Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Where are you from?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Kno
Senior Scribe

452 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2010 :  13:12:11  Show Profile Send Kno a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Poll Question:
Previous poll was interesting, 4 percent of the people were 100+ years old . In this one you can say where's your character from in the Realms.

Choices:

USA
Canada
Latin America
Northern Europe
Western Europe
Eastern Europe
Southern Europe
Australia, New Zealand ...
Middle East
East Asia
Africa
Other (Antarctica, aliens ...)

(Anonymous Vote)

z455t

Saxmilian
Learned Scribe

USA
157 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2010 :  13:47:49  Show Profile  Visit Saxmilian's Homepage Send Saxmilian a Private Message  Reply with Quote
USA. Currently trapped in Ohio.
Go to Top of Page

Apex
Learned Scribe

USA
229 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2010 :  14:16:13  Show Profile  Visit Apex's Homepage Send Apex a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sax - where in Ohio. I am near Toledo.
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4427 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2010 :  15:15:16  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
USA for this guy, hailing from the Hills of Iron AKA Pittsburgh. Gotta love us Yinz-ers! lol
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2010 :  15:18:48  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Other:- Capellan Confederation.

Oooops! Wrong site.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 15 Sep 2010 15:19:45
Go to Top of Page

Halidan
Senior Scribe

USA
470 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2010 :  17:07:56  Show Profile  Visit Halidan's Homepage Send Halidan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
USA and although I don't want to copy Saxmilian, I have to say that I missed a spot check and I've been trapped in Michigan for far too long now. Send rescue dogs please.

"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied,
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

Edgar Allen Poe - 1849
Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2010 :  18:49:17  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yhm... is Poland Eastern Europe or Western?

And this poll is ... (lack of words). If it is for my character, why put real world continents here. And if not, well, most people have their country chosen in their profile.

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Mr_Miscellany
Senior Scribe

545 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2010 :  18:59:55  Show Profile Send Mr_Miscellany a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm from California, USA, where you never feel trapped unless there was an earthquake or you like to be dominated by a lusty friend who knows what she's doing. ;)
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4427 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2010 :  19:04:05  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zireael

And this poll is ... (lack of words). If it is for my character, why put real world continents here. And if not, well, most people have their country chosen in their profile.

Because where ever you go, there you are and it's good to remember where you come from? That'd be my guess. Plus its neat to see where people are in the world.
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2010 :  19:04:18  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
USA, Indiana ...about 25 minutes north of GenCon

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Lord of Bones
Seeker

United Kingdom
78 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2010 :  19:06:56  Show Profile  Visit Lord of Bones's Homepage Send Lord of Bones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I think it counts as Eastern Europe.

I'm from good old Granbretan!

Come watch the Gentleman's Guide to Gaming!
http://www.youtube.com/user/clackclickbang

On my channel I review and dissect role-playing games with great gusto. Please do take a look and let me know what you think.
Go to Top of Page

Galuf the Dwarf
Senior Scribe

USA
489 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2010 :  19:35:33  Show Profile Send Galuf the Dwarf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
USA, northeastern Connecticut. Damn, it gets lonely up here.

[Edit] I did a little research, and supposedly, Poland is considered "Central Europe." Personally, this may or may not make sense. Granted, Poland is bordered by Germany (a western European country) to the west, and to the east by Ukraine, Belarus and Lithuania (all three being Eastern European). An interesting conundrum, for sure.

Galuf's Baldur's Gate NPC stats: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8823
Galuf's 3.5 Ed. Cleric Domains: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14036
Galuf's Homebrew 4th Edition Races: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=13787
Galuf's Homebrew Specialty Priest PrCs: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14353
Galuf's Forgotten Realms Heralds and Allies thread: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8766

Edited by - Galuf the Dwarf on 15 Sep 2010 19:43:34
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2010 :  20:04:38  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Born and bred New Yorker.

