Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2011)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 60

Azuth
Senior Scribe

USA
404 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2011 :  03:38:45  Show Profile  Visit Azuth's Homepage Send Azuth a Private Message

I suspect you'll need to clarify as Shar is a human deity and Lolth is a drow deity. If the whole house worships a deity in the human pantheon, you could spin a good story out of worshipping Mystra, Oghma, Deneir, or even Waukeen. Remember that Azuth and Mystra rule over magic both good and evil, and that Oghma and Deneir govern scribes in a similar manner. Waukeen is interesting in her governance of trades both public and private, which could make for a great story given Jarlaxle Baerne's history portrayed by Bob Salvatore. Anyway, I would clarify if you need a deity in a particular pantheon, as Shar is goddess of the Underdark itself. Any House in Menzoberranzan must publically venerate Lolth I assume, but Eilistraee works very well in many campaigns as I understand it.

Great Greenwood will obviously say what he can, but it seems succinct questions are more readily answered as they take less of his time.

Cheers,

Azuth, the First Magister
Lord of All Spells

quote:
Originally posted by tradwitch1313

...he could list me some deites who are but nt inherently evil. House Zanzifae is a House that believes in love, loyalty, and workmg together. They are known as The Vengeful House ad aways repay every slight on knd. They are aso merciless to the enemes.

Lord of All Spells

The greatest expression of creativity is through Art.
Offense can never be given, only taken.
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2011 :  04:41:28  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Hello Ed,
Can a mages familiar get possessed and if yes how does that effect their link, how bad a situation could that be?
Go to Top of Page

Aryalómë
Senior Scribe

USA
666 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2011 :  11:13:05  Show Profile Send Aryalómë a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Azuth

I suspect you'll need to clarify as Shar is a human deity and Lolth is a drow deity. If the whole house worships a deity in the human pantheon, you could spin a good story out of worshipping Mystra, Oghma, Deneir, or even Waukeen. Remember that Azuth and Mystra rule over magic both good and evil, and that Oghma and Deneir govern scribes in a similar manner. Waukeen is interesting in her governance of trades both public and private, which could make for a great story given Jarlaxle Baerne's history portrayed by Bob Salvatore. Anyway, I would clarify if you need a deity in a particular pantheon, as Shar is goddess of the Underdark itself. Any House in Menzoberranzan must publically venerate Lolth I assume, but Eilistraee works very well in many campaigns as I understand it.

Great Greenwood will obviously say what he can, but it seems succinct questions are more readily answered as they take less of his time.

Cheers,

Lord of All Spells

quote:

...he could list me some deites who are but nt inherently evil. House Zanzifae is a House that believes in love, loyalty, and workmg together. They are known as The Vengeful House ad aways repay every slight on knd. They are aso merciless to the enemes.

Well, I don't want them to worship a dead power deity because they wuldn't get any power frm said deity. Of Mystra were still alive, now that wold be a different story if she weren't lawful. Is Azuth still alive?
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Asmodeus
Master of Realmslore

1221 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2011 :  14:32:13  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Asmodeus's Homepage Send Chosen of Asmodeus a Private Message
As a point, by the 4e model there aren't any racial pantheons anymore; in Faerun at least, they're one big pantheon. Different races may worship different gods under different aspects(Gruumsh being Talos among humans), or in different proportions(Corellon is more popular among elves and eldran, Lolth among drow), they aren't considered separate pantheons anymore.

"Then I saw there was a way to Hell even from the gates of Heaven"
- John Bunyan, Pilgrim's Progress

Fatum Iustum Stultorum. Righteous is the destiny of fools.

The Roleplayer's Gazebo;
http://theroleplayersgazebo.yuku.com/directory#.Ub4hvvlJOAY
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2011 :  20:41:40  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Azuth is dead, absorbed by Asmodeus.

