Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Forgotten Realms NPC Generator
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 9

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
3290 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2010 :  17:03:59  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arik

Hmmm, shades are a bit overkill for this application. The Cult is more of a minor BBEG this time around, just another evil complexity in an already messy situation, almost a side-quest or red-herring sort of idea. Basically, I'm thinking about a small pack - the three leaders already mentioned, the strongest one in charge but the trio probably not working as cooperatively as they really should, plus their little army of several dozen cultists; plus their two "black ops" henchmen (to spy, harass, steal, assassinate, defame the PCs, and cause general Cultish mayhem as required), plus their small stealth teams; plus maybe an adult dragon or dracolich (with perhaps an undead Cult blaster riding bareback) to call upon.

Ok, well as far as Black Ops go, generic rogue/assassins work well, as I said. Lots of ranks in Hide/Move Silently or Stealth work great as do social skills such as Bluff, Diplomacy, and Sense Motive. Not only can they sneak around at try to kill your PCs from shadows, but they excell at talking to important people to slander their good name. Add in a dread necromancer for better Undead/Cult of the Dragon-esque flavor and style and it becomes really interesting.

quote:

I do any rules, all rules ... chances are I'd tweak a little bit to fit into the homebrew anyhow. These are only intended to be minor villains (but hey, you never know) so extensive workup is probably not needed because half of them will probably die off the first time they bash heads against the PCs.

This is as usually expected against PCs but the better mechanics offered, the greater resistance and often more fun they have fighting them .

quote:

Like I said, I'm really more interested in ideas and character hooks than fully developed NPC dossiers; though I'll be happy to use whatever you might want to offer. "My" NPC style has apparently become a little bit predictable to my players, so "other" NPC styles keep them off-balance and force me to experiment with new ideas and possibilities. Many of the NPCs you've generated here are interesting, and the three I've already used (again, with some very minor tweaks) proved quite interesting, er sorry, two of them kinda got killed though.

Not a problem. I'm sure the NPCs I've created get killed all the time. They're pretty much sacks of numbers and hit points for the PCs to hit, lol. I try to add in as much flavor as possible with those stats, but they're mostly there for the Plug-n-Play approach.

4E Realms = Great Taste, Less Filling.

