Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 who do u want to see novelized?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2010 :  23:15:20  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Poll Question:
Ok, here we go. Which of the famous
NPC's of the realms would u like to
see in their own novel? Name them off
and maybe well be sending WOTC a
message.
I apologise if I mispell
anything.

Choices:

Srinshee
Larloch
Hesperdan
Halaster
Any one of the Seven Sisters?
Mirt
Durnan
Durnal Silverhand
Manshoon
Other
Other

(Anonymous Vote)

Edited by - althen artren on 28 Sep 2010 23:21:37

Iluvrien
Acolyte

United Kingdom
49 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2010 :  23:32:56  Show Profile  Visit Iluvrien's Homepage Send Iluvrien a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Other. Filfaeril Selzair Obarskyr.

(Or Laspeera Inthre [nee.Naerinth])
Go to Top of Page

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2010 :  23:46:11  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Who's Hesperdan?

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Creature Feature: Giant Spiders
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2010 :  23:57:00  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Halaster.

I'd write that novel in a heartbeat, if it were on the table.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2010 :  00:00:06  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
More Fox at Twilight

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

GRYPHON
Senior Scribe

USA
527 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2010 :  00:31:57  Show Profile Send GRYPHON a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Manshoon and the Srinshee...
Go to Top of Page

Kilvan
Senior Scribe

Canada
894 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2010 :  00:35:22  Show Profile Send Kilvan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Manshoon! (as in, the Manshoon war please!)
Go to Top of Page

froglegg
Learned Scribe

317 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2010 :  00:54:42  Show Profile Send froglegg a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Alias and Dragon Bait! So I voted other.

John

Long live Alias and Dragonbait! Kate Novak and Jeff Grubb the Realms need you more then ever!

On my word as a sage nothing within these pages is false, but not all of it may prove to be true. - Elminster of Shadowdale

The Old Grey Box gets better with age!

Edited by - froglegg on 29 Sep 2010 00:55:47
Go to Top of Page

Penknight
Senior Scribe

USA
538 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2010 :  01:04:22  Show Profile Send Penknight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I voted "other" since I'd love to see more on Cythara by Mr. de Bie.

Telethian Phoenix
Pathfinder Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2010 :  01:34:54  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bladewind, Hesperdan is a member of the Zhent Network
who is a powerful, secretive, and mysterious figure in
the backround. He may or may not be human or male.
The only writings I've seen him on stage in a novel is
in the Knights trilogy where he makes some interesting
statements, like he was there for the creation of the
mythal at Myth Drannor (true or not true), and that HE's
pushing Fzoul to run the network and has plans for Manshoon.
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2010 :  01:36:59  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think a RSE would be a great one shot for Larloch to star in his own
novel. World spannging, armies of undead fighting each other, maybe
whatever he's protecting Faerun against.

But I voted for the Srinshee, because I love her.

So Erik, what direction would u go in with Halaster. A typical day
in Undermountain?

Edited by - althen artren on 29 Sep 2010 01:38:04
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2010 :  02:09:16  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bladewind

Who's Hesperdan?

Hesperdan exists as a very powerful, shadowy figure within the Zhentarim who basically allowed Manshoon and now Fzoul to be the head honcho of the organisation [for reasons unknown] and that Elminster, knowing this, masquerades as Hesperdan on occasion to muck about with Zhent plots and personnel OR Elminster IS Hesperdan, using this guise to destabilise the Zhentarim on needful occasions. Ed hasn't seen fit to confirm which is the correct theory but did obliquely state that one was correct.

He appears in Hand of Fire. Hesperdan also appears in the short story "How Wisdom Came to the Maimed Wizard", which was re-printed in the anthology The Best of the Realms, Book II: The Stories of Ed Greenwood [a.k.a. "The Best of Eddie"]. There isn't much more, officially.

And this from Ed, in Jan '06:-

"You’re very, very welcome, George. As always. I salute you as a tireless Lorelord of the Realms, rescuing us all time and time again.
As to why “How Wisdom Came To The Maimed Wizard” made you think Elminster has been masquerading as Hesperdan (or may be Hesperdan)? Must be the very broad hints I wrote into it.
I’ll keep to hinting rather than confirming outright, but someone dwelling in the Realms who attended certain Magefairs would insist that El and Hesperdan are two separate people (because they were seen in the same place at the same time, though not actually standing and talking together). Which of course strengthens the “masquerading as” possibility (the other weakening further when one considers how hard it would be to do all that El does and still have time to put in any appearances as Hesperdan at all: a Zhent whose survival may well be imperilled, in such an authoritarian organization, by unexplained absences). Which in turn raises the why (exactly) is Elminster adopting the guise of Hesperdan, and also HOW is he managing it (is Hesperdan in cahoots with him? Under his total domination? Can be subsumed mentally, as El “takes over” the body, due to some already-cast spell or curse or . . .?
We just don’t know. Yet. I can let slip that Hesperdan has an important future role to play, but we may not see much of it “onstage,” as it were.
Which should leave a lot of scribes going: Hmmm.
Which is as good a place as any to take my leave. :}

So saith Ed. Slyly bailing old dog that he is.
Oh, yes: he hasn’t forgotten that Gerath Hoan asked about Hesperdan, too, and hopes G - H will see from this reply that for the nonce Ed can’t be more specific about the mysterious Hesperdan . . .
love,
THO"

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2010 :  02:13:43  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Manshoon was my vote
Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2010 :  02:41:41  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Voted "other". The characters I want to see will not appear again in novels, as 4e has made most of them obsolete.

I would have loved to see more of
-Jack Ravenwild
-Danilo Than
-Aeron sar Randal

and Pharaun Mizzrim.

Regarding the options given in this poll, Mirt seems very interesting to me, I am imagining a city setting with lots of atmosphere, little fighting only and good details and dialogues.

"You make an intriguing offer, one that is very tempting. It would seem that I have little alternative than to answer thusly: DISINTEGRATE!" Vaarsuvius, Order of the Stick 625
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2010 :  03:57:09  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've said more than once that I'd love to see a series on Manshoon, with each book focusing on a different clone.

I'd also love to see more of just about any of Elaine's characters, or those of Kate Novak and Jeff Grubb.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2010 :  04:06:35  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I've said more than once that I'd love to see a series on Manshoon, with each book focusing on a different clone.
Agreed. I wasn't joking when I originally come up with my idea for an "Attack of the Manshoon Clones" series.

Of the possibilities listed however, I'd have to say Hesperdan. Granted, I play things a little differently in my Realms when it comes to Hesperdan -- as it stands, currently, I still like Ed's theory on Elminster actually BEING Hesperdan. And that it is El's wish to use the Herperdan personae to create instability within the network of the Zhentarim... when necessary. But any new official lore would be just as welcome.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 29 Sep 2010 04:09:38
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2010 :  05:02:07  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sfdragon

More Fox at Twilight

quote:
Originally posted by Penknight

Both of you saers, keep reading.

quote:
Originally posted by althen artren

in Undermountain?
Well, I've written one novel with some hints about Undermountain (Downshadow) and the D&D Encounters season 1 was about Halaster and his Lost Apprentice. Probably, I would pluck up those story threads and get back to weaving.

(Which I suppose is a way of not actually answering the question. Mwahaha!)

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2010 :  09:31:41  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I did not vote - there are two "Other"...

But I'd love to see more about:
1. Filfaeril
2. Danilo & Arilyn
3. Alea Dahast

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2010 :  13:46:38  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I voted Halaster but could have easily voted for Manshoon or Larloch, because I want to see all of them novelized as the protagonist.

