Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 The greatest love story in the Realms?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Jelennet
Learned Scribe

Russia
131 Posts

Posted - 25 Dec 2010 :  10:27:31  Show Profile Send Jelennet a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I enjoy reading fantasy stories about love. Drizzt has fallen in love with Cattie-brie, Liriel with Fyodor, etc. So what is the greatest love story in the Realms and why?

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 25 Dec 2010 :  10:51:45  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Laeral Silverhand Arunsun and Khelben Arunsun. Nuff said.

My personal favorite is Alea Dahast and Baerauble Etharr. Curse whoever decided to separate them by making Baerauble the Crown Mage of Cormyr and Alea leave with Iliphar...

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 25 Dec 2010 :  11:00:30  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Shadril and Narm, or Elminster and The Simbul...

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 25 Dec 2010 :  13:11:29  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A tie between Liriel-Fyodor and Laeral-Khelben. On the other hand, I always find Elminster and Alassra an odd couple. They are close in actual age, but I imagine The Simbul maintaining her 30's looks, while Elminster looks really old.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 25 Dec 2010 :  13:43:21  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For pure epic-ness I'd go with Khelben and Laeral.
For best written one I'd say Arilyn and Danilo.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Synthalus
Learned Scribe

USA
170 Posts

Posted - 25 Dec 2010 :  13:46:08  Show Profile  Visit Synthalus's Homepage Send Synthalus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
(Laeral Silverhand Arunsun and Khelben Arunsun. Nuff said.)

I couldn't say it better myself Zireael

"That is not dead which can eternal lie,
And with strange aeons even death may die."
— H.P. Lovecraft (The Call of Cthulhu and Other Weird Stories)
Go to Top of Page

GRYPHON
Senior Scribe

USA
527 Posts

Posted - 25 Dec 2010 :  14:19:19  Show Profile Send GRYPHON a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Elminster and the Simbul...
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7968 Posts

Posted - 25 Dec 2010 :  14:33:32  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Alias and the saurial Dragonbait - not romantic lovers (that would be squicky) but "soulmates" bonded through magic, adversity, companionship, and shared experience. Alternately, the tragedy of failed budding love between Lathander and Tyche, or between Helm and Murdane; both tales more epic in scope than little mortals like Khelben and Laeral.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 25 Dec 2010 :  14:58:21  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

I'd have to agree. Though with Khelben and Laeral, what makes the story special to me is the centuries it took them to actually get together.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 25 Dec 2010 :  14:58:52  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arik

Alias and the saurial Dragonbait - not romantic lovers (that would be squicky) but "soulmates" bonded through magic, adversity, companionship, and shared experience. Alternately, the tragedy of failed budding love between Lathander and Tyche, or between Helm and Murdane; both tales more epic in scope than little mortals like Khelben and Laeral.

Alias and Dragonbait consider each other to be siblings.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 25 Dec 2010 :  15:06:27  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

I'd have to agree. Though with Khelben and Laeral, what makes the story special to me is the centuries it took them to actually get together.

That, and the fact that it kinda reminds me of the way the Lady K and I got together... though without as many centuries.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 25 Dec 2010 :  15:23:04  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

quote:

That, and the fact that it kinda reminds me of the way the Lady K and I got together... though without as many centuries.

Obviously, it wasn't on the to-do list!

Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 25 Dec 2010 :  18:55:51  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Semmemon and Ashemi, because it's so unexpected.

Thus proving true love can be found in the darkest of hearts.

Heroes who fall in love are a dime-a-dozen.
quote:

The Lady K WASN'T on Sage's 'to do' list?

Even I'm not scoundrel enough to take that one any further...

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 25 Dec 2010 18:58:54
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2010 :  01:26:52  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Um, MT? I think you just did... My vote- Liriel and Fyodor or Danilo and Arilyn. Both very good couples. Too bad about the end for Liriel and Fyodor, though.

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

Lady Kazandra
Senior Scribe

Australia
921 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2010 :  02:10:48  Show Profile  Visit Lady Kazandra's Homepage Send Lady Kazandra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Heroes who fall in love are a dime-a-dozen.
quote:

The Lady K WASN'T on Sage's 'to do' list?

Even I'm not scoundrel enough to take that one any further...

I do believe we've covered this ground before --

quote:

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Lady Kazandra

quote:

Yes, you're on my list, too, but it's just another "To-Do" objective that I've not had the time to complete.
I'm on the list too. Aren't I?

I would hope that you'd be too much of a priority to make the to-do list. The to-do list should be for stuff to do later, not immediately.

Her priority status largely depends on her mood.

"Once upon a time the plural of 'wizard' was 'war'." -- The Last Continent, by Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Elfinblade
Senior Scribe

Norway
377 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2010 :  13:22:31  Show Profile Send Elfinblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Seconded :)
Go to Top of Page

Thauramarth
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
729 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2010 :  13:51:57  Show Profile Send Thauramarth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Adding to the chorus: in the category romantic drama:Laeral and Khelben. Many centuries of touch-and-go, then touch, and (relatively quickly) go. In the category romantic comedy: Danilo and Arilyn.

