Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 What was the HUlorn?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

creyzi4zb12
Learned Scribe

Philippines
129 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2010 :  15:15:56  Show Profile  Visit creyzi4zb12's Homepage Send creyzi4zb12 a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Warning spoilers

So I've been reading Heirs of Prophecy, where one of the main antagonists in the book was the Hulorn of Sembia. From the description of him on the book, he seems to be some kind of weird monster that was half human, half lizard and a bit of bird on the arms as well. What's the Hulorn? Is he a unique monster found in the corebooks? Or a human with some kind of weird prestige class?

orc orc orc orc orc orc orc orc orc orc orc

Edited by - creyzi4zb12 on 29 Aug 2010 15:16:39

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2010 :  01:16:25  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Hulorn is the title of the city ruler of Selgaunt.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Tyrant
Senior Scribe

USA
586 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2010 :  02:22:48  Show Profile  Visit Tyrant's Homepage Send Tyrant a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think he was a human with other bits grafted on. I'm not super well versed in the D&D rules (3.x is my assumption here), so grafting may not be the correct term as I am not sure if grafting is only adding bits or if it also includes replacing bits. That's what I got from the description anyway.

And what George said about what the title itself means.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me.
-The Sith Code

Teenage Sith zombies, Tulkh thought-how in the moons of Bogden had it all started? Every so often, the universe must just get bored and decide to really cut loose. -Star Wars: Red Harvest
Go to Top of Page

IngoDjan
Learned Scribe

Brazil
146 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2010 :  05:22:06  Show Profile  Visit IngoDjan's Homepage Send IngoDjan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ruler of Selgaunt. Just it.

Ingo Djan
DUNGEON MASTER AO OF THE DIAMONDS!
"I see the future repeat the past. It all is a museum of great news. The Time do not stop."
Go to Top of Page

creyzi4zb12
Learned Scribe

Philippines
129 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2010 :  06:09:43  Show Profile  Visit creyzi4zb12's Homepage Send creyzi4zb12 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Darn, I can't believe I finished the book in one night. It was, I think one of the best books in FR I've read. The plot came in at moderate speed, but the events were really well made. The characters and secrets unveiled were in the book about family and etc. good thought candies. There was also the twists in the plot. At first I was thinking that the book had a very predictable outcome. But still, things didn't turn out the way I thought them to be.
But the best thing of the book was this feeling of a grand tour towards the elves of FR. A number of elves were introduced in the book; even some elves who were very rare.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2010 :  16:29:43  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Why is the ruler of Selgaunt Inhuman?

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Tyrant
Senior Scribe

USA
586 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2010 :  16:47:53  Show Profile  Visit Tyrant's Homepage Send Tyrant a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

From what I got out of the books, he was completely human but started grafting on himself. He is obsessed with creatures like the Chimera (though it wasn't clear to me if it was because it was a monsterous creature or because it was a hybrid creature) and had statues built to reflect this taste. He hid his appearance from others. I believe he had some magical ability himself and he had his advisor (his name escapes me, he was a drow or half drow if I recall correctly) who was also a spell caster.

As for why, I never saw it clarified in the books. Power corrupts? Too much free time? He was just an odd guy?

creyzi, if you want to see more of him keep reading the Sembia series to the end.

Some spoilers about a later Hulorn below:

Thamalon II becomes the Hulorn after this one (after helping to kill this one). He also doesn't stay completely human for very long. He is transformed into a Shade and still rules (likely as a puppet) into the post spellplague era in the name of his Shade Enclave allies. This is covered in the Erevis Cale books (mainly the second trilogy)

Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me.
-The Sith Code

Teenage Sith zombies, Tulkh thought-how in the moons of Bogden had it all started? Every so often, the universe must just get bored and decide to really cut loose. -Star Wars: Red Harvest
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2010 :  17:40:06  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It is some time ago that I have read the books where the Hulorn is mentioned.

However, I recall reading of a ring that is somehow connected to his apearance. I don't recall though if the ring hid his true form (similar to a Hat of Disguise) or if the ring was actually the cause for the mutations, corrupting him in one way or the other. Somehow the corrupting sounds right to me.

