Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Software
 Best Bioware, Black Isle or Obsidian games?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Kno
Senior Scribe

452 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2010 :  17:31:40  Show Profile Send Kno a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Poll Question:
What's your favorite, includes expansions? I can't make a larger poll. I vote for Baldur's Gate.

Choices:

Fallout 1 or 2
Planescape: Torment
Baldur''s Gate 1 or 2
Icewind Dale 1 or 2
Knights of the Old Republic
Neverwinter Nights
Kotor 2: The Sith Lords
Neverwinter Nights 2
Jade Empire
Mass Effect 1 or 2
Dragon Age
Fallout: New Vegas

(Anonymous Vote)

z455t

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4425 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2010 :  17:38:44  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As much as I played NWN 1 and 2 and Baldur's Gate AND Icewind Dale, they don't compare to Mass Effect 1 or 2. The storyline, the love interests between your shipmates, the game play and action...so far I've not played a better Video Game-RPG.

Edited by - Diffan on 22 Nov 2010 17:39:10
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2010 :  18:34:47  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree with Diffan. It's like all the other games just added up to create Mass Effect.

Dragon Age is pretty sweet as well, but Mass Effect beats it because the main character HAS A VOICE.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

idilippy
Senior Scribe

USA
417 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2010 :  21:15:58  Show Profile Send idilippy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You're killing me here, how am I supposed to choose?! On one hand, Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 are amazing, just counting the unmodded game I've probably played through the entire storyline a half dozen times, and with the various mods out there I am still playing Baldur's Gate now. I also have bought multiple copies of Shadows of Amn over the years as wear and various moves have caused lost and broken disks because I have wanted to play it that often.

On the other hand, Mass Effect is just incredible, both 1 and 2, gameplay, storyline, dialogue, the world(universe) building, it's all wonderful. I'd call it a tie, I like both equally.
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2010 :  23:06:11  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I voted Planescape Torment, a most provocative game (from a creative standpoint). Though I haven't played the others on that list.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2010 :  23:44:39  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've played everything except Falout 1, 2, and NVN 2, Jade Empire (some day, not sure if these two are worth the time). I did not finish New Vegas, found it most annoying and boring.

Of the rest my favourite story is from Planescape, then BG2, then Mass Effect 2. Mass Effect 1 reminded me too much of Revelation Space/Hyperion/Nights Dawn etc. Dragon Age is too cliched (tough I like how the story is developing after the Awakening), also needs a better combat system.

Overall Mass Effect 2, cause the gameplay is more fun than in PS:T.

Imagine Mass Effect and Planecape merged and you travel on a planejammer

Edited by - Quale on 23 Nov 2010 10:01:55
Go to Top of Page

Kilvan
Senior Scribe

Canada
894 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2010 :  01:38:10  Show Profile Send Kilvan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
NWN is the one I played and enjoyed the most, at least when it came out, so I have to vote for it. Dragon Age is great, much better than Mass Effect IMO. NWN2 is just too buggy (some major ones too).
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2010 :  02:44:03  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As much as I've enjoyed each and every game listed as part of this poll, I hold a very special place in my heart for Planescape: Torment. Not only because I've long had a passion for the setting, but also due to the fact that it's intricate style and involving storyline has rarely found similar purchase among most other games in the genre.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2010 :  13:00:14  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have not played all of the games mentioned, but my vote goes clearly to BG2! In terms of storyline, replayability, complexity, music, freedom and FR atmosphere, there is really nothing like it, at least for me.

I am almost through all IWD games and they are no comparison to BG2, even though without comparing them to BG they are very good games.

NWN series never motivated me for long. Easy fights and cannot hook up with the 3D perspective that much. Looks too much like computer graphics instead of 2D pictures. I guess what makes the game a killer is the online function, which I never came to use as I played it when it was already pretty old.

Planescape Torment is amazing! The only reason why I did not rank it as equal to BG2 is that the graphics are a bit below what I still like to play. Not that BG2 or IWD2 are still up to date in graphics, but they have a level that I still consider nice.

"You make an intriguing offer, one that is very tempting. It would seem that I have little alternative than to answer thusly: DISINTEGRATE!" Vaarsuvius, Order of the Stick 625
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2010 :  13:56:35  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There are patches/mods which bring PT's graphics up to parity with BG2. Resolution at least. Probably not artwork.

But Morte and Nordom are worth it, no?

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2010 :  17:17:02  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh yes they are! Haven't researched on improving PST's graphics. What I saw regarding BG2 Tutu and its application on older games looked a bit too complicated for my personal taste. At least some years ago. Maybe there are easier options now.

"You make an intriguing offer, one that is very tempting. It would seem that I have little alternative than to answer thusly: DISINTEGRATE!" Vaarsuvius, Order of the Stick 625
Go to Top of Page

GRYPHON
Senior Scribe

USA
527 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2010 :  07:36:51  Show Profile Send GRYPHON a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Baldur's Gate series...
Go to Top of Page

mensch
Seeker

80 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2010 :  09:24:35  Show Profile Send mensch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've played most of the games on that list, except for Icewind Dale 1 and 2. "Jade Empire" was a disappointment, the Asian theme didn't do it for me. I thoroughly enjoyed both "Knights of the Old Republic" games and of course "Mass Effect", though the second game is extremely linear and I'm having a hard time still calling it an CRPG (it's more shooter than RPG).

Neverwinter Nights and Baldur's Gate (1&2) were great fun, though the difficulty of the latter is maddening at times. I've also tried Planescape, but wasn't able to finish it due to frequent crashes on Windows Vista/7, it's a marvel of a game, though. All the Infinity Engine games (BG 1+2, IW 1+2 and Planescape) can be modded with widescreen and high resolution patches (like BG Tutu) and still look absolutely great on newer hardware. It's not Mass Effect, but the artwork just has so much quality.

Dragon Age is great too, but nothing beats the original Fallout games (1 & 2), the humour, the story, the setting, it all works! Fallout 3 was nice as well, but didn't have that real Fallout feeling. I'm currently playing Fallout: New Vegas and this time the feeling is back. A strong contender for my personal top 10, despite all the bugs and glitches currently plaguing the game.

Some say the world will end in fire, Some say in ice. From what I’ve tasted of desire I hold with those who favor fire. But if it had to perish twice, I think I know enough of hate to know that for destruction ice is also great and would suffice. – Robert Frost (1874 - 1963)

Edited by - mensch on 24 Nov 2010 09:26:29
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2010 :  12:00:24  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think I beat the Baldur's Gate series about 6 times and I will beat it again another 6 times in my life. It's a timeless classic now.

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Kno
Senior Scribe

452 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2010 :  16:30:09  Show Profile Send Kno a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Quale

replace Legion with a modron and the galaxy map with the Great Wheel, what's Bioware waiting for

z455t
Go to Top of Page

idilippy
Senior Scribe

USA
417 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2010 :  22:45:38  Show Profile Send idilippy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kno

quote:

replace Legion with a modron and the galaxy map with the Great Wheel, what's Bioware waiting for

I would pre-order that game today if it were announced and would be counting down the days til it arrived.

Edited by - idilippy on 24 Nov 2010 22:46:01
Go to Top of Page

Joran Nobleheart
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2010 :  22:51:29  Show Profile  Visit Joran Nobleheart's Homepage Send Joran Nobleheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Baldur's Gate series brought me into the world of Forgotten Realms, and even after all the games I've played, I still can easily say that it remains my favorite even after all these years. Revisiting those games is like going home again, and seeing friends and family you haven't been with in years. Therefore, my vote lies with them.

Paladinic Ethos
Saint Joran Nobleheart
Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2010 :  20:59:50  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by idilippy

quote:
Originally posted by Kno

quote:

I would pre-order that game today if it were announced and would be counting down the days til it arrived.

yea

got me thinking about a Reaper-like villain, a sentient ship of chaos made of ancient baatorians
Go to Top of Page

strafer
Acolyte

15 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2010 :  02:27:57  Show Profile Send strafer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I played BG2 a ton, plus beat both IW1 and 2 so Black Isle is my favorite. I tried Knights of the Old Republic and Jade Empire but just couldn't get into them.
Go to Top of Page

strafer
Acolyte

15 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2010 :  02:32:19  Show Profile Send strafer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I tried Knights of the Old Republic and Jade Empire but just couldn't get into them.
Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2010 :  13:06:16  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I seriously can't vote! Planescape: Torment on one hand, Baldur's Gate series on the other, but my vote goes to PS:T. Unbeatable plot. Really.

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Elfinblade
Senior Scribe

Norway
377 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2010 :  14:14:28  Show Profile Send Elfinblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've had wonderful experiences with several of the games on that list. Mass Effect 1 & 2 is by far the most exciting of those though. Storyline was amazing, interesting characters, and relatively fast paced combat all contributed to making this my favourite game series i have ever played. I am anticipating ME3 with trembling bowels
Go to Top of Page

sneakypetev
Acolyte

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2010 :  10:07:44  Show Profile  Visit sneakypetev's Homepage Send sneakypetev a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bg 2, a classic that revived the PC RPG and set the standard,IMO. Then NWN2 despite the bugs ,I liked the story and graphics, specially w/MoB included.Also,like the BG sereis,NWN2 has a load of free Mods which keep the game alive.