We refer to the rest of the planet as 'the suburbs'.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2010 :  20:42:10  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
USA. Howdy from Texas, y'all!!

Wait, can I change my vote? (I'm really from Skullport, lol!)

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u

Edited by - Alystra Illianniis on 15 Sep 2010 20:44:16
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2010 :  21:28:48  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Other: Midkemia

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Aulduron
Learned Scribe

USA
343 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2010 :  01:28:34  Show Profile Send Aulduron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Detroit

"Those with talent become wizards, Those without talent spend their lives praying for it"

-Procopio Septus
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2010 :  04:31:43  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

If it is for my character, why put real world continents here.

Yeah, that confused me, as well.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2010 :  04:36:30  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Oooops! Wrong site.

You know, I still find it a bit disappointing that no one's ever commented on my "location" on the HMP forums... My location there is "The FedBuns -- New Avalon's Best Bakery!"

As for me, I'm in the USA. I was born in southern California, spent most of my life in various parts of the South, and now I'm on Florida's Space Coast. And oddly, central Florida is not part of the South. Some of north Florida is part of the South, but not this area.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2010 :  04:44:52  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

Oooops! Wrong site.

You know, I still find it a bit disappointing that no one's ever commented on my "location" on the HMP forums... My location there is "The FedBuns -- New Avalon's Best Bakery!"
I really would've thought that'd be in the Outback territory of the Suns, somewhere. Eh?

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2010 :  05:00:25  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Oooops! Wrong site.

I really would've thought that'd be in the Outback territory of the Suns, somewhere. Eh?

Wow, that was bad... I salute you!

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2010 :  05:05:50  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Oooops! Wrong site.

Wow, that was bad... I salute you!

As a Capellan, I'd expect nothing less.

Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2010 :  05:20:33  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

As for me, I'm in the USA. I was born in southern California, spent most of my life in various parts of the South, and now I'm on Florida's Space Coast. And oddly, central Florida is not part of the South. Some of north Florida is part of the South, but not this area.

That's just... weird. What kind of criteria are used to define "the South" anyway? But after the Y2K presidential election, I expect weird from Florida, so it's all good... besides, what's not weird about a giant space hamster living in Florida? At least you're on the Space Coast...

I'm in southern British Columbia, about an hour away from the border crossing in Abbotsford and about two or three hours away from the Pacific Ocean (depending on traffic; they're rebuilding the Highway 1 bridge into Vancouver right now, so construction delays can be nasty). Most of my gaming books are still in the Okanagan Valley three hours away from me, where I spent the first 37.5 years of my life. (Yes, I'm a computer geek... does it show?)

As far as my character... which one? The two I'm most attached to are brothers from the North, descendants of the last chieftain to rule the Grey Wolf tribe before they were taken over by evil lycanthropes. One is a ranger who worships Uller, and the other is a paladin of Tyr. (The entire Norse pantheon is present in my Realms, in case you were wondering; has been since my original Realms DM, in whose campaign these characters were originally played.)

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.

Edited by - Jakk on 16 Sep 2010 05:23:06
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2010 :  05:58:26  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Florida is NOT considered 'the south' by us northerners either, for whatever weird reason, yet we have to drive south of 'the south' to get to it.

We consider Florida part of 'the East Coast', so I suppose we cut the coastal states some slack in that regard. Virginia is even losing its 'southerness' to us (they don't even have much of that southern twang there).

I suppose as a displaced Californian Wooly, you would call it "the right coast".

Now Australia... that's the DEEP south.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2010 :  06:06:46  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jakk

Most of my gaming books are still in the Okanagan Valley three hours away from me, where I spent the first 37.5 years of my life. (Yes, I'm a computer geek... does it show?)
Only when, like me, you can say that you've designed and developed your own operating system. In my case, SageOS.

Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2010 :  06:20:54  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Florida is NOT considered 'the south' by us northerners either, for whatever weird reason, yet we have to drive south of 'the south' to get to it.