Dishonourable mention (because it shows that the old boy has a heart, of sorts): Manshoon and Symgharyl (sp?) "the Shadowsil" Maruel. After all, Manny rode out to avenge her. Not the man's regular habit.
Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2010 :  13:55:36  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No one mentions Alea & Baerauble? Nobody ever noticed them?

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2010 :  13:57:18  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Tammith and Bareris deserve an honorable mention. Despite that he knew his lover's soul had been shattered the moment she was turned into a vampire, he never stopped believing she would remember him, not as an enemy, but as her fiance.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2010 :  15:53:05  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Elfinblade

quote:

I'll agree. That one is another good call.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2010 :  16:17:59  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Actually, I'm curious as to whether Krash might have something to add to this. Might have to ask him in his scroll.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2010 :  18:19:57  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dennis

Tammith and Bareris deserve an honorable mention. Despite that he knew his lover's soul had been shattered the moment she was turned into a vampire, he never stopped believing she would remember him, not as an enemy, but as her fiance.

Which book are they from?

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2010 :  18:33:05  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zireael

quote:
Originally posted by dennis

Which book are they from?

The Haunted Lands trilogy. Their love story provided a little "light" to the rather dark atmosphere of the series.

Go to Top of Page

Therise
Master of Realmslore

1272 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2010 :  18:46:16  Show Profile Send Therise a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Liriel and Fyodor.

It has everything: a rocky relationship, pathos, drama, and at the end, true deep love. Which is all the more powerful because Liriel came from a culture devoid of true love, so she had to learn all of what that entailed.

Female, 40-year DM of a homebrew-evolved 1E Realms, including a few added tidbits of 2E and 3E lore; played originally in AD&D, then in Rolemaster. Be a DM for your kids and grandkids, gaming is excellent for families!

Edited by - Therise on 26 Dec 2010 18:48:22
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2010 :  20:06:03  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Actually, I'm curious as to whether Krash might have something to add to this. Might have to ask him in his scroll.

As an armchair psychologist (my degree in special education was never completed, but I did take more then a couple of psych courses), and with some of my own 'worldliness' (In other words, I've met quite a number of very strange folks in my day), I would say there is an 'eeewww' element involved in-there somewhere.

I don't want to get too sexual (because this really isn't the site for THAT kind of fan-fic), but Ashemi obviously has a certain amount of 'tomboy-ness' in her (to put it delicately), and Semmemon seems the type to be a wee bit 'gender confused' (thats not actually the proper term for what I am thinking, but it applies to a certain RW person I know that likes women who behave like men).

It seems obvious to me that Sememmon is attracted to her because she is not 'prissy-feminine'.

Which makes me now wonder if the Zhentarrim ever practiced a Sparta-like 'warrior brotherhood' type of... ummmm... social behavior. I believe something along these lines was asked of Ed once, but I don't think the Zhents were specifically mentioned (in either question or answer in regards to those types of situations).

In any case, Ashemi would be considered a 'handsome woman', which attracts a certain type of male.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 26 Dec 2010 20:17:37
Go to Top of Page

Therise
Master of Realmslore

1272 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2010 :  20:37:54  Show Profile Send Therise a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
...I don't want to get too sexual (because this really isn't the site for THAT kind of fan-fic), but Ashemi obviously has a certain amount of 'tomboy-ness' in her (to put it delicately), and Semmemon seems the type to be a wee bit 'gender confused' (thats not actually the proper term for what I am thinking, but it applies to a certain RW person I know that likes women who behave like men).

It seems obvious to me that Sememmon is attracted to her because she is not 'prissy-feminine'.

Which makes me now wonder if the Zhentarrim ever practiced a Sparta-like 'warrior brotherhood' type of... ummmm... social behavior. I believe something along these lines was asked of Ed once, but I don't think the Zhents were specifically mentioned (in either question or answer in regards to those types of situations).

In any case, Ashemi would be considered a 'handsome woman', which attracts a certain type of male.

Wow... I didn't ever get the impression that Ashemmi was uh... masculine, or butchy. And I didn't ever picture Semmemon being femme, not at all. On the contrary, I always sort of pictured Ashemmi as the classic "rescued lass in peril" when it came to her relationship with Semmemon. He always seemed like a "regular guy" although pragmatic, fearless and of course evil. But not evil with a capital E.

Where did you get this from? Maybe I've missed something. Like completely.

Female, 40-year DM of a homebrew-evolved 1E Realms, including a few added tidbits of 2E and 3E lore; played originally in AD&D, then in Rolemaster. Be a DM for your kids and grandkids, gaming is excellent for families!

Edited by - Therise on 26 Dec 2010 21:04:59
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7968 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2010 :  20:55:08  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Handsome women also attract certain kinds of female.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2010 :  21:16:22  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Correct, and there is a certain sub-set of 'gender challenged' that are lesbians trapped in a man's body (talk about confusing!)

I never said Semmemon was a 'sissy boy' - quite the contrary. The RW person I am thinking of in context of him is quite masculine, by all appearances. However, being related to him (through marriage), I know more about him then I care to, and his rather odd tastes (and he has a drop-dead gorgeous wife).

