Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Character races
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

ChieftainTwilight
Learned Scribe

171 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2011 :  05:21:58  Show Profile Send ChieftainTwilight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
how the hell can you have a Half-Golem Vampire? o_O; and is it possible to have a Psuedonatural Vampire? mean... maybe, if he were a Vampire first and then became psuedonatural... horrific apotheosises like that fit the theme well.

and a heart can only break so many times
and I've been to hell and back so many times
and I've seen folks walk away so many times
but just like anyone else I gotta stand up by myself
a heart can only break so many times
Go to Top of Page

Gouf
Seeker

USA
75 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2011 :  06:55:39  Show Profile  Visit Gouf's Homepage Send Gouf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dwarves! I did a lot of halflings for the longest time back in the 90's. But this century, the dwarves I play really get my inner role player heart pumping.

:D

"Why is the torch burning blue?"
Go to Top of Page

Xnella Moonblade-Thann
Learned Scribe

USA
234 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2011 :  22:16:46  Show Profile Send Xnella Moonblade-Thann a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Half-elves. Kinda hard for me not to love them, especially since that's what got me into D&D in the first place. I think it's cool that, in time, they learn to walk among both the human and elven worlds, although among polite elven society they may not be warmly welcomed. Plus the fact in pathfinder they are more like a true hybrid of elf and human makes them more appealing to me.

"Sweet water and light laughter until next we meet." - traditional elven farewell

Please forgive any spelling and grammer errors, as my android touch-screen phone has no spellchecker. If I do make a grammer mistake, please let me know and I'll try to fix it.

New laptop, still trying to sort my "scrolls" on its shelves...and when will this cursed thing stop doing things I tell it not to?
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2011 :  01:42:09  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cleric Generic

Half-Golem Pseudonatural Vampiric Gnomes...
I wouldn't mind hearing more about them.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2011 :  04:59:07  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What about half-dragons? Where's the love for them? And I'm talking about the original 2nd ed ones, where it had to be a true shape-shifting type of dragon to produce one, and was thus limited to the three strongest metallic races, as well as deep, steel, and song dragons. I bought the Council of Wyrms book when it first came out, and I've loved the half-dragons ever since. I was appalled at what 3rd and 4th ed did to them visually. They basically became two-legged dragons with hands instead of claws.... I prefer the more humanoid appearance they originally had.

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2011 :  05:28:16  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alystra Illianniis

What about half-dragons? Where's the love for them? And I'm talking about the original 2nd ed ones, where it had to be a true shape-shifting type of dragon to produce one, and was thus limited to the three strongest metallic races, as well as deep, steel, and song dragons. I bought the Council of Wyrms book when it first came out, and I've loved the half-dragons ever since. I was appalled at what 3rd and 4th ed did to them visually. They basically became two-legged dragons with hands instead of claws.... I prefer the more humanoid appearance they originally had.

As mentioned previously, I concur. Though I bought the Council of Wyrms as a boxed set, first, and got the book much later.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2011 :  06:36:17  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

What about half-dragons? Where's the love for them? And I'm talking about the original 2nd ed ones, where it had to be a true shape-shifting type of dragon to produce one, and was thus limited to the three strongest metallic races, as well as deep, steel, and song dragons.
Song dragons are my favourite of the various "wyrm-types." In fact, some of the most prominent NPCs in my 20+ years' worth of Realms campaigns, have been song-dragons.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2011 :  02:09:46  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

They are lovely pets.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3737 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2011 :  17:12:45  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

They are lovely pets.

-Methinks the Half-Dragon wouldn't particularly appreciate that.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2011 :  17:23:30  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Agreed. Besides, wouldn't that count as slavery? Tsk, tsk....

@Wooly. *sigh* Sadly, I never found the boxed set. Did not even know there was one until years later, by which time TSR had become WotC, and we were well into the 3rd ed era.

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2011 :  12:20:39  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Agreed. Besides, wouldn't that count as slavery? Tsk, tsk....

I'm a zulkir. So it matters not.

Go to Top of Page

MisterX
Learned Scribe

Germany
118 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2011 :  14:05:31  Show Profile Send MisterX a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Voted "other", since I always loved to play drow (as Alystra said, they deserve a category on their own ;) ). Since most groups wouldn't allow me to play a follower of Lolth (since I AM capable of combining evil alignment and wits) I play humans, most. The main reason for that is that I don't have to concentrate on racial traits while roleplaying (I'm very used to be a human, so it's pretty easy playing one ;D ) and that they're all versatile.

I've lost track of recent realmslore, since my campaigns are still in the 1370ies. :-)
---
When talking about rules (and related stuff) I always refer to 3.5e unless explicitly noted.
Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2011 :  04:06:44  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Voted humans. I used to prefer elves and later half elves. But ultimately y feel I can better identify with human characters and their versatility.

"You make an intriguing offer, one that is very tempting. It would seem that I have little alternative than to answer thusly: DISINTEGRATE!" Vaarsuvius, Order of the Stick 625
Go to Top of Page

ChieftainTwilight
Learned Scribe

171 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2011 :  06:09:46  Show Profile Send ChieftainTwilight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
what's wrong with slavery? seriously, I still have yet to hear a truely convincing answer as to what is wrongwith the practice of slavery itself; merely exampls of how it was misused, or claims of an abusive system that I'm able to point out realy isn't different from the way of the world even where slavery is outlawed.

and I've been to hell and back so many times
and I've seen folks walk away so many times
but just like anyone else I gotta stand up by myself
a heart can only break so many times
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2011 :  07:52:48  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Nope. Nothing's wrong with it at all. The weak suffer at the hands of the strong. The strong thrive in the submission of the weak. All's happy.

Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2011 :  22:12:48  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was absolutely shocked that "Wemics" were not on the list! ;)

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Farrel
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
239 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2011 :  22:35:27  Show Profile Send Farrel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I voted humans, mainly due to the fact that I can relate to them and my current character is a human Fighter who I think is amazing.

I did have an Elven character though, a Ranger/Cleric of Solonor, who I still think about alot.

I will admit that I did enjoy playing a Human Sorcerer/Cleric/Mystic Theurge of Bhaal, he enjoyed his work, and it was my first truly evil character.
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2011 :  23:25:22  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, since I started using Beznik seriously in-game, I'm really enjoying gnomes, too. That cantankerous little wizard clutz is so much fun to play!

My stories:

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2011 :  02:05:06  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by entreri3478

I was absolutely shocked that "Wemics" were not on the list! ;)

Wemics are an underused race in the Realms.

Fortunately, I've instituted methods which will turn that around in my Realms by developing plans for a sustained wemic-nation in the Vilhon Reach, given the details in that region-specific tome and info from DRAGON #157.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2011 :  02:06:34  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well, since I started using Beznik seriously in-game, I'm really enjoying gnomes, too. That cantankerous little wizard clutz is so much fun to play!

Gnomes are my favourite player-character race in most campaign settings. They're among my first race-type for character choices, and they've a more defined presence in my Realms. In fact, the whole "Forgotten Folk" trend that ran through most of the earlier editions of the FORGOTTEN REALMS with respect to the gnomish people is, essentially, a "forgotten" trend itself now.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2011 :  04:33:53  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Gnomes? Shouldn't they stay as garden ornaments?

Go to Top of Page

Thelonius
Senior Scribe

Spain
730 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2011 :  08:53:03  Show Profile Send Thelonius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd go for halflings and gnomes. I got a nick for the small races (take out dwarves that simply I found them too "plane"). Always liked the behaviour of halflings, the ones I play use to act somehow like kenders (another race I love). Though I have to say that Frodo Baggins hurt a lot halfling publical image ... Always enjoyed playing my halfling char, a wizard traveler fond of pipe smoking...

"If you are to truly understand, then you will need the contrast, not adherence to a single ideal." - Kreia
"I THINK I JUST HAD ANOTHER NEAR-RINCEWIND EXPERIENCE"- Discworld's Death frustrated after Rincewind scapes his grasp... again.
"I am death, come for thee" - Nimbul, from Baldur's Gate I just before being badly spanked
Sapientia sola libertas est
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7969 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2011 :  09:31:52  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It seems like Gygax's halflings were clearly inspired by Tolkien's hobbits. I could understand halfling public image being hurt by the depiction of Frodo in some of the awful LotR cartoons of past eras, although the recent LotR (and forthcoming The Hobbit) movies depict hobbits in a moderately cool manner.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Drakul
Senior Scribe

USA
367 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2011 :  09:34:00  Show Profile Send Drakul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Voted other because Drow is not one of the options.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDonLNKf6_KA9Qlal3Qu3zQ?view_as=subscriber
Go to Top of Page

Thelonius
Senior Scribe

Spain
730 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2011 :  09:57:43  Show Profile Send Thelonius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

It seems like Gygax's halflings were clearly inspired by Tolkien's hobbits. I could understand halfling public image being hurt by the depiction of Frodo in some of the awful LotR cartoons of past eras, although the recent LotR (and forthcoming The Hobbit) movies depict hobbits in a moderately cool manner.

Perhaps though I find Frodo really annoying in the movies far more than in the book, Sam, Merry and Pippin on the other side are by far my fav chars in that saga...

"If you are to truly understand, then you will need the contrast, not adherence to a single ideal." - Kreia
"I THINK I JUST HAD ANOTHER NEAR-RINCEWIND EXPERIENCE"- Discworld's Death frustrated after Rincewind scapes his grasp... again.
"I am death, come for thee" - Nimbul, from Baldur's Gate I just before being badly spanked
Sapientia sola libertas est

Edited by - Thelonius on 10 Sep 2011 09:58:07
Go to Top of Page

Lunarbeams
Acolyte

43 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2012 :  18:03:37  Show Profile Send Lunarbeams a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My favorite char races are the elves. I like the sub-races and simply because some are more formal and rigid than others. All my chars tend to be eccentric and go against the grain of what is expected their races.

"Software are easy to solve because they do not have egos. "
Go to Top of Page

Alruane
Senior Scribe

USA
434 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2013 :  08:45:57  Show Profile Send Alruane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I chose elves, although I have many other options. But elves draw to me most and I to them due to their aptitude for magic. Their natural affinity for it, and how they feel with more intensity than other races. Just draws me to them more so than other races.

" I wonder if you are destined to be forgotten. Will your life fade in the shadow of greater beings?"
~Joneleth Irenicus

"Wisdom? My dear boy, wisdom is knowing that you do not know everything. Wisdom is realizing, a wise man ALWAYS has questions. Not answers."

~Alruane
Go to Top of Page

Plaguescarred
Learned Scribe

Canada
190 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2013 :  09:52:16  Show Profile Send Plaguescarred a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I always preferred halflings and dwarves, so the stout folk got my vote!

Yan
Playtester

Edited by - Plaguescarred on 17 Nov 2013 09:52:47
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2014 :  03:23:44  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just voted half-elf, but I also love elves, drow, humans and dwarves.

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2014 :  04:03:15  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Humans. I did enjoy a few minotaur characters as well.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000