Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Archvillainess (Spoilers)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3747 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2011 :  05:24:06  Show Profile  Click to see Alystra Illianniis's MSN Messenger address Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
o....kay. I had not read that. How did he die THIS time?

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2011 :  05:25:31  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dagnirion

quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

Not comics character. FR. And it's Pharaun.

-He was resurrected in the Fractured Sky series? And, then he died again? Oy vey...I didn't like the character too much, but...

I actually did like him. And didn't want him to die. We rarely see a drow who has a sense of humor.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3747 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2011 :  05:36:11  Show Profile  Click to see Alystra Illianniis's MSN Messenger address Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Apparently only Jarlaxle and Liriel are allowed to have one and live....

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:

Edited by - Alystra Illianniis on 30 Apr 2011 05:37:03
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2011 :  05:49:08  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

So Drizzt doesn't have a sense a humor? Not even a mote?

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31691 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2011 :  05:52:03  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alystra Illianniis

Only Jean/Phoenix really has a valid reason to keep coming back.

Maybe for the first couple of times... but it's almost become something of a running joke now. Especially considering the hype around Hope, and whether she really is reborn-Jean in teenage form.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2011 :  05:57:11  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Maybe they're taking the meaning of the "Phoenix" too literally? A being that can resurrect itself sans any outside help.

Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3158 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2011 :  06:25:48  Show Profile  Send Lord Karsus an AOL message Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

Maybe for the first couple of times... but it's almost become something of a running joke now. Especially considering the hype around Hope, and whether she really is reborn-Jean in teenage form.

-If it turns out that Hope is a reborn Jean, I'll admit that at least it's something new (like X-Force's reborn, young Apocalypse, that I didn't care for too much), but I soured on the idea. It seemed pretty cool when it was suggested at the end of Manifest Destiny, when Emma saw her doing her best Jean impression, but it soured on me. Then again, I don't like the whole "travel around the world activating other mutants' latent powers, Generation Hope" schpiel, either, so...Can't they just make her a little girl Cable is running around through time with, protecting her against Bishop again?

-A ha! To keep it on topic:

quote:

Apparently only Jarlaxle and Liriel are allowed to have one and live....

-Hey, that's mostly fine with me.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium

Edited by - Lord Karsus on 30 Apr 2011 06:28:37
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3747 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2011 :  06:50:55  Show Profile  Click to see Alystra Illianniis's MSN Messenger address Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Driizt? Nah- his humor is too dry. He must be a Brithish drow....

As for Hope being Jean- I had not heard of that. I lost track sometime around her being in the future with Cable, and X-Factor's Layla being stuck in a future time. Then came Spidey's OMIT, and I cried. No, really. It made me so angry that I cried. And since I'm nowhere within thirty miles of a comic store, and can't afford subscriptions, I've not read a comic since then. But I LOVED what they did with Jean at the end of Phoenix: Endsong. Phoenix: Warsong was cool, too- and that was where I wish they'd left her. Madelyn coming back was sort of annoying to me, and I prefer Rachel as Phoenix anyway. She's got a better handle on it.

On topic- There IS at least ONE other drow with a sense of humor- but he's not canon. He's in my campaigns. And just for you, Sage- he's a bard. (Yes, he's MY bard....) And if he WAS canon, then his half-sister might qualify for the list of arch-villainesses above. Morganna's one MEAN be-otch! (And she's only half-drow, so she's got all sorts of issues!)

My stories:

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2011 :  07:11:36  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Variance will probably be a "good" archvillainess. And perhaps the most interesting part would be to see how she would extricate herself from the strong clutch of Shade to be an independent meanie.

-----

To my fellow sribes,

Just curious, what do you prefer for an archvillainess, one who is purely evil, or one who's a little bit "shady"?

Edited by - Dennis on 01 May 2011 05:25:02
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
2978 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2011 :  05:50:59  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Like them shady...

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2011 :  05:55:59  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Same here. I guess what makes a shady archvillainess (arguably) more interesting is that you often have to wonder what she will do next---as opposed to a pure evil one whose line of sight is completely straight.

Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3158 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2011 :  06:02:55  Show Profile  Send Lord Karsus an AOL message Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

To my fellow sribes,

Just curious, what do you prefer for an archvillainess, one who is purely evil, or one who's a little bit "shady"?

-The Banite Cleric from Finder's Bane andTymora's Luck, Walinda, was a great villainess.

Elves of Faerūn
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2011 :  06:11:05  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dagnirion

quote:

To my fellow sribes,

-The Banite Cleric from Finder's Bane andTymora's Luck, Walinda, was a great villainess.

Those have been in my To-Read stacks for a very long time. What exactly did she do that makes her great? Spanked Bane.

Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3158 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2011 :  06:17:13  Show Profile  Send Lord Karsus an AOL message Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Those have been in my To-Read stacks for a very long time. What exactly did she do that makes her great? Spanked Bane.

-She embodied being a Banite very well- was evil, masochistic, wasn't averse to using her "womanly wiles" to get what she wanted, that kind of stuff- while, at the same time, was physically and emotionally/psychologically abused by her superior (which I won't say who he/she/it was, since you haven't read it yet). A very realistic character- and, she gets moreso in Tymora's Luck, based on decisions she makes.

Elves of Faerūn
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2011 :  06:24:28  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

So she's insane. But then again, what villainess isn't?

How bad was her masochism? Like Dolgan's? Thoroughly enjoying pain?

Edited by - Dennis on 01 May 2011 06:51:57
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2011 :  19:36:04  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I forgot to list Yaphyll, who might have survived the War of the Zulkirs when she sent half of herself into the future. A powerful, accomplished, evil Diviner can do things worse than torture or death.

Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3747 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2011 :  00:04:00  Show Profile  Click to see Alystra Illianniis's MSN Messenger address Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, like tell you who's going to win the next five Presidential elections......

My stories:

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2011 :  04:33:15  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

And what makes a Diviner more formidable is when she can counter any truth spells. By then she could easily manipulate anyone. She could tell what lies needed to change or facilitate a future outcome.

Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2012 :  09:28:13  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

Yeah i have to agree with that. Hope should be a distinct person not yet another incarnation of Jean. I was frankly happy when Mageneto killed her err again. Besides i never liked this whole mutant extinction thing in the first place.
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2012 :  09:34:44  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh i voted for Iyraclea by the way as i was impressed with her dastardliness and power in The Rage.
Hmm it seems that pretty much all the female villians have been killed off yet for a few like Quenthel who is the The Expletive Queen of Menzoberranza. i suppose they are already reminiscing about the good old days under old Matron Banrae.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2012 :  11:50:08  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Iyraclea wouldn't have died. She just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time, with the wrong kind of people.

Edited by - Dennis on 26 Jan 2012 11:50:33
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3085 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2012 :  13:57:08  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Iyraclea wouldn't have died. She just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time, with the wrong kind of people.

Bad luck has to find some characters

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Icelander
Master of Realmslore

1355 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2012 :  16:01:39  Show Profile  Visit Icelander's Homepage Send Icelander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have to say that I am not a fan of archvillains, -esses or otherwise.

I do like conflict and I'm not averse to one or more sides involved in that conflict to be something that the reader could feel is 'double-plus-ungood', but I am much more in favour of political factions including a lot of different people than a singular evil mastermind employing faceless minions.

I did vote for Scyllua Darkhope, as I found her an interesting character and would have liked to see more focus on her in the 1370s era. In fact, one slumbering storyline* in my campaign involves knights sworn to her service defending the people of Scardale from various dangers. They aim to answer Cormyrean, Dalelands and Sembian propaganda about Zhentil Keep by their actions, behaving with courage, honour and nobility. Thus, they hope to make Scyllua's name s source of hope for the people of Scardale, making it far more likely that she will be accepted as heir to the rulership there in time.

Remember that few people imagine themselves to be the 'bad guys' and while some may have patently ridiculous and self-serving justifications for their actions, others may well be more admirable than characters ostensibly on the 'right' side. There are rabidly racist and bigoted Dalesmen, conniving and self-serving Cormyrean nobles and plenty of greedy and ruthless Sembians.

Scardale is a valuable piece of real estate with a potential port that could be leveraged into control of Dragon Reach trade in the future. Most of the polities around it either want it desperately or are equally desperate to prevent their enemies from having it. That kind of land-grab race isn't going to produce clear good vs. evil, it's going to reveal that the good guys don't always have lily-white motives or methods and that the bad guys couldn't hope to win if they didn't provide some benefits to those who allied with them.

*That is, certain events are taking place in the world, but unless the PCs choose to get involved, based on various hints and rumours they have heard, they will unfold off-screen and just make for more rumours they hear.

Za uspiekh nashevo beznadiozhnovo diela!

Forgotten Realms fans, please sign a petition to re-release the FR Interactive Atlas
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2012 :  07:42:01  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by entreri3478

quote:

Bad luck has to find some characters

In the first place, Lady Luck was not her patron deity. Things could have been different....and better for her. Pity on her that she's a subject of a deity who's nearly as whimsical as Lolth.

It's one of the reasons I don't normally like priests. They are far too dependent on their patrons. Without their patron gods, they're nothing...

Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2012 :  09:55:35  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thats not necessarily true. I mean look at Erevis , he would still be a highly skilled thief and assassin even if Mask had not chosen him. Though Admittedly he wouldn't have ascended to godhood or saved the world.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2018 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000