Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Realms Horror Campaign: A Halloween Adventue!
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4430 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2010 :  04:31:06  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Pretty much as the name implies. As my favorite holiday is fast approaching (and the whole month is just awesome in general) I want to run a month long, 4 to 5 sessions campaign of horror that ends on All Saints Day. But I really need some ideas as what to do, where to start (Realms area that is), and just how horrific to make it. As it were, my group wants to use some current characters we have and they utilize the 4E rule-set. But don't let that discourage anyone from posting their ideas as I've been able to adjust/convert many 3E/2E ideas into the new set. And we're around level 10, so ideas of taking on Orcus aren't going to be helpful, lol.

Idea 1: Run Return to Castle Ravenloft (4E homebrew conversion). There is an out line for a quick, 4 - 5 session version of the adventure that I could run. Plus they did Strad's stats in 4E so that makes it quite easier. But if I DO use that book I'd like to keep it in Ravenloft and I'd like to run the book as is (meaning using 3.5) in the future.

Idea 2: Zombie Apoc. campaign that ravages the Sword Coast and the PCs have to stop it before it hits Baldur's Gate and spreads to the rest of Faerun. Sorta cut'n dry and my wife really dislikes the whole end of the world/apocolapse idea so that's on the back burner.

Idea 3: A rift into the Shadowfell (or Plane of Shadow) allows a dark menace to emerge into the Realms. It's not powerful...yet..so the PCs have to take it on before it's too late and an Elder Evil is set loose onto the material plane.

Idea 4: The Cult of the Dragon devise a plan to bring back the dead dracolich deity Falizure.

Idea 5: The classic Monster Mash. Throwing everything from vampires, were-wolves, Frankenstein, Ghosts and wraiths, to the kitchen sink ripped of it's own accord from a crazy haunted house at the PCs. I like this idea but it doesn't make any sense and it sounds sorta cheesey.

I'd really welcome further ideas and please feel free to draw from any source matter (Call of Cthulhu, Resident Evil, Dracula, The Exorcist) to come up with an awesome halloween campaign.

As for how much horror to add in, I'm an advocate for harsh, glaring violence and gore. The creeper, disgusting, depraved, monsters and plot the better.

As a side note ~ Has anyone run a horror campaign before? If so, feel free to give an accounting for what you did and how it went. Plus, I'm motivated to use props and outside effects to make it more scary. We've tried candles before but it's bothersome since it's hard to see the Miniatures and character sheets. And if you use references from previous editions, I have Examplars of Evil, Book of Vile Darkness, Heroes of Horror, and ALL the monster manuals for 3e/3.5 PLUS Open Grave and 2 of 3 Monster Manuals for 4E so if you can think it up, I can produce it!

Much thanks!

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2010 :  07:20:00  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm interested in this myself...I'm a huge Lovecraft fan; so I'm interested in seeing others takes on running a horror game. I was going to try and do the same; but I fell on my face because I just couldn't get the feel for it.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2010 :  09:09:56  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah! I ran a haunted house adventure once that was quite fun. It involved a mad wizard who summoned a barghest which promptly escaped and killed everyone in the mansion, causing the inhabitants to all become undead, some through magical backlash of the failed containment circle, others as incorporeal spirits. The house had all sorts of nasty traps and magic hazards, as well. One of my favorites was a covered pit trap with an ooze at the bottom, combined with a mimic in the shape of a mirror with a runic inscription, to encourage players to examine it up close and thus fall prey to the trap. Or the mimic. Either way, it's wicked fun! There were lots of clues to what had happened, and part of the fun involved a displacer guardian "pet" that got loose in a hedge maze labyrinth. Just for that "Beyond the Looking Glass" factor. Another fun bit was the kitchen full of animated cutlery! And for the hook? The players had "inherited" the manor as a "reward" for service to the kingdom- but the Court Steward forgot to mention what happened to the previous owner! A real "fixer-upper" if ya' know what I mean. And the piece de' resistance? A wall of force aquarium filled with pihrana, that was the entrance to the wizard's hidden treasury. And I even had an indoor pool full of drowned zombies, and a trap that was based on musical scales to guard the door to the lab, with blades coming out of the walls as "sharps" if the wrong "key" was used to open the door. (They were labeled A,B, and C- guess which one was the right key? Yes, I'm THAT evil...) And of course, the barghest was still running around, too.

