Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Confused by Bane
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Tremaine
Seeker

United Kingdom
86 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2010 :  18:31:56  Show Profile Send Tremaine a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I've finally got round to reading undead it's a real page turner

I've been reading realm novels on and off over the years so I probably missed some vital information and a bit confused, can someone help please

Anyway there is a scene when Bane appears to Szass Tam which is a really cool scene, but I thought he was dead in Finders Bane Iyachtu Xvim had replaced Bane and in Stormlight I thought Bane had failed again but its been a long time since I read those novels so maybe i was wrong, when did Bane make a comeback and is he in any other novel's

Thanks for the Help all

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2010 :  18:40:46  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tremaine

I've been reading realm novels on and off over the years so I probably missed some vital information and a bit confused, can someone help please

Anyway there is a scene when Bane appears to Szass Tam which is a really cool scene, but I thought he was dead in Finders Bane Iyachtu Xvim had replaced Bane and in Stormlight I thought Bane had failed again but its been a long time since I read those novels so maybe i was wrong, when did Bane make a comeback and is he in any other novel's

Thanks for the Help all

Bane made a comeback in 1371 DR, don't remember the exact date and month. That was when Iyachtu Xvim died.
As for Stormlight, I don't know.

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7974 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2010 :  18:43:30  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, the short version is that Bane lives and Xvim doesn't.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2010 :  19:06:57  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Xvim's followers had a dream where Bane exploded out of Xvim. Officially, that was the end of Xvim.

I have a theory, though, that Bane remains dead, and that Xvim is impersonating him. Existing Realmslore has more than one example of one deity impersonating another, even one killed by the impersonator. Me, I think Xvim faked Bane's return to cash in on his popularity and reputation -- Xvim never had the following that his daddy did.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Tremaine
Seeker

United Kingdom
86 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2010 :  19:32:10  Show Profile Send Tremaine a Private Message  Reply with Quote
that's a cool theory Wooly was going to ask is it the same Bane as before or a new god who has taken Banes name haha

Is there any novels on Bane or Xvim including cameos?so far I've read Stormlight,the five avatar novels and Finders bane

thanks for the answers
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2010 :  20:35:22  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Xvim has a bit of an appearance in Tymora's Luck... That's all I can think of, outside of the ones you mentioned.

It's also possible that reborn Bane really is Bane, but that he absorbed/subsumed Xvim into himself -- because the reborn Bane has shown some Xvim-like qualities.

We don't really know, and I think it's unlikely that we're going to get any info in this area. They never even bothered to cover Bane's return in the fiction -- all we got was a paragraph in the FRCS.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2010 :  23:46:23  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zireael

quote:

Thanks for the Help all

Bane made a comeback in 1371 DR, don't remember the exact date and month. That was when Iyachtu Xvim died.
As for Stormlight, I don't know.

The FRCS and F&P [and a few tidbits in Cloak & Dagger] references are the only sources we have on this. They gave us small notes saying that on this one particular night [Midwinter night of 1372 DR], all worshippers of Iyachtu Xvim had a dream where they saw him split apart and Bane emerge from within.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2010 :  00:35:08  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The ten or twelve pages of "current clack" in Cloak & Dagger are close to my favorite ten or twelve pages of Realmslore. And no, don't ask me to name an absolute favorite because I can't. :)
Go to Top of Page

Tremaine
Seeker

United Kingdom
86 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2010 :  10:41:37  Show Profile Send Tremaine a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

We don't really know, and I think it's unlikely that we're going to get any info in this area. They never even bothered to cover Bane's return in the fiction -- all we got was a paragraph in the FRCS.

That's good to know it feels like I read a good book and the middle interesting awesome bit of it went missing

I would have liked to have seen a novel how bane finally managed to return, it could have been a loose sequel to crucible
Go to Top of Page

swifty
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
517 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2010 :  22:19:16  Show Profile  Visit swifty's Homepage Send swifty a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

that's a cool theory Wooly was going to ask is it the same Bane as before or a new god who has taken Banes name haha

Is there any novels on Bane or Xvim including cameos?so far I've read Stormlight,the five avatar novels and Finders bane

thanks for the answers

he appears in pools of darkness.

go back to sleep america.everything is under control.heres american gladiators.watch this.shuttup. BILL HICKS.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2010 :  22:42:50  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by swifty

quote:

thanks for the answers

I did my best to block out memories of that novel.

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7974 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2010 :  22:49:09  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Did the novel take place before Bane's death and ToT?

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Murray Leeder
Forgotten Realms Author

Canada
228 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2010 :  15:49:52  Show Profile  Visit Murray Leeder's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The title of this thread made me think that Bane wrote a song or poem or something called "Confused."
Go to Top of Page

swifty
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
517 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2010 :  17:14:46  Show Profile  Visit swifty's Homepage Send swifty a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

thanks for the answers

was it banes minions talking in a noo yoik accent.

go back to sleep america.everything is under control.heres american gladiators.watch this.shuttup. BILL HICKS.
Go to Top of Page

Tremaine
Seeker

United Kingdom
86 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2010 :  17:18:43  Show Profile Send Tremaine a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Murray Leeder

The title of this thread made me think that Bane wrote a song or poem or something called "Confused."

maybe he has
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2010 :  17:44:30  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

thanks for the answers

was it banes minions talking in a noo yoik accent.

I don't recall that detail. What I seem to recall is that I found the plot utterly preposterous. I've not touched that book since the early 90s, so I may be conflating it with one of the other Pools books, which I found to have a lot of details and events that just struck me as ridiculous. I am not a fan of that series.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2010 :  17:47:55  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Murray Leeder

It's a song about Cyric!

Go to Top of Page

swifty
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
517 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2010 :  18:17:10  Show Profile  Visit swifty's Homepage Send swifty a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i remember pool of twilight being set in 1372 when all the other novels at the time were round about 1365.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000