Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Godborn: an extended exerpt from Paul
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2010 :  19:41:35  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Paul posted a great excerpt on his website :

http://paulskemp.com/blog/scene-from-godborn-vasen-cale/

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2010 :  20:22:41  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Argh! And still no publishing date... this is torture!

"You make an intriguing offer, one that is very tempting. It would seem that I have little alternative than to answer thusly: DISINTEGRATE!" Vaarsuvius, Order of the Stick 625
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2010 :  20:47:46  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by skychrome

this wont make you feel any better, but it is July 2012.

Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2010 :  21:51:18  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

Gaaah!
Not even speaking of waiting times for the other two books... So I guess we will see the complete trilogy around 2014 then...

"You make an intriguing offer, one that is very tempting. It would seem that I have little alternative than to answer thusly: DISINTEGRATE!" Vaarsuvius, Order of the Stick 625

Edited by - skychrome on 23 Aug 2010 21:56:33
Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2010 :  10:15:44  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good excerpt. Interesting idea with the Oracle...

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2010 :  11:17:30  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nice!

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."
Go to Top of Page

jornan
Learned Scribe

Canada
256 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2010 :  15:15:57  Show Profile Send jornan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm purposefully not reading any Godborn excerpts because it is too much torture to wait that long for the published product. Perhaps WOTC decided to release it in 2011 because they have so few books scheduled for next year so far. I'm sure its all about marketing.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2010 :  07:58:11  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I enjoyed reading it. Paul's love for dogs never leaves his books. First with Riven's dogs, and now the Oracle's---and a teleport/ "jumper" at that! =)

I hope I'll find Vasen more interesting than Cale and less - oh, far, far less brooding than his father...

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2010 :  09:25:34  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good stuff.

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep

Edited by - Brimstone on 03 Sep 2010 07:09:39
Go to Top of Page

Sith_Lord_Drizzt
Seeker

Canada
92 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2010 :  22:36:28  Show Profile  Visit Sith_Lord_Drizzt's Homepage Send Sith_Lord_Drizzt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Awesome!

"Jarlaxle's grin disappeared as he turned his attention to Drizzt. He watched the fury of the drow unleashed. Jarlaxle had seen Drizzt in action many times before, but never like that".
Go to Top of Page

Elfinblade
Senior Scribe

Norway
377 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2010 :  23:23:37  Show Profile Send Elfinblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A very intriguing snippet.
Go to Top of Page

Caolin
Senior Scribe

768 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2010 :  23:19:07  Show Profile Send Caolin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Really? Two years away?!! Isn't this book written already? I am getting tired of this lite book release schedule from WoTC. I was actually able to reread the Lord of the Rings between FR books. That just shouldn't happen.
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2010 :  04:08:11  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
excellent preview. more please
Go to Top of Page

Bakra
Senior Scribe

628 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2010 :  12:53:39  Show Profile Send Bakra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Caolin

quote:

quote:

Really? Two years away?!! Isn't this book written already? I am getting tired of this lite book release schedule from WoTC. I was actually able to reread the Lord of the Rings between FR books. That just shouldn't happen.

The printing of the book got dropped from rotation during their dispute. They (WotC) are not going to bump someone else from the rotation to get the first novel printed. One reason it isn’t fair to whoever’s book gets pushed back. The second reason the people who run the printing company are not going to rearranged their schedule to imprint one novel. Paul lost his place in the lunch line and now has to go to the end of the line.
I’m happy that the book is getting published in the first place. And I don’t mind waiting at all.

Now if WotC wants to do something truly astounding then they should offer it in ebook form first. This will instantly satisfy many of us who have patiently been waiting for the first book.

I hope Candlekeep continues to be the friendly forum of fellow Realms-lovers that it has always been, as we all go through this together. If you don’t want to move to the “new” Realms, that doesn’t mean there’s anything wrong with either you or the “old” Realms. Goodness knows Candlekeep, and the hearts of its scribes, are both big enough to accommodate both. If we want them to be.
(Strikes dramatic pose, raises sword to gleam in the sunset, and hopes breeches won’t fall down.)
Enough for now. The Realms lives! I have spoken! Ale and light wines half price, served by a smiling Storm Silverhand fetchingly clad in thigh-high boots and naught else! Ahem . .
So saith Ed. <snip>
love to all,
THO

Edited by - Bakra on 03 Sep 2010 12:55:02
Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2010 :  20:50:57  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bakra
Now if WotC wants to do something truly astounding then they should offer it in ebook form first. This will instantly satisfy many of us who have patiently been waiting for the first book.

