Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Sub-genres and the Realms
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Lady Fellshot
Senior Scribe

USA
379 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2010 :  01:09:08  Show Profile  Visit Lady Fellshot's Homepage Send Lady Fellshot a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I just realized that I've been operating under an assumption that most Realms novels fall into an "adventure" category. We already know that the Realms fall pretty squarely into the fantasy genre but what about subgroupings? I haven't read all the Realms novels out there and my sample size should be bigger.

Could we compile a list of novels with what you think their subgenres (mystery, horror, adveture, romance etc.) are? A novel can fall into more than one subgenre too.

Rants and reviews that interest no one may be found here.

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2010 :  01:19:53  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, there were the Realms of Mystery and Realms of Infamy. Many of the compilations have different sub-groupings. I haven't read all the FR novels out there (I know, I know, I am a heathen), but there are elements of mystery, horror and romance through many of the novels. I wouldn't say that they are predominantly those elements, but have strong leaning towards them.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2011 :  22:11:01  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Murder in Cormyr & Murder in Halruaa= Mystery :)

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2011 :  00:21:56  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow, that's an ambitious undertaking. I'll throw in my personal classifications of my novels, to get the list going:

Ghostwalker = western/revenge fantasy

Depths of Madness = horror fantasy

Shadowbane series: Downshadow, Shadowbane, Eye of Justice = heroic fantasy

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2011 :  12:19:58  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

This may not come as a surprise... I'd like to see a GLBT Realms novel. Maybe it's too unlikely for now, given how homosexuality is tackled in some of the recent novels.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2011 :  16:44:37  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'll play:

Queen of the Depths: Spy novel.

The Black Bouquet: Crime/caper novel.
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2011 :  17:11:32  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

This may not come as a surprise... I'd like to see a GLBT Realms novel. Maybe it's too unlikely for now, given how homosexuality is tackled in some of the recent novels.

For the record, so would I.

Though it seems most likely it would be a major theme, rather than the book being a "GLBT" novel (ie where that's the point of the book). But a novel with a GLBT main character and/or a significant GLBT romance subplot would be awesome.

I myself have written a number of GLBT characters and subplots, but they've never crosses into being the main story. (Heck, having two female characters kiss in a non-sexual way was enough to bring out plenty of anti-gay trolls to slam one of my books. Not that I don't welcome the fight. Because I do.)

Cheers

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2011 :  17:30:42  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

quote:

For the record, so would I.

Though it seems most likely it would be a major theme, rather than the book being a "GLBT" novel (ie where that's the point of the book). But a novel with a GLBT main character and/or a significant GLBT romance subplot would be awesome.

I myself have written a number of GLBT characters and subplots, but they've never crosses into being the main story. (Heck, having two female characters kiss in a non-sexual way was enough to bring out plenty of anti-gay trolls to slam one of my books. Not that I don't welcome the fight. Because I do.)

Cheers

Cheers

Perhaps WotC should realize that even non-gay people do read GLBT-themed novels.

Are you comfortable having gay men as heroes and/or villains in your book?

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2011 :  00:10:21  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Perhaps WotC should realize that even non-gay people do read GLBT-themed novels.
Are you comfortable having gay men as heroes and/or villains in your book?
I already do have such characters, though I don't generally go out of my way to make their orientation blindingly obvious. In the Realms, sexual orientation is much less clear-cut than in our own world.

If it's pertinent to the plot, I do make it clear, however.

I would suggest that if we're going to talk more about this, we should do it over PMs, since this subject is wandering from the OP and has the tendency to become a hand grenade topic.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2011 :  00:58:24  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cormyr and Evermeet are dynastic historical fiction.
Go to Top of Page

James P. Davis
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
244 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2011 :  07:28:39  Show Profile  Visit James P. Davis's Homepage Send James P. Davis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll play too! Let's see, with 'dark fantasy' as a cover-all I'll try to identify the different flavors of dark...

BLOODWALK (adventure)
SHIELD OF WEEPING GHOSTS (ghost story)
RESTLESS SHORE (Lovecraftian)
CIRCLE OF SKULLS (apocalyptic mystery)

How's that?

"Everybody is a book of blood; wherever we're opened, we're red."--Clive Barker

FR: RotD2:"Possessions"
Wizards:Bloodwalk
Citadels: The Shield of Weeping Ghosts
Wilds: The Restless Shore
Ed Greenwood Presents Waterdeep: Circle of Skulls (May 2010)
Book trailers: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jC-ska7ohVk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfvFdQ8bLp0
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2011 :  08:08:23  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

The Realms should have a Humor sub-category. It would definitely attract thousands of new readers.

Go to Top of Page

Yoss
Learned Scribe

USA
259 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2011 :  10:45:03  Show Profile Send Yoss a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was going to say something about it being presented somewhat of a history book (would that be fictional history historical fiction, then?), but the FR wiki page kind cleans that up a bit with its "elven history opera" description of Evermeet.
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2011 :  13:46:44  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The Realms should have a Humor sub-category. It would definitely attract thousands of new readers.

I found Once Around the Realms to be very humorous

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2011 :  15:52:32  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I don't know, comedic writing is both difficult and very subjective. And I'm not convinced comedy for comedy's sake makes for a good or interesting story.

I think comedy is a better tool to be used to enhance any story, rather than as the basis for a story. It's the sort of thing that could apply to anything, because you can make anything* funny.

Cheers

(*Some things more easily than others, of course!)

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2011 :  16:07:09  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

It's the sort of thing that could apply to anything, because you can make anything* funny.

Cheers

(*Some things more easily than others, of course!)

Were you channelling Terry Pratchett there, friend Erik?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2011 :  17:58:59  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I don't know, comedic writing is both difficult and very subjective. And I'm not convinced comedy for comedy's sake makes for a good or interesting story.

Read Christopher Moore's novels. You'll know what I mean.

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2011 :  18:37:40  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Read Christopher Moore's novels. You'll know what I mean.

I will look into those. Are they comedy for comedy's sake, or are they actual stories that happen to be hilarious?

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2011 :  18:44:42  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Most of them are comedy of manners with a dash of fantasy.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000