"If WotC were to put out a box of free money, people would still complain how it was folded."
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
3290 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2010 :  15:18:40  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ilandeth Silverspear: Male moon elf ranger 3 (Shevarash)/ sorcerer 4/ Evereskan tomb guardian 5; CR 12; Medium humanoid (elf); HD 3d8+3 plus 4d4+4 plus 5d6+5; hp 57; Init +7; Spd 40 ft.; AC 23, touch 17, flat-footed 18; Base Atk +8; Grp +10; Atk +11 melee (1d10+4/19-20, +1 glassteel bastardsword) or +14 ranged (1d8+4/x3, +1 seeking composite longbow [Str +2]); Full Atk +11/+6 melee (1d10+4/19-20, +1 glassteel bastardsword) or +14/+9 ranged (1d8+4/x3, +1 seeking composite longbow [Str +2]) or +12/+12/+7 ranged (1d8+4/x3, +1 seeking composite longbow [Str +2] with Rapid Shot); SA Spells; SQ Combat style (archery), devoted pursuit, dodge bonus +2, elf traits, hawk familiar, familiar benefits (+3 to Spot in bright light, Alertness, empathic link, share spells), favored enemy (human +2), silent guardian, swift tracking, wild empathy; AL CG; SV Fort +6, Ref +13, Will +10 (+2 against enchantment spells and effects); Str 14, Dex 20, Con 12, Int 13, Wis 15, Cha 20.
Skills and Feats: Bluff +5, Climb +3, Concentration +11, Craft (alchemy) +10, Craft (bowmaking) +8, Decipher Script +3, Disable Device +2, Escape Artist +6, Gather Information +6, Handle Animal +6, Heal +3, Hide +12, Intimidate +5, Jump +4, Knowledge (arcana) +1, Knowledge (dungeoneering) +3, Knowledge (nature) +3, Listen +9, Move Silently +12, Open Lock +3, Profession (guide) +4, Ride +7, Search +4, Sense Motive +2, Sleight of Hand +5, Spot +7, Survival +7, Swim +2, Tumble +8, Use Rope +7; Alertness, Endurance, Many Shot, Practiced Spellcaster, Precise Shot, Point Blank Shot, Rapid Shot, Track.
Languages: Chondathan, Common, Draconic, Elven.
Devoted Pursuit (Ex): While pursuing a robber of an Evereskan tomb, Ilandeth retains his bonuses on Gather Information, Hide, Move Silently, and Survival checks from the sacred duty ability even while outside of Evereska. Ilandeth also retains the bonuses from that ability on attacks and damage rolls, but these apply only to attacks against the tomb robber.
Elven Traits: Immune to magic sleep effects, able to detect secret or concealed doors, +2 racial bonus on Listen, Search, and Spot checks.
Familiar: Ilandeth’s familiar is a hawk named Ivelliol. The familiar uses the better of its own and Ilandeth’s base save bonuses. The creature’s abilities and characteristics are summarized below:
Familiar Benefits: Ilandeth gains special benefits from having a familiar. This creature grants Ilandeth a +3 bonus on Spot checks in bright light (included in the above statistics).
Alertness (Ex): *Ivelliol grants its master Alertness as long as it is within 5 feet.
Empathic Link (Su): Ilandeth can communicate empathically with Ivelliol at a distance of up to 1 mile. He has the same connection to an item or a place that Ivelliol does.
Share Spells (Su): Ilandeth may have any spell he casts on himself also affect Ivelliol if the latter is within 5 feet at the time. He may also cast a spell with the target of “You” on Ivelliol.
Sacred Duty (Su): Ilandeth gains a +2 sacred bonus on Gather Information, Hide, Move Silently, and Survival checks made inside the region of Evereska. While inside an Evereskan tomb, Ilandeth gains a +2 sacred bonus on attack rolls and a +5 sacred bonus on damage rolls.
Silent Guardian (Ex): Ilandeth can attune himself to the looks and sounds of his surroundings, which takes 10 minutes of concentration. As long as he remains within 100 feet of the spot where he first attuned himself, he gains a +4 bonus to Hide, Listen, Move Silently, and Spot checks.
Swift Tracking (Ex): Ilandeth no longer takes a -5 penalty on Survival checks for tracking at his normal speed. Also, he only takes a -10 (instead of -20) penalty when moving up to twice his normal speed while tracking.
Sorcerer Spells Known (6/8/7/7/5 per day; caster level 12th, chooses spells as 9th; 10% spell failure): 0--caltrops, detect magic, electric jolt, flare (DC 15), light, message, read magic, silent portal; 1st--arrow mind, magic missile, persistent blade, ray of enfeeblement, shield; 2nd--mirror image, scorching ray, see invisibility, wraithstrike; 3rd--dispel magic, fly, lightning bolt (DC 18), 4th--dimension door, invisibility [greater].
Possessions: Tomb-Guard mail (+1 twilight elven chain of nimbleness), Sure Fire (+1 seeking composite longbow [Str +2]), Emerald Shard (+1 glassteel bastardsword), Ilanden’s cloak (cloak of Charisma +2), Bracer’s of Blinding Strike, Sandals of the Light Step, ring of protection +2, gloves of flame, Quiver of Mielikki.

Ivelliol: Hawk familiar; CR -; Tiny magical beast (augmented animal); HD 12; hp 28; Init +3; Spd 10 ft., fly 60 ft. (good); AC 19, touch 15, flat-footed 16; Base Atk +8; Grp -2; Atk +12 melee (1d4-2, talons); Full Atk +12/+7 melee (1d4-2, talons); Space/Reach 2-1/2 ft./0 ft.; SQ deliver touch spells, improved evasion, low-light vision, share spells; AL CG; SV Fort +8, Ref +12, Will +10; Str 6, Dex 18, Con 10, Int 7, Wis 14, Cha 6.
Skills and Feats: Listen +8, Spot +20; Weapon Finesse.
Deliver Touch Spells (Su): Ivelliol can deliver touch spells for Ilanden (see Familiars, page 52 of the Player’s Handbook).
Improved Evasion (Ex): If Ivelliol is exposed to any effect that normally allows it to attempt a Reflex saving throw for half damage, it takes no damage with a successful saving throw and half damage if the saving throw fails.

Sorces Used: PHB, MM, DMG, Magic Item Compendium, Player's Guide to Faerun, Spell Compendium, Champions of Valor.

"If WotC were to put out a box of free money, people would still complain how it was folded."
Go to Top of Page

Rhewtani
Senior Scribe

USA
508 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2010 :  16:42:00  Show Profile  Send Rhewtani an AOL message Send Rhewtani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I could use a roughly EL 10-12 (Pathfinder/3.5) Zhent Commander who uses two-handed weapons. Doesn't need to be optimized, but realmsing him up is key.
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
3290 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2010 :  16:54:06  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rhewtani

I could use a roughly EL 10-12 (Pathfinder/3.5) Zhent Commander who uses two-handed weapons. Doesn't need to be optimized, but realmsing him up is key.