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2010 :  14:04:00  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll vote Hesperdan then! Getting to see Zhentarim covert ops from the inside could make for a nail-biting, suspence filled experience. Reading about FR's Zhents wheeling and dealing in the cutt-throat parts of the Realms would create some much needed favourable spotlight for the Zhentarim. Classic 70's Spy Fiction with cold war undertones but set between Sembia and Cormyr, with Hesperdan on covert missions against both the Purple Dragons and the Shadovar.

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Creature Feature: Giant Spiders
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2010 :  17:39:25  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I voted for Srinshee, but I, too, would have liked to see more of Danilo, and Arilyn as well. But they DID supposedly have kids, maybe....?

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

Elfinblade
Senior Scribe

Norway
377 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2010 :  18:05:44  Show Profile Send Elfinblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Halaster. In a close second is Manshoon. :)

EDIT: I'd also like to see a novel of Lamruil by Elaine :)

Edited by - Elfinblade on 30 Sep 2010 16:04:42
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2010 :  21:22:53  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

quote:
Originally posted by sfdragon

More Fox at Twilight

quote:
Originally posted by Penknight

Both of you saers, keep reading.

quote:

in Undermountain?
Well, I've written one novel with some hints about Undermountain (Downshadow) and the D&D Encounters season 1 was about Halaster and his Lost Apprentice. Probably, I would pluck up those story threads and get back to weaving.

(Which I suppose is a way of not actually answering the question. Mwahaha!)

Cheers

I plan on keeping reading... otherwise its time wasted on pc games

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Mr_Miscellany
Senior Scribe

545 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2010 :  21:35:19  Show Profile Send Mr_Miscellany a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Larloch! I want his history in detail. Plus all the info about his defenses, etc... (sounds like I need a sourcebook, not a novel).

Halaster a very close second.
Go to Top of Page

Penknight
Senior Scribe

USA
538 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2010 :  23:15:45  Show Profile Send Penknight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh!! Is there an upcoming book with Cythara as a character? I thought she was great, as you know from our previous chats. And Telethian really enjoyed meeting her in our tabletop game, by the way.

Telethian Phoenix
Pathfinder Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2010 :  23:58:16  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Halaster for sure - his history would be fascinating - he's out-lasted half a dozen impossibly powerful magical empires.

By himself, he is at least trilogy-worthy. I think of him as the "Elminster that didn't work out".

In my homebrew, I've even connected him to Thaeravel (hey - he had to be somewhere keeping busy during the Netherease empire).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2010 :  00:06:12  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wanted to include the prince of Evermeet, but darn it couldn't remember his name.
I also thought of the inventor of mythrallar but couldn't remember his name either.
Leader of the Dark elves before the Sundering, there are all sorts of possibilities.
Go to Top of Page

Joran Nobleheart
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2010 :  00:28:30  Show Profile  Visit Joran Nobleheart's Homepage Send Joran Nobleheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You mean Lamruil? And Ioulaum created the mythallar, I believe.

Paladinic Ethos
Saint Joran Nobleheart
Go to Top of Page

Sandro
Learned Scribe

New Zealand
266 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2010 :  01:24:55  Show Profile Send Sandro a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Personally, it'd have to be Larloch -- Netherese arcanist who survives the fall? Yes please.

Close second would be Manshoon, and if Hesperdan happened to show up in those novels I would not at all be disappointed.

"Gods, little fishes, and spells to turn the one to the other," Mordenkainen sighed. "It's started already..."
Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2010 :  09:22:21  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I wanted to include the prince of Evermeet, but darn it couldn't remember his name.
I also thought of the inventor of mythrallar but couldn't remember his name either.
Leader of the Dark elves before the Sundering, there are all sorts of possibilities.

Lamruil, Ioulaum, and Ka'Narlist?
Go for the third one!

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

_Jarlaxle_
Senior Scribe

Germany
584 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2010 :  09:50:38  Show Profile Send _Jarlaxle_ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There are allready Novels with Ka'Narlist. He plays some part in Evermeet and there is at least one short story with him where he creates the suaghin race.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000