Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 The Scroll of my Campaign
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

EltonJ
Learned Scribe

USA
101 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2010 :  06:08:49  Show Profile  Visit EltonJ's Homepage Send EltonJ a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
(The Sage, you are free to move this to an appropriate area)

For Queen and Country!

Episode 1.01 -- "The Black Cloak, pt. 1"

I started everyone in the town square. Ramien, the soldier, Maria, the 9 year old child spellcasting prodigy; Rayne, the old knight; and an orc from Obould's kingdom known as Kyrgan. Maria was there with her guardian, Kale.

The Year is 1372, the Year of Wild Magic. The place: the Island of Alaron in the Moonshaes in a sleepy port town named Warbury. The day started out chaotic enough. The young girl bought some chocolates (which is imported from Maztica), Kyrgan was trying to buy some rope, and Ramien stood guard. Rayne didn't arrive until later.

Kyrgan was testing some rope and he made it stretch. In fact, he pulled it part. Feeling threatened that his rope pulling would scare away customers, the Rope merchant threw out Kyrgan. Even Kyrgan's pet lynx couldn't stop the incensed shop keeper with it's enchanting big cute kitten eyes.

Tossed ceremoniously out of the shop, Kyrgan had his pride hurt. Although he couldn't speak Ffolk or the common trade tongue very well. Kyrgan was out just five minutes when the shop keeper threw him the coil of rope he ruined. However, everything nearly changed when Manshoon, a.k.a. Tobias; arrived in the Moonshaes. Tobias was a masked man who walked through the town square. No one noticed him except Ramien, who tried to follow him, not knowing who he was. Manshoon turned around to reveal his masked face, then melted into the crowd. Ramien couldn't find him after that.

Maria found some children to play with the whole time. Rayne made his appearance and was following Ramien. And Kyrgan went to buy some new bow strings. Maria finds out that Kyrgan was not accepted in Alaron for being an orc. Kyrgan, however, was talking to the Bowyer's apprentice who was masquerading as a boy.

The bowyer's apprentice was so enamored with the orc that she inspected him closely, traded two copper coins for the sinew bow string, and promptly announced, "I want to have your babies." Then she fainted. Kyrgan thought she said something about rabies.

Kyrgan picked up the young girl when there was commotion out in the street again. Kale was poisoned with Sharkamar, a powerful, slow acting poison that causes one to be short of breath and go pale and die with in a day. However, none of the PCs could tell it was Sharkamar.

Maria was ecstatic, and everyone was concerned, except Kyrgan, who wanted a healer for his swooning teen. When he set her down, she regained consciousness enough to say, "I want to have your babies" to Kyrgan before fainting again. Everyone tried to explain to Kyrgan that the girl likes him a lot.

Anyway, Rayne managed to summon a druid, who came as quickly as he could. He then told everyone that Kale needed to be transported to his home as quickly as possible. The druid announced that it was Sharkamar, a poison made from Black Lotus roots. The poison is made in Kara-Tur and is transported over the Silk Route through the Hordelands. And Thayans tend to use it.

The cure is Athlas, or Kingsfoil, when properly applied as a tea or an infusion. The druid applied it, but not being an ordained king Kale couldn't make the miraculous recovery. Kale had to stay with him for few days to regain his strength.

Maria wanted to stay, but Rayne convinced everyone to retire at his manor house to decide what to do next.

----

Unanswered Questions for the PCs: Why is the black cloaked mask man doing giving Ramien bad vibes? Who shot Kale with poison?

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2010 :  07:51:27  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Regarding that pet lynx with the cute kitten eyes- you sure Kyrgan's not an Ogre?! That cat doesn't wear boots, does it, lol?

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

EltonJ
Learned Scribe

USA
101 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2010 :  22:28:12  Show Profile  Visit EltonJ's Homepage Send EltonJ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, I'm sure. hehehe.

Go to Top of Page

EltonJ
Learned Scribe

USA
101 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2010 :  22:33:59  Show Profile  Visit EltonJ's Homepage Send EltonJ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As an aside, I got more info on my cousin's character. He told me that he's essentially agnostic. He gives lip service to Correllon Larethian but he is attracted to Eilistraee. Mostly because he stumbled on one of the worshiper's nightly rituals. hehehe.

Naked dancing elves and naked hunting elves, what's not to like, eh?
Go to Top of Page

Dracons
Learned Scribe

USA
299 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2010 :  22:50:47  Show Profile  Visit Dracons's Homepage Send Dracons a Private Message  Reply with Quote
(Sorry for interrupting). Wow. This looks great. I should look into these play by post games. I wasn't sure any would accept me.

I love PMs! Please send me a message. Even if its Hi.
Go to Top of Page

EltonJ
Learned Scribe

USA
101 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2010 :  04:55:23  Show Profile  Visit EltonJ's Homepage Send EltonJ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Episode 1.02 - "The Beast of Rayne's Manor"

The Action started in Rayne's recieving room. Rayne is rich enough to buy and import purple. Rayne had other business to attend to. They were discussing the strange man who was seen in the town square lately. A serving girl came and brought some food. But Kyrgan the orc demanded some rabbit. Maria, the 9 year old magician, is wondering whether the strange man was Manshoon or some member of the Black Cloaks of the Zhentarim.

The serving girl went out, got the gameskeeper, who brought a rabbit. The gameskeeper then said that she had something to do, hunt a beast that is like the Beast of Exmoor, or the Beast of Bodmin Moor.

Everyone volunteered for the mission. First, she led them to the pasture where the cattle was grazing and they found a bull that had been killed and eaten. While Ramien was looking at the evidence, Kyrgan noticed a coyote and thought he was the beast. Using his lunch, he attracted the coyote out. As he did so, Maria thought they were dealing with a jaguar, but Ramien knew it's a leopard.

The coyote took the lunch and darted off, but Kyrgan struck it down (scoring an "E" puncture critical strike!) with his bow and dispatched it. This made Maria angry and she asked him why he did that for. Kyrgan felt remorse for killing the coyote while Ramien discovered the tracks again and led them through the forest.

When they tracked it to the forest, it was getting dark. But as they worked out what they were going to do, and with the gameskeeper feeling infatuated with Kyrgan, it didn't help much that they heard a growl.

Maria cast a mighty firewall to block the beast, which was flanking them in the brush. The beast went around the fire wall and came out, looking at Ramien straight in the eye.

Kyrgan was dazed by the fire and Ramien had to do something. He shot at it, but missed, the arrow glancing by. The beast, which was a dire lion, roared and was about to pounce when Maeg the gameskeeper moved in front of Maria to protect her. Maria shot off a Fire Bolt (comparable to Melf's Acid Arrow but made of fire) and struck the beast as it turned to flee. The beast was struck down and Kyrgan moved in for the kill even as Ramien shot it. Ramien shot it through the mouth and Kyrgan slashed it's ribcage open. It died of loss of blood and 3rd degree burns.

Maria dismissed the fire but her fire started a wild fire and both Kyrgan and Ramien managed to put it out. They returned to get their clothes cleaned and to have a bath.

Questions unanswered: Is Manshoon in the Moonshaes? Are there more dire lions? And who poisoned uncle Kane?

Picture of the Dire Lion can be found here.

Edited by - EltonJ on 10 Oct 2010 04:58:31
Go to Top of Page

EltonJ
Learned Scribe

USA
101 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2010 :  14:40:35  Show Profile  Visit EltonJ's Homepage Send EltonJ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello, everyone!

My group is finally kicking off on their first cave adventure, getting them ready to run through some Dungeon Modules (I'm using the Medusa's Lair from Oone Games).

I'll give a summary here in a second. In the meantime, they will be second level when they start the run in the cave system.

The reason? A girl has been kidnapped! By the evil Sir Tarquin no less.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000