Not a problem. Do you want Pathfinder classes, feats, etc...or v3.5? I know there is little difference, but it makes it easier for me to know what SRD to pull from .

Go to Top of Page

Rhewtani
Senior Scribe

USA
508 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2010 :  17:26:43  Show Profile  Send Rhewtani an AOL message Send Rhewtani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Go ahead and use pathfinder. I'm using pathfinder rules with FR books allowed to run a Pools of Darkness remake in 1350.

The only set in stone thing for me with this guy (and I figured I'd adjust the finished stats accordingly) is that he has a two-handed sword that was imbued with magic from Sylune's husband's staff. This was part of a PC's backstory that never worked out. It was supposed to have been imbured with the magic shortly after Aubrey's assassination by Sylune, but then soon after stolen by a Zhent officer. The PC was on a quest to reclaim it and then avenge his father's imprisonment by the new Lord of Shadowdale. That PC did not end up really happening, but I kept the side-quest in there.

Then the PCs gotten turned into mithral statues and missed out on assisting Khelben with that business. They did, however, run into the Zhent Commandant (an agent of Fzoul's) at the outpost near Phlan in 1340 and he provided them with surreptious help (by not executing them) and is going to show up again as a source of possible help in Hulburg while they try to solve it's Pool of Darkness issue.
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
3290 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2010 :  17:42:40  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok, well by going Pathfinder, I'm gonna go with the Cavalier class, maybe dipping 3 to 5 levels in Fighter. Also, there's this really nifty Web Enhancement for a Zhent Soldier which acts as a sub-class for the Fighter so I'll incorporate that as well. How does Fighter 5/Cavalier 6 work?

There are no Prestige Classes for Zhentarim Soldiers and not too many good ones for Two-Weapon Fighters in general so I'll just stick with the Base Classes.

As for the Sword, havning no prior knowledge of what Sylune's husband's staff did how exactly do you want the sword to be mechanically? I feel this weapon shouldn't be factored into the usual NPC weath by level, so around a +3 or +4 weapon? Maybe adding the keen property or even some spell-like abilities? Gaining magical properties from a staff, I could see the sword having some unique spells that can be used a limited number of times per day like scorching ray, touch of idiocy, or even something like darkness.

As for Ability Score, going with 32-point buy and all stats starting at 8.

Edited by - Diffan on 13 Dec 2010 17:44:50
Go to Top of Page

Rhewtani
Senior Scribe

USA
508 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2010 :  18:07:52  Show Profile  Send Rhewtani an AOL message Send Rhewtani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ha - ack. Aumry, not Aubrey.

Yeah, do the base mechanics (bonus and properties) within the constraints of NPC wealth. In additional it essentially had charges of a summon monster spell that would summon umber hulks. I would say Summon Monster VI (Umber Hulk Only)/1 charge or Summon Monster VII (1d3 Umber Hulks Only)/2 charges. 7 charges remaining (and it cannot be recharged).
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
3290 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2010 :  20:30:06  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Zhentarim Commander; CR 11
Male Damaran human fighter 5/ cavalier 6
LE Medium humanoid
Init +2; Senses Perception +1
Languages Common, Damaran
=========================================================================
AC 23, touch 11, flat-footed 23
(+10 armor, +2 shield, +1 deflection)
hp 82 (11 HD)
Fort +12, Ref +4, Will +5 (+6 against fear)
Speed 20 ft. (4 squares); base 30 ft.
Melee +1 keen greatsword +19/+14/+9 (2d6+11/17-20)
Ranged mwk composite longbow [Str +3]) +12/+7/+2 (1d8+3/x3)
Base Atk +11; CMB +16; CMD 26 (27 against maneuers used with heavy blades)
Atk Options Cleave, Outflank, Power Attack, cavalier's charge, challenge 2/day (+2 to damage)
Abilities Str 20, Dex 11, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 13, Cha 14
SQ armor training, banner, bravery +1, expert trainer, extended Intimidation, Order of the Black Fist*, weapon training (heavy blades)
Feats Cleave, Improved Buckler Defense, Mounted Combat, Outflank, Power Attack, Ride-by-Attack, Skill Focus (Intimidation), Spirited Charge, Thug, Trample, Vital Strike, Weapon Focus (greatsword), Weapon Specialization (greatsword)
Skills Bluff +6, Climb +8, Craft (weaponsmithing) +6, Diplomacy +8, Handle Animal +10, Intimidate +16, Knowledge (dungeoneering) +4, Knowledge (engineering) +4, Profession (soldier) +6, Ride +13, Sense Motive +9, Survival +8, Swim +2
Possessions: +2 fullplate, +1 mithral buckler, +1 keen greatsword, gauntlets of ogre strength, Zhentarim tabbard (acts as a vest of resistance +1) ring of protection +1

Sources Used: Pathfinder d20 SRD, Complete Warrior (for Imp. Buckler Defense feat), Champions of Valor Web Enhancement

Note: Order of the Black Fist work exactly like Order of the Cockatrice from the Advanced Player's Guide.

