Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Thay... then or now? (Potential Spoilers)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 7

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2012 :  22:13:35  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MrHedgehog

I don't think Szass Tam's actions are left open to speculation in the Neverwinter book thingy. It says what he is doing and why, its not mysterious.
And how often had Szass Tam surprised people. He may not be the greatest manipulator/mastermind/trickster in the Realms, but he certainly is one.

Of course, you may say this is just me trying to see sense in his actions in Neverwinter. Otherwise, it would appear that RAS and his editors deliberately or ignorantly threw previous lore (and by that, I mean RLB's books); or that they want to show how great a fool Szass Tam is.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

MrHedgehog
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2012 :  05:23:35  Show Profile  Visit MrHedgehog's Homepage Send MrHedgehog a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Szass Tam isn't a perfect Mary Sue character. None of the villains in the realms are infallible, or else they would not have been created. They exist for their plots to be foiled = P

His defeating all the other Zulkirs seemed really lame and deux ex machina to me. "I can control all my minion's minds with magic better than the entire school of enchantment la la la". His rise to power would have made more sense as it was set out in Spellbound with some of the Zulkirs supporting him... him doing it all alone was a stupid idea.

Edited by - MrHedgehog on 02 Oct 2012 05:27:10
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2012 :  06:18:30  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I did NOT say he is perfect or infallible. If he were, he would have successfully cast the Ritual of Unmaking. Nevertheless, he is no fool. His madness, either as one of the side effects of the process of lichdom, or simply the result of existing for centuries, is also a factor that makes him dream BIG, insanely big.

Edited by - Dennis on 13 Nov 2012 02:05:38
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2013 :  13:51:22  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was going to create a new 'fixing Thay' thread, but this one is recent enough and related enough, and so long as Dennis doesn't mind, I'd like to continue the discussion.

In my current campaign, my Thay is both quite a bit different then published Thay, and yet at its heart, it is still Thay (circa 1372 or so). What I picture is the Thayans still setting up their enclaves, but they are more like embassies, mostly based on their trade (just a century or so ago, they dominated the Inner Sea with their galleys, but newer ship-types introduced from the Swordcoast has made most of their navy obsolete, and other countries are now on the rise). So NO Thaymart... at least not on the surface.

The idea is that their enclaves officially are little more then embassies, which handle their 'trade relations' with other nations. What they are really doing is bribing local officials, and slowly taking over the local political landscape, with the idea of controlling other nations in this manner, but surreptitiously (the 'power behind the throne' situation). This actually isn't all that different then how they were originally presented to us in FR. I like the enclaves as a concept, but I don't like they way they spun them. Maybe they weren't going for that level of silliness - a chain of 'magical convenience stores' - but thats how it turned out.

On the other hand, because the enclaves DO have an agenda, part of that should be controlling the Black Market in any area they have an enclave, and to that end they would be smuggling-in illicit magical paraphernalia, which they would be willing to sell to certain 'agreeable' folks. They might even be willing to gift certain items to some folk in exchange for 'favors'. This is part of their plan - not only do they get the cooperation of local politicians, underworld types, and police through these items, but they also place certain spells on the items themselves, to help 'track' activities and keep tabs on everyone.

In that way, the enclaves are doing something along the same lines as it is in published material, but it gives the whole thing a much more sinister, more clandestine spin.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2013 :  16:02:31  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Of course I don't mind, MT.

As for the enclaves, I honestly don't give them that much thought. To me, they're nothing more than (as you and other scribes described quite well) mere magical convenience stores.

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2013 :  21:37:52  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
that's pretty much how I've always envisioned the enclaves. Corruption run rampant. They bring in drugs and distribute them. They may provide intelligent magic items that seek to control their owner. They may allow certain individuals to use their portals, of course, noting where the person went... and of course, requiring favors in return. However, they also use them to magically transport their surplus produce, and they can do it efficiently since they're widespread.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2013 :  01:30:58  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
my only bit to add to this is: I really liked the old Red Magic book. What they did with Tamm after that made me wish Maligor had won.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2013 :  14:40:40  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I liked that novel too, save the silly Harpers. I would have liked it as well if Maligor had won, though not to the point that he'd slay Szass Tam.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2013 :  18:49:05  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, thats why I am trying to make the 'Thaymart stores' more sinister in nature, something along the lines of a front for a Thayan black market (I could even call it the 'Red Market').