Good point Bakra, I hope WoTC takes that into consideration!

That would be also the ultimate reason for me to finally buy an eReader!

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2010 :  19:55:20  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Good point Bakra, I hope WoTC takes that into consideration!

That would be also the ultimate reason for me to finally buy an eReader!

While it sounds good, I find it rather unlikely. I cannot recall a single FR novel released as ebook first, as such normally hurts the sales of the printed books.

Go to Top of Page

Caolin
Senior Scribe

768 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2010 :  02:10:11  Show Profile Send Caolin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

The printing of the book got dropped from rotation during their dispute. They (WotC) are not going to bump someone else from the rotation to get the first novel printed. One reason it isn’t fair to whoever’s book gets pushed back. The second reason the people who run the printing company are not going to rearranged their schedule to imprint one novel. Paul lost his place in the lunch line and now has to go to the end of the line.
I’m happy that the book is getting published in the first place. And I don’t mind waiting at all.

Who said anything about bumping out another writer? What is wrong with releasing two book in the same month span? I highly doubt that it would hurt sales.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2010 :  12:03:21  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Who said anything about bumping out another writer? What is wrong with releasing two book in the same month span? I highly doubt that it would hurt sales.

I say it's more about the cost of publishing two novels in the same month.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2010 :  12:50:20  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dennis

I say it's more about the cost of publishing two novels in the same month.

And distributing them, and then having two new products competing against each other for sales. Not everyone's gaming/reading dollar goes as far today as it did just three years ago.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2010 :  13:43:47  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It is rather hard to believe that it cannot be "shoehorned" in somewhere before then. In all honesty, I really, really enjoy Paul's writing.....but will I be interested in this story in two years....I think so(but I have already cooled from GOTTA HAVE IT!! to Like to read it sometime), but that is a long, long time.

Kinda llike when I read the first four George RR Martin game of thrones novels....I could not wait for the next....now years later....i'm not sure I will buy it. With so much going on in our busy world, it's hard to keep the spark glowing for years!

Edited by - The Red Walker on 09 Sep 2010 13:44:47
Go to Top of Page

Bakra
Senior Scribe

628 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2010 :  15:25:32  Show Profile Send Bakra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

It is rather hard to believe that it cannot be "shoehorned" in somewhere before then. In all honesty, I really, really enjoy Paul's writing.....but will I be interested in this story in two years....I think so(but I have already cooled from GOTTA HAVE IT!! to Like to read it sometime), but that is a long, long time.

Kinda llike when I read the first four George RR Martin game of thrones novels....I could not wait for the next....now years later....i'm not sure I will buy it. With so much going on in our busy world, it's hard to keep the spark glowing for years!

I waited a long time to read the Birthright novel, The Falcon & the Wolf. It was worth it to me.

But then again I am weird.

Does WotC own their own printing company

I hope Candlekeep continues to be the friendly forum of fellow Realms-lovers that it has always been, as we all go through this together. If you don’t want to move to the “new” Realms, that doesn’t mean there’s anything wrong with either you or the “old” Realms. Goodness knows Candlekeep, and the hearts of its scribes, are both big enough to accommodate both. If we want them to be.
(Strikes dramatic pose, raises sword to gleam in the sunset, and hopes breeches won’t fall down.)
Enough for now. The Realms lives! I have spoken! Ale and light wines half price, served by a smiling Storm Silverhand fetchingly clad in thigh-high boots and naught else! Ahem . .
So saith Ed. <snip>
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2010 :  21:04:23  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Not for me. Feist's novels usually take a year to get released. And that's a long time, too. Nevertheless, I still have that I-gotta-have-it feeling. Godborn's case is the same, though I am not saying I want its target release. The sooner is still better.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2010 :  02:13:27  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Pretty sure that they don't. Something like that is a whole lotta up-front expense, and I don't think WotC prints enough to get a return on that investment.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Bakra
Senior Scribe

628 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2010 :  15:02:32  Show Profile Send Bakra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

Pretty sure that they don't. Something like that is a whole lotta up-front expense, and I don't think WotC prints enough to get a return on that investment.

Okay then going from prior experience I can say if they wanted to print the book, let say Summer 2011, they would have to pay a "Rush" fee. Plus,like you said earlier, they would have to compete with their own products. Everything adds up and they want to make money on the novel. They don't want to lose money on it.
*sigh* Is it 2012 yet?

So saith Ed. <snip>
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2010 :  10:14:50  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I hope Paul would write a short story to promote this book and to give us a taste of how awesome it is...2012 is a very, very long wait...

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000