Edited by - Diffan on 14 Dec 2010 03:30:59
Go to Top of Page

Rhewtani
Senior Scribe

USA
508 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2010 :  03:51:40  Show Profile  Send Rhewtani an AOL message Send Rhewtani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, where's the zhent web enhancement?
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
3290 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2010 :  05:19:07  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Oh, where's the zhent web enhancement?

Suprising enough, in the Champions of Valor web enhancement PDF. There's a few sub-levels for Fighters that pertain to Zhent Soldiers.

Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
3290 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2010 :  03:48:59  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ny’thandael Steeleaf; CR 10
Male Moon elf fighter 2/ wizard 6/ bladesinger 2
CG medium humanoid (elf)
Init +4; Senses low-light vision; Listen +6, Spot +5
Languages Chondathan, Common, Draconic, Elven, Giant, Goblin, Sylvan
AC 24, touch 16, flat-footed 18; bladesong style, Dodge
(+6 armor, +4 Dex, +2 deflection, +2 misc.)
hp 58 (10 HD)
Immune sleep
Fort +8, Ref +11, Will +14 (+16 against enchantments)
Speed 30ft. (6 squares)
Melee +1 keen longsword of spell storing +13/+8 (1d8+4/17-20)
Ranged composite longbow (+2 Str) +11/+6 (1d8+2/x3)
Base Atk +7; Grp +9
Combat Gear wand of light (50 charges), scroll of web, fly, protection from arrows
Wizard spells prepared (CL 10th, choose spells as CL 7th)
4th—dimension door, polymorph
3rd—dispel magic, fly, ray of exhaustion (+11 ranged touch, DC 18)
2nd—blindness/deafness (DC 17), darkness, knock, Melf’s acid arrow (+11 ranged touch)
1st—alarm, feather fall, magic missile, ray of enfeeblement (+11 ranged touch), shield, spirit worm (DC 16)
0—detect magic, mage hand, prestigidation, touch of fatigue (+7 melee touch, DC 15)
Abilities Str 14, Dex 19, Con 12, Int 20, Wis 12, Cha 13
SQ armored mage, detect secret or concealed doors, lesser spellsong
Feats Discipline, Weapon Focus (longsword), Dodge, Spellcasting Prodigy, Combat Expertise, Empower Spell, Combat Casting, Practiced spellcaster, Scribe Scroll, Weapon Finesse
Skills Balance +10, Climb +4, Concentration +14 (+18 when casting defensively), Decipher Script +7, Hide +12, Intimidate +5, Jump +4, Knowledge (arcana) +11, Knowledge (nature) +7, knowledge (the plains) +6, Move Silently +7, Perform (dance) +5, Perform (sing) +5, Ride +8, Spellcraft +10, Swim +4, Tumble +6
Flaws Frail (-1 hp at each level)
Possessions combat gear plus, +1 keen longsword of spell-storing, +2 mithral shirt of shadow, ring of protection +2, headband of intellect +2, gloves of dexterity +2, Cloak of resistance +2, composite longbow (+2 Str bonus) with 20 arrows, standard adventuring gear, 285 gp.
Spellbook spells prepared plus 0--all, 1st--burning hands, identify; 2nd--Gedlee’s electric loop, whirling blade; 3rd--reverse arrows, Mestil’s acid breath, scintillating sphere, ice lance, haste; 4th--stoneskin, Rary’s mnemonic enhancer

Sources Used: Player's Handbook, Complete Warrior, Dungeon Master's Guide, Spell Compendium, Player's Guide to Faerun, Unearthed Arcana.

Note: I can't recall where I picked up this version of the Bladesinger PrC. I know it's not the one from the Races of Faerun OR Complete Warrior. When I remember where I got it, i'll post it here.

Edited by - Diffan on 12 Feb 2012 06:15:21
Go to Top of Page

Rhewtani
Senior Scribe

USA
508 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2011 :  17:46:21  Show Profile  Send Rhewtani an AOL message Send Rhewtani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll be using the Zhent Commander you put together tomorrow night. I'm excited.

