Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Everyone owning Forgotten Realms
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Caolin
Senior Scribe

768 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2010 :  00:22:18  Show Profile Send Caolin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Matt James

Wait, if someone owns something, who is it for anyone to snatch it away to produce it as they feel? I would hate to think someone would do that to me.

I love canon and I like the stories that have been introduced into the Realms. If it was a wild west land grab for anyone to contribute to, I would quickly lose interest and move on to something else.

I mentioned earlier in this thread my objections to a corporation that is publicly owned having the rights to the Forgotten Realms and DnD in general. I think the product over the years has suffered for it. Too many times major changes have been made to the detriment of the Forgotten Realms all in the name of "reaching a new audience" which is business speak for "trying to make more money". The term, "don't try to fix what isn't broken" comes to mind. I personally would like to see the rights go to at least a smaller company if not a privately owned company.
Go to Top of Page

Matt James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2010 :  00:31:46  Show Profile Send Matt James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If it was open to the public and owned by all, do you see the problem being solved? How would the product be managed? On the next step, if it is owned by a smaller private company, does that make it a superior product? What about fans of the existing product? Are their own tastes to be ignored? It's not as black and white as some believe and having the grass greener on the other side of the fence is something that will always be around.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2010 :  01:07:23  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

<snip> On the next step, if it is owned by a smaller private company, does that make it a superior product?
One Word....

Paizo

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2010 :  02:04:04  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In my ideal world, I'd own WotC. I'd let the other worlds alone, but for the Realms, I'd bring back some of the creators/authors I liked, shuffle elsewhere the ones I don't like, and then make a point of soliciting fan input. Some like picking a small group of fans, letting them toss out some ideas, and then run with the coolest ones.

I'll freely admit I've not been happy with the direction of the setting for a long time. But I'm not convinced that moving away from a company-owned setup is the direction to go. Changing how the company does something accomplishes much of the same goal, without introducing all of the problems of a shared setting with no central guidance.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Caolin
Senior Scribe

768 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2010 :  03:10:47  Show Profile Send Caolin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

If it was open to the public and owned by all, do you see the problem being solved? How would the product be managed? On the next step, if it is owned by a smaller private company, does that make it a superior product? What about fans of the existing product? Are their own tastes to be ignored? It's not as black and white as some believe and having the grass greener on the other side of the fence is something that will always be around.

Well, I'm not that naive that I believe that simply handing it to some small private company will make it a better product. But what needs to happen is that the focus needs to be on making a consistently good product rather than chasing profits. When you make a consistently good product the profits will come. But when you constantly are changing things in hopes of finding that special profit spot, well the product suffers. This is especially true with an artistic IP. I feel that WoTC did not have to so dramatically change DnD and the Realms when they moved to 4E. It was done for all of the wrong reasons.....profit. But lets not venture back into that debate.

But I will say that I don't think there is any going back with DnD and the Realms. Rebooting would be disastrous and confusing for any new fan. I am encouraged by the work you, your brother and Erik...among the many other talented designers of the Realms...are doing. I like the direction that things are going and it shows that you guys love the product. I just hope the trend continues.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2010 :  04:54:08  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I'll freely admit I've not been happy with the direction of the setting for a long time. But I'm not convinced that moving away from a company-owned setup is the direction to go. Changing how the company does something accomplishes much of the same goal, without introducing all of the problems of a shared setting with no central guidance.

Fans owning the Realms will create more problems than solve the existing ones, mostly due to lack of a prime guidance. Not to mention, I personally think of it as definitely unsavory and ch**p, making all novels and short work of fiction as nothing but fanfic.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

EltonJ
Learned Scribe

USA
101 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2010 :  05:32:52  Show Profile  Visit EltonJ's Homepage Send EltonJ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dennis

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Fans owning the Realms will create more problems than solve the existing ones, mostly due to lack of a prime guidance. Not to mention, I personally think of it as definitely unsavory and ch**p, making all novels and short work of fiction as nothing but fanfic.

But, the Realms core will be passed down to your grandchildren's hearts and minds, and your great-grandchildren's hearts and minds. It will last forever. Forget the stupid fan stuff. Time and the public will take care of that.

Masterpieces last forever, dennis. That's what I Desire for Ed Greenwood's work on the Realms. That is why it's better that the public owns it and WotC reliquishes it's printing monopoly on the realms. So it can last FOREVER.

Edited by - EltonJ on 10 Sep 2010 05:36:57
Go to Top of Page

EltonJ
Learned Scribe

USA
101 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2010 :  05:44:04  Show Profile  Visit EltonJ's Homepage Send EltonJ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

It will be managed like Shakespeare's works and sonnets are handled. Those works that are really good will stand the test of time. Those that are terrible will pass into obscurity.

Never underestimate the distribution power of the Commons. Time will separate the wheat from the chaff.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000