Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Forgotten Realms NPC Generator
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 12

Rhewtani
Senior Scribe

USA
508 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2011 :  14:40:55  Show Profile Send Rhewtani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Guess I didn't finish my sentence, but yeah - if you've read the novel (I've only skimmed and scanned) then you'll know him best! :)
Go to Top of Page

Rhewtani
Senior Scribe

USA
508 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2011 :  20:02:26  Show Profile Send Rhewtani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How's it going Diff?
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4426 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2011 :  04:18:36  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey buddy,

I completly forgot about your request, sorry man. I've been dealing with a lot of RL stuff and then this post got buried. I'm off all day Monday and Tuesday, so I'll write up a quick verison and see if I can have it posted by Tuesday night, that cool?
Go to Top of Page

Rhewtani
Senior Scribe

USA
508 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2011 :  14:51:19  Show Profile Send Rhewtani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It would be awesome - I was just checking in with ya. I know how RL stuff can be. :)

Hope everything's ok.
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4426 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2011 :  15:40:00  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rhewtani

It would be awesome - I was just checking in with ya. I know how RL stuff can be. :)

Hope everything's ok.

Thanks for understanding. Things are fine, my wife and I are looking for a house to buy and the process is rough. My off days are all about touring houses, lol. I should have Marcus up tomorrow.

Edited by - Diffan on 07 Mar 2011 15:57:11
Go to Top of Page

Rhewtani
Senior Scribe

USA
508 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2011 :  13:36:26  Show Profile Send Rhewtani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Any chance I could have him for Wednesday?

EDIT: And, since you're looking for a house - you should tune in to "Holmes Inspection" on HGTV. Should really make you good and nervous about the purchase. :)

Edited by - Rhewtani on 14 Mar 2011 13:37:50
Go to Top of Page

Rhewtani
Senior Scribe

USA
508 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2011 :  14:02:39  Show Profile Send Rhewtani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Or in two weeks. The game got bumped.
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4426 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2011 :  15:26:48  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey! yea, I can do that. sorry I got really bogged down on my two days off and I have to say house hunting sucks. Really really sucks. I can't believe people actually like putting themselves through this *ugh!!*

Anyways, ok I got a little bit of the guy written up, but I haven't put it on the computer yet. Basically it's a Pathfinder version of a Evocation wizard 10/Red Wizard 4 or CR 14. He's human and works alot with Fire-based spells.

I took the liberty of utilizing feats from Complete Mage and Complete Arcane because those options aren't granted using total Pathfinder material. Also took some spells from there as well, which I'll note in his stat write-up.

Again, sorry for taking so long and getting back to you. I've been able to devote just a tad bit here and there on this forum .

Go to Top of Page

Rhewtani
Senior Scribe

USA
508 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2011 :  21:36:56  Show Profile Send Rhewtani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
::poke::

Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4426 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2011 :  15:50:21  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's the DMPC for our E6 campaign (and thanks to Gaulf for the Wisdom Domain, i'll be sure to put it to good use).

Eberk Ramnaheim; CR 1
Male shield dwarf cleric of Moradin 1
LG Medium humanoid (dwarf)
Init +0; Senses darkvision 60 ft.; Listen +5, Spot +5
Aura good (faint)
Languages Common, Dwarven
===============================================================================
AC 17, touch 10, flat-footed 17; +4 agasint Giants
(+5 armor, +2 shield)
hp 9 (1 HD)
Resist stability (+4 against bull rush, trip, and disarm attacks)
Fort +3 (+5 agasint poison), Ref +0, Will +6 (+2 against spells and spell-like effects)
Speed 20 ft. (4 squares)
Melee warhammer* +4 (1d8+3/x3)
Ranged light hammer +0 (1d4+3/x2)
Base Atk +0; Grp +3
Special Actions protective ward (minor action; +1 to saves/ 1 minute) turn undead 8/day (+1, 2d6+2; 1st)
Cleric Spells Prepared: (CL 1st)
1st—bless, divine favor, sanctuary
0 (orisons)—cure minor wounds, detect magic, light
Domain spells. Domains: Protection, Wisdom
Abilities Str 16, Dex 10, Con 12, Int 10, Wis 18, Cha 12
SQ stonecunning (PH 14)
Feats Extra Turning
Skills Concentration +3, Craft (armorsmithing) +2, Craft (blacksmithing) +2, Craft (weaponsmithing) +3, Diplomacy +3, Heal +4, Knowledge (arcana) +5, Knowledge (history) +4, Knowledge (religion) +6, Knowledge (the planes) +4, Profression (miner) +4, Profession (smithy) +4, Spellcraft +3
Possession chainmail, heavy steel shield, warhammer, light hammer x5, adventuring gear, silver holy symbol.

Edited by - Diffan on 01 Apr 2012 21:31:30
Go to Top of Page

Farrel
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
239 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2011 :  16:21:15  Show Profile Send Farrel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Diffan

And here's a bad-guy NPC for a low-level campaign. A nasty Fey'ri.

Dreythalos Dlardrageth; CR 5
Male Fey’ri duskblade 4
NE Medium outsider (native)
Init +3; Senses darkvision 60 ft.; Listen +2, Spot +2
Languages: Abyssal, Common, Draconic, Elven, Gnoll, Goblin, Illuskan, Sylvan.
===========================================================================
AC 20, touch 14, flat-footed 17
(+6 armor, +3 Dex, +1 deflection)
hp 36 (4 HD); DR 5/bludgeoning or piercing
Immune sleep
Resist fire 10
Fort +6, Ref +5, Will +5 (+7 against enchantment spells and effects)
Speed 30 ft., fly 40 ft. (poor)
Melee +1 longsword +9 (1d8+4/19-20) or
Melee mwk dagger +8 (1d4+3/19-20)
Ranged mwk composite longbow (Str +3) +8 (1d8+3/x3)
Base Atk +4; Grp +7
Special Attacks arcane channeling
Duskblade Spells Known (CL4th):
1st (6/day)—blade of blood, cause fear (DC 16), chill touch (+7 melee touch, DC 16), shocking grasp (+7 melee touch), swift expedious retreat
0 (6/day)—acid splash (+9 ranged touch), disrupt undead, ray of frost (+9 ranged touch), touch of fatigue (+9 melee touch, DC 15)
Arcane Attunement (CL 4th):
8/day—dancing lights, detect magic, flare, ghost sound, and read magic
Spell-Like Abilities (CL 4th):
1/day—charm person (DC 13), clairaudience/clairvoyance, quickened darkness
Abilities Str 17, Dex 16, Con 13, Int 20, Wis 11, Cha 15
SQ arcane attunement, armored mage, fey’ri traits,;
Feats Combat Casting, Quickened Spell-Like Ability (darkness), Weapon Focus (longsword)
Skills Bluff +5, Climb +4, Concentration +8 (+12 casting defensively), Craft (weaponsmithing) +9, Decipher Script +7, Jump +6, Knowledge (arcana) +10, Knowledge (the plains) +8, Listen +2, Hide +4, Ride +3, Sense Motive +4, Search +5, Spellcraft +10, Spot +2, Swim -1
Possessions +1 longsword, mwk dagger, mwk composite longbow [Str +3] with 20 arrows, +1 elven chain of axe-blocking, ring of protection +1, cloak of resistance +1
Armored Mage (Ex): Dreythalos can cast spells while wearing light and medium armor and heavy shields with no arcane spell failure.
Arcane Channeling (Su): As a standard action, Dreythalos can cast any touch spells he knows and deliver the spell through his sword with a melee attack. Casting a spell in this manner does not provoke attacks of opportunity. The spell must have a casting time of 1 standard action or less.
Fey’ri Traits: Immune to sleep spells and effects, +2 racial bonus on Will saves against enchantment spells and effects, +2 racial bonus to Bluff, Hide, Listen, Search, and Spot checks, can cast Alter Self at will to assume any humanoid form, and can remain in that form indefinitely.

What a great low-level NPC villain indeed

I hope you don't mind Diffan but Dreythalos would be an interesting addition to my campaign...

If he has any associates, I'd love to see them
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4426 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2011 :  03:52:02  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Farrel

What a great low-level NPC villain indeed

I hope you don't mind Diffan but Dreythalos would be an interesting addition to my campaign...

If he has any associates, I'd love to see them

Feel free to use Dreythalos any way you see fit. As far as his assocites, he was sort of a one shot enemy that was supposed to be reoccuring enemy of the PCs. However, he was killed before he could really become a threat. I often fudge things in favor of enemies such as this, allowing him to escape and such but they really did well against him and did over 50 more damage than his HP allowed so I couldn't validate him getting out of that scenario lol.

If you need more associates, let me know what race/class-CR/level and I'll see what I can do for you.
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4426 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2011 :  04:02:55  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's another character with a weird combination of attacks and such.

ELISTAR BAELOR; CR 6
Male Moon elf warblade 6
CG Medium humanoid (elf)
Init +7; Senses low-light vision; Listen +4, Spot +4
Languages Chondathan, Common, Elven, Goblin
AC 20, touch 14, flat-footed 17; uncanny dodge
(+6 armor, +3 Dex, +1 deflection)
hp 54 (6 HD)
Immune sleep effects
Fort +8, Ref +8, Will +4 (+6 against enchantments)
Speed 20 ft. (4 squares); base 30 ft.
Melee +1 mighty whip-dagger (Str +3) +10/+5 (1d6+4/19-20) or
Melee +1 elven thinblade +10/+5 (1d8+4/18-20) or
Melee +1 mighty whip-dagger (Str +3) +8/+3 (1d6+4/19-20) and
+1 elven thinblade +8/+3 (1d8+6/18-20) with Improved Two-Weapon Fighting
Ranged +1 mighty whip-dagger (Str +3) +10/+5 (1d6+6/19-20) within 15-ft.
Base Atk +6; Grp +9
Maneuvers and Stances Known (IL 6th):
Stances—leading the charge (1st), punishing stance (1st)
Strikes—bone crusher (DC 16) (3rd), claw at the moon† (2nd), mountain hammer
(2nd), soaring raptor strike (3rd), wolf fang strike (1st)
Counters—moment of perfect mind (1st)
Disciplines: Diamond Mind, Stone Dragon, Tiger Claw
Readied maneuver
Abilities Str 16, Dex 16, Con 14, Int 15, Wis 12, Cha 8
SQ able to detect secret or concealed doors, battle ardor (+2), weapon aptitude
Feats Exotic Weapon Proficiency (whip), Improved Initiative, Improved Two-Weapon Fighting, Two-Weapon Fighting
Skills Balance +7, Climb +6, Concentration +10, Craft (weaponsmithing) +4, Intimidate +2, Jump +9, Knowledge (history) +4, Knowledge (local) +3, Martial Lore +5, Swim +2
Possessions +1 mighty whip-dagger (Str +3), +1 elven thinblade, +1 breastplate, +1 cloak of resistance, ring of protection +1, adventuring gear.

Sources Used: Arms and Equipment Guide, Dungeons Master's Guide, Pathfinder_OCG, Player's Handbook, Tome of Battle: Book of Nine Swords.

NOTES: 32-point buy and Elven Racial statistics from the Pathfinder_OCG

Edited by - Diffan on 24 Sep 2011 12:33:38
Go to Top of Page

Rhewtani
Senior Scribe

USA
508 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2011 :  14:19:42  Show Profile Send Rhewtani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Diff, now that you're back ... :) Could you put together a Shou magic user of 14th level? I'm putting together a relatively high level Shou pirate crew and I really want him to be a bit of a tide turner if the PCs confront them directly when they are dwelling on Hulburg's shoreline.
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4426 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2011 :  16:30:58  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hey Diff, now that you're back ... :) Could you put together a Shou magic user of 14th level? I'm putting together a relatively high level Shou pirate crew and I really want him to be a bit of a tide turner if the PCs confront them directly when they are dwelling on Hulburg's shoreline.

Shou human Wu Jen 14 sound good?
Go to Top of Page

Rhewtani
Senior Scribe

USA
508 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2011 :  18:31:28  Show Profile Send Rhewtani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Um ... yes? As before, I use Pathfinder rules with plenty of exceptions for 3.5 or if necessary 3E. I actually don't remember what system the latest Wu Jen is. All I really care about is that they show off some of what the Shou Empire is about. If you get a chance, take a look at my Shou Pirate thread, too! I'd love your insights.
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4426 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2011 :  12:43:17  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Um ... yes? As before, I use Pathfinder rules with plenty of exceptions for 3.5 or if necessary 3E. I actually don't remember what system the latest Wu Jen is. All I really care about is that they show off some of what the Shou Empire is about. If you get a chance, take a look at my Shou Pirate thread, too! I'd love your insights.

Going to stat the guy out tonight. I'll probably just roll 4d6 (dropping lowest die) for Stat generation. The newest Wu Jen is from Complete Arcane, which for the most part just needs Cantrips as At-Will and add in feats at every odd level and d6 Hit Die. Skills will be close as I can make it with the Pathfinder equivalent and Pathfinder Wizard.
Go to Top of Page

Rhewtani
Senior Scribe

USA
508 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2011 :  15:13:20  Show Profile Send Rhewtani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's weird the forums think you posted on 9/26, but this thread doesn't show it.
Go to Top of Page

Rhewtani
Senior Scribe

USA
508 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2011 :  18:46:34  Show Profile Send Rhewtani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How's it coming? :)
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4426 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2011 :  14:08:08  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

How's it coming? :)

Hey buddy, it's actually all finished. I posted him a while ago but something happend with my connection and it was lost. I've had very little time to post except at work every once in a while, but I'll see what I can do. Should be up pretty soon. The conversion for the Wu-Jen was fairly simple and made him straight Human Wu-Jen 14 for simplicity. The spells converted over nicely too. Sorry for the hold up.
Go to Top of Page

Rhewtani
Senior Scribe

USA
508 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2011 :  15:02:28  Show Profile Send Rhewtani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No prob! Yeah, it looked like you had posted and it got swiped by the internet foxes. Guess, I could've driven up and picked it up in person, you're not that far away. :)
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4426 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2011 :  15:16:01  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

No prob! Yeah, it looked like you had posted and it got swiped by the internet foxes. Guess, I could've driven up and picked it up in person, you're not that far away. :)

hehe, from Jersey? Maybe you can hitch a ride with my boss on Monday when he comes back from the Giant's game

I'll try to put it up tonight for ya
Go to Top of Page

Rhewtani
Senior Scribe

USA
508 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2011 :  18:21:08  Show Profile Send Rhewtani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nah, Newark - Delaware, but working in Springfield, PA.
Go to Top of Page

MalariaMoon
Learned Scribe

324 Posts

Posted - 01 Jan 2012 :  05:10:47  Show Profile  Visit MalariaMoon's Homepage Send MalariaMoon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Diffan - I've always found this thread useful. I have a question about skills. For the 3.5 character builds are the skill values solely skill ranks, or are they final scores which take into account ability modifiers, bonuses from feats or magical items and armour check penalties?

Many thanks
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4426 Posts

Posted - 01 Jan 2012 :  11:16:32  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The skills are ranks, ability modifiers, and any other property all added together.
Go to Top of Page

MalariaMoon
Learned Scribe

324 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2012 :  07:02:20  Show Profile  Visit MalariaMoon's Homepage Send MalariaMoon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Diffan!
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2012 :  18:58:11  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Diffan

So.........

ideas, requests, positive/negative responses?

Would you rather see a Monster write-up for 4E charactes (like the Tiefling) or the character builder write-up (like A.R.T.U.S)?

More melee style guys? More arcane? Different classes or not as popular classes (Hexblade, Warmage, Scout)?

Just lookin' for feedback.

This is awesome, Diffan! I loved the NPC stat blocks at WotC, and I think I copied into plain text all of the characters that were complete at the time the Edition Wars erupted... the less said about that time, the better. Anyway, this is great! For my purposes, 3.5 and Pathfinder work equally well.

So... the WotC character builder supports 3e, 3.5, and 4e? Or do you have different programs for 3.x and 4e?

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2012 :  19:11:49  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just think it's amazing Diffan is so fluent in both the 3E and 4E rules systems.

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).
Go to Top of Page

Imp
Learned Scribe

231 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2012 :  19:26:40  Show Profile Send Imp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Grenemyer

I just think it's amazing Diffan is so fluent in both the 3E and 4E rules systems.

And PF!

[url=http://expensiveautomobile.com/2009-bmw-3-series-uk-version/]2009 bmw 3 series uk version[/url] [url=http://expensiveautomobile.com/2009-bmw-3-series-touring-uk-version/]2009 bmw 3 series touring uk version[/url]
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4426 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2012 :  21:27:49  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks guy, your kind words are appreciated.

Jakk, to answer your question: No, the Character Builder only created 4E characters. The write-up for A.R.T.U.S (warforged warlord) was done with the character summary that I cut'n'pasted here. All the other characters are done line-by-line "old school" lol. That and I get it all mostly down on paper first and go from there.

To get the stat-blocks right, well it took a lot of work looking at various ones over the course of 3E's history. At first, they looked like one giant run-on sentence. Like the character blocks in a lot of early 3E Forgotten Realms supplements, they look like lines and lines of stuff that you actually have to read to grab what you need (like grapple, Alignment, a feat). As classes progressed, it go more difficult to codify what's a Special Attack, Special Quality, Spell-Like Ability and what should just be subsumed into the character mechanics (like bonuses to Skills). I believe Pathfinder has a charater builder program from Hero Labs or something, but you have to pay for it and I don't play that much Pathfinder.

What I'd love to be able to do is put load up the images for my 4E monsters (gotta love the Calzone Golem) but the site doesn't allow pics to be demonstrated and I don't have another place to store them to be seen.

As for my next little project, I'm thinking of doing something silly and fun. My 3 year old daughter has been watching Disney's Beauty and the Beast recently (like 3 times a day) and my friend and I were critiquing it. He said Gaston (the antagonist) was clearly a Ranger because he hunts well and has great accuracy. I begged to differ, claiming he was easily a Fighter 4/Rogue 1 (he sure as heck Backstabbed the Beast in the movie) and he said a compromise of Ranger 4/Rogue 1 would be sorta fun. So now I think i'm going to stat him up using 3E and the Beast too (possibly a CR 6 Magical...Beast haha).
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 12 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000