Where do I get that impression of Ashemi? She spent most of her career poising as a man... and no-one could tell. Either the Zhentarrim are even stupider then often depicted, or they had absolutely no reason to suspect anything to the contrary.

Saying that Semmemon is attracted to 'masculine' woman has no bearing on his own masculinity. People still worship Mystra, and if you ever saw that 3e pic of her you would wonder about Elminster's sexuality as well. She's a damn drag-queen!

Then again, many of FR's goddesses were depicted in a very masculine fashion in 3e, which makes me now wonder more about the artist's inclinations then it does about FR's gods (since they can appear any way they please). A women can be 'handsome', and still be very attractive by 'normal' standards - I can think of several Hollywood-types that fit this bill. Personally, I never understood what other men saw in Demi Moore.

Go to Top of Page

Therise
Master of Realmslore

1272 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2010 :  21:38:16  Show Profile Send Therise a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Correct, and there is a certain sub-set of 'gender challenged' that are lesbians trapped in a man's body (talk about confusing!)

I never said Semmemon was a 'sissy boy' - quite the contrary. The RW person I am thinking of in context of him is quite masculine, by all appearances. However, being related to him (through marriage), I know more about him then I care to, and his rather odd tastes (and he has a drop-dead gorgeous wife).

Where do I get that impression of Ashemi? She spent most of her career poising as a man... and no-one could tell. Either the Zhentarrim are even stupider then often depicted, or they had absolutely no reason to suspect anything to the contrary.

Saying that Semmemon is attracted to 'masculine' woman has no bearing on his own masculinity. People still worship Mystra, and if you ever saw that 3e pic of her you would wonder about Elminster's sexuality as well. She's a damn drag-queen!

Then again, many of FR's goddesses were depicted in a very masculine fashion in 3e, which makes me now wonder more about the artist's inclinations then it does about FR's gods (since they can appear any way they please). A women can be 'handsome', and still be very attractive by 'normal' standards - I can think of several Hollywood-types that fit this bill. Personally, I never understood what other men saw in Demi Moore.

Haha! Okay, no offense but I think you might be reading a little too much into Ashemmi and into Semmemon as well. Just because she was impersonating a male human doesn't mean she didn't still have or display feminine characteristics while working in the Zhentarim. Perhaps it was a moment of acting girly that made Semmemon suspicious, and he later saw through her disguise. I can easily imagine a "Shakespeare in Love" movie moment between the two, where their natural chemistry quickly becomes a passionate lovemaking session (perhaps on furs, in front of a fire) once the moustache cames off and the "treasure chest" is uh, exposed.

Ed Greenwood -loves- that kind of thing, so I can totally picture it.

As to whether or not she was "handsome" in her real form rather than beautiful, that's probably up to the reader.

... and the 3E Mystra was butchy? Wow Markus... just wow.

I'm gonna go have a giggle fit, and come back later. *hugs*

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2010 :  21:57:29  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For no-one to have suspected a thing for years means she was either the Realms greatest actress, or something about 'him' never gave any clue.

That's all I am saying.

Perhaps I am reading too much into it - I do have a tendency to over-analyze everything.

I don't mean for any of that to be 'a canon fact' - that was just IMHO of that particular situation. Considering how little we have to go on, anyone can spin it any way they want in their Realms. I have absolutely no plans to ever use those two, but I just felt like relating my own assessments of them, considering I used them as my answer to this thread. I also don't find anything 'wrong' with them, AT ALL, quite the contrary - just two people who fate threw together, who managed to find love in the face of adversity.

I just thought that was kinda... special.

Go to Top of Page

Therise
Master of Realmslore

1272 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2010 :  22:20:37  Show Profile Send Therise a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

For no-one to have suspected a thing for years means she was either the Realms greatest actress, or something about 'him' never gave any clue.

That's all I am saying.

Perhaps I am reading too much into it - I do have a tendency to over-analyze everything.

I don't mean for any of that to be 'a canon fact' - that was just IMHO of that particular situation. Considering how little we have to go on, anyone can spin it any way they want in their Realms. I have absolutely no plans to ever use those two, but I just felt like relating my own assessments of them, considering I used them as my answer to this thread. I also don't find anything 'wrong' with them, AT ALL, quite the contrary - just two people who fate threw together, who managed to find love in the face of adversity.

I just thought that was kinda... special.

Absolutely, I mean look at how I'm looking at it, from my perspective as a woman. I was all over the romance and how he'd rescued her, even saved her from the evil spell suppressing her true emotions. For me, it was half "Shakespeare in Love" and half "Twelfth Night."

"Oh Duke Orsino!" *heavy sigh*

So romantic! Semmemon is all man, chivalrous and faithful. That's some damn sexy Realms stuff there! We should get a novel about them, preferably written by Elaine Cunningham, that's what I'd like.

And he's taller and more handsome than Khelben, did I mention that?

*cough*

Anyway, you're absolutely right. We tend to pull in our own experiences and desires into books.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000