Anywho, these are just a few of the things I tortured my players with, so feel free to use any of them you like.

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4430 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2010 :  15:52:46  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Alystra that sounds hilarious and loads of fun! If I go the Haunted Mansion route, I'll definitly be taking some of those ideas. And I love the wall of force pihrana tank idea, priceless lol.

How about ideas where I should place this mini-campaign at? We're currently located near Neverwinter, the Sea of Swords on a ship called the Crimson Dawn. I figured we could do a campaign on a reomote island or somwhere on the Sword Coast though I'm not opposed to major teleportation or something like in the movie "The Final Countdown".
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2010 :  19:32:41  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have never run a Horror campaign, but anytime I was running a campaign (and a couple of times 'guest DMing') in October, I felt obliged to run a Horror adventure. If it was my own campaign (meeting weekly) I would try to spread it out across the entire month.

One perticular adventure I designed was so gruesome that I was told I should send it in to Dungeon as a Ravenloft adventure. It grew from a small idea I had for a single session back when I ran Greyhawk, and later I turned it into a full story-arc for FR.

It was called The InnKeeper's Wife, but to the players that got to experience it, I called it The Children of Durnham.

'Nuff said.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2010 :  00:42:55  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Diffan, I'm glad you like my idea. It is really just a large two-story manor house that can be placed in just about any locale that is a little out of the way. Mine was on a large estate a day or two from the main city of my campaign at the time. (In my home-brew world of Anterris.) Part of the fun was in the players realizing that they had been hoodwinked by the kingdom's rulers into "cleaning up" the mess left by the former owner's demise, in the guise of a "reward"! And if you work it right, it really CAN be a nice reward after your players finish getting rid of all the pesky ghosts, zombies, and such. Then they can sell it, move in and use it as a base, or whatever.

Alternately, since you are already on a ship, if you want some spooky fun, you could hunt down the old "Phantom's Wake" module from 2nd ed. It's got some ghostly and undead fun, too. And your players will be fighting each other to figure out who will be left behind on the ghost ship when they try to use the astrolabe to escape!! (I HATED it when my hubby ran that module, because I managed to pick up the cursed "Black Pearl", as well as ending up stranded on the ship...) Heck, you could even use the mystery of the ship as the vehicle to later introduce the mansion. (Hmm, Black Pearl, ghost ship, and Haunted Mansion... I'm smelling Disneyland, here!!)

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:

Go to Top of Page

Ionik Knight
Learned Scribe

USA
222 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2010 :  01:27:06  Show Profile  Visit Ionik Knight's Homepage Send Ionik Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have two suggestions.
1. The party has run afoul of something powerful enough to curse them in such a way that they must fulfill the cure's conditions; rather than getting a simple remove curse. This can be the hook to drag them into any eldritch horror you care to craft.
2. Rats...lots and lots of rats. Someone has hidden an artifact in the sewers/catacombs of the PC's city. Said artifact is summoning rats. It starts small, increased rat sightings...rumors of cats disappearing. Then the drunks and untended infants turn up eaten. Gradually building into an all out assault of wave after wave of rats. Until the PC's find a way to get rid of the artifact.

Fools to right of them,
Jesters to left of them,
Clowns in front of them
Pun'd and parody'd.
Go to Top of Page

Xevo
Acolyte

USA
35 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2010 :  03:20:21  Show Profile Send Xevo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Turn their environment against them. Make the PCs speculate what is haunting them or stalking them, etc...One tool I found that works great, is using some of the undead in a way that the books never do. A simple ghost for example. Use the spirit like you see in Poltergeist or Paranormal Activity. Heck even look at real world hauntings (Amityville Horror). But the key is not to let the PCs know what is assailing them. Do lots of weird, off the wall stuff. Whatever creepy comes to mind: melting mirrors, the PC's reflections making like they are wanting to attack but can't get to them, disembodied whispers, or even just moving small objects in small ways, but enough so the PCs notice. The kicker is not worrying how these things are happening. Because if you have no idea, then neither do the players. When it becomes obvious that their lives are on the line and they can't figure out what is going on, believe me, you will have them scared.