Basically, someone goes to an enclave to do business with Thay, but then while there can ask (discreetly) about 'other services' (drugs, slaves, contraband magic, etc). There'd be what they are openly known for (as trade embassies), and also what underworld types understand them to really be (information-gathering, sowing unrest, checkpoints for Thayan agents, etc). Kinda like the Red Wizard equivalent of a Harper safehouse, combined with regular embassy features.

They'd also make themselves very useful to everyone, being information-brokers (and thus coming into direct conflict with Kraken Society, amongst others).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 02 Mar 2013 18:51:33
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2013 :  00:36:54  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

I liked that novel too, save the silly Harpers. I would have liked it as well if Maligor had won, though not to the point that he'd slay Szass Tam.

Yeah, I meant to that extent. I think the post Spellbound changes in Thay revolving around Tam are awful, like "Hey I know, lets totally change who and what the Red Wizards and Thay are! Genius idea." "Yeah, they're too mean, lets have them sell stuff instead." "Oooh, and I like undead so lets have more of those too!"
Go to Top of Page

MrHedgehog
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2013 :  03:12:10  Show Profile  Visit MrHedgehog's Homepage Send MrHedgehog a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I enjoyed the Haunted Land novels. They were very entertaining and fun...but I don't like the impact they had on Thay and found a lot of what happened unrealistic to the point of absurdity. I think Thay was more interesting before. What do you do in an undead ravaged land with a tyrant who can apparently control everything? It isn't interesting.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2013 :  05:21:44  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

It depends on what you consider "interesting." I doubt Szaa Tam's rule will continue forever. Change is the only thing that's constant in the Realms. One day, some determined Red Wizards would try to seize Thay out of Szass Tam's grip, and would likely seek alliance from an outside realm or two (Aglarond, Rashemen, Cormyr, Waterdeep, Thesk, Calimport, etc.) to aid them in their campaign, offering staggering bounty after their success. Such future political intrigue and war would be interesting to see.

Go to Top of Page

MrHedgehog
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2013 :  21:37:45  Show Profile  Visit MrHedgehog's Homepage Send MrHedgehog a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I got the impression from the books he could somehow control the minds of his school (but Lauzoril somehow couldn't...?) I did not like that. The war would have made more sense if say two other schools supported him (like Divination and Illusion or something)
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2013 :  13:11:04  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Who said Lauzoril didn't control a bunch of strong echanters? He could have "charmed" (magically or naturally) those enchanters that went to join him and his fellow zulkirs in their campaign against Szass Tam. Just because it wasn't explicitly stated in the novels doesn't mean it didn't happen. Come to think of it, when they were at the Wizards Reach trying to "rebuild" their forces, knowing fully well that Szass Tam alreadly had Thay in his tight grip, those enchanters, along with the powerful lackeys of the zulkirs from other schools, could have easily deserted their superiors and pledged allegiance to Szass Tam, or start a mercenary life somewhere, or relinquish their Red Wizard-hood (ridding their red robes and tattoos and growing some hair) and start a totally new life somewhere relatively safer. But they never did. Why is that?

Go to Top of Page

Entromancer
Senior Scribe

USA
388 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2013 :  20:05:56  Show Profile Send Entromancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd prefer a Thay somewhere between the current version and the old version. Instead of zombie Mordor, Thay outwardly appears as it always has. However, there's rumors of ungodly experimentation in laboratories and catacombs beneath Thay. Of foul smells and inhuman shapes seen in the mists and overgrown tangles surrounding the strange buildings that the Red Wizards have shown tremendous interest in.

