Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Software
 DDI Subscription for FR Material
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2010 :  04:53:48  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Poll Question:
As a scribe of Candlekeep, do you have a DDI Subscription to gain access to FR Material?

Choices:

Yes.
No.

(Anonymous Vote)

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2010 :  05:02:20  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, but that's only part of the reason for my subscription.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 07 Aug 2010 05:03:20
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2010 :  05:11:14  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I do not. If it was possible to only buy articles that I wanted, and/or pay a lesser fee for fewer features, I would. I object to WotC's all-or-nothing approach to the DDI, so they get no money from me.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2010 :  05:19:10  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I do not. If it was possible to only buy articles that I wanted, and/or pay a lesser fee for fewer features, I would. I object to WotC's all-or-nothing approach to the DDI, so they get no money from me.

I had voted no on the same principles. Even when they had the printed magazines, you could sign up for a subscription or pick and choose which issues you wanted at the FLGS. Not having that choice means them not receiving my money.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2010 :  05:20:39  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Because I wanted any and all information I could get on The Ride, I decided to get DDI for a month...

Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2010 :  05:24:43  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
But see, you're not sure what you're going to get. If they still did the old Dragon/Dungeon magazines, you'd see it in the store, pick it up, browse the article and *then* decide if you wanted to buy the magazine for that. All you can do here is see a little intro to the article and see if subscribing for a month (and remembering to unsubscribe at the end of the month) is worth it after the fact.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2010 :  05:48:32  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That is true...but I knew exactly what I wanted...and I don't have to remember...it is done.

Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2010 :  07:54:57  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Voted yes.
Go to Top of Page

Kyrene
Senior Scribe

South Africa
727 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2010 :  10:07:59  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd only pay-per-article.

Lost for words? Find them in the Glossary of Phrases, Sayings & Words of the Realms
Go to Top of Page

GRYPHON
Senior Scribe

USA
527 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2010 :  15:06:15  Show Profile Send GRYPHON a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No...
Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2010 :  02:08:24  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No, as I am only interested in FR lore.

"You make an intriguing offer, one that is very tempting. It would seem that I have little alternative than to answer thusly: DISINTEGRATE!" Vaarsuvius, Order of the Stick 625
Go to Top of Page

Lady Kazandra
Senior Scribe

Australia
921 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2010 :  08:18:46  Show Profile  Visit Lady Kazandra's Homepage Send Lady Kazandra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I purchased one for myself, and one for Sage for his birthday last year. I've never had a reason to regret it.

"Once upon a time the plural of 'wizard' was 'war'." -- The Last Continent, by Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2010 :  15:47:57  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes the Character Creator and the monster builder are both invaluable tools that I use.

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2010 :  19:14:03  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, for the FR lore, the core articles I can easily apply to FR games, the 4e tools, and for professional reasons. (I do write for them occasionally, after all.)

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2010 :  08:11:24  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I voted no, as most scribes did.
For people outside of US the fee is too much. Besides you don't know what you will get...

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4426 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2010 :  13:49:47  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I voted yes because of the sheer amount of information accessable to you through the articles, DM tool-kit, and character generator. It's pretty silly NOT to get the subscription if your using 4e rule set and love the Realms. And, (looks around to see who's watching) I gave my friend my account information so he can log-on and access the info as well. They allow you so many updates on multipul computers a month so I up-date my persoal desk-top, my lap-top, and my friend's computer. Works out really well.

Edited by - Diffan on 30 Aug 2010 13:51:37
Go to Top of Page

Shemmy
Senior Scribe

USA
492 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2010 :  03:12:50  Show Profile  Visit Shemmy's Homepage Send Shemmy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nope. Not worth it since I don't play 4e and not worth it for professional reasons since after a poor experience with pitching to the e-zines early on I'm not inclined to do so again.

Shemeska the Marauder, King of the Crosstrade; voted #1 best Arcanaloth in Sigil two hundred years running by the people who know what's best for them; chant broker; prospective Sigil council member next election; and official travel agent for Chamada Holiday specials LLC.

Edited by - Shemmy on 01 Sep 2010 03:14:38
Go to Top of Page

IngoDjan
Learned Scribe

Brazil
146 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2010 :  04:08:19  Show Profile  Visit IngoDjan's Homepage Send IngoDjan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not worth it.

Ingo Djan
DUNGEON MASTER AO OF THE DIAMONDS!
"I see the future repeat the past. It all is a museum of great news. The Time do not stop."
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000