Would you be willing to put together a Human Lich Wizard from the Moonsea? I need one for Aesperus of Hulburg. From Moonsea:

He was a wizard and a defender of Hulburg, who was struck unconscious in battle and accidentally buried alive under a mass of dead.
Aesperus survived his ordeal, but with a price: He became a lich in the process. He has remained here for the last five centuries, his mind gone, planning his revenge on the upper world.

Aesperus intends to revive the thousands of remains in the pit, send them boiling upward onto the surface, and march them across the North coast to lay waste to everything in their path.

Lich (1): INT Supra-genius; AL CE; AC 0; MV 6; HD 11+; hp 116; THAC0 9; #AT 1; Dmg 1-10; SA magic; SD cold touch, paralysis; SD: + 1
or better magical weapon to hit; SZ M; ML Fanatic; XP 8,000.

I need him stat-ed up ala Pathfinder but with full Realms-tome access.

So, he's in "Sword Mage" by Richard Baker and called the King in Copper . If there's a way to hint at that, other than me adding it to his description, throw it in.

This might play really well, as his phylactery will be inaccessible to the PCs. They can kill him, and he'll still make it into the novel in 150 years.

Edited by - Rhewtani on 03 Jan 2011 17:53:46
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
3290 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2011 :  05:58:48  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'll be using the Zhent Commander you put together tomorrow night. I'm excited.

Excellent! I hope he works out well for you.

quote:

Would you be willing to put together a Human Lich Wizard from the Moonsea? I need one for Aesperus of Hulburg. From Moonsea:

He was a wizard and a defender of Hulburg, who was struck unconscious in battle and accidentally buried alive under a mass of dead.
Aesperus survived his ordeal, but with a price: He became a lich in the process. He has remained here for the last five centuries, his mind gone, planning his revenge on the upper world.

Aesperus intends to revive the thousands of remains in the pit, send them boiling upward onto the surface, and march them across the North coast to lay waste to everything in their path.

Lich (1): INT Supra-genius; AL CE; AC 0; MV 6; HD 11+; hp 116; THAC0 9; #AT 1; Dmg 1-10; SA magic; SD cold touch, paralysis; SD: + 1
or better magical weapon to hit; SZ M; ML Fanatic; XP 8,000.

I need him stat-ed up ala Pathfinder but with full Realms-tome access.

So, he's in "Sword Mage" by Richard Baker and called the King in Copper . If there's a way to hint at that, other than me adding it to his description, throw it in.

This might play really well, as his phylactery will be inaccessible to the PCs. They can kill him, and he'll still make it into the novel in 150 years.

Hmmm, I could do that. When do you need it by? As for the build, what CR would you like him to be? I could easily go Wizard/Arch Wizard and have the spells and feats be pretty awesome. Also, is he known for anything unique or focused like Necromancy or rasing Undead? Info like that helps me flesh-out what sorts of feats and spells to load him with.

Go to Top of Page

Rhewtani
Senior Scribe

USA
508 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2011 :  15:29:09  Show Profile  Send Rhewtani an AOL message Send Rhewtani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd keep in the CR 15ish range. I found out he's called the king in copper because his joints are held together with copper. He spends most of his time raising an army of the dead, so he's gonna need as expansive an ability to animate as possible.

I could use him by tonight (yeah, i know ...), but I intend to keep him around for a long while, so any time is fine.
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
3290 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2011 :  10:49:00  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'd keep in the CR 15ish range. I found out he's called the king in copper because his joints are held together with copper. He spends most of his time raising an army of the dead, so he's gonna need as expansive an ability to animate as possible.

I could use him by tonight (yeah, i know ...), but I intend to keep him around for a long while, so any time is fine.

I could have him statted up in a few days. Definitly done by Friday, the 7th.

If you'd like him to be able to summon undead and be exceptional at it, hows about I go pure Dread Necromancer? The class is arcane in nature, but is way more focused on Necromancy spells than a wizard specialized on Necromancy?

Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
2874 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2011 :  11:40:46  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The King in Copper is also in Richard's short story in Realms of the Dead...

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Rhewtani
Senior Scribe

USA
508 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2011 :  14:40:17  Show Profile  Send Rhewtani an AOL message Send Rhewtani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dread Necromancer sounds perfect. I won't need him until at least the 17th. One of my players went awol last night and I had to run a small side quest that didn't come out at all like I'd planned (in the 3 minutes I had to plan it).
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
3290 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2011 :  01:06:28  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Dread Necromancer sounds perfect. I won't need him until at least the 17th. One of my players went awol last night and I had to run a small side quest that didn't come out at all like I'd planned (in the 3 minutes I had to plan it).