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
-Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Xevo
Acolyte

USA
35 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2010 :  03:21:30  Show Profile Send Xevo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Turn their environment against them. Make the PCs speculate what is haunting them or stalking them, etc...One tool I found that works great, is using some of the undead in a way that the books never do. A simple ghost for example. Use the spirit like you see in Poltergeist or Paranormal Activity. Heck even look at real world hauntings (Amityville Horror). But the key is not to let the PCs know what is assailing them. Do lots of weird, off the wall stuff. Whatever creepy comes to mind: melting mirrors, the PC's reflections making like they are wanting to attack but can't get to them, disembodied whispers, or even just moving small objects in small ways, but enough so the PCs notice. The kicker is not worrying how these things are happening. Because if you have no idea, then neither do the players. When it becomes obvious that their lives are on the line and they can't figure out what is going on, believe me, you will have them scared.

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
-Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2010 :  08:55:07  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nice. I had one of the PC's in my group that ran through the haunted house become possessedby one of the ghosts. It was harmless enough, but would not leave!! Made them really sweat while they tried to figure out what it wanted and how to get rid of it.

My stories:

Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4430 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2010 :  16:28:11  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow, those are all some really great ideas. I'm thinking about our ship becoming damaged in a storm and having to drop anchor somewhere in a remote town along the Sword Coast. This town will have some strange happenings like hauntings, a severe rat problem, multipul were-wolf attacks, and zombie/undead infestations. The town is seriously hampered by a strange "shadow" miasma that permeates the town. Most of the townsfolk would've left by now but once your inside the town's walls or area, you can't escape (think Silent Hill) though I'm not sure how I'm going to keep them from escaping....

Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2010 :  17:51:53  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ooh!! That sounds like this cursed city in my homebrew world!! It was the result of some piests putting a curse on an invading drow-led undead army that they could never leave, but it was too strong, and now NO ONE can leave, and even death is no escape, because they all rise as undead. I did that long before I'd ever even seen Silent hill, lol! The defenders were about to fall, and used the curse as a last-ditch means of stopping the army. Conquoring a city is less an accomplishment when you can't leave. sounds like you've got the makings of a great campaign. Glad to be of help!

My stories:

Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4430 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2010 :  18:35:45  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That sort of curse could work wonders! How about the town secretly being run by a lich, the result of a wizard attempting to gain arcane power after death to defeat the curse and release him from the town. When he died and gained lich-dom, the curse was stronger still, driving him insane. In his madness, he slowly corrupts the rest of the city, driving the people ever closer to his own madness.

But there is some resistance, a church of insert Deity here is holding the fort (so to speak) and keeping the plague of monsters at bay. The town could be barricaded in certain sections to reduce the attacks but it's only a matter of time before they all fall to the darkness.

Session #1: A storm wracks the ship, leaving them stranded near the city. The PCs meet the NPCs and deal with the Rat infestation that is choking off food supplies and polluting the water system. They find a strange artifact that pulses with eerie green light that attracts the rats. The item is engraved with a symbol, one not seen in quite some time that once belonged to a mage who lived in the city.

Session #2: The PCs find that the town is in a much worse condition than they imagined, having learned that they cannot escape and the Shadow-Miasma is fully in place. This means that even at high-sun, it looks like Dusk. And when night approaches, the undead horde attacks the town's defenses and finally break through the wooden palisade. Not only is it a horde, but one led by a powerful battle wight atop a skeletal steed.

I'll try to come up with more later.... this is looking really interesting!
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2010 :  19:23:11  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You could even make it more urgent by having the curse slowly wither things that come within its influence. That was one of the things I used in mine, where trees and plants died and animals would not go near the area. Those that did, usually died of starvation soon after, and then became undead!

My stories:

Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4430 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2010 :  19:34:29  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alystra Illianniis

You could even make it more urgent by having the curse slowly wither things that come within its influence. That was one of the things I used in mine, where trees and plants died and animals would not go near the area. Those that did, usually died of starvation soon after, and then became undead!

that's a really good idea. And to further expand on that, what if the survivors of the town are showing signs of taint. But now I have to make up rules for how taint works in 4E and the sorta penalties/benefits it can have.

