Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Elaine Cunningham [II]
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 37

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2011 :  03:29:15  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I finished Winter Witch...

very good book

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Aryalómë
Senior Scribe

USA
666 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2011 :  03:37:43  Show Profile Send Aryalómë a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've really had trouble looking for info on them. All of tye EQ wikis are rubish, they don't say anything. They basically give info on the mmo, no lore XC
I wish there could be more homosexual characters in fantasy novels to FR, EQ, and settings like them.
Oh, Mrs. Cunningham, what do you think of the Star Elves?
Go to Top of Page

Azuth
Senior Scribe

USA
404 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2011 :  04:18:55  Show Profile  Visit Azuth's Homepage Send Azuth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tradwitch1313

I've really had trouble looking for info on them. All of t[h]e EQ wikis are rub[b]ish, they don't say anything. They basically give info on the mmo, no lore XC
I wish there could be more homosexual characters in fantasy novels to FR, EQ, and settings like them.
Oh, Mrs. Cunningham, what do you think of the Star Elves?

quote:
“If wishes were fishes, we'd all cast nets.”—Frank Herbert (Dune)

TW: without presuming to answer for Elaine, I suspect you'll need to narrow your query a bit. "[T]he Star Elves" is a broad topic, and I admit I could write volumes on just one aspect of them such as appearance. Just a suggestion.

Now, to my reason for visiting the topic: Elaine, if you could have added one chapter to any novel in Daughter of the Drow that would have taken Liriel to a city in Faerűn she hasn't visited in the published novels, what might that city be? Any rationale you'd care to share is welcomed, as well, should you have the time.

Azuth, the First Magister
Lord of All Spells

The greatest expression of creativity is through Art.
Offense can never be given, only taken.
Go to Top of Page

Aryalómë
Senior Scribe

USA
666 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2011 :  06:39:40  Show Profile Send Aryalómë a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Star Elves as another Elven race :)
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2011 :  20:30:20  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Asking authors/designers their opinions about 'lore' created by other author/designers is a tightrope.

They really can't say "I don't like that" because it is bad-form (unprofessional), and if they say "I liked that" then the assumption is that they don't like things that they haven't said they liked.

For instance, if I asked, "Elaine, do you like A, B, C, and D", and she responded "I really liked 'C'", then the conclusion would be that she didn't care for the other three items, in which case she indirectly (and inadvertently) insulted whoever came-up with items A, B, & D.

Opinions should be left to fans and jerks (the latter of which are professionally referred to as 'critics'), and not freelance authors who have to juggle so many other's feelings in a shared setting.

And I believe, just as a matter of 'completeness', Elaine was the very first FR author to even allude to a 'Star Elf' (or it may have been a Lythari... or both... I forget).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2011 :  20:38:23  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually, I just read The Dream Spheres ... quite good and thank you for giving us more Danilo, Elaine.

lol, I have no questions about the book (that haven't already been asked and answered), sorry.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2011 :  00:39:11  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was just thinking about when Liriel met Danilo, and he tested her, gave her a bit of advice, and put her on notice that he knew she was a drow, all at once... I'm now wondering: after that, did Danilo kept tabs on Liriel, or have any other contact with her?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2395 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2011 :  12:40:24  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Azuth
Elaine, if you could have added one chapter to any novel in Daughter of the Drow that would have taken Liriel to a city in Faerűn she hasn't visited in the published novels, what might that city be? Any rationale you'd care to share is welcomed, as well, should you have the time.

Interesting question. Unfortunately, I don't have an answer for it. I don't have a plot for a future Liriel story in mind, so I have no idea where I'd like her to go.

Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2395 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2011 :  12:42:04  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sfdragon

I finished Winter Witch...

very good book

Glad you enjoyed it, sfd.

For the record, Dave Gross wrote about half the book. I'll pass along your kind words.
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2395 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2011 :  12:48:55  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Asking authors/designers their opinions about 'lore' created by other author/designers is a tightrope.

They really can't say "I don't like that" because it is bad-form (unprofessional), and if they say "I liked that" then the assumption is that they don't like things that they haven't said they likedFor instance, if I asked, "Elaine, do you like A, B, C, and D", and she responded "I really liked 'C'", then the conclusion would be that she didn't care for the other three items, in which case she indirectly (and inadvertently) insulted whoever came-up with items A, B, & D.

Opinions should be left to fans and jerks (the latter of which are professionally referred to as 'critics'), and not freelance authors who have to juggle so many other's feelings in a shared setting..

Too true.

quote:
And I believe, just as a matter of 'completeness', Elaine was the very first FR author to even allude to a 'Star Elf' (or it may have been a Lythari... or both... I forget).

In Windwalker, Liriel fell in with two female elves, a star elf and a lythari. I didn't get very deeply into star elf lore, sicne that was outside the focus of the novel.

As to what I think about star elves, I view them as part of the lore. Where Realms lore is concerned, I try to take the position advocated by the late, great Jimmy Durante, "Them's the conditions that prevails." In other words, you take what's there and work with it. Most of the time I don't spend a lot of energy wondering WHAT I think about Realms lore. A more important question for a FR writer is HOW to think about it. Does it fit into the story you're telling? Is that fit organical, or will it feel as if you're just plugging in new material?

Edited by - ElaineCunningham on 04 Apr 2011 12:59:01
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2395 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2011 :  12:50:31  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arik

Actually, I just read The Dream Spheres ... quite good and thank you for giving us more Danilo, Elaine.

lol, I have no questions about the book (that haven't already been asked and answered), sorry.

Thanks for the kind word. There's a little more Danilo coming in the first chapter of The Serpent's Daughter.
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2395 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2011 :  12:56:38  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I was just thinking about when Liriel met Danilo, and he tested her, gave her a bit of advