Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2011)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 60

Knight of the Gate
Senior Scribe

USA
624 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2011 :  03:53:28  Show Profile Send Knight of the Gate a Private Message
I love every single bit of this answer; the doings of the gods can only be understood as allegory or (at best) as tales told by those with agendas of their own. Wonderful, wonderful lore; Many, many thanks, goodsir.

How can life be so bountiful, providing such sublime rewards for mediocrity? -Umberto Ecco

Edited by - Knight of the Gate on 25 Feb 2011 12:07:34
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2011 :  07:24:15  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message
Gods lie!

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Azuth
Senior Scribe

USA
404 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2011 :  09:09:43  Show Profile  Visit Azuth's Homepage Send Azuth a Private Message

A question for Ed: with Mystra and Azuth (at least temporarily) dead in the 4E world, to whom would it fall to further the usage of magic in the Realms from the point of divinity? One of my favorite chapters in Elminster in Hell is when El is planting items that are supposed to be "old." I have this crazy dream of a wizard appearing in the Realms version of Antique Roadshow and some sage saying, "well, I'm sorry but this wand isn't really from the Cormanthor era, although it's quite a good replica. Based on the slight discoloration and the unusual char marks not present in that series, this wand is likely dated to around the fifth revolt of Arabel..."

Cheers,

Azuth, (still) the First Magister
Lord of All Spells

Azuth, the First Magister
Lord of All Spells

The greatest expression of creativity is through Art.
Offense can never be given, only taken.
Go to Top of Page

Aryalómë
Senior Scribe

USA
666 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2011 :  11:20:00  Show Profile Send Aryalómë a Private Message
Thank you Lady THO!!
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2011 :  11:51:54  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message
Great explanation. Wow. Thanks!

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2011 :  16:21:23  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

There's an 'Edit Post' button, ya' know.

Now if only it could be employed on Marku....errr...other scribes scrolls

Ed or Lovely One....what are the chances of Ed making another trip to FalconFar?

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963

Edited by - The Red Walker on 25 Feb 2011 16:23:41
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2011 :  16:48:30  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message
Also, what are the odds of Ed going to Ottawa for a book signing, or just whatever?

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2011 :  21:25:13  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Thanks for the response about Gencon, THO & Ed - hope to see you both there.

The word 'Star' is more important then many realize, isn't it?

How powerful are the highest level Malaugrym? I know one read Bane's mind, while Bane was in his own Godly Domain... that's some pretty serious mojo right there.

I take it that the 'Saurian' creator race (which later became the Sarrukh) was part of Ed's original - is there anything he can share about how HE pictured things going in primordial times, and what sort of ruins one might be able to find?

Now I'm just taking 'shots in the dark'. LOL

quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

quote:

Now if only it could be employed on Marku....errr...other scribes scrolls.
There is no such thing as a 'Self-Edit' Button.

And I go back and edit my posts repeatedly (which must drive the mods insane), else my post count would be AT LEAST double.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 25 Feb 2011 21:26:23
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2011 :  23:32:34  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message
MT, I'm sure many of us would almost rather it WAS..... LOL!!

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

Penknight
Senior Scribe

USA
538 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2011 :  00:16:11  Show Profile Send Penknight a Private Message
Hello after a long absence!! Hoondatha, thank you my friend for showing Alystra the thread we had been working on before, and Alystra, thank you for asking more about Lothen! And dearest THO, truly you are the seductive Weave of my campaigns, and I thank you and Mr. Greenwood for answering so fully about the city and how it looks! You've made this player of a certain NG male fey'ri bladesinger that's presently in charge of the city very happy!!! Also... what would he be called? Would coronal be appropriate, or is there another title that would be more proper?

Telethian Phoenix
Pathfinder Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2011 :  00:26:30  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message
Ed, if you have allready covered it I understand, but can you give me
an idea of the difference between Spellfire and Arcane fire from the
Archmage prestige class?

If allready covered, anybody got a link?
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2011 :  00:53:45  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message
Ah, good to see you again, Penknight, and you're most welcome. I asked about it out of curiosity, and of course because I was interested in learning more about the place our resident bard/dervish would be living. In fact, I am even using some of that info in a campaign on a site elsewhere. I've also asked several other questions that are still waiting for answers- hope those will be of use to you as well.

