sees all questions

And hopefully for the last time :

Reposting a question only further clutters and complicates this scroll.

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963

Edited by - The Red Walker on 17 Mar 2011 22:25:59
Go to Top of Page

Aryalómë
Senior Scribe

USA
666 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2011 :  23:19:44  Show Profile Send Aryalómë a Private Message
I meant to put she, sorry XC
My Nook didn't register my s....
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2011 :  00:45:29  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message
Corned Beef and Cabbage...yes, I'm an Irish American (even speak a smattering of Irish now...but not well); so I have to ask:

What different races have a stereotyped sort of favorite meal, and what might those meals be?

Thanks in advance!

P.S.- the whole "Green Beer" thing is insane...I wouldn't dare mess up a fine double or treble that way!

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Aryalómë
Senior Scribe

USA
666 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2011 :  02:16:42  Show Profile Send Aryalómë a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

Corned Beef and Cabbage...yes, I'm an Irish American (even speak a smattering of Irish now...but not well); so I have to ask:

What different races have a stereotyped sort of favorite meal, and what might those meals be?

Thanks in advance!

P.S.- the whole "Green Beer" thing is insane...I wouldn't dare mess up a fine double or treble that way!

Yumm....
I'm mostly Scotgish with Irish and English too. Happy St. Patrick's Day THO and Ed! I'm teaching myself Scottish gaelic myself....not easy! Which bricgs me :
Is there any gaelic sounding language on Faerun?
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2011 :  03:54:40  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Common ground!

quote:
Originally posted by Portella

Wow just seen the replies to my questions thank you the hooded one for relaying my questions to Ed, how cool it is good to see the names and types of food, plus I didnt know that as part of El's work is to seed the realms with magic be it scroll, magic items or help the further advancement of the art by saving ppl etc. I would loveto be a child in game and follow El'minster on a tipical days work that would be great to read. Like you do with your children etc you get my drift.<snip>
You can.

Read Temptation of Elminster to see one of the many things Mystra's Chosen must do (along with some others - you get a good look at what El's life is like).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2011 :  15:00:32  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all. I bring you Ed's lore-reply to tradwitch1313 re. this: "Is there any gaelic sounding language on Faerun?"
Ed says:

Hi, tradwitch. Larach, the human dialect used of old in The Great Dale and Telflamm, shares many shibboleths (by which in this case I mean "word sound elements" rather than shared words) with Scottish Gaelic (and the form of it I've heard most often, which is Canadian or Cape Breton Gaelic), rather than the softer and more "like Irish" Gaelic dialects.
In the Realms, Larach survives only in a few phrases and in inscriptions among humans, but is very close is sounds AND casual everyday vocabulary to gnome and halfling dialects of the Inner Sea east (that is, anything east of the Dragonreach and the Vilhon Reach).
So if you're up on your Gaelic (i.e. hearing and speaking it often enough to be able to "catch" what's mumbled and said quickly, as in "normal" everyday casual speech), you would get about two words in ten of halfling and gnome chatter.
Listen hard, or you may never know what they're chattering about . . .
. . . and of course it could be you. ;}

So saith Ed. Creator of the Realms and its linguistics, not to mention the entire written scripts of Espruar, Dethek, and several others.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2011 :  17:46:06  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi all. Some sad news to report:
Ed's cousin Mike Glicksohn (a great guy, longtime sf fan, and Hugo-award-winner) died early this morning. Ed may fall silent over the next several days as the family deals with this.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Portella
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
247 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2011 :  18:03:02  Show Profile  Visit Portella's Homepage Send Portella a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Hi all. Some sad news to report:
Ed's cousin Mike Glicksohn (a great guy, longtime sf fan, and Hugo-award-winner) died early this morning. Ed may fall silent over the next several days as the family deals with this.
love to all,
THO

god, please send him and his family our regards and best wishes, times like this are never pleasant.

Purple you say?!

Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2011 :  18:20:59  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
My deepest condolences.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2011 :  19:17:55  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message
My condolences as well.

I wonder if at times like these if it might be best to let this scroll sit silent until his return.

But maybe the ever growing stack of queries will be a welcome distraction upon return?

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Azuth
Senior Scribe

USA
404 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2011 :  19:43:42  Show Profile  Visit Azuth's Homepage Send Azuth a Private Message

I agree with the sentiments of The Red Walker. For all that Ed does for us, let us allow him time to grieve. I know that our Lady Herald tracks and sends subjects, but let us not burden her with questions until she feels Ed is ready to answer them. Ed certainly has stacks of questions to review that have already been submitted should he wish to do so, but I suspect he has plenty of other outlets he can use if he feels the need for distraction. THO, I dare say I speak for all of us in asking you to convey our condolences to Ed on our behalf.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2011 :  20:55:55  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
My condolences to Ed and his family.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Aryalómë
Senior Scribe

USA
666 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2011 :  21:06:14  Show Profile Send Aryalómë a Private Message
Starts keening.......
My deepest condolences to Ed and his family.
Go to Top of Page

Joran Nobleheart
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2011 :  23:24:39  Show Profile  Visit Joran Nobleheart's Homepage Send Joran Nobleheart a Private Message
If you would, please pass along my own condolences to Mr. Greenwood if you would, please. He and his family are in my thoughts and prayers.

Paladinic Ethos
Saint Joran Nobleheart
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2011 :  23:38:08  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
Sympathies from the Lady K and myself, Ed. We're truly sorry.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Elfinblade
Senior Scribe

Norway
377 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2011 :  00:47:00  Show Profile Send Elfinblade a Private Message
Please convey my sincere sympathy and condolences for Ed and his family.
Go to Top of Page

Aysen
Learned Scribe

115 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2011 :  02:53:11  Show Profile  Visit Aysen's Homepage Send Aysen a Private Message
Echoing my fellow scribes, let me add my own sentiments of condolence to Ed and his family in this time of grief and remembrance. (Places both hands over heart and bows head.)
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2011 :  03:44:55  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message
Aye. I'll add my own heartfelt condolences, as well. Blessed be, Ed o' the Greenwood.

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7968 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2011 :  03:48:32  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message
Having recently lost a close family member I understand how Ed might feel and convey my sympathy as well.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2011 :  05:53:41  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message
And add my condolences to the growing pile Ed.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 60 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000