Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Movie - The Sorcerer's Apprentice
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2010 :  14:41:12  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I just want to say that I saw this movie and I have rarely seen magic done properly in Hollywood (or at least the way I visualize it based on D&D ). The visual effects and the way they make magic work in this movie is amazing. Props to the guys who made this film. Recommended for all fellow scribes.

And I hope I put this on the right shelf

Mod Edit: Found this scroll floating in the ether.

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023

Edited by - The Sage on 06 Dec 2010 15:02:39

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7974 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2010 :  17:12:48  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Haven't seen that movie in decades ... probably worth another look. I liked the magic shown in Willow and DragonHeart, even Krull.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Elfinblade
Senior Scribe

Norway
377 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2010 :  17:17:52  Show Profile Send Elfinblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arik

Haven't seen that movie in decades ... probably worth another look. I liked the magic shown in Willow and DragonHeart, even Krull.

Hmm. Isnt The Sorcerer's Apprentice a fairly new movie? It came out this year i believe. And yeah, Willow rocks :)
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2010 :  17:23:51  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think he had it confused with the Mickey version of the story- in Fantasia.

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7974 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2010 :  17:56:23  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I believe the movie I was thinking about is called Dragonslayer ... that is, the small part of the movie concerned with the story of a sorcerer and his apprentice, said to be partly inspired by Mickey's sodden composition in Fantasia.

Ladyhawke also had a little interesting magic. Lord of the Rings hardly needs any explanation. One of my all-time movie magic favourites is shown here.

This Sorcerer's Apprentice looks appealing, yet I'll wait until I can get the DVD (right after Tron, lol).

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4430 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2010 :  18:14:32  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Are those the skeletons from Jason and the Argonauts? lol
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2010 :  18:31:46  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't know that Ladyhawke counts as magic- there was just a curse from a bishop who made a pact with the devil.... As to Dragonslayer, thet part was actually a large part of the plot- not so much a telling of the Fantasia composition, (Which actually DID tell the same story in musical form, much like Petand the Wolf, and was written long before Mickey took the role!) as it was a way for the aging sorcerer to make the journey to slay the dragon.

Willow, as an aside, does actually use a few "spells" taken from the Gaellic language, and Dragonslayer uses a couple of very real spells in Latin (The incantation he uses to bury the dragon in its lair toward the beginning is actually an old spell to SUMMON one!! I even have the translation written down somewhere, and also printed in one of my esoteric study books....)

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7974 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2010 :  18:40:58  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, Ladyhawke is a bit of a stretch. So is Highlander, Conan, 300, The Matrix, or a thousand sword-and-sorcery flicks which loosely fit into using at least a little of some kind of "magic", even though most of these aren't really fantasy genre and definitely don't involve "normal" spellcasting. Alladin had tons of garish magic, and is a great movie, but I would hardly say it used the magic "well". To be honest, cartoons and TV series usually depict magic far better than Hollywood does; some of my friends swear by Buffy, Angel, and Merlin, though I hardly watch them (I don't actually watch TV at all, really, I choose to not even own one).

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 06 Dec 2010 18:45:35
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2010 :  18:46:30  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Merlin and the buffy/angel series were well-done magically, and used RL style workings for their versions of magic. Which is only fitting, since Buffy had an actual witch in the show (Well, willow was SUPPOSED to be a Wiccan, and it did stand up pretty well against the real practces.) and Merlin (the movie, not the show) was based loosely on Druidic practices. my other fave in that department is Charmed- at least the first three or four seasons. After that it veered waaay off the more realistic view of magic.

My stories:

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2010 :  00:33:46  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree, Alisttair. 'Tis one of the best in decades. And it tried to explain magic in the context of science, and vice versa, which was very rarely done in movies.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2010 :  13:19:28  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dennis

I agree, Alisttair. 'Tis one of the best in decades. And it tried to explain magic in the context of science, and vice versa, which was very rarely done in movies.

Yes that is another part which I found very well done.

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2010 :  19:00:24  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just wish someone would give Nicholas Cage a part he is actually suited for. Its pretty-much the only reason I haven't seen this yet.

Ghostrider, anyone? {insert vomiting smiley here}

Not as bad as Daredevil, or so I've heard (avoiding that one like a WSE FR novel).

The only thing I can offer by way of contribution to the thread is that I saw Batman: Under the Red Hood the other day, and it was great, if you are a Batman fan.