"Go for the eyes boo,go for the eyes!"- Minsc
Go to Top of Page

Thelonius
Senior Scribe

Spain
730 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2010 :  18:10:04  Show Profile Send Thelonius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Got to choose Baldur's Gate saga, without reading the rest :P, and after reading I'll keep my choice, but also enjoyed a lot NWN ones, though I always feel "on rails" in them and a real high mark for the KOTOR ones.

"If you are to truly understand, then you will need the contrast, not adherence to a single ideal." - Kreia
"I THINK I JUST HAD ANOTHER NEAR-RINCEWIND EXPERIENCE"- Discworld's Death frustrated after Rincewind scapes his grasp... again.
"I am death, come for thee" - Nimbul, from Baldur's Gate I just before being badly spanked
Sapientia sola libertas est
Go to Top of Page

Marc
Senior Scribe

657 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2010 :  22:15:17  Show Profile Send Marc a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Icewind Dale, it's hack and slash with a story

never got the patience for BG2, endless text to read

Go to Top of Page

pdesbois
Acolyte

4 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2010 :  04:15:43  Show Profile  Visit pdesbois's Homepage Send pdesbois a Private Message  Reply with Quote
oh lord, so many excellent games again... Planescape Torment wasn't in the other one, now I have to meditate on my answers EVEN more...

Had to go with BG series. Just love to play a classic D&N party of four, plus the stoies and quests...

"Ze VÖRLD ist changing..."

Edited by - pdesbois on 03 Jan 2011 04:18:54
Go to Top of Page

BARDOBARBAROS
Senior Scribe

Greece
581 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2011 :  13:04:43  Show Profile  Visit BARDOBARBAROS's Homepage Send BARDOBARBAROS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Icewind dale II

BARDOBARBAROS DOES NOT KILL.
HE DECAPITATES!!!

"The city changes, but the fools within it remain always the same" (Edwin Odesseiron- Baldur's gate 2)
Go to Top of Page

Hooch9
Acolyte

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2011 :  09:23:35  Show Profile  Visit Hooch9's Homepage Send Hooch9 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Considering I've been playing it for almost ten years now, I'm going to have to go with Black Isle for Fallout 1/2. They are literally my favorite games of all time.

I guess next in this list is Mass Effect (loved the story). I guess in terms of actual Forgotten Realms though, I'd have to go with NWN1. I never did get into Baldur's Gate much, but it's still a good game (I'd kill for The Bhaal Series of novels).

Oddly, I've NEVER played Planescape. I really need to get it.

Also played the first KOTOR, but only once through as the light side.

Sheriff: Oh one other thing Earlie. Your boy needs to be in school.
Earlie Cuyler: School? Ain't dat da damn place where they got all dem uhh lets see, whatcha call um uhh? Fold outs covered in scriblins wrote up all over.
Earlie Cuyler: uhh? Books?
Earlie Cuyler: uh-uh, uh-uh, No they square like a magazine.
Sheriff: Books Earlie.
Earlie Cuyler: Noo not not that, but something like that, I wanna say boooooo...

"Don't you start with me. I have hobbies. I collect autographs. I don't Judge you for all those books you read!"

-Both of those quotes are from Squidbillies.
Go to Top of Page

Synthalus
Learned Scribe

USA
170 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2011 :  12:08:46  Show Profile  Visit Synthalus's Homepage Send Synthalus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
my vote is for baldurs gate. it was hard to decide between baldurs gate and fallout. i love them both so much. but baldurs gate is a forgotten realms based game and it was amazing from start to finish. ive played it thru to the end at least 20 or 30 timesincluding bg2 and icewind dale.

"That is not dead which can eternal lie,
And with strange aeons even death may die."
— H.P. Lovecraft (The Call of Cthulhu and Other Weird Stories)
Go to Top of Page

Synthalus
Learned Scribe

USA
170 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2011 :  12:09:45  Show Profile  Visit Synthalus's Homepage Send Synthalus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
in fact i think ill start playing it again right now!

"That is not dead which can eternal lie,
And with strange aeons even death may die."
— H.P. Lovecraft (The Call of Cthulhu and Other Weird Stories)
Go to Top of Page

Light
Learned Scribe

Australia
231 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2011 :  15:55:41  Show Profile Send Light a Private Message  Reply with Quote
awwwwww. It's too hard. I like them all. Well...all of them except for Neverwinter Nigths 1 (and 2 but it was a bit of an improvement). Eeni meeni miini moh...I'm going to have to go with Fallout 1 and 2. No, change that to Baldur's Gate. No wait! Planescape! Ok, I think I'll just not vote.

"A true warrior needs no sword" - Thors (Vinland Saga)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000