We consider Florida part of 'the East Coast', so I suppose we cut the coastal states some slack in that regard. Virginia is even losing its 'southerness' to us (they don't even have much of that southern twang there).

I suppose as a displaced Californian Wooly, you would call it "the right coast".

Australia is DEEP South?! I thought that was Hell- you, know, where Little Nicky was from, LOL!! And it can't be much worse than Texas- we're South AND West. So we get ALL the crap... Not to mention everyone seems to think that all Texans go around in boots and cowboy hats saying things like "Y'all come back now, y'hear?" And listening to country music.... I was BORN here, and I don't even LIKE country!!!

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

Knight of the Gate
Senior Scribe

USA
624 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2010 :  06:40:33  Show Profile Send Knight of the Gate a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

In the words of a platoon sergeant of mine from Georgia: 'There's parts of Georgia further South than anythin' in Florida'.
It was one of those statements, that immediately upon hearing it, you knew it to be True.
I'm from PA and we have a microcosm of that sort here, as well- except in our case, it's East/West. Eastern PA is East Coast, whereas Western PA is thought of as 'midwestern'.

How can life be so bountiful, providing such sublime rewards for mediocrity? -Umberto Ecco
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2010 :  07:06:25  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Virginia is even losing its 'southerness' to us (they don't even have much of that southern twang there).

You must drive through all those carpet-bagger highway stations eh?

I'm from Virginia. I graduated from Rocky Gap High School in Bland County Virginia...and if you can find ANY county in ANY state in the south that is more rural than that, I'd LOVE to know about it.

I remember the first time I saw a cartoon, I asked my big sister what language they were speaking...because it didn't sound like English to me. I later learned once I was in school that what I spoke was "Appalachian" which has many roots that are considered "English" but in no way sounds like people on the T.V.

I'm now learning Arabic at the University of Montana, and when I gave my Arabic instructor a taste of MY English (he learned what he called "proper English" at a rather prestigious academy in Jerusalem...he is an Arab that went to an Anglican School) he simply looked at me and said "What language is that?" No joke.

It would be impossible for me to write Appalachian; but try to imagine English with lots of Irish/Welsh/Scottish thrown in and jumbled all together.

At any rate...I live in Missoula Montana now.

If anyone is ever through the area...throw me a shout.

EDIT: oops...my current character.

I'm currently trying to decide on a new 3.5 character to play in the area of the Moonsea. A fella here in Missoula is starting a game, I'm going to be playing in it; but I can't decide whether I want to play a former Pirate of the Nelanther Isles who is originally from Calimshan (a level one Rogue who is FAST on the draw, total initiative modifier of +8, will be +12 at level 3) OR a brutal warrior from Zhentil Keep that is an aspiring Military Genius (his high stat, the 18 would be Intelligence)...OR a Barbarian from the Ride with some serious anger management problems.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!

Edited by - Dalor Darden on 16 Sep 2010 07:35:44
Go to Top of Page

Kno
Senior Scribe

452 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2010 :  08:24:30  Show Profile Send Kno a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't have a character (DM), most npc's are from Lantan, Halruaa and Mars.

In this poll Poland is Eastern Europe (everything that was behind the Iron Curtain).

quote:
Originally posted by dennis

Other: Midkemia

Queg?

z455t
Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2010 :  10:01:41  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't know, eastern or southern Europe, a northwestern part.

When I play, it's about 1/3 of the games, the character was originally from Axis, a planar city in Golarion's cosmology, but he's mind is mysteriously human, speaks old Zazesspurian, aka Zaz-Karlag.
Go to Top of Page

Wispr
Acolyte

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2010 :  10:12:58  Show Profile  Visit Wispr's Homepage Send Wispr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
USA... Ohio.

Wispr
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2010 :  10:47:08  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dallas (Irving really) Tx.

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll