Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Book Club
 Elminster Must Die -- Chapters 26 - 31
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2010 :  05:28:42  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Well met

This is a Book Club thread for Elminster Must Die (part of "The Sage of Shadowdale" saga), by Ed Greenwood. Please discuss chapters 26 - 31 herein.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 03 Aug 2010 16:24:41

Longtime Lurker
Seeker

51 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2010 :  03:34:39  Show Profile  Visit Longtime Lurker's Homepage Send Longtime Lurker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It was in these chapters that the book stops unfolding merrily and starts to speed up (though Chapter 33 is when it really becomes noticeable). I suspect this is when Ed tossed aside his outline and rode the starting-to-take-on-a-life-of-its-own tale to the end of his wordcount. It feels that way, anyway.
Susan Morris, if you read these threads, care to comment at all? Ed has praised you highly as an editor, both here and among staffers from the big New York houses who were touting their great and veteran editors; I'd love to hear your take on editing an Ed Greenwood novel. Does he still put in scenes just for the amusement of his editors, that he knows you're going to (have to) edit out?
Go to Top of Page

Baleful Avatar
Learned Scribe

Canada
161 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2010 :  23:29:45  Show Profile  Visit Baleful Avatar's Homepage Send Baleful Avatar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've read some comments here and there from people who've read Ed's latest that it seemed to them that Ed was sneaking some hidden messages into the text. Some think it's a treasure hunt, some a comment on/information about future Realms events or releases, and one guy even thinks it's some sort of revelation about real-world politics (!).
Does this seem credible to anyone? Anyone?
Several times while I was reading, I got the feeling I was "missing something" that was "behind" what Ed was saying in the forefront of his prose, but I just thought it was "deep" Realmslore references I was missing.
Anyone else have the same feeling?
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6641 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2010 :  00:53:04  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ed uses his novel opportunities to constantly "fix up" areas of realmslore that occasionally provide or reactions in fans.

A small example of this is from the "Swords of Eveningstar" trilogy where he notes that the nature of portal/gate magic is somewhat unstable in that non-organic things disappear randomly, never to be seen again. I know that this bit is in response to fans who have queried why magic and portals don't dominate trade activities - in other words, why anyone bothers shipping stuff by trade caravan.

Another one was the revelation that the Chosen/Harpers were monitoring and manipulating the Thayan enclaves for intelligence on the activities of Thay rather than actively seeking to shut them down. This was in response to the opinion of some fans that the Thayan enclave system wouldn't/couldn't be allowed to exist by the forces of good in the Realms.

I pick up more and more of these minor tweakings when I read Ed's novels these days as he reacts to published realmslore that he had no hand in crafting. He works tirelessly to file off the rough edges, make that material a part of the cohesive whole and explain away the inconsistencies that crop up from time to time.

As for a "deeper/hidden" message, I haven't managed to find one save for what shines through in every piece of Ed's writing: love is the most powerful force in the Realms. Given I love the guy for all that he has given me over many years, I can identify with that.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus

Edited by - George Krashos on 13 Aug 2010 00:53:33
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2010 :  12:51:37  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I appreciate Ed's 'fixing' of things that used to elicit heated comments from many fans...But these chapters still haven't saved me from boredom.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2012 :  21:36:33  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My reread continues. There's a point in many of Ed's Realms novels where the pace really starts to pick up, and for EL MUST DIE it's in this stretch of chapters.
The obvious noble villain, Stormserpent, is no longer in control (if he ever was) and no longer center stage, and we start hurtling towards the conclusion.
Still a great read...
BB
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000