Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Skullport
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Sian
Senior Scribe

Denmark
596 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2010 :  00:12:44  Show Profile  Visit Sian's Homepage Send Sian a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
actually a fairly minor question but ...

how do people move from skullport to Waterdeep prober? ... i'd guess that they don't have to fight their way though undermountain but ... ?

what happened to the queen? she's much more hysterical than usual
She's a women, it happens once a month

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2010 :  00:32:43  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sian

actually a fairly minor question but ...

how do people move from skullport to Waterdeep prober? ... i'd guess that they don't have to fight their way though undermountain but ... ?

From my extended study of the lore back when I prepared my Waterdeep campaign, the most common route is by boat through the magical locks in the Southern sea-cave.

I just didn't understand how easily one could take a boat from the harbor and directly go there (I may even have asked it Ed's scrolls).

Edited by - Skeptic on 09 Aug 2010 00:46:59
Go to Top of Page

Sian
Senior Scribe

Denmark
596 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2010 :  10:36:35  Show Profile  Visit Sian's Homepage Send Sian a Private Message  Reply with Quote
so ... theres a semioffical shipping service between Dock Ward and through the locks to Skullport?

what happened to the queen? she's much more hysterical than usual
She's a women, it happens once a month
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2010 :  11:15:16  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Pretty sure it's thru a cave outside of Waterdeep proper, and not thru the harbor.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2010 :  11:36:20  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It is through a cave... at least as far as I can recall.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2010 :  12:55:51  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

It is through a cave... at least as far as I can recall.

Yeah a cave with an entrance alongside of mount Waterdeep in the sea. When looking at the map, what I never understood is how could a boat coming from the dock could make its way there without being obvious.

Possible conclusions : the map isn't acurate, a boat going to skullport in the face of the guard / navy is tolerated.

BTW, except going through level 1-3 of Undermoutain from the Yawning Portal, there is others shortcuts to Skullport from the city, one of them used by the agents of the Eye (a portal IIRC).

Edited by - Skeptic on 09 Aug 2010 13:06:17
Go to Top of Page

_Jarlaxle_
Senior Scribe

Germany
584 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2010 :  15:17:54  Show Profile Send _Jarlaxle_ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In a novel the party went to Skullport through a tunnel from Waterdeep but there was no mention of undermontain. So I guess there are some (hidden) paths. The only problem is I can't remember which novel, I only know that there where costumes involved...
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2010 :  20:48:25  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Yawning Portal is the most common method folks travel into Undermountain and then down to Skullport, I would imagine, without taking a ship. I'm sure folks who travel that route often have a specific, semi-secret, fairly safe path that leads directly to Skullport (I recall someone - perhaps that same novel mentioned above - did it).

We know Laeral has at least one direct way to Skullport - into the promenade - and probably has others as well. We also know that Mirt has a direct way down into the Underhalls (shown in Elminster in Hell), so it is more then likely he knows several direct paths to Skullport.

One can assume there are dozens, if not hundreds, of secret ways in and out of Skullport, some through the sewers, while others far outside of Waterdeep proper.

As for the sea-cave that leads to the magical-locks - I have always felt that that was either a 'false entrance' to throw-off the curious and/or stupid, and the real entrance was somewhat further away down the coast, or it is governed by some even greater magics then the locks themselves, and somehow manage to obscure ships traveling to the cave, perhaps from as far-off as a hundred miles or so.

Or maybe there are several other caves or hidden portals which teleport ships directly into the cave, bypassing any curious Waterdavian naval vessels in the area. Each cave would be considered 'the real' entrance - the folks using them might not even know they are then being shunted to a second cave before entering the locks.

At least, thats how I would run it in my campaign - I, too, always found it a bit ridiculous that slavers were moving in and out of that cave right in front of Waterdeep's officials. I understand they turn a blind-eye to most activities regarding Skullport, but a little common sense and homebrewing goes a long way here. Even if Waterdeep did just ignore slavers and pirates (yeah... Riiiight...) sailing right past them, would those same scoundrels trust Waterdeep to do so?

To add to this, there are also several other paths in canon that ships may take into and out of Skullport - I know I have read about them in novels (and most are extremely dangerous), and IIRC, I think I may have mentioned at least one in my CKC article (shameful plug there).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 09 Aug 2010 21:05:11
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4686 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2010 :  21:22:04  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is an unofficial trade agreement between the secret Lords of Waterdeep and the Skulls. As such logic that follows there are save travel routes.
There also of course is the Water route with many ships fitted to be lowered by the drawves after paying a toll. The sea route requires use of cranes as it appears locks were not built.

There are also reports of secret tunnels, known to only a few. The Promenade does receive moonlight, despite being near Skullport. Also it has been reported the Eilistree's have a secret tunnel to the surface.

With all of this it clearly is possible that there are many routes to the surface/underdark some safer then others.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Kyrene
Senior Scribe

South Africa
740 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2010 :  08:03:52  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's a described portal from the Serpent Hills to Skullport, and again portals out along the subterranean river Sargauth. See the Perilous Gateways: The Winding Serpent: Serpent Hills and Perilous Gateways: The Winding Serpent: Skullport articles. The Skullport article also mentions travel to Skullport "from Chult who travel to Skullport via merchant ships operated by the Rundeen."

Lost for words? Find them in the Glossary of Phrases, Sayings & Words of the Realms

Edited by - Kyrene on 10 Aug 2010 08:04:37
Go to Top of Page

coach
Senior Scribe

USA
479 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2010 :  21:04:10  Show Profile Send coach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i think the novel is one of the Erevis Cale books that mentions Skullport and I think Bloodwalk too (but i could be wrong as i'm guessing)

Bloodstone Lands Sage
Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2010 :  22:05:38  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coach

i think the novel is one of the Erevis Cale books that mentions Skullport and I think Bloodwalk too (but i could be wrong as i'm guessing)

Erevis Cale book 2. However the path they take there seems rather unconventional and probably very little frequented in terms of trade. And it is not the novel which _Jarlaxle_ mentioned above and whose name he cannot remember. If anyone knows which novel he refers to, please post it. Sounds interesting to me.

"You make an intriguing offer, one that is very tempting. It would seem that I have little alternative than to answer thusly: DISINTEGRATE!" Vaarsuvius, Order of the Stick 625
Go to Top of Page

Jimbobx
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
109 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2010 :  22:11:34  Show Profile Send Jimbobx a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by _Jarlaxle_

In a novel the party went to Skullport through a tunnel from Waterdeep but there was no mention of undermontain. So I guess there are some (hidden) paths. The only problem is I can't remember which novel, I only know that there where costumes involved...

I think that would be Tangled webs by Elaine Cunningham. Or at least one of the books in that series.

Rilyetan's Retreat

Jimbob's Waterdeep Journal
Go to Top of Page

_Jarlaxle_
Senior Scribe

Germany
584 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2010 :  11:01:49  Show Profile Send _Jarlaxle_ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes that could be, I had something with Liriel in mind but wasn't sure about it
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2010 :  22:26:24  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The method Liriel took started in the sewers and went directly to Skullport, somehow bypassing Undermountain (or traveling through a secluded, fairly safe portion of the Underhalls that very few know about). Danillo told her how to go that way, so it's obviously a path he knows about, and it is also revealed that there was a faster, easier route he didn't tell them about (that I believe Laeral or someone else took).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000