Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Have I made a mistake????
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Snowblood
Senior Scribe

Australia
388 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2010 :  11:04:32  Show Profile Send Snowblood a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Dear Scribes, I am looking at the original map of the Lost Kingdoms of Netheril from the old Anauroch booklet by Ed Greenwood and I see the city Phelajarama is in Asram south of Hlondath and quite near the cities of Olorin and Anauril. Now here is my conundrum....when I look at the map within Anauroch - Empire of the Shade I see that the city of Phelajarama has suddenly jumped north to be west of Hlondath and right in the middle of the desert....how did that happen????

Aryvandaar, Ilythiir, Arnothoi, Orva, Sarphil, Anauria/Asram/Hlondath, Uvaeren, Braceldaur, Ilodhar, Lisenaar, Imaskar, Miyeritar, Orishaar, Shantel Othrieir, Keltormir, Eaerlann, Ammarindar, Siluvanede, Sharrven, Illefarn, Ardeep, Rystal Wood, Evereska are all available here for download:http://phasai.deviantart.com/gallery/

Saxmilian
Learned Scribe

USA
157 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2010 :  16:54:54  Show Profile  Visit Saxmilian's Homepage Send Saxmilian a Private Message  Reply with Quote
magic?
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2010 :  17:40:06  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It happened because the maker of the new map did not reference previous material very well...

OR

It was a deliberate change.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2010 :  17:48:47  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

It happened because the maker of the new map did not reference previous material very well...

OR

It was a deliberate change.

Considering how many times 3E lore contradicted earlier stuff, I'm inclined to favor the first theory.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2010 :  17:52:02  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am too Wooly...in fact, the thing that still to this day outright angers me is that Tethyamar is sitting out in the damnable desert! I mean, come on!

Go to Top of Page

froglegg
Learned Scribe

317 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2010 :  22:11:04  Show Profile Send froglegg a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Snowblood

Dear Scribes, I am looking at the original map of the Lost Kingdoms of Netheril from the old Anauroch booklet by Ed Greenwood and I see the city Phelajarama is in Asram south of Hlondath and quite near the cities of Olorin and Anauril. Now here is my conundrum....when I look at the map within Anauroch - Empire of the Shade I see that the city of Phelajarama has suddenly jumped north to be west of Hlondath and right in the middle of the desert....how did that happen????

Can you say opps?

John

Long live Alias and Dragonbait! Kate Novak and Jeff Grubb the Realms need you more then ever!

On my word as a sage nothing within these pages is false, but not all of it may prove to be true. - Elminster of Shadowdale

The Old Grey Box gets better with age!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2010 :  01:44:46  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In these instances, I adhere strictly to the wise words of Steven Schend when considering such mapping errors:- "Chalk it up to Sembian mapmakers or something to overlook their existence, that's all."

In other words, maybe some map-makers in the Realms, simply "guessed" or erred when placing some lesser-known locations on those different maps you refer to.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2010 :  01:54:15  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

In these instances, I adhere strictly to the wise words of Steven Schend when considering such mapping errors:- "Chalk it up to Sembian mapmakers or something to overlook their existence, that's all."

In other words, maybe some map-makers in the Realms, simply "guessed" or erred when placing some lesser-known locations on those different maps you refer to.

I second this approach. It was not too long ago that inaccurate maps were about all that could be found here in our world!

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2010 :  03:51:25  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There are very few maps I accept for any game now.

When a player says "but the map says we should be able to get there in two days and it is right at the mouth of the river!"

I smile and reply "If you make it back to town...you might want to have a talk with the shyster that sold you that lousy map."

Go to Top of Page

Calmar
Acolyte

49 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2010 :  08:14:37  Show Profile Send Calmar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I guess that's none of those flying shadow-cities..?
Go to Top of Page

Snowblood
Senior Scribe

Australia
388 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2010 :  10:21:13  Show Profile Send Snowblood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
oh I thought it might have happened when the Sharn Wall came up against Phaerimm magics.....whole mountain ranges rose up & disappeared etc.......

Aryvandaar, Ilythiir, Arnothoi, Orva, Sarphil, Anauria/Asram/Hlondath, Uvaeren, Braceldaur, Ilodhar, Lisenaar, Imaskar, Miyeritar, Orishaar, Shantel Othrieir, Keltormir, Eaerlann, Ammarindar, Siluvanede, Sharrven, Illefarn, Ardeep, Rystal Wood, Evereska are all available here for download:http://phasai.deviantart.com/gallery/
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000