OR.....

Do taint like the Spellscarred abilities, taking [Taint] feats that have additional benefits but with significant drawbacks.....yesssss excellent...
Go to Top of Page

Mr_Miscellany
Senior Scribe

545 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2010 :  20:44:10  Show Profile Send Mr_Miscellany a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Would playing the classic scary noises albums/tapes/cds work during play?

I've always thought those sound effects (howling wind, scream that starts loud and fades, chains dragged on stone, blood dripping, etc..) would be great in someplace like Underdark. Seems like it'd do in a horror game too.
Go to Top of Page

Xevo
Acolyte

USA
35 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2010 :  03:40:42  Show Profile Send Xevo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You could make one of the drawbacks of that "taint" be - if the tainted PCs leave the city - then they could spread it and possibly do harm to other cities if enough of the taint goes away. If the players become aware of this effect, they may stay in the city forever out of principle. You could even go a Lovecraft-ian route and have it where those with the "Taint" begin to worship it (as if they were blessed by a god).

-Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4430 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2010 :  11:12:04  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr_Miscellany

Would playing the classic scary noises albums/tapes/cds work during play?

I've always thought those sound effects (howling wind, scream that starts loud and fades, chains dragged on stone, blood dripping, etc..) would be great in someplace like Underdark. Seems like it'd do in a horror game too.

I actually have this old-school cassette of "spooky sounds" and that's exactly what I'm goind to use too. I bet I could find more or a CD with the same stuff on it. Thanks Miscellany!

quote:
Originally posted by Xevo

You could make one of the drawbacks of that "taint" be - if the tainted PCs leave the city - then they could spread it and possibly do harm to other cities if enough of the taint goes away. If the players become aware of this effect, they may stay in the city forever out of principle. You could even go a Lovecraft-ian route and have it where those with the "Taint" begin to worship it (as if they were blessed by a god).

Not a bad idea. I like the idea of using the taint and having the townsfolk start to enjoy or worship the effects of it definitly brings in a sense of dread for the PCs.
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2010 :  17:23:14  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Vote Cthulu! Because why choose the lesser evil?! (LOL!! Sorry, his comment about worshipping it a la Lovecraft just made me think of that...)

My stories:

Go to Top of Page

Cleric Generic
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
565 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2010 :  17:47:52  Show Profile  Visit Cleric Generic's Homepage Send Cleric Generic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lovecraftian stuff is fairly easy to do in the Realms, although the horror elements can be a bit tricky due to the usual nature of the PCs. I had a Lovecraftian horror romping around Waterdeep in a past game with insane cults, zombies, chest-bursters and tentacles flying all over the place. Great fun was had, but the only proper bit of horror* was largely unrelated to the Cthulhu-ness.

* The PCs found themselves trapped and hopelessly lost in the sewers without a light source and could hear zombies and victims running around and getting up to all sorts just outside their sight range.

Cedric! The Cleric Generic and Master of Disguise!

ALL HAIL LORD KARSUS!!!

Vast Realmslore Archive: Get in here and download everything! http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/archfr/rl

2e Realms book PDFs; grab em! - http://poleandrope.blogspot.com/2010/07/working-around-purge.html
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2010 :  19:46:08  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, in my adventure-arc, the Innkeeper loved his wife so much he couldn't part with her...

Even after her terrible illness....

As for the children... they just keep disappearing. The adventurers were on their way there to investigate, and happened to stop at the Nig Howl Inn (the 't' blew off the sign a couple years back) enroute, due to an unexpected storm.

The place wasn't so bad, but the moans coming from the terminally ill woman's room got worse as the night grew on...

Key to any good horror scenario is the unexpected, which is ofttimes something ordinary turned abominable. 'Werewolves' and 'Zombies' are cliche', for Halloween. Add a Cthulhuesqe twist somewhere, with something truly mind-bending (without getting all 'aberration' - leave the beholders home on this one).