@tradwitch: Nearly ANY deity would work (even Shar). I've made that point already in the other thread. Gods pose as other gods all the time, and have dozens of aliases. We can't even be sure about which (official) gods are 'real', because any of them could be an front that another god is operating under. YES, even Shar could have killed Lolth during her silence and has been posing as her (and Vhaeraun could have been replaced by Mask as well)... we just DON'T KNOW.

And before someone points out that Vhaeraun couldn't be Mask because of Eilistraee killed him... did she? Really? Or did she just kill the single Avatar that Mask (who is known for posing as other 'things', right under the very god's nose) has been maintaining for years? When it comes to The Divine, there are NO FACTS, only mortal interpretations of events beyond their understanding.

You could use Zinzerena (perhaps the Zanzifae have found a vestige), or even Hoar (gods can appear as male or female, of any race) - he'd be good for the 'vengeful' angle.

Although having a sensual Drow female named 'Hoar' would be asking for trouble...

And before I get in trouble for side-chatter, THO, will Ed be at Gencon this year?

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Azuth
Senior Scribe

USA
404 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2011 :  00:57:55  Show Profile  Visit Azuth's Homepage Send Azuth a Private Message

Mystra's fate is unknown - we'll have to wait for Bury Elminster Deep for more insight into that. It's completely NDA until after the book, though, not to mention I don't want to know until the book comes out! I suppose you do need to clarify which edition you're running, as it appears you're in the 4E world. THO will tell you that in Ed's campaign, they haven't even reached the Time of Troubles, yet.

All that being said, we really don't know what's happening in the world of the gods (as was said previously) but as a DM, you know exactly what's happening, unless you want your game to mirror what's going on in the novels and "official" material.

THO, dear: do you know if the name "Ao" was chosen with any relation to the Hawaiian story of creation? I happened across it while vacationing there (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ao_(mythology)) and it seemed to parallel the introduction of Ao in the Avatar Series really well. Please ask Ed if you're unsure.

Cheers,

Lord of All Spells

quote:
Well, I don't want them to worship a dead power deity because they wuldn't get any power frm said deity. Of Mystra were still alive, now that wold be a different story if she weren't lawful. Is Azuth still alive?

Lord of All Spells

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2011 :  01:16:17  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
Ed has said in the past that he wasn't sure where TSR came up with AO. It should be someone in the old posts. LOL.

Edit: Found it, since it was my question way back in 2006.

"Ed replies:

I have no idea where TSR got the idea for Ao or the tablets, for that matter (tablets bestowed by the gods and having inherent power appear in many religions). I have heard the Alpha and Omega theory before, yes, but this seems to me more likely; bear in mind that I'd heard of An from my readings, and I know (from poking around in it) that the TSR library had several world mythology and ancient gods "encyclopedias," so it's hardly surprising that someone might have found this and "borrowed" it for the ToT. However, this is pure speculation on my part; as I said, I have never heard where Ao came from (even hints), other than obviously both Troy Denning (who wrote the third Avatar novel) and Jim Lowder (who edited the Avatar novel trilogy) must have been involved.

So saith Ed."

quote:
Originally posted by Azuth

THO, dear: do you know if the name "Ao" was chosen with any relation to the Hawaiian story of creation? I happened across it while vacationing there (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ao_(mythology)) and it seemed to parallel the introduction of Ao in the Avatar Series really well. Please ask Ed if you're unsure.

Cheers,

Lord of All Spells

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 23 Feb 2011 01:23:04
Go to Top of Page

Aryalómë
Senior Scribe

USA
666 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2011 :  01:52:43  Show Profile Send Aryalómë a Private Message
Do you know when this new Elminster novel will be released? Tjere may be hope yet for House Zanzifae!!!!
Go to Top of Page

Azuth
Senior Scribe

USA
404 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2011 :  05:57:44  Show Profile  Visit Azuth's Homepage Send Azuth a Private Message
http://www.amazon.com/Bury-Elminster-Deep-Sage-Shadowdale/dp/0786958154/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1298440606&sr=8-1

Unless Ed sends you a copy earlier ;-)

quote:

Do you know when this new Elminster novel will be released? Tjere may be hope yet for House Zanzifae!!!!