I've had those kinda nights before so I hear you. Dread Necromancer it is.

Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
3290 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2011 :  11:01:50  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Until I stat up Aesperus, heres a quick NPC/Monster to use in your campaigns...

ZERAH "FLAME TONGUE"; CR 7
Female tiefling wizard 6
N Medium outsider (native)
Init +3; Senses darkvision 60 ft.; Listen +2, Spot +2
Languages Common, Damaran, Draconic, Elven, Goblin, Infernal, Undercommon
==========================================================================
AC 15, touch 14, flat-footed 12
(+1 armor, +3 Dex, +1 deflection)
hp 26 (6 HD)
Resist cold 5, electricity 5, and fire 5
Fort +4, Ref +5, Will +6
Speed 30 ft. (6 squares)
Melee mwk spear +4 (1d6/x2)
Reach 10 ft. with mwk spear or
Melee decastave +4 touch (1d6/x2; 1d8 sonic on critical and Deafened [Fort DC 14])
Ranged touch +6 (by spell)
Base Atk +3; Grp +3
Atk Options scorching burst (3d6; DC 17 Reflex, half)
Combat Gear eternal wand (CL 10th; decastave) 2/day, wand of burning hands (CL 4th, 33 charges), wand of color spray (CL 5th, 42 charges)
Wizard Spells Prepared (CL 6th):
3rd—fell magic missile, fireball (DC 17), fly
2nd—Aganazzar's scorcher (DC 16), fell ray of frost (ranged touch), invisibility, web
1st—chromatic orb, grease, obscuring mist, shield
0 (cantrips)—acid splash (ranged touch), daze (DC 14), detect magic, resistance
Abilities Str 10, Dex 16, Con 15, Int 19, Wis 12, Cha 10
SQ summon familiar
Feats Combat Casting, Fell Drain, Scorching Burst, Scribe Scroll, Swift and Silent
Skills Bluff +2, Concentration +9 (+13 casting defensively), Craft (alchemy) +9, Decipher Script +8, Hide +10, Knowledge (arcana) +10, Knowledge (Damara local) +5, Knowledge (dungeoneering) +10, Knowledge (history) +6, Knowledge (the planes) +6, Profession (cartographer) +3, Move Silently +5, Spellcraft +11
Possessions combat gear plus masterwork spear, ring of protection +1, bracers of armor +1, cloak of elvenkind, spellbook, spell component pouch, 3 gems worth 50 gp each, 38 pp.
Spellbook spells prepared plus 0—all; 1st—alarm, disguise self, Knauper's skittish nerves, ray of enfeeblement; 2nd—blur, rope trick, scorching ray; 3rd—dispel magic, magic weapon [greater], phantom steed.

Sources Used: PHB, DMG, Monster Manual, Spell Compendium, Magic of Faerun (for FR spell names), Libris Mortis: Book of the Dead, Complete Mage.

• 32-point buy

• Bonus Regional feat

• Removed the -2 penalty to Charisma. I felt it wasn't balanced in comparison to other Planetouched creatures

EDIT: Realized I forgot to throw in v3.5 Chromatic Orb (Homebrew)

Chromatic Orb
Evocation [Force]
Level: Wiz/Sor 1
Components: V, S, M
Casting time: 1 standard action
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./ 2 levels)
Target: 1 creature
Duration: See text
Saving throw: See text
Spell resistance: Yes

This spell causes a 4-inch diameter sphere of swirling colors to appear in the casters hand. When thrown, it flies unerringly towards its target.
The effects the orb has on its target vary with the level of the caster who cast the spell. A 1st sphere deals 1d4 damage and blinds its target for 1 round. A 2nd level sphere deals 1d6 damage and inflicts pain upon the target, making him slowed for 1d4 rounds. A 3rd level sphere deals 1d10 damage and sets target on fire, dealing additional 1d6 fire damage for 3 rounds. A 4th level sphere deals 1d10 damage and blinds the target for 1d8 rounds. A 5th level sphere deals 1d12 damage and stuns the target for 3 rounds. A 6th level sphere deals 2d6 damage and target becomes nauseated for 1d6 rounds. A 7th level sphere deals 2d8 damage and exhausts the target for 1d4 rounds. A 8th level sphere deals 2d8 damage and paralyzes the target for 1d6 rounds. A 9th level sphere deals 2d10 damage or petrifies the target.
A successful reflex save negates any negative effects of the orb, but still takes the initial damage.
A sphere’s level is equal to the highest level the wizard or sorcerer can cast at that particular time.
Component: A gem worth at least 25 gp.