Whats with the strange little girl? Or her doll? Why is the food at the local Inn so tasty? Whats the cook's 'secret'? Why does everyone in the village stop what they are doing and just stare at the adventures as they ride into town?

Build ATMOSPHERE - its crucial. You could even try playing by candlelight (and perhaps have a friend 'in on it' to scare the beejezus out of everyone at the critical moment).

Most of all, make it memorable. Create the sort of adventure that they will be talking about years from now.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 30 Sep 2010 19:46:29
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4430 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2010 :  03:42:24  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Well, in my adventure-arc, the Innkeeper loved his wife so much he couldn't part with her...

Even after her terrible illness....

As for the children... they just keep disappearing. The adventurers were on their way there to investigate, and happened to stop at the Nig Howl Inn (the 't' blew off the sign a couple years back) enroute, due to an unexpected storm.

The place wasn't so bad, but the moans coming from the terminally ill woman's room got worse as the night grew on...

Key to any good horror scenario is the unexpected, which is ofttimes something ordinary turned abominable. 'Werewolves' and 'Zombies' are cliche', for Halloween. Add a Cthulhuesqe twist somewhere, with something truly mind-bending (without getting all 'aberration' - leave the beholders home on this one).

Whats with the strange little girl? Or her doll? Why is the food at the local Inn so tasty? Whats the cook's 'secret'? Why does everyone in the village stop what they are doing and just stare at the adventures as they ride into town?

Build ATMOSPHERE - its crucial. You could even try playing by candlelight (and perhaps have a friend 'in on it' to scare the beejezus out of everyone at the critical moment).

Most of all, make it memorable. Create the sort of adventure that they will be talking about years from now.

Those are some awesome ideas there Markus. So the ideas I've got so far are this:

1. PCs come to the edge of the woods. Somethings..."off" about them. As they enter, they feels this coldness creep into their bones. The luminations slowly dimms, as if it was on the crusp of being Dusk (yet it was just past high sun when they entered). Attempts at leaving the woods the way they came are met with severe vomiting, chest pain, and knee-bending head aches. It takes all their strength just to return to the woods, let along venture back out of them. They're forced to press on.

2. Each PC starts to become affected by Sodor's Miasma. This is a taint-filled curse that affects the surrounding area of a town called Harken-Holm. I used the map for Easttown from the Heroes of Horror supplement. As they enter the town, the townsfolk are cloaked and silent. Shopping and run of the mill chores are done with a slowness that comes from depression. They do so because they must, not because they enjoy being around others. And as the PCs arrive, they stop "everything" and stare at the new comers. As the PCs interact with the townsfolk, they notice that they are suffering from a variety of corruption & depravity. Most are only affected mildly and a few are moderate. It's when they reach the severe forms that they are "casted out" so to speak.

3. Each PC will start to show very mild signs of taint and either corruption or depravity. Nothing too strict rules-wise, more for flavor and the grotesque factor. In addition, each will have some sort of affliction that is "personalized". One will constantly hear things like whispers, distant screams, maniacal laughter, and a near-constant drone of chanting. The chanting will start off small and quiet, slowly building up to where the PC can't hear anything but that sound. One will have problems with mirriors and reflections (like the movie) and it will get progressivly worse. I think i'll do one for smells and one for skin irritability too.

I like the idea of candles, but I'm not sure if I have enough to make sufficient lighting. I did, however, download like a full hour of "spooky" sounds that I can play on a CD. that's gonna be loads of fun.
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4430 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2010 :  04:35:58  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's the 1st session:

Session 1-
The PCs find themselves entering the Dread Wood (as the locals call it). This is where the Dimmen-dark Miasma (or Sodor's Miasma/curse) starts, cursing the PCs and disable the PCs chances to leave. If they are timid entering the woods, lure them in with a specter mimicking cries for help with the voice of a little girl. The PCs make their way to a town, who's name is engraved on a sign:

Welcome to Harken-Holm
Est. 1374 DR
Population: 3,172

As the PCs enter town, they realize that things are not good. They come across animal carcasses, eaten by rats, along with human remains. The town's population mill about the main street and open tents, cloaked and silent. Shopping is done with no emotions and the sky is seen for the first time since leaving the woods. It's gray and dull and seems to be on the verge of dusk. A closer inspection reveals the townsfolk are in the stages of depravity and corruption due to the taint-filled miasma. The townsfolk alert the local authorities to the new comers presence and the PCs meet the "face" of Harken-Holm. The mayor, sergeant at arms, and local priest talk to the PCs but they show little signs of the deformity, save the sergeant, who's visor is down at all times and he only motions, never speaks. They talk to the PCs about the Miasma and what's been plaguing the town. They're receptive of the PCs and attempt to make them feel at home. By showing them to an Inn called the Poised Scepter, they brief the PCs on the current plight of the town, the history and the Spellplague's affect on the town. They confess that the PCs are trapped in the town, and that while the Deformity is slowly taking the lives of the townsfolk, it takes a long time for it to happen. Harken-Holm is affect by a time-eddy, effectively slowing time to a crawl.

Though the Miasma is slow in spreading, something is speed it up and swallowing the towns dwindling structures. Not only that, but undead breakouts from "The other side" have been more frequent and have cost people their lives. The undead have been multiplying from an unknown source, yet the authorities believe that it emanates from the old cemetery at the edge of town on the "other side". To give the townsfolk the relief they need, the PCs will have to destroy the undead in the Graveyard and find out what's causing them to reanimate the corpses there. The "other side" is what the locals called the walled off sections of Harken-Holm that have been taken over by the ravages of undead hoardes, ghosts, specters, and a small cell of vampires that often venture out into the actual town of Harken-Holm. More on the Vampire Lord Gabriel and his connection to the Lich Sodor later.

Notable NPCs

Mayor Fennis Orndol - Towns spokesperson and elected official. Taint has driven him mad and he's the reason the dimmen-dark is getting larger. He's been helping the lich Sodor in converting the populace to undead minions in order to get freed from the curse and leave the city.

Sergeant Connor Brennrik - Sgt. Brennrik is a ruthless murderer who's moderate corruption has kept him from revealing his face due to his horrid visage. He gladly takes part in sending people to the "Other Side" and the occasional undead outbreaks that happen.

Brother Erland Buckley - He is the vocal cleric of Lathander and to some, the last bastion of hope for the city. His sermons are fevered with rhetoric about being faithful and devout, not losing hope and constant prayer. In truth, he's lost his way and is on the verge of turning into a Cyricist at the behest of the local apothecary run by Treven Adis. His fall from grace started on the eve he gathered over 400 men to battle the undead horde on the "other side". His campaign brought him to the very castle of the vampire lord, Gabriel Darkblood. His army was defeated and only himself and sixty eight men were able to make it back. Since then, his faith has left him and he spends his nights with nightmares of the tortures his comrades endured at the Vampire's hands.

Treven Adis - This man run the apothecary, distributing potions, elixers, and salves to the local populace. What they don't know is that he's been lightly lacing them with addictive drugs that make them ask for more and more. When they run out of money to pay or goods to trade for, he has them do little "favors" for payment. These favors are anywhere from petty larceny to homicide. Treven only runs the apothecary to cover his true motives as a priest of Cyric. His machinations have almost but turned the tried and true Brother Erland and his small cult is starting to grow. Though it only numbers about two dozen people, these ruthless monsters of corruption are almost a match for the local soldiers.

Meredith Sloan - This petite, yet muscular woman runs the local blacksmithing and armory store. She's shown little signs of being affected by taint, but she's also the newest person in town, having arrived by accident in 1429 DR. Her demeanor is short and to the point, yet when she sees the PCs, she practically breaks down in tears. Her years here have not been good as the local men seek only to make her their bride while others have tried more forcefully. Only through the help of Sgt. Brennrik and his love for bloodshed that Meredith is still alive. And she questions his motive above all the others.

Edited by - Diffan on 01 Oct 2010 04:42:53
Go to Top of Page

Joran Nobleheart
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2010 :  04:41:02  Show Profile  Visit Joran Nobleheart's Homepage Send Joran Nobleheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I personally love Halloween for the chance to run a seasonal Ravenloft campaign. My friend, I'll provide a link for you to the Fraternity of Shadows boards. Perhaps a few ideas could be implemented from there to fit in your Halloween campaign? And I have to add that there are some wonderful people on those boards, and that I'm a proud member also. They never hesitate to help and answer any questions a person might have.

