Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Blessed of Selune
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Artemel
Learned Scribe

USA
110 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2010 :  00:14:05  Show Profile  Visit Artemel's Homepage Send Artemel a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I am trying to create a small template for 3.5 rules. As the title says, it will be a gift granted by Selune to those she sishes to bless above others. (Not Chosen of Selune! No need to re-open that can of worms.)

I am trying to tweak it to about +2 LA. Please feel free to critique. I have about a month (maybe 2) before it actually gets implemented in game. Probably a bit over-powered at the moment. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Creating A Blessed of Selune

"Blessed of Selune" is an acquired template that can be added to any intelligent fey, giant, humanoid, magical beast, or monstrous humanoid of good alignment (referred to hereafter as the base creature).

A Blessed of Selune creature uses all the base creature’s statistics and abilities except as noted here. Do not recalculate the creature’s Hit Dice, base attack bonus, saves, or skill points if its type changes.

Size and Type

The creature type is unchanged. Size is unchanged.

Special Qualities

A Blessed of Selune creature retains all the special qualities of the base creature and also gains the following qualities.

* Darkvision out to 60 feet.
* Low light vision
* Damage reduction 5/silver.
* Resistance to electricity 5+1/HD (Max 15).
* Spell resistance equal to HD + 5 (maximum 25).
* Moon Domain
Granted Powers: You can turn or destroy lycanthropes as a good cleric turns or destroys undead. Blessed of Selune uses their ECL to determine the effectiveness of this ability. This ability is usable a number of times per day equal to 3 + your Charisma modifier.
Spell like abilities:
All 1/day, CL=HD, Saves are Cha based
1-2 HD Faerie Fire
3-4 HD Moonbeam
5-6 HD Moon Blade
7-8 HD Good Hope
9-10 HD Moon Path
11-12 HD Permanent Image
13-14 HD Insanity
15-16 HD Animal Shapes
17-18 HD Moonfire

Dancing lights (SP) At will.

If the base creature already has one or more of these special qualities, use the better value.

Abilities
Dex +2, Wis +2, Cha +2

Alignment

Always good (any).

Level Adjustment

Same as the base creature +2.

Kilvan
Senior Scribe

Canada
894 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2010 :  11:51:48  Show Profile Send Kilvan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's not so bad, though probably more LA +3 than +2, if not +4. This is mostly because of the LARGE list of spell-like abilities AND spell resistance, and DR 5/silver. I'd add a few of the Silverstar class abilities (F&P), like the abiity to control any change of form in Lycanthropy (if any), to resist any aligmnent change while doing so, and be treated as natural Lycanthrope. Note that granting control to lycanthropes and granting Lycanthropy to a PC is two very diferent things . Or, at least, protection from contracting magical diseases.

With this ability, and the removal of SR (for example), and limiting the number of spell-like abilities per day (i.e. any 3 per day from the list), you could probably consider it a +2 LA. Other than that, seems good.
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4427 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2010 :  14:50:02  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree with Kilvan. Definitly a +3 LA. Mainly due to SR= 5 + HD (total up to 25) and the large number of SLA's. The spells themselves really aren't that bad (well maybe insanity) but I'd decrease them a bit. I mean, this is in addition to your normal class/PrC ability progression.

The ability adjustments, darkvision/low-light vision, resistance to electricity are all in-line with other templates of +2 LA. The DR 5/silver doesn't make much sense to me as they'd be using silver to kill Lycans and because many of Selune's followers are possibly Fey, I could see the resistance changed to DR 5/cold iron.

Also, more description on what you gain from the Moon Domain. You should have a Wisdom score = to the spell level and I'd suggest allowing a character to only cast those spells once per day. This is also in addition to the SLA's you automatically get as well.

Edited by - Diffan on 08 Nov 2010 14:51:20
Go to Top of Page

Kilvan
Senior Scribe

Canada
894 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2010 :  15:12:11  Show Profile Send Kilvan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Diffan

The DR 5/silver doesn't make much sense to me as they'd be using silver to kill Lycans and because many of Selune's followers are possibly Fey, I could see the resistance changed to DR 5/cold iron.

Having a DR X/silver implies that your natural weapons will be considered silver for purpose of piercing other's DR, which could prove useful against Lycanthropes (especially to Monk followers).

Then again, DR X/cold iron makes sense also, with your Fey argument, or the fact the cold iron is usually atributed to deal with chaotic creatures (fey, demons, etc) and Selune being a CG deity.
Go to Top of Page

Artemel
Learned Scribe

USA
110 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2010 :  19:40:01  Show Profile  Visit Artemel's Homepage Send Artemel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the feedback.

I think I'll drop the darkvision and electricity resistance. Instead of giving the Moon domain out, I'll just give the spell like abilities. They really aren't to far off from some of the other templates I've looked at. Drop the Dex +2. If the game starts when it should I'll let you know if it seems to balance out.

(The other characters are a Phrenic human and a Shadow changeling. Both have LA +2.)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000