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:

Go to Top of Page

Penknight
Senior Scribe

USA
538 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2011 :  01:02:34  Show Profile Send Penknight a Private Message
I'm sure they will, my friend, and thank you again! Best of luck to you in your game by the way elsewhere! And there are all sorts of nasty ideas in my mind now about what to do with Lothen...

Telethian Phoenix
Pathfinder Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2011 :  01:30:22  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message
Coolio. And it's funny you should show up again now- I was just mentioning you over at the Inn. Guess your (virtual) ears must have been burning! Do tell about said nasty ideas- I'd love to hear them. Might be I could use a few on that other game. PM me!

My stories:

Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2011 :  01:48:29  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
quote:

Thanks for the response about Gencon, THO & Ed - hope to see you both there.

The word 'Star' is more important then many realize, isn't it?

How powerful are the highest level Malaugrym? I know one read Bane's mind, while Bane was in his own Godly Domain... that's some pretty serious mojo right there.

I take it that the 'Saurian' creator race (which later became the Sarrukh) was part of Ed's original - is there anything he can share about how HE pictured things going in primordial times, and what sort of ruins one might be able to find?

Now I'm just taking 'shots in the dark'. LOL

quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

quote:

Now if only it could be employed on Marku....errr...other scribes scrolls.
There is no such thing as a 'Self-Edit' Button.

And I go back and edit my posts repeatedly (which must drive the mods insane), else my post count would be AT LEAST double.

Or perhaps he THOUGHT he did, but no really, where did you read that, SHARE!!!!!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2011 :  02:16:59  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message
that piece of info came out of the Shadows of the avatar trilogy. Early book 1 I believe.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2011 :  04:19:43  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Yuppers.

It was just one of the examples of a deity NOT being unassailable within their own realms, that I could remember off the top of my head (from a post I mostly deleted... and I DO self-edit - can you imagine what I am like when I don't?)
I had a whole list of others, including the fact that Cyric was holding Mask in his damn hand within his own realm and couldn't tell!

Yeah... godly domains.. YEAH.... Riiiiight...

I will have to eventually build a proper response to that new thread on the subject. Its just that my ADD is so bad that after I erased the initial post, I lost all interest in the subject matter (my ADD was going to go into the Epic handbook under 'Epic Disadvantages' for a point-buy system, but it was cut for space... plus they saw something shiny and forgot all about it...)

Anyhow, what gods want mortals to believe is that they are unassailable within their own realms, so that pesky uber-mortals don't keep knocking on their door and challenging them. Once again, the gods lie... and for good reason.

But sometimes mortals are clever enough to see past the lies - just ask Bane, Myrkul, and Bhaal.

Hopefully I will get a "Yeah, what he said" from Ed.

And to add yet another question to stop this infernal thread-drift, if you do choose to answer my query about the Malaugrym, are there any notable 'exceptions' to the general rule? You know - Malaugrym that have no interest in Toril, perhaps because they find another world interesting? Or maybe even a couple who aren't all that bad....

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 26 Feb 2011 17:55:16
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2011 :  04:38:08  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Looking for mines right now, thanks.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2011 :  16:24:49  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Markustay, in regards to these queries, from you: ". . .are there any notable 'exceptions' to the general rule? You know - Malaugrym that have no interest in Toril, perhaps because they find another world interesting? Or maybe even a couple who aren't all that bad...."
I KNOW (from what's unfolded in Realmsplay with Ed as DM, and from subsequet private discussions with Ed) that the short answers to your questions are: Yes, yes, and yes.

However, I'm going to leave it to Ed to elaborate (these followups, like your first ones and the Cormyr map location queries, have gone on to him; expect an answer on the Cormyr places in a day or so). I'll just quote from one of his GenCon seminar remarks, years back, for everyone:
"The Malaugrym are a family, remember . . . so just like members of a human family, they can be very different from each other, hold very different views, argue and dispute and work towards very different aims."