Fraternity of Shadows

Paladinic Ethos
Saint Joran Nobleheart
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4430 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2010 :  04:44:37  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Awesome man, I'll definitly check it out.
Go to Top of Page

Joran Nobleheart
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2010 :  05:44:53  Show Profile  Visit Joran Nobleheart's Homepage Send Joran Nobleheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great! Let me know if you decide to use some ideas from there!

Oh, I should add that they were kind enough to stat out the Phantom of the Opera for me there, as well as ideas on the Headless Horseman.

Paladinic Ethos
Saint Joran Nobleheart

Edited by - Joran Nobleheart on 01 Oct 2010 05:45:46
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4430 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2010 :  15:07:06  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Personalized haunting of the PCs

Jim (half-elf Assassin) - Hearing noises, distant whispers, a low buzz of chanting, evil laughter, a distant scream for help. As it gets stronger, the chanting gets louder until it’s hard for him to hear anything but the never ending chanting who’s words he can almost make out.
Session 1- Distant whisper, low buzz of a group talking, once in a while an evil laugh or distant scream
Session 2- The buzz becomes a bit louder, the screams for help seem closer, and he can start to hear what the chant is along with the evil laugh coming from people who are within sight.
Session 3- The buzz increases in frequency, the screams of distress come from rooms just next door, and the words of the chant are disgusting, vile and in some recess of his psyche, he starts to like it.
Session 4- The buzz is almost indecipherable from people talking, the screams of pain and anguish come from right behind him, and he finds himself chanting along with the voices.

Pete (human cleric of Amaunator) – Sees shadows that move of their own accord, faces in the dark, and his own light spells that flicker (yet no one notices his light diminish). As the curse grows stronger, the shadows become deeper, as if it were able to swallow him up. They gain a tangible sense, and they often send tendrils to trip him or hit him.
Session 1- Sees shadows move, a strange face in the darkness, and light sources abruptly fail.
Session 2- The shadows seem to react to him, and he feels wispy strands fall across his neck. His own spells flicker and his shield dims for no reason. None of the others seem to have a problem with it.
Session 3- He’s convinced that the shadows are sentient, and do things to harm him. They don’t affect the other though.
Session 4- By now the curse is strong, and the shadows manifest themselves into actual creatures, striking at him and even assuming the faces and forms of his friends. His spells don’t seem to illuminate anything and sputter out when he makes ranged attacks.

Megan (eladrin/sun elf wizard) – Smells a foul odor that starts out small, slowly growing more intense and the aroma becomes more grotesque. It finally coalesces into a near-constant smell that gags her. Her eyes become watery and she’s forced to breathe through her mouth to negate some of the smell.
Session 1- There is a faint hint of rotting flesh in the air and the occasional whiff of burning hair. This is something that never goes away.
Session 2- The smell gets more powerful, causing her to cover her nose from time to time. Being indoors doesn’t help the sensation but now the fragrance has changed to the smell of offal and human waste.
Session 3- A horrid odor has permeated inside every building within the town. Being outdoors offers no relief. The mixture of stale sweat, burning flesh, wet dog, and honey make her lose her stomach on more than one occasion. The worst part about it is that she’s starting to crave the taste.
Session 4- No amount of perfume can replace the stank smell that she thinks is coming off of every person, place, and animal in the area. It’s so over powering that she’s forced to breathe constantly through her mouth. The smell has also drawn her closer to eating scorched raw meat, hay, and even blood that she might come into contact with. The sight of real food and drink only makes the stench stronger, pusher her further away from the nutrition she desperately needs.