Those buildings are, of course, the Dread Rings (or attempts at reconstructing them after Unholy); the Red Wizards would be under the control of the Zulkirs, who ouwardly bicker and squabble but are all firmly under Tam's control. There's vast networks of tunnels under Thay, where the undead patrol and keep tabs on the whole of the realm's citizens. Any hints of dissent, uprising or conspiracy is dealt with in the night; the undead emerge and drag the traitors to the realm into the catacombs. In the Red Wizards' labs, the conspirators are added to the ranks of undead guardians.

"...the will is everything. The will to act."--Ra's Al Ghul

"Suffering builds character."--Talia Al Ghul
Go to Top of Page

MrHedgehog
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2013 :  23:16:12  Show Profile  Visit MrHedgehog's Homepage Send MrHedgehog a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like the idea of Szass Tam being a supreme Zulkir but there still being eight other under Zulkirs (so he is like the master Zulkir and now there is another Zulkir of Necromancy beholden to him as well as one for each school of magic like before...not necessarily all liches as I think was implied) And for it not to be a ruined zombie wasteland but similar to how it was before.

But I also like the idea of a Thayan diaspora with Red Wizard enclaves everywhere who want to eventually tear down Szass Tam from power. I would assume large numbers of Thayans and Red Wizards fled during the civil war and certainly after their two defeats.
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2013 :  14:36:37  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would like to see Thay 'return' with its original (still surviving) Zulkirs becoming staunch allies for newer, stronger Thay. Tammy should be imprisoned within his dread rings (or whatever they were called).

Sorry for the thread resurrection but I came across this during a search and couldn't help meself.

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2013 :  15:02:10  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The one positive thing 4e did for us in regards to Thay is that it nerfed the whole, silly 'Thaymart' concept. That can't be blamed on 4e, that was 3e, and 4e is helping us to get that part back to how it should have been.

Thus, a 'renewed Thay' would be very isolationist, as the factions reasserted themselves, and the infrastructure rebuilt. Dark. Mysterious. Magical. Dangerous.

Thats the Thay I remember, and thats the Thay I want.

Edited by - Markustay on 23 Dec 2013 15:02:40
Go to Top of Page

Demzer
Senior Scribe

873 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2013 :  15:08:46  Show Profile Send Demzer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is only one way to deal with Thay post Zombie-pocalypse: PURGE WITH FIRE!

Luckily Thay had a lot of worshippers of Kossuth so i say: give us a great theocracy and keep the "new" trading Red Wizards away, they won't ever be the old ones so give us fanatic pyromaniacs instead.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2013 :  15:48:18  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Demzer

Luckily Thay had a lot of worshippers of Kossuth
Not in the current Thay. They were pretty much slaughtered during the War of the Zulkirs. And not other religion exists in the land except Bane's.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2013 :  15:49:50  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

The one positive thing 4e did for us in regards to Thay is that it nerfed the whole, silly 'Thaymart' concept.
Not quite. They simply chose not to feature it in the novels.

Go to Top of Page

Demzer
Senior Scribe

873 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2013 :  15:57:25  Show Profile Send Demzer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

quote:
Originally posted by Demzer

Luckily Thay had a lot of worshippers of Kossuth
Not in the current Thay. They were pretty much slaughtered during the War of the Zulkirs. And not other religion exists in the land except Bane's.

That's why i said "had".

1 - Greatest concentration of organized worshippers slaughtered
2 - Holy avenging crusade ... PURGE WITH FIRE!!!
3 - ???
4 - Profit

In all seriousness, i despise what they did to Thay. It was another nail in the coffin for the 4e Realms for me. So, since i took the nation in another direction in my home Realms and 5e needs a frigging miracle to get me interested in canon Thay again they might as well turn it into a theocracy of fanatic pyromaniacs, at least then i can laugh while reading about it and picturing red robed warrior priests setting the f*****g zoophiliac b*****s of Rashemen and their drunk toy boys on fire.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2013 :  16:07:34  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Haha. What a picture it must be.

Fear not, though, for Szass Tam's actions lately seem to indicate he'd be overstretching his limits soon. Building Dread Rings in the Sword Coast where many major cities are well prepared to crush any potential threats? A particularly unwise move.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000