So saith Ed. Who is probably rustling up a swift lunch right now, before driving off to an afternoon of helming the circ desk at his library day job. Before returning home to spend the evening working on the next Elminster novel.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2011 :  11:41:58  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message
Dear Hooded One,

I have a quick question I hope you, Ed, or someone else can help me with. In the old 1st edition FR boxed set, there is an adventure in Myth Drannor (The Hall of Beast Tamers) in which you can find a stone that summons a hellcat (on page 51). The picture of the stone is supposed to be printed there, but this picture is missing, probably due to some editing mistake. Is this picture available anywhere?

I'd also like to know about the missing paragraph of the Moonshae accessory, but maybe this one I must look for in another post...
Anyway, thank you in advance!

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2011 :  23:43:56  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message
Hey Ed, I've got another question to toss on the pile. This one's a hypothetical, so hopefully we can dodge NDA's.

I'm thinking of starting a high-level campaign, and casting around for ideas for an over-arching theme. One of the players has her heart set on a priestess of Tyr, which is sadly one of the least-described deities in the Realms. In thinking about all the things I don't know, I also got to thinking about maybe basing the campaign around a quest directly from the deity. But since I don't know as much about Tyr as I do about say, Mystra, or Sharess, or some of the non-human pantheons, I thought I'd come to you for advice.

My question is: can you share an idea or two for epic (as in the English word, not the 3e book) quests that Tyr might hand down to a devoted worshipper? I'm not looking for your average "Atonement" kind of quest, but more "nigh-impossible, greatly aid the deity." The campaign is going to be starting in the early 1360's in the Dalelands, but I have absolutely no problem sending the group all over the continent, or the world, or the planes and sphere.

So basically, if Tyr had a group of really powerful adventurers that he could send to fix any problem, what would he send them to do?

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2011 :  01:30:13  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all. Alisttair, Ed gets to Ottawa about once a year or so, usually in the dead of winter, to watch his granddaughter play in a hockey tournament out at the Sensplex arena in the suburbs. He always tries to take the family to the National Art Gallery or to look at the (stunning) Library in the Parliament buildings, but rarely wanders the downtown any more (as he says: "Everyone in Ottawa seems to forget that travellers from elsewhere have to park their cars SOMEwhere.")
And akin to everywhere else, gaming shops, comic book stores, and sf bookstores seem to keep closing.
. . .
Hoondatha, I have better news for you: a reply from Ed to your request for a Tyr-assigned quest. Heeere's Ed!:

Hi, Hoondatha! Sure, I have a dandy quest (heh, your players may not agree, once they're immersed in it). Pick a corrupt district or city in a corrupt country, or a corrupt city-state (e.g. Athkatla, or Westgate, or a Sembian city, or a coastal city in Tethyr; wherever you want to set a goodly amount of roleplaying time). The deity, via priests and altar-visions and dream-visions, assigns to the PCs the task of rooting out corruption, cronyism, and bad laws and law enforcement, and building a FAIR and open system of "justice" in that jurisdiction, so the populace will trust that even-handed justice WILL be done, and prevail. Yes, it's a lifelong task, but if the deity just wants them to establish (rather than maintain) such a system, they may be able to manage it in as little as three or four years. Probably making themselves hated-by-the-ruler outlaws in the process. ;} Widespread civil strife should be minimal, though deaths may be unavoidable.

So saith Ed. And there you have it; just saunter on out (after tea) and reform a corrupt country. Me, I'll sit over here and watch.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2011 :  01:39:29  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message
Aye, now there's a quest. The mind boggles. Thanks, Ed, I appreciate it. Though you're right, my players probably won't.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Azuth
Senior Scribe

USA
404 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2011 :  03:37:23  Show Profile  Visit Azuth's Homepage Send Azuth a Private Message

I go on vacation and someone steals my question!

I would repeat the question with the focus on the dieties of Eldath and Deneir/Oghma. I have two priests in a 3E campaign around which I'd like to focus the next year or so of the campaign. 2010 was a year focused on the mage of the party (which was fun), but Eldath's peaceful ways are proving to be my problem in coming up with a joint Holy Quest for both priests. I can easily come up with something epic for the Binder and the Lord of Glyphs, but a combined mission with Eldath is challenging me.

Also as a question for Ed or anyone else: was it ever explained what happened to Tilverton in 3E? I've kept it in my campaign until I can find an explanation for what's in the 3E books.

Cheers,

Lord of All Spells

quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Hi again, all. Alisttair, Ed gets to Ottawa about once a year or so, usually in the dead of winter, to watch his granddaughter play in a hockey tournament out at the Sensplex arena in the suburbs. He always tries to take the family to the National Art Gallery or to look at the (stunning) Library in the Parliament buildings, but rarely wanders the downtown any more (as he says: "Everyone in Ottawa seems to forget that travellers from elsewhere have to park their cars SOMEwhere.")
And akin to everywhere else, gaming shops, comic book stores, and sf bookstores seem to keep closing.
. . .
Hoondatha, I have better news for you: a reply from Ed to your request for a Tyr-assigned quest. Heeere's Ed!:

Hi, Hoondatha! Sure, I have a dandy quest (heh, your players may not agree, once they're immersed in it). Pick a corrupt district or city in a corrupt country, or a corrupt city-state (e.g. Athkatla, or Westgate, or a Sembian city, or a coastal city in Tethyr; wherever you want to set a goodly amount of roleplaying time). The deity, via priests and altar-visions and dream-visions, assigns to the PCs the task of rooting out corruption, cronyism, and bad laws and law enforcement, and building a FAIR and open system of "justice" in that jurisdiction, so the populace will trust that even-handed justice WILL be done, and prevail. Yes, it's a lifelong task, but if the deity just wants them to establish (rather than maintain) such a system, they may be able to manage it in as little as three or four years. Probably making themselves hated-by-the-ruler outlaws in the process. ;} Widespread civil strife should be minimal, though deaths may be unavoidable.

So saith Ed. And there you have it; just saunter on out (after tea) and reform a corrupt country. Me, I'll sit over here and watch.
love,
THO

Lord of All Spells

Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2011 :  03:52:03  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message
Read the section in faith and pantheons that talk about
whatever lie there is that if discovered all creativity
in the realms is dead and so is Oghmna.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2011 :  04:18:17  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Azuth

Also as a question for Ed or anyone else: was it ever explained what happened to Tilverton in 3E? I've kept it in my campaign until I can find an explanation for what's in the 3E books.

Cheers,

Lord of All Spells

It was in one of the novels, the Last Mythal novels maybe or in one of the short story anthologies. But what basically happened is Khelben, least I recall it being Khelben, created a Weave magical item that conflicted with Shadow Weave magic and it decimated Tilverton. However, I also recall that parts of the city were cleared and they also formed New Tilverton nearby. This was later detailed in maybe a short story anthology.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2011 :  04:29:33  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
I thought it was Vangy, Kuje.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2011 :  04:33:19  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

quote:

Cheers,

Lord of All Spells

It was in one of the novels, the Last Mythal novels maybe or in one of the short story anthologies. But what basically happened is Khelben, least I recall it being Khelben, created a Weave magical item that conflicted with Shadow Weave magic and it decimated Tilverton. However, I also recall that parts of the city were cleared and they also formed New Tilverton nearby. This was later detailed in maybe a short story anthology.

'Twas "Return of the Archwizards," actually, and the Realms of Shadow anthology.

Basically, Vangerdahast made use of a Weave-based magical item that tried to stop the Shadow Weave magic -- but, ultimately, the two forces conflicted with each other and they caused a rift to form in the city, destroying most of it.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Azuth
Senior Scribe

USA
404 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2011 :  04:49:27  Show Profile  Visit Azuth's Homepage Send Azuth a Private Message

Many thanks to all! I have a new anthology to read, it seems... Happy day indeed!

Lord of All Spells

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

quote:

Cheers,

Lord of All Spells

'Twas "Return of the Archwizards," actually, and the Realms of Shadow anthology.

Basically, Vangerdahast made use of a Weave-based magical item that tried to stop the Shadow Weave magic -- but, ultimately, the two forces conflicted with each other and they caused a rift to form in the city, destroying most of it.

Lord of All Spells

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2011 :  08:16:46  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
It was vangy, my fault. I can't remember all the RSE's that took place in all those years. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 60 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000