Diff (human knight of Torm)– Starts getting a notion that people aren’t paying attention to him. The feelings get stronger and he believes that his friends are ignoring him on purpose. As the curse gains strength, he gets delusional when he sees his friends openly mock him and whisper to each to make fun of him.
Session 1- First thing he notices is that his friends are starting to ignore him. In reality, he’s talking really low and when they don’t respond, he gets mad and yells.
Session 2- As the curse escalates, the “sees” them talk but can’t hear what they’re saying. He thinks they’re mocking him or fooling around with him and he’s not happy. He starts to turn inward with his personality.
Session 3- His words go unnoticed and only through his actions on the battlefield does he even feel that he’s even noticed. When his friends do talk to him, he barely hears them. And he slowly starts to fall to depression.
Session 4- By this time, the curse is at its strongest and he has fallen into complete isolation. He doesn’t care to speak to his friends and he’s cut himself off from their communication completely. At this stage, he’s even debating his motives for fighting and does so for survival.

Nick (human paladin of Tempus) – Has problems with his reflection in Mirrors and other surfaces. At first it’s quick and non-violent, but as it intensifies, it becomes more grotesque and in some instances, material. Faces distort, reflections move without people moving them, reflections appear to stare at him. Finally, the reflections stretch out of the mirror or reflective surface to attack.
Session 1- Mirrors and reflective pools look to have an almost aquatic movement, as if he’s looking into water. And sometimes people’s reflections move of their own accord. And these movements are just out of focus.
Session 2- His reflection often changes, depicting himself with more feral and disgusting features. When he notices his reflection, he can see that his reflection is staring back at him with intent. This is where he first sees his reflection not move when he does.
Session 3- By this point, his reflection has not only started to look horrendous, but it’s also suffering from various affects such as melting, boils, scars, and even decapitation. And when he sees his face, he’s almost tempted to perform what’s been happening on his face by scratching at scabs that aren’t there and picking at bugs that crawl on his face.
Session 4- By this point he’s done everything he can to block his line of sight to anything thats reflective. He doesn’t polish his armor; he doesn’t bathe in case he sees himself in the bath water. He wraps up anything that is metal so his reflection cannot come out and get him.

Zac (human star-pact warlock) – Sees a small girl, though when he investigates, cannot locate her. Her appearances become more frequent and they start to turn murderous. Sometimes he works in tandem with the girl in killing people.
Session 1- He sees quick movements of a little girl holding a doll. Sometimes she’s looking at him while other times she’s staring at her doll. The image flickers, and instead of holding a doll, she’s holding a knife or poker or some sort of weapon and her face gleams with evil.
Session 2- The girl becomes more frequent and her actions quickly turn to vile deeds. From holding babies in her arms and dropping them onto rocks to holding dead animals and knives, she does so with a smile on her face. Any attempts to approach her make her disappear.
Session 3- By now she’s fully aware he can see her and when she’s not doing horrible acts, she sometimes appears as a blood-stained corpse, brutally murdered. And in his mind’s eye, he’s the one doing the act.
Session 4- As the curse reaches its strength, he come into contact with her and finds out her name. She talks to him, sometimes and tries to get him to do the murderous acts on his friends. He fight’s her impulses and he can see in his mind’s eye her doing those things to his friends when they’re sleeping. He’s hit with visions of dread and of the vilest acts he’s ever seen.

Webbs (dwarf fighter|barbarian) – Starts to feel a strange sensation on his skin and under his armor. It ranges from itchy to sticky and from hot to cold. As it gets stronger, the sensations intensify, becoming unbearable and a constant distraction.
Session 1- The irritability is infrequent and only a nuisance. It ranges from being cold and itchy to hot and sticky under his armor and helm.
Session 2- The condition gets worse and the itchy feeling is in places that are extremely hard to reach. They range from his back to his toes through plate-protected boots. It’s harder to ignore, but the presence is always there.
Session 3- The strange feelings on his skin now range from intensity and frequency. It can last as long as 1 hour but then stop for 3 hours. It gets stronger and comes in waves, as if his skin were on fire but then will turn about and feel deathly cold.
Session 4- By this point, it’s a constant state of irritation. His armor is a distraction to what he can do in battle and there isn’t a minute that goes by that he’s not scratching, rubbing, or picking at something on his skin. Even baths and the like don’t sate the strange, tangible force that is on his body. The only thing that relieves the pain is his own blood on his skin.

Edited by - Diffan on 02 Oct 2010 16:08:32
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000