Edited by - Diffan on 06 Jan 2011 11:11:42
Go to Top of Page

Rhewtani
Senior Scribe

USA
508 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2011 :  18:54:46  Show Profile  Send Rhewtani an AOL message Send Rhewtani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know it's sort of a redundant thing to say, but it really just occurred to me that even the ones I don't directly request will be useful in fleshing out encounters. Now my zhent patrol has their wizard. I'll throw out there that I do need some banite clerics in the 8th-14th ranges.
Go to Top of Page

Wenin
Senior Scribe

531 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2011 :  23:02:11  Show Profile Send Wenin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I could also use banite/xvim clerics in the 8-14th ranges, using the 3.5 rules. =)

Forgotten Realms Cartography For mappers that are wanting to share the work they've done within the Forgotten Realms setting.

Session Reports posted at RPG Geek.
Stem the Tide Takes place in Mistledale.
Dark Curtains - Takes place in the Savage North, starting in Nesmé. I wrapped my campaign into the Hoard of the Dragon Queen, but it takes place in 1372 DR.
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
3290 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2011 :  18:09:34  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll see what I can do. I know I have a few clerics on file that can be easily adjusted for Banite/Xvim clerics.

Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
3290 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2011 :  15:29:58  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's a Banite cleric for you guys.

Neval Ambelcrown; CR 9
Male Chondathan cleric 9 (Bane)
NE Medium humanoid (human)
Init +1; Senses Listen +5, Spot +5
Languages Chondathan, Common
AC 26, touch 13, flat-footed 25
(+10 armor, +3 shield, +2 deflection, +1 Dex)
hp 74 (9 HD)
Immune charm and compulsion effects, rust attacks
Resistance 10 negative energy
Fort +9, Ref +6, Will +13
Speed 20 ft. (4 squares); base 30 ft.
Melee +2 darksteel morningstar +14/+9 (1d8+7, plus 1 electricity, plus 2 negative energy for 6 rounds/x2)
Base Atk +6; Grp +9 (+11)
Special Actions rebuke undead 10/day (+5, 2d6+12; 9th)
Combat Gear wand of cure light wounds (25 charges), potion of lesser restoration, scroll of dispel magic
Cleric Spells Prepared (CL 9th):
5th-righteous might*, slay living (DC 20), wall of stone
4th—divine power, cure critical wounds, emotion (DC 19), restoration
3rd—bestow curse* (DC 18), cure serious wounds, dispel magic, mystic lash, unholy storm
2nd—bull’s strength^, cure moderate wounds, infernal wound^, protection from negative energy^, scare* (DC 17), spiritual weapon
1st—bane (DC 16), cure light wounds, doom* (DC 16), inhibit (DC 16), protection from good^, shield of faith^
0—detect magic, guidance, light, no light, read magic, resistance
*: Domain Spells. Domains: Destruction- smite good 1/day (+4 attack, +9 damage), Hatred- hateful glare 1/day (+2 to atk, saves, AC for 1 minute against 1 opponent)
^: Already cast
Abilities Str 16 (20), Dex 12, Con 13, Int 11, Wis 20, Cha 16
SQ moderate evil aura, spontaneously cast inflict spells
Feats Combat Casting, Extra Turning, Furious Charge*, Initiate of Bane, Via Negativia, Weapon Focus (morningstar)
Skills Concentration +13 (+17 casting defensively), Diplomacy +7, Heal +7, Hide +8 (+2 in armor), Knowledge (religion) +5, Spellcraft +11
Possessions combat gear plus +2 blueshine full plate, +2 darksteel morningstar, +1 heavy steel shield, periapt of Wisdom +2, silver holy symbol (Bane), vest of resistance +2

Edited by - Diffan on 12 Feb 2012 06:16:32
Go to Top of Page

Rhewtani
Senior Scribe

USA
508 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2011 :  16:41:06  Show Profile  Send Rhewtani an AOL message Send Rhewtani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Diffan - you want to edit/paste this into your first post?