Lord of All Spells

Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Asmodeus
Master of Realmslore

1221 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2011 :  11:37:48  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Asmodeus's Homepage Send Chosen of Asmodeus a Private Message
Speaking of Mystra. Very polarizing figure in the realms; I've seen a lot of people aching for her return, and a lot of people railing against it, flat out saying she won't be coming back in their games. There was one gentlemen over on the WotC boards who fell strongly into the anti-Mystra camp, who had this to say;

quote:
The only way I'd feel comfortable about seeing a god(dess) of magic re-introduced to the Realms is if it is a radical departure from everything we've seen before... Also, that god(dess) can't have control over the Weave (if it still even exists in some form or other). When I say god(dess) of magic I'm talking in terms of having the portfolio of magic similar to Corellon.

So, the Realms wants to sell me on a new deity of magic as a Mystra replacement? Fine. I'm open minded.

How about we make this new deity a villainous deity? The Tyrant of Magic. Queen of the Arcane. She takes a radically different take on magic than previous incarnations. She believes that those with arcane talent should rule the world, and believes in some type of meritocratic hierarchy... basically spellduels determine where you stand in that hierarchy. Of course, being evil she also accepts more subtle methods of advancement and forms of ruthlessness. End result? You earn the right to sit at the top.

How about we make this new deity insane? The Lady of Wild Magic. The Mistress of the Blue Flame. She'd be utterly insane and in addition to being a deity of magic, she'd also be the goddess of the Spellplague. Her faithful would view Plaguelands as holy and Plaguetouched as blessed creatures. Spellscars are marks of their lady's favor. Of course, I use the term lady loosely. The forms she assumes are random, and more often than not look like some twisted abomination out of the Far Realms.

If WotC / the Authors want to go a route similar to the above, I could get behind that idea. Just don't try and rehash the same old crap. Look forward, not backward. Make it interesting and unique. Make me WANT to use this deity in my campaigns. Make other people who don't even game in the Realms WANT to incorporate this deity into THEIR games.

Now, this person's(or anyone elses) personal opinions on the return of Mystra aside, I honestly find his suggested concepts for new deities of magic to be rather interesting, and am considering using both in my campaigns. My question is in the hypothetical scenario of Wizards implementing one of these ideas, both being radically different from Ed's original vision, what would his opinion/reaction to the change be?

The Roleplayer's Gazebo;
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2011 :  12:00:11  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Chosen of Asmodeus

Speaking of Mystra. Very polarizing figure in the realms; I've seen a lot of people aching for her return, and a lot of people railing against it, flat out saying she won't be coming back in their games. There was one gentlemen over on the WotC boards who fell strongly into the anti-Mystra camp, who had this to say;

quote:
The only way I'd feel comfortable about seeing a god(dess) of magic re-introduced to the Realms is if it is a radical departure from everything we've seen before... Also, that god(dess) can't have control over the Weave (if it still even exists in some form or other). When I say god(dess) of magic I'm talking in terms of having the portfolio of magic similar to Corellon.

So, the Realms wants to sell me on a new deity of magic as a Mystra replacement? Fine. I'm open minded.

How about we make this new deity a villainous deity? The Tyrant of Magic. Queen of the Arcane. She takes a radically different take on magic than previous incarnations. She believes that those with arcane talent should rule the world, and believes in some type of meritocratic hierarchy... basically spellduels determine where you stand in that hierarchy. Of course, being evil she also accepts more subtle methods of advancement and forms of ruthlessness. End result? You earn the right to sit at the top.

How about we make this new deity insane? The Lady of Wild Magic. The Mistress of the Blue Flame. She'd be utterly insane and in addition to being a deity of magic, she'd also be the goddess of the Spellplague. Her faithful would view Plaguelands as holy and Plaguetouched as blessed creatures. Spellscars are marks of their lady's favor. Of course, I use the term lady loosely. The forms she assumes are random, and more often than not look like some twisted abomination out of the Far Realms.

If WotC / the Authors want to go a route similar to the above, I could get behind that idea. Just don't try and rehash the same old crap. Look forward, not backward. Make it interesting and unique. Make me WANT to use this deity in my campaigns. Make other people who don't even game in the Realms WANT to incorporate this deity into THEIR games.

Now, this person's(or anyone elses) personal opinions on the return of Mystra aside, I honestly find his suggested concepts for new deities of magic to be rather interesting, and am considering using both in my campaigns. My question is in the hypothetical scenario of Wizards implementing one of these ideas, both being radically different from Ed's original vision, what would his opinion/reaction to the change be?

This idea can be easy to implement. Have it that the Spellplague caused Karsus' mortal shell to be reincarnated in a different body, whilst his divine spark is freed and through certain rituals similar to his old spell (which targets his divine spark instead), he takes back sole claim as deity of magic (and with the above mentioned idea, he is already ahead in the insane department, hence wild/spellplagued magic).

Which brings this quick question to mind for Great Greenwood *as I bow in worship*:
Is the current/future state of Karsus NDA??

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Asmodeus
Master of Realmslore

1221 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2011 :  12:28:59  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Asmodeus's Homepage Send Chosen of Asmodeus a Private Message
I'm actually planning on implementing both the god of arcane tyranny and a god of the pure wild magic of the spellplague in my campaign; think I might actuallly go with them being fractured pieces of Mystra who "came back wrong". But I'm undecided.

The Roleplayer's Gazebo;
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2011 :  14:37:33  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message
I was rereading Shadows of Doom the other day, because I was feeling blue and it always cheers me up (Ed's autograph on the front doesn't hurt either), and I was reminded of two long-standing questions I've had about Sharantyr.

First, what's the second half of her backstory? We know that she was a budding adventuress, got captured by the drow, and we know what happened to her during captivity. How did she get out? Did she escape? Was she rescued? And how did she end up in Shadowdale with the Knights?

My second question is a bit more... hmm... perilous. I know you're never supposed to ask a lady's age, but since the lady in question is fictional, I figure I can get away with it. How old was Shar during the Time of Troubles? El being El, he just can't help but tease her for it.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2011 :  18:33:57  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Hoondatha, I can't recall a lot of details about Sharantyr's "private life" (because she didn't volunteer much, during Realmsplay, turning aside many semi-casual questions with banter [Torm is always good for some teasing and jesting]), but I can quickly tell you that Shar ended up with the Knights because they rescued her from the drow (in a marathon play session done up at Ed's cottage, as I recall), and I THINK (my impression, no hard fact to back this up) she was in her twenties at the time.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2011 :  19:30:09  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message
Aha, thanks for that bit, THO. Very interesting. Please also forward it to Ed, I'd love to know more, if it can be revealed.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.

Edited by - Hoondatha on 23 Feb 2011 19:30:48
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2011 :  21:30:36  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Chosen of Asmodeus

Speaking of Mystra. Very polarizing figure in the realms; I've seen a lot of people aching for her return, and a lot of people railing against it, flat out saying she won't be coming back in their games. There was one gentlemen over on the WotC boards who fell strongly into the anti-Mystra camp, who had this to say... <snip>
I disliked the death of Mystra.

I would hate her return even more (I stopped reading comics because of the never-ending 'back-peddling' with the characters). Anything other then a total (Old gray Box) reboot would feel lame. Just move forward and 'fix it', any way you can. I either want the Realms back the way they were (or better, with a brand-new continuity reboot), or I want the new Realms Mystra-free.

Inserting Mystra into the 1479 Realms doesn't fix anything - the old sourcebooks are still practically worthless, in regards to NPCs and 'current situations'. All that will accomplish is making the new fans mad - the old fans do not want the new Realms, regardless of whether it has a goddess of magic or not. Either hit 'reset', or move forward, but don't keep trying to marry the two groups of fans together - it ain't gonna happen.

Yes, I know this isn't the proper thread for this, but I happen to agree with that guy's post from the WotC boards. Why in the world would they now want to alienate the few fans they still have?

Ummmm... and a question... before I get hit with the Sagely Hamster-stick:
Ed, were there any Fey in the Realms that you yourself created specifically for your world? Any official ones would be cool, but what would be even better would be some that we have never seen in print before. Also, any plots/plans/clandestine operations involving the Fey or about them that you could share? Major NPC interaction, perhaps?

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 23 Feb 2011 21:33:45
Go to Top of Page

Matt James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2011 :  22:58:57  Show Profile Send Matt James a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One
[
Oh, and Matt? He says a hearty "Hi!" right back to you (all), and offers off the top of his head one Realms "war wisdom" quote, this one from Rethril Rundsaer, a long-ago veteran war leader in Tethyr: "To wait for the best conditions to attack is to die of either old age or under an enemy onslaught while encamped and preparing."
love,
THO

Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2011 :  00:00:18  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Matt James

quote:
[
Oh, and Matt? He says a hearty "Hi!" right back to you (all), and offers off the top of his head one Realms "war wisdom" quote, this one from Rethril Rundsaer, a long-ago veteran war leader in Tethyr: "To wait for the best conditions to attack is to die of either old age or under an enemy onslaught while encamped and preparing."
love,
THO

Thanks!

Funny how that quote fits quite well in regards to love (and writing, for that matter) as well.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Aryalómë
Senior Scribe

USA
666 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2011 :  00:30:51  Show Profile Send Aryalómë a Private Message
Evil Goddess of magic = Shar
Go to Top of Page

Aryalómë
Senior Scribe

USA
666 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2011 :  00:34:12  Show Profile Send Aryalómë a Private Message
And the plac where spellcaster are on top =Netheril....
That person needs todo ther FR homework. Shar pretty much caused the Spellplage anyway. And I want Mystra back D:!!! I thin.
Go to Top of Page

Azuth
Senior Scribe

USA
404 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2011 :  02:09:18  Show Profile  Visit Azuth's Homepage Send Azuth a Private Message

I, too, would like to see Mystra restored. I'm also somewhat partial to Azuth coming back as well.

THO, can you ask Ed if there's a different connection with the new Mystra/Midnight and Azuth than with the old one? Ed really did a great job spelling out how Midnight felt about Elminster, but the divine relationship is a bit different.

Cheers!

quote:

And the plac where spellcaster are on top =Netheril....
That person needs todo ther FR homework. Shar pretty much caused the Spellplage anyway. And I want Mystra back D:!!! I thin.

Lord of All Spells

Edited by - Azuth on 24 Feb 2011 02:12:14
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Asmodeus
Master of Realmslore

1221 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2011 :  04:15:35  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Asmodeus's Homepage Send Chosen of Asmodeus a Private Message
Mystryl didn't actively support Netheril or any of the other half dozen or so magocracies throughout history; she just supported the unbridled use of magic. The idea there is just about a deity who's dogma boils down to "mages should rule", more or less a patron of places like Netheril or Thay. The other one basicly being Talos but with magic instead of weather, something of a patron for the Order of Blue Fire.

Anyway, gonna follow the leader here and ask a question. Back in the day, orcs were lawful evil and discribed as disciplined soldiers with well regimented armies, something that eventually got shifted over to hobgoblins; did Ed have any opinion on the change?

The Roleplayer's Gazebo;
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2011 :  05:29:21  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
You've all brought a smile to my face, fellow scribes. Each and every time I feel that I've to step in and bring this scroll back on course, you're all busy appending questions to your otherwise side-chatter.