Not a fan of bringing people back to life in comics, but it was still very well done (never saw an animated Joker approach Heath Ledger's version before - kudos).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 07 Dec 2010 19:01:17
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2010 :  19:18:07  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I thought Cage was pretty good in it, actually. Certainly better than Ghost Rider, though I liked that too. Then again, I'm a Marvel fan-girl, so take that as you will. Daredevil didn't really strike me as bad- just not quite what it could have been. Electra was the best thing about it, it's just too bad they utterly slaughtered her movie.

On Batman, I really didn't like Heath Ledger's Joker, to be honest. I thought he veered too far into the creepy, and not enough of the fun-loving, kill-em-with-a-smile Joker I have always loved. He's at his best when cackling gleefully over his latest psychotic scheme, not philosophizing while drawing smily faces on himself with a razor. I have not liked the last two Batman flicks at all, simply because they have lost too much of hte feel that made Tim Burton's two installments so much crazy fun. IMO, Nicholson hit the nail on the head. Ledger missed it by a mile.

MT, you might like SA for the interesting take on magic, if nothing else. the effects are amazing, which is expected in a movie like this, but what really got me was the use of Tesla coils. Astounding stuff!! And integrated so well into the premise of the magic, too. You really micht want to sit down and watch it now that it's on dvd. I'd recommend some popcorn and a friend or two, though- it's a fun movie!!

My stories:

Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2010 :  19:30:40  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alystra Illianniis
On Batman, I really didn't like Heath Ledger's Joker, to be honest. I thought he veered too far into the creepy, and not enough of the fun-loving, kill-em-with-a-smile Joker I have always loved. He's at his best when cackling gleefully over his latest psychotic scheme, not philosophizing while drawing smily faces on himself with a razor. I have not liked the last two Batman flicks at all, simply because they have lost too much of hte feel that made Tim Burton's two installments so much crazy fun. IMO, Nicholson hit the nail on the head. Ledger missed it by a mile.

I've heard this before, but the ironic thing is that Heath is the closest to the actual comic book Joker than any other rendition. The comic book Joker is the one that beat Jason Todd to within an inch of death with a crowbar, then blew him up. He's also the Joker that, during No Man's Land, held an infant hostage with a gun to its head while talking to Chief Gordan's new bride--then blowing HER head out. The Joker that shot and paralyzed Barbara Gordon, not because she was was Batgirl, but merely because she answered the door when he kidnapped her father. Joker stopped his crazy schemes in the late seventies, then turned into a insane psycho killer that no one can predict what he'll do.

Anyway, that's enough of my love-fest on that.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2010 :  19:32:18  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, I plan on watching it, just as soon as it comes to HBO or Cinemax (why pay twice for what I will already get?)

Tesla Coils, eh? Seems like someone has been reading my notebooks.... I'll have to watch it now to see how much it cleaves to my own theories above electromagnetic fields and the paranormal.

Off-Topic: Comics
I didn't 'hate' Ghostrider - I hated a middle-aged Nicholas Cage playing the part, because his ego was too large for him to realize he was ALL WRONG for it. Even in his youth, he had the wrong look. Loved Sam Elliot as the original GR - that dude is awesome.

As for the Joker, I have never seen a cartoon character beat someone to death (rather graphically) with a crowbar before. THAT is how the Joker is supposed to be portrayed - he is a PSYCHOPATH. I actually winced every time the crowbar made contact.

Jack Nicholson's portrayal was the old-school Joker, and was appropriate for that version. Like everything else in comics, the Joker has gotten much 'darker' in the past couple of decades, and Ledger's Joker was much closer to today's version (although not quite funny enough - he played it too serious - see the movie I mentioned above - that was spot-on).

Edit: Ack! Ashe beat me to it!

Edit2 Did you catch the end of crisis, Ashe, when Lex Luthor says "You know the biggest mistake you made? you didn't let the joker play!" {BLAM!} Lex Luthor does not fear Superman, but he is wary as hell of the Joker.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 08 Dec 2010 00:03:57
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2010 :  20:02:05  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, that was a terrific scene... Alexander Luthor playing with the universe and all it's heroes and villains, except the Joker.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2010 :  20:02:55  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree, MT- he WAS too serious- which is precisely why I didn't like his portayal. Nicholson was just as psychotic in his own way (Shining, anyone?!) but still managed to pull off the Joker's long-standing maniacal sense of humor. Yes, he has killed people for no reason, but he usually (and has admitted it) does so only when it's FUNNY. He's even chastised Carnage in a cross-over for being a simple butcher. "Anyone can butcher. It takes class to do it with STYLE!" His own words. That's how I have always seen him. The cartoon version from the 90's was one of the best, even if it WAS sanitized for TV. Psycho as heck, but still very "fun". (Come on- Joker fish?!) I can imagine what that might have been like if it had been on cable or something (CN's Adult Swim, maybe?) without the squeaky clean image. Add a little more blood and creepiness, and that's the perfect Joker IMO.

Ghost Rider was not bad, but yeah, he wasn't quite right for that. Loved Sam Elliot just as much as you did.

My stories:

Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2010 :  20:09:41  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"Laughing Fish" was actually a straight up adaptation of a story published in Detective Comics #475-476 way back in 1977 (and was one of the last of Joker's "schemes").

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2010 :  20:11:10  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

I just wish someone would give Nicholas Cage a part he is actually suited for. Its pretty-much the only reason I haven't seen this yet.

Not many movies casting for inanimate objects. He would make a great victim of a medusa

And I like the way Jim Butcher handles the use of Magic in his Dresden Files novles.

P.S. Sam Elliot was great as the original rider......I think he would be a Kick A## Khelben Arunsun with his presence.(though not sure how he look with a full beard!)

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963

Edited by - The Red Walker on 07 Dec 2010 20:15:48
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2010 :  00:11:20  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The only thing I can offer by way of contribution to the thread is that I saw Batman: Under the Red Hood the other day, and it was great, if you are a Batman fan.
My only complaint with that film was the fact that Kevin Conroy didn't provide the voice of Batman.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2010 :  00:14:31  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

quote:
Originally posted by Alystra Illianniis

I've heard this before, but the ironic thing is that Heath is the closest to the actual comic book Joker than any other rendition. The comic book Joker is the one that beat Jason Todd to within an inch of death with a crowbar, then blew him up. He's also the Joker that, during No Man's Land, held an infant hostage with a gun to its head while talking to Chief Gordan's new bride--then blowing HER head out. The Joker that shot and paralyzed Barbara Gordon, not because she was was Batgirl, but merely because she answered the door when he kidnapped her father. Joker stopped his crazy schemes in the late seventies, then turned into a insane psycho killer that no one can predict what he'll do.

Anyway, that's enough of my love-fest on that.

Indeed. The Killing Joke is a superb example of just how evil the Joker can be.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2010 :  00:16:47  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Off-Topic: Comics
I didn't 'hate' Ghostrider - I hated a middle-aged Nicholas Cage playing the part, because his ego was too large for him to realize he was ALL WRONG for it. Even in his youth, he had the wrong look. Loved Sam Elliot as the original GR - that dude is awesome.
Ghost Rider had a lot of problems. The easiest to pinpoint was the fact that the writers attempted to ineffectually blend the mythos of both GRI and GRII, along with some of the past material supporting the Ghost Riders of legend.

And I'm still disappointed with the fact that the Johnny Blaze/Ghost Rider concept used in the film, was actually more Dan Ketch/Ghost Rider II. And a little sprinkling of lore about Zarathos and such would've been nice as well.

Edited by - The Sage on 08 Dec 2010 00:17:37
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2010 :  00:31:41  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
C'mon... it could be worse... he could be Keanu Reaves...

I'm fairly sure the guy is just some robot that replaced the original back when he was time traveling (Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure - the last good movie he did).

The fact that I still like The Matrix despite him shows how damn good that movie was (and his non-personality actually worked there). If only they had stopped after the first movie...

I liked the new Alice in Wonderland (it was a clever spin on 'The Underlands'), but I wouldn't take a child to see it - that queen gives me nightmares. Johnny Depp was scarey-good, as usual (I wonder if he is that strange in RL). My favorite version will always be the British one, though, with Dudley Moore and Peter Sellers. That's just classic-goodness, right there.

Edited by - Markustay on 08 Dec 2010 00:35:45
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7974 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2010 :  01:20:46  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually I rather liked the Tin Man version of Alice in Wonderland. Largely, perhaps, due to Zooey Deschanel being just so darned cute*. Of course Kathleen Robertson (wearing her tight metal corsets) has a certain charming appeal as well. But eye-candy and mediocre budget aside, I found it was a fairly original and engaging (if patently predictable) story.

* She has the ideal 1:1 Face to Bang ratio, and I'll ask my fellow scribes to kindly keep their impure thoughts to themselves.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 08 Dec 2010 01:23:59
Go to Top of Page

Tyrant
Senior Scribe

USA
586 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2010 :  01:30:36  Show Profile  Visit Tyrant's Homepage Send Tyrant a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I thought Sorcerer's Apprentice was an entertaining movie. For those comparing it to Fantasia, there is a scene that is a pretty clear homage when the main character decides to let the mops and brooms do the cleaning for him. Cage also wasn't bad in the movie. Then again, I never got the dislike of Cage that seems to show up a lot. For those Ghost Rider fans out there, a sequel (with Cage) is in the works. As a sidenote, I liked Daredevil. I never got the dislike there either. Elektra I could understand the dislike, but I thought Daredevil was decent (not great). There is a moderately funny Star Wars joke. I saw it coming the moment the situation arose, but part of the laugh is that one of the characters has no clue what Star Wars is so he has no idea what the other character is talking about.

As for the Joker, I always liked the animated version with the best example being in Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker. Get the unrated version if you haven't seen it. What he does to Robin in that one would probably be considered worse than being beat to death by a lot of people and it explains why Bruce never talked about the Joker with Terry (future Batman). I miss the 90s animated Batman and Batman Beyond.

I agree that seeing the Joker take out Alexander Luthor was great.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me.
-The Sith Code

Teenage Sith zombies, Tulkh thought-how in the moons of Bogden had it all started? Every so often, the universe must just get bored and decide to really cut loose. -Star Wars: Red Harvest
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2010 :  01:41:23  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Actually I rather liked the Tin Man version of Alice in Wonderland. Largely, perhaps, due to Zooey Deschanel being just so darned cute*.
And it's for this reason that I'll now be heading off to the local DVD store to find the aforementioned series.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2010 :  01:44:40  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tyrant

I miss the 90s animated Batman and Batman Beyond.
Did you know that DC has just published a comic mini-series for Batman Beyond, now that he's part of the main-stream DC continuity [thanks, largely, to his brief appearance in Batman #700]? They've also got an on-going series planned, starting early next year.

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7974 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2010 :  01:49:03  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's more steampunky than magicky, though, Sage.

I'm surprised nobody's mentioned any Willy Wonka yet (outside of sig quotes). Definitely magical (in both versions), though of course not at all concerned with "how the magic works or is explained".

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2010 :  01:52:28  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

It's more steampunky than magicky, though, Sage.
That certainly doesn't bother me. I'm a firm proponent of both. Plus, judging from some imagery I've found online, it's somewhat visually attractive, which is also a plus for me.

Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2010 :  01:55:11  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Y'know, Sage, I hear so much from DC fans about that one issue, and I'll be the first to admit that it was Joker at his most evil. But then there are so many other Joker tales where he is not only evil/psycho, but insanely funny and ironic. But that's what sets him apart to me. He will do something nasty just because HE CAN, but he prefers an audience of some sort for his murderous pranks- preferably done in some totally bizarre and sickly humorous way. Beating Robin(Drake) half to death doesn't seem nearly so much a gauge of his character to me as blowing up CARNAGE for being a simple shredding-machine type of killer! Mind you, this is after they had joined forces to help each other defeat their respective archenemies (Bats and Spidey) during one of those odd universe-mixing cosmic events. Joker went to the trouble of breaking Carnage out of Ravencroft, and had some weird plan involving exploding jack-in-the-boxes (I think that's what it was, IIRC) and then turned on the symbiote when he just wanted to rip Bats to pieces after he had fallen into their trap. And the reason was that he was simply annoyed by Carnage's lack of style and panache in the kill. Says a lot about how he thinks, to me. Even in more recent tales, he still retains that sense of perverse humor, like in The Dark Knight Returns (the comic, not the movie). He takes on Bats in a tunnel of love, and even in the middle of the fight finds some absurd irony in their battleground, and suggests that it says something about their relationship- with typical Joker humor, of course. Even when he dies in it, he's still got a smile and a quip or two. And yeah, I have read the comic version of the Laughing Fish story. It was even funnier then, because he actually killed the poor slob from the patent office. In a tank of sharks, no less. In the cartoon one, Bats saved him. Of course.

Hmm, Tin Man- great movie, Arik! Had almost forgotten about that one. I stayed away from the Johnny Depp version of Wonka (too freakish) but I am curious about his Wonderland. Is it good? I keep thinking that there is some good D&D fodder in that story- the mushroom, the potion, the talking flowers and the caterpillar and Cheshire Cat.... Seems like one could make a great adventure out of some of that stuff. Throw in the Queen of Hearts as a villain, and you've got some fun gaming!

My stories:

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7974 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2010 :  02:09:53  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
lol, Alystra, my players have already had far more than enough of a gulping freakish experience through Alice in Wonderland à la D&D (wizards download).

I haven't yet seen Depp's Wonderland. His portrayal of Willy Wonka is, um ... strange. Very, very different from Gene Wilder's portrayal of the character, and Depp's Wonka initially appears hollow and generic, but it also grows on you and (considered independently) is quite brilliantly done - in my opinion. The new-style oompa loompas are simply fantastic and the musical scores are certainly much superior.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 08 Dec 2010 02:12:00
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000