Index

3E/3.5E/Pathfinder
CR 01, Pg 01 – “Viktor Karliv” Male Damaran human cleric 1 of Tempus
CR 02, Pg 01 – “Den’vor Jarrik” Male aasimar paladin 1 of Kelemvor
CR 03, Pg 01 – “Adorned Ariel Pell” Female Damaran human cleric 3 (Ilmater)
CR 03, Pg 02 – “Deladara” Female half-elf mercury dragon shaman 3
CR 03, Pg 02 – “Zhent Spy” Female Chondathan bard 3
CR 04, Pg 02 – “Luth Bersek” Male Chondathan sorcerer 4
CR 04, Pg 01 – “Mistress Kethra” Female Illuskan human cleric 4 of Loviatar
CR 04, Pg 02 – “Sir Argath Blackblade” Male Illuskan knight 4
CR 04, Pg 02 – “Talindra Wavesilver” Female half-moon elf scout 4
CR 04, Pg 01 – “Zhent Cultist” Male Chondathan cleric 4 (Cyric)
CR 05, Pg 01 – “Feralor Nareth” Male moon elf druid 3/ wizard* 2
CR 06, Pg 01 – “Unnamed” Female fey'ri rogue 2/ sorcerer 2
CR 06, Pg 02 – “Unnamed” Male rashemi rogue 2/ hexblade 4
CR 07, Pg 02 – “Braela Traelstarr” Female Damaran paladin 5 (Mystra)/ knight of the weave 2
CR 07, Pg 02 – “Stor Heraldson” Male Illuskan barbarian 1/ fighter 6
CR 07, Pg 03 – “Zerah Flametongue” Female tiefling wizard 6
CR 08, Pg 02 – “Karthrand” Male Shield dwarf fighter 1/ crusader 7 (Dumathoin)
CR 09, Pg 01 – “Balan Dulsaer” Male Chondathan human cleric 5/ordained champion 4 of Tyr
CR 09, Pg 01 – “Kael’inor Sylellion” Male Moon elf cleric 4/ warlock 1/ eldritch disciple 4
CR 09, Pg 03 – “Neval Ambelcrown” Male Chondathan cleric 9 (Bane)
CR 09, Pg 01 – “Vel’adren” Male half-sun elf duskblade 9
CR 10, Pg 01 – “Stromovich Krosovechky” Male Rasheman human barbarian 2/ fighter 4/ tempest 4
CR 10, Pg 02 – “Faril Laheralson” Male Tethyrian human fighter 7/ ranger 3
CR 10, Pg 03 – “Ny’thandael Steeleaf” Male Moon elf fighter 2/ wizard 6/ bladesinger 2
CR 10, Pg 01 – “Unnamed” Female Chondathan bard 6/rogue 2/court herald 2
CR 11, Pg 01 – “Sir Ajantis Greycastle” Male Chondathan cleric 8/ justicar of Tyr 3
CR 11, Pg 03 – “Zhentarim Commander” Male Damaran human fighter 5/ cavalier 6
CR 12, Pg 03 – “Ilandeth Silverspear” Male moon elf ranger 3 (Shevarash)/ sorcerer 4/ Evereskan tomb guardian 5
CR 12, Pg 01 – “Kallious Solinnodel” Male Moon elf fighter 6/ blade dancer 4/ tempest 2
CR 12, Pg 02 – “Raydin Gloomantle” Male Damaran wizard 5/ shadow adept 7
CR 12, Pg 01 – “Sir Brenan Dunarch” Male Tethyrian human paladin 12 of Tyr
CR 13, Pg 01 – “Draevik” Male Chondathan human monk 5/ paladin 5 (Lathander)/ sun soul monk 3
CR 13, Pg 01 – “The Belkagen” Male lythari ranger 5/ herbalist 5
CR 13, Pg 01 – “Friar of Kelemvore” Male Chondathan human cleric 7 (Kelemvore)/ doomguide 3/ hunter of the dead 3
CR 15, Pg 02 – “Arcadian Avenger” Crusader 9 (Tyr)
CR 15, Pg 01 – “El’rith Phar’aen” Male drow duskblade 13/ shadow adept 1
CR 16, Pg 01 – “Ox” Male Reshemi barbarian 1/fighter 8/frenzied berserker 7
CR 16, Pg 02 – “Pharaxus Torrendol” Male Halruaan warmage 14/ archmage 2
CR 16, Pg 02 – “The Bone Collector” Male Chondathan human cleric 3/ wizard 3/ true necromancer 10
CR 20, Pg 01 – “Broislav Gorrin” Male Damaran half-vampire fighter 6/ blackguard 10/ warrior of darkness 3
CR 20, Pg 01 – “Summoner of Kossuth” Male Rashemi cleric 13 (Kossuth)/ nar demonbinder 7
CR 21, Pg 01 – “Sidious” Male half yuan-ti/half dragon (green) cleric 20 of Tiamat

4e
Lvl 01, Pg 02 – “ARTUS” Warforged Warlord 1
Lvl 01, Pg 01 – “Unnamed” Tiefling Warlock 1

Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
3290 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2011 :  17:54:11  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the Index man. Much appreciated!!!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 9 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000