Anyhow, fact is that the Hulorn was a normal human with an affinity for magical beasts such as chimera, cockatrice & gorgon. His body was somehow changed - if corrupted by the ring I mentioned or through other magical means, I cannot say for certain.

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."
Go to Top of Page

creyzi4zb12
Learned Scribe

Philippines
129 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2010 :  20:55:19  Show Profile  Visit creyzi4zb12's Homepage Send creyzi4zb12 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tyrant

quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

From what I got out of the books, he was completely human but started grafting on himself. He is obsessed with creatures like the Chimera (though it wasn't clear to me if it was because it was a monsterous creature or because it was a hybrid creature) and had statues built to reflect this taste. He hid his appearance from others. I believe he had some magical ability himself and he had his advisor (his name escapes me, he was a drow or half drow if I recall correctly) who was also a spell caster.

As for why, I never saw it clarified in the books. Power corrupts? Too much free time? He was just an odd guy?

creyzi, if you want to see more of him keep reading the Sembia series to the end.

Some spoilers about a later Hulorn below:

Thamalon II becomes the Hulorn after this one (after helping to kill this one). He also doesn't stay completely human for very long. He is transformed into a Shade and still rules (likely as a puppet) into the post spellplague era in the name of his Shade Enclave allies. This is covered in the Erevis Cale books (mainly the second trilogy)

Ok, thanks for not going through with the spoiler (EDIT: Warning me with the spoiler = I didn't read it). I'm in the 6th book as of now. But I think it's going to be a while before I start reading again due to our holidays coming to a close.
BTW: That wizards name was Drakkar (the drow who dyes his hair), still can't believe Larajin stopped a war between 4-5 nations? Beat a powerful drow wizard and conquered the trust of almost all elven conquerors with nothing but plain pure love. It's disturbing and entertaining at the same time. Which is why I think the book was one of the best I've ever read (Heirs of Prophecy).

Can't wait to see the Hulorn again. Maybe will see him as a nemesis (or some filler enemy) when "Tamlin the Man" starts taking the spotlight in the series (Oooh Yeah!)

Go to Top of Page

Tyrant
Senior Scribe

USA
586 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2010 :  21:17:49  Show Profile  Visit Tyrant's Homepage Send Tyrant a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't believe he is in the 6th book (or if he is it is very minor) but he is featured a great deal more in the 7th book (along with Drakkar and at least one other previous enemy). You will probably want to finish these before you read the Erevis Cale books (I'm assuming you haven't read them yet) if you plan on reading them. The second Cale trilogy deals with Sembia quite a bit.

-The Sith Code

Go to Top of Page

creyzi4zb12
Learned Scribe

Philippines
129 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2010 :  22:38:38  Show Profile  Visit creyzi4zb12's Homepage Send creyzi4zb12 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually I've read the Cale saga already. So it's kind of an awkward pattern right now, since I'm reading the past events that happened before Cale's ascendancy to a shade and the Shadowstorm.

I'm thinking that all enemies of the USkevren will combine forces in the last book (since Uskevren have lots of enemies). Those I think who will be returning to get their revenge will be that Radu Malveen fellow, The Hulorn, Drakkar, Soargryls, Talendars, and perhaps somebody new, like a more powerful person than the others mentioned.

Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2010 :  07:18:07  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Two short stories And All the Sinners, Saints and Another name for Dawn, are tied into the Erevis Cale-series. I have linked the pdf-download from the Forgotten Realms Library, where you'll also find a reading order at the Erevis Cale series.

Ergdusch

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."
Go to Top of Page

creyzi4zb12
Learned Scribe

Philippines
129 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2010 :  18:21:27  Show Profile  Visit creyzi4zb12's Homepage Send creyzi4zb12 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
SPOILER:::

Finished the book, was pretty nice if you'd ask me...The Sorcerer's (which I think was the main antagonist in the book)true nature, was really disturbing and surprising.
The Hulorn as well, pretty powerful....But in the end, Tamlin pawned all in that last book.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000