Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 why some players don't like interpretation?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Zimeros
Learned Scribe

Brazil
121 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2003 :  14:51:57  Show Profile  Visit Zimeros's Homepage Send Zimeros a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Yesterday, in my last adventure, all players liked it, except one, the little brother of my friend that doesn't knew RPG, his name is Andre, but we call him "Little Decca". My adventure had few fights and a lot of talks, it was like we call "role-play adventure", because this, Little Decca doesn't like it, he wants adventures with "broken the door" style, and my new group want that Decca play some adventures "role-play", with more interpretation and few fights. Little Decca's carachters in all adventures are fighters or barbars that only know to fight, and don't like to talk. Now I don't know what make to Little Decca stop to play with this "overpower" carachters. Do you understand this?

"Gods protect children and drunks"

Edited by - Zimeros on 18 Oct 2003 14:52:45

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2003 :  01:52:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think I can understand this one. Basically, most of your group of players like adventures with more of an emphasis on roleplaying, instead of combat, except for one player, who likes "kick-in-the-door" adventures, usually dungeon crawls with a heavy emphasis on fighting. I don't really have any advice. It's a mindset, and I haven't found anyway to break people out of it(even though I've tried).
Go to Top of Page

Arion Elenim
Senior Scribe

933 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2003 :  02:29:57  Show Profile  Visit Arion Elenim's Homepage Send Arion Elenim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think that your solution is simple - it is also the key to becoming a good DM...

You have to do your best to give as many of the PCs a good time. This means balancing the need for role-play with the need for good hack-and-slash. If not - you're just talking and playing pretend OR just rolling dice. Both are what make D&D fun....

I like games to be about 65/35, roleplay first, fighting second...but bot as prevalent parts of each and every session...

My advice: give your problem PC what he wants, WHATEVER he wants, so long as it doesn't interfere AT ALL with the enjoyment of the other PCs.

My latest Realms-based short story, about a bard, a paladin of Lathander and the letter of the law, Debts Repaid. It takes place before the "shattering" and gives the bard Arion a last gasp before he plunges into the present.http://candlekeep.com/campaign/logs/log-debts.htm
Go to Top of Page

William of Waterdeep
Senior Scribe

USA
829 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2003 :  02:37:38  Show Profile  Visit William of Waterdeep's Homepage Send William of Waterdeep a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Give him PC hack -n- slash dungeon crawl game and tell him to go home.
I'm joking,I have been known to like the break down the door style
myself.I bought them a new door,why did they not like me anymore.

Courage isn't the lack of fear but rather believing in and doing what you know is right even though fear is present.

Go to Top of Page

Jander Sunstar
Learned Scribe

Turkey
275 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2003 :  14:02:33  Show Profile  Visit Jander Sunstar's Homepage Send Jander Sunstar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Everyone wants action in the session this can be a riddle or an intrigue also( a mind action). But real frp is both role play and fighting for me. So he has to get used to this or play with his friends equal to his age

Punish me if you will, for my hands are not clean. But deny me not my revenge!"
-Jander Sunstar
Go to Top of Page

William of Waterdeep
Senior Scribe

USA
829 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2003 :  16:02:19  Show Profile  Visit William of Waterdeep's Homepage Send William of Waterdeep a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jander Sunstar

Everyone wants action in the session this can be a riddle or an intrigue also( a mind action). But real frp is both role play and fighting for me. So he has to get used to this or play with his friends equal to his age

You are right of course.I agree.

Courage isn't the lack of fear but rather believing in and doing what you know is right even though fear is present.

Go to Top of Page

Zimeros
Learned Scribe

Brazil
121 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2003 :  15:23:51  Show Profile  Visit Zimeros's Homepage Send Zimeros a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, I understand the mind of Little Decca, and I think you're right, he must to play with people of his age. But this weekend he wants to play with my group, again. I'll play in a ranch near the water, in night, we'll make circle with a flame in center, do you understand? It will be good, I hope, and I, the DM, will create a good adventure to all.

Edited by - Zimeros on 21 Oct 2003 15:25:29
Go to Top of Page

Jander Sunstar
Learned Scribe

Turkey
275 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2003 :  00:23:33  Show Profile  Visit Jander Sunstar's Homepage Send Jander Sunstar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, Good luck my friend
Teach little decca and integrate the next generation into real d&d life

Punish me if you will, for my hands are not clean. But deny me not my revenge!"
-Jander Sunstar
Go to Top of Page

William of Waterdeep
Senior Scribe

USA
829 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2003 :  04:43:22  Show Profile  Visit William of Waterdeep's Homepage Send William of Waterdeep a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zimeros

Okay, I understand the mind of Little Decca, and I think you're right, he must to play with people of his age. But this weekend he wants to play with my group, again. I'll play in a ranch near the water, in night, we'll make circle with a flame in center, do you understand? It will be good, I hope, and I, the DM, will create a good adventure to all.

That is actually very nice of you to do that.

Sounds exciting too,can I play?

Go to Top of Page

Mystery_Man
Senior Scribe

USA
455 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2003 :  12:03:44  Show Profile  Visit Mystery_Man's Homepage Send Mystery_Man a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Yesterday, in my last adventure, all players liked it, except one............play with this "overpower" carachters. Do you understand this?

I can tell you that age is not a factor. We're all over 30 in my groupo and I have one who thinks he's playing a video game and wants the motherload in treasure every encounter. Whines about not getting enough loot blah blah blah.
Since its just him doing the whining out of all five I just keep running my game the way I run my game. I do bend some extra monsters his way though, keeps him semi-shutup.

I usually run an encounter every 3 sessions or so where they hit a big fat cache of loot somewhere and watch them drool and fight over items. They live for this of course and probably don't realize that they'd get bored of it quickly if they got that every encounter. I'm so unappreciated.
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2003 :  14:10:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm an odd monster when it comes to treasure handouts. I generally don't give out huge hoards, but instead I give a single item that I've custom tailored for a given PC. Each item always has a history and an unusual appearance, though.
Go to Top of Page

William of Waterdeep
Senior Scribe

USA
829 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2003 :  21:02:25  Show Profile  Visit William of Waterdeep's Homepage Send William of Waterdeep a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arivia

I'm an odd monster when it comes to treasure handouts. I generally don't give out huge hoards, but instead I give a single item that I've custom tailored for a given PC. Each item always has a history and an unusual appearance, though.

That would be great,like magic weapons,armor or other items?

Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2003 :  21:51:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The items have run the gamut from moonblades to specially prepared spellbooks. Each item isn't just a +4 longsword or the like. Actually, here's an example:
Shavarlon's Shield
This +2 wild large shield is carved in the shape of an oak leaf. The shield itself is darkwood edged with bronzewood, and the whole shield has an overlay of Shelaniran vine. Druids can use the shield to apply the wood creature, blightspawned creature or symbiotic creature(twig blight or bogun) templates to themselves once per day. The change lasts for one hour, and the power can only grant one template at a time. The shield can also be used to cast vicious vines and force wall growth 3 times a day.

CL 15th, weight 5 lb.
Go to Top of Page

William of Waterdeep
Senior Scribe

USA
829 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2003 :  23:04:38  Show Profile  Visit William of Waterdeep's Homepage Send William of Waterdeep a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like that...Sounds very good to me.Some of these items are priceless
no doubt,much better than gold.You have a very good imagination and are probably open minded about the whole thing.You shouldn't be the odd monster as you say but the norm,at least I like your style.

Go to Top of Page

Zimeros
Learned Scribe

Brazil
121 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2003 :  12:43:31  Show Profile  Visit Zimeros's Homepage Send Zimeros a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, some monster and treasures in the adventures are good, with a good history. But I think that each group has its fovorite adventures' style, and my group(maybe I only) prefers more stories and few fights. I couldn't play last weekend in the ranch, because there was a rain, but tomorrow I'll play, and, Willian if you really want to play with us, we're waiting you next the C.Cesar's dowtow to take a bus to go the ranch. I like those itens that you said too. I've creating some adventures with some magical itens that I create, like the Lance of Krishnna and the Eyes of Kilrog.

Edited by - Zimeros on 31 Oct 2003 12:58:15
Go to Top of Page

William of Waterdeep
Senior Scribe

USA
829 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2003 :  20:42:48  Show Profile  Visit William of Waterdeep's Homepage Send William of Waterdeep a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Okay, some monster and treasures in the adventures are good, with a good history. But I think that each group has its fovorite adventures' style, and my group(maybe I only) prefers more stories and few fights. I couldn't play last weekend in the ranch, because there was a rain, but tomorrow I'll play, and, Willian if you really want to play with us, we're waiting you next the C.Cesar's dowtow to take a bus to go the ranch. I like those itens that you said too. I've creating some adventures with some magical itens that I create, like the Lance of Krishnna and the Eyes of Kilrog.

LOL....My friend,I do wish I could join you in a game!!!
I am usually struggling to keep gas in my car for local driving but if the situation were to ever change for the better in the future,then I would take you up on your offer.

Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2003 :  16:04:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks. I guess the items I actually put some thought into should be well received, as I just did that one off the top of my head.
Go to Top of Page

William of Waterdeep
Senior Scribe

USA
829 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2003 :  17:50:38  Show Profile  Visit William of Waterdeep's Homepage Send William of Waterdeep a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arivia

Thanks. I guess the items I actually put some thought into should be well received, as I just did that one off the top of my head.

Oh,I thought it was a treasure pile.Really,that is good if you can come up with items that easy.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000