Keep it up!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2011 :  08:17:30  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message
LOL!! I'd like to add another question to my list, if i may- Does Ed have any wisdom to share on the stance of Eilistraee's followers on prisoners of battle or criminals? I'd like to know how they deal with these matters, and also how young drow enter her priesthood. At what age? Is there a special requirement they have to meet before they can join? And since she now allows males to become priests, (od did just before the end of the LP books, anyway) how do they gain entry? These questions have popped up over on the Chosen site, and I'd like to share his thoughts with the folks over there.

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

Aryalómë
Senior Scribe

USA
666 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2011 :  11:46:33  Show Profile Send Aryalómë a Private Message
In Sacrifice of the Widow, when Rowaan and Lelianna captured Q'arlynd, they treated him to a truth spell as did Flinderspeld, and (I think).

Ok, I want to ask soe questions that IDO NOT want a cpnversation built around:
Were there any major Tiefling realms that they would want to rebuild (such as the ones in Narfell)?
How and who did Star Elves live with in the past before the founding of Yuirshanyaar?
And what does Ed think of the Star Elves?
Go to Top of Page

Aryalómë
Senior Scribe

USA
666 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2011 :  22:42:36  Show Profile Send Aryalómë a Private Message
Maybe I should reword my questions

Are there any Tieflng ruin that the Tieflong's have a great interest in restoring (the 4e PH hinted at the Narfell ruins)?

Why did the Star Elves try to hide themselves and disguise themselves as Moon Elves before the founding Yuireshanyaar?

And what does Lord Ed of the Greenwood himself think of the Star Elves?
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2011 :  23:40:40  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
There's an 'Edit Post' button, ya' know.

And an add-on to my last Fey-question: Are the Fey gates part of the network of The Road of Stars & Shadows? Was there something there before the Fey (and other Creator races) added to it? Or did they actually create the first of these pathways? Is there a connection between the 'road' and the Moonwells (and other 'pools') found throughout the Realms?

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2011 :  02:30:43  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
tradwitch1313, I can make a start at answering one of your recent Star Elves questions, because Ed privately answered almost the same query from me, last year. I have of course sent your questions to Ed for "proper answers," but must warn you that there are several NDAs regarding the Star Elves and the region they inhabit, so Ed might not be able to add much to what I say here.
So, regarding this, from you: "Why did the Star Elves try to hide themselves and disguise themselves as Moon Elves before the founding Yuireshanyaar?"
Ed replied to me earlier:

They did so because they were trying to hide from others (from outside the Realms) who were hunting for them.

When I asked Ed who was hunting them, and why, I got a "Sorry: NDA" answer.
So there you have it. Another little Realms mystery for us all.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Knight of the Gate
Senior Scribe

USA
624 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2011 :  02:58:50  Show Profile Send Knight of the Gate a Private Message
quote:

Hi again, all.
tradwitch1313, I can make a start at answering one of your recent Star Elves questions, because Ed privately answered almost the same query from me, last year. I have of course sent your questions to Ed for "proper answers," but must warn you that there are several NDAs regarding the Star Elves and the region they inhabit, so Ed might not be able to add much to what I say here.
So, regarding this, from you: "Why did the Star Elves try to hide themselves and disguise themselves as Moon Elves before the founding Yuireshanyaar?"
Ed replied to me earlier:

They did so because they were trying to hide from others (from outside the Realms) who were hunting for them.

When I asked Ed who was hunting them, and why, I got a "Sorry: NDA" answer.
So there you have it. Another little Realms mystery for us all.
love,
THO

Huh. I had played off of the 'Star' in their names to make them Spelljammers who'd come to Toril to escape a doomed homeland (whether from natural disaster, warfare, or magical catastrophe). It's always interesting to not be *too* far off in that sort of thing.
Thanks (as always) for the tease, THO... You do know how to leave us wanting more.

How can life be so bountiful, providing such sublime rewards for mediocrity? -Umberto Ecco
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2011 :  03:02:11  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all. Markustay, Ed certainly INTENDS to be at GenCon this year (as long as finances permit and his wife's health holds out). He has an anthology (nothing to do with the Realms or D&D, but involving some Realms alumnae as contributing writers) to launch, BURY ELMINSTER DEEP to launch, copies of some of his own work in various esoteric collections and anthologies to pick up, lots of friends to see and toast and dine . . . oh, yes, Ed will be there if he can!
I bring a short Realmslore reply from Ed to wakaman, regarding these recent questions:
"1. What were the "heavenly bodies" that Shar and Selune created? Are they the planets and stars of Realmspace, which include the planet on which Toril was created?
2. Did the Inner and Outer planes exist prior to the creation of Realmspace by Ao, were they created concomitantly with it, or did Selune and Shar (or perhaps the primordials) create those planes themselves? If they were not created by Selune and Shar or the primordials, were they created by Ao, or by something or someone else?"
Ed replies:

The short answer to all of your questions, I'm afraid, is that "no one knows." Mortals in the Realms only know what priests, seers, sages, and various mad-wits tell them about matters cosmological, and as I've said before: even the gods lie.
We don't KNOW the origin of Ao or any of the "elder" gods, or what they did or didn't do or create. We have been TOLD some things, a few of them contradictory and none of them verified by any measure that doesn't involve (at some point) faith.
What's more, wise mortals have long ago realized that they can never know the truth. That is, they have no way of learning more except by trusting a tale told by someone, at some point.
To underline this:
There are sages of Faerûn who believe that the Inner and Outer Planes were around long before any of the gods (and uber-beings, like Ao) we have heard of.
There are Faerûnian scholars of matters divine who believe Shar is a relatively "young" or recent deity, and much of what is now said of her "dawn doings" are more or less flattering falsehoods put about by her priests to make her seem more powerful, or somehow "essential."
There are sages of Faerûn who believe that all deities create stars or moons or other celestial bodies, because they define godhood as the enacted ability to successfully carry off such creations (working alone). There are other sages who dismiss this notion as pure fantasy, and assert divinity has nothing (necessarily) to do with such activities at all.
Similar disputes mar almost every tale of the deeds of gods, particularly when interacting with other gods. The priests of Lathander see this event far differently than the clergy of Shar do, while the priests of Umberlee offer as "gospel truth" a tale about a particular storm that contradicts entirely a similar "gospel truth" tale told by the clergy of Talos . . . and so on, for literally hundreds of instances.
So we simply don't know.
If you're asking me as creator of the Realms what the "truth" is, I'm sorry, but I'm deliberately leaving that mysterious (as I always have done). I'm no longer the sole designer of the Realms, and haven't been for some twenty-five years; that mystery is part of the essential "design room" that all designers need to tell future tales.
None of us know the truth (in any detail) about the origins of the real universe, yet we live our lives anyway, in spite of that - - and, I think, richer lives BECAUSE of that. We all need mystery and wonder, and part of providing Realmslore here at the Keep and since I started writing about the Realms back in 1966 has been a "slow tease" of revealing this little bit and then that little bit, but clinging to an air of mystery.
It's what inspires gamers such as Eric Boyd and Steven Schend and George Krashos and Brian Cortijo to "fill in gaps yet provide us with new mysteries," and allows fiction writers like Elaine Cunningham and Bob Salvatore and Erik Scott de Bie and Paul Kemp and dozens more the room they need to bring their own new characters to life, and at the same time enrich the shared sandbox for us all.
Not that I'm faulting you for asking. We all ache to know the truths behind existence, the origins of places and things we love, to be "in the know." I'd LOVE to give you full and exhaustive answers to your questions.
Yet I can't. If you love the glorious play of light through a magnificent stained glass window, do you smash that window just to see what's on the other side of it?
Well, we all have to arrive at our own answers to that one, but: * I * don't.
Sorry.
Truly.

So saith Ed. Creator of this entire show, and a nice man besides.
love,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 25 Feb 2011 04:53:00
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 60 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000