Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Table Top D&D Directory
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Wulf Waters
Acolyte

Australia
40 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2010 :  17:43:13  Show Profile  Visit Wulf Waters's Homepage Send Wulf Waters a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Does anyone know if the is an online list or directory of D&D groups? I've been rping for 6 years now, and I'm keen to play some tabletop but I don't know where to look to find a group.

idilippy
Senior Scribe

USA
417 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2010 :  18:43:22  Show Profile Send idilippy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Try pen and paper games, they have a map with the location of everyone who is part of their site, which you can use to look for games in your area. I tried finding a game through it once and while it didn't work out for me, all the games I found were full or too far away, a lot of people have said it works for them.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2010 :  19:04:59  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've not been to their forum in a very long time, but I believe the WotC forums used to have a section for people seeking games.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2010 :  00:15:03  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I've not been to their forum in a very long time, but I believe the WotC forums used to have a section for people seeking games.

I think loremaster.org does as well, but I'm working from old info there. You might want to check up on that.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7975 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2010 :  01:27:59  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
lol, craigslist, in my area at least.

D&D players speak a unique cant (a dialect of gamerspeak) by which they can usually identify each other and openly convey "secret" meanings within normal conversation. And D&D players seem to commonly converge at educational institutions and computer labs.

Examples of gamerspeak: "I'll be back in 2d6 minutes", "I rolled a twenty on that report", "Yeah I made my Saving Throw against Bad Movie".

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2010 :  02:00:16  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arik

lol, craigslist, in my area at least.

D&D players speak a unique cant (a dialect of gamerspeak) by which they can usually identify each other and openly convey "secret" meanings within normal conversation. And D&D players seem to commonly converge at educational institutions and computer labs.

Examples of gamerspeak: "I'll be back in 2d6 minutes", "I rolled a twenty on that report", "Yeah I made my Saving Throw against Bad Movie".

Don't forget the Monty Python and the Holy Grail quotes!

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Wulf Waters
Acolyte

Australia
40 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2010 :  07:18:08  Show Profile  Visit Wulf Waters's Homepage Send Wulf Waters a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Awesome, thanks guys. I hope to get back to you with a successful result.
Go to Top of Page

Wulf Waters
Acolyte

Australia
40 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2010 :  12:07:16  Show Profile  Visit Wulf Waters's Homepage Send Wulf Waters a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I failed on finding anyone close enough. What about an online one? Would that be a good place to start?
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7975 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2010 :  12:56:18  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Play-by-post is a popular RPG format. It offers some advantages over traditional table play:

• Easy accessibility to pools of players and DMs, far more than could be found in any given locality.

• Great convenience for all participants.

• Handing out maps and props is as easy as posting a link.

• You can have private conversations with any/all of the characters "outside" of play.

• Also, disadvantages. Chiefly:

• The pace of the game is substantially slower. Events are often be resolved at a leisurely, almost ponderous pace. A simple quick encounter might take many hours or days or sometimes weeks to play out, as participation is required by players who are rarely logged on simultaneously (many people log on sporadically, and many divide their focus onto other tasks while they're playing).

• It is common for players to drop out of such long-term campaigns. For all sorts of reasons (maybe they think the game sucks, maybe they can't afford their internet bill, maybe they just don't have time). Often without giving any advance warning or notice. Gameplay might be suspended indefinitely if there is uncertainty about whether or not a missing player will return.

• In most cases you really don't know who you're talking to on the internet. Age, gender, background, and interests can never be assumed ... whatever information is offered might be true or untrue, you just never know. This makes it a bit harder to interact and establish a friendly rapport since there's less "feel" for who the other person is.

• All your players have instant access to encyclopedic knowledge of every digitized fact in the modern world. This is both good and bad. Very bad if they can access the adventure you're playing them through. They can also have entirely unsupervised OOC conversations without your knowledge.

• You can the eliminate some of the disadvantages (and advantages) if you play online through a real-time interface like a webchat or instant messenger application. There are even add-ons and bots which support automated (uncheatable) dice rolling, timers, combat calculators, and other functions useful for conducting RPG sessions. Of course you want to make the most out of everybody's time by keeping things moving, but you don't want to penalize players who have limited internet connections, typing speeds, English knowledge, or attention spans (when distracted by the eternal wonders of the internet).

Before you ask - I don't know where to find such players, I don't know which apps or add-ons are best; I just know a fair number of people play this way.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 17 Dec 2010 13:11:47
    Go to Top of Page

Wulf Waters
    Acolyte

Australia
    40 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2010 :  14:25:46  Show Profile  Visit Wulf Waters's Homepage Send Wulf Waters a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    Definition: Arik - A fountain of people friendly, yet comprehensive and useful explanations.

Thank you.
    Go to Top of Page
      Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
     New Topic  New Poll New Poll
     Reply to Topic
     Printer Friendly
    Jump To:
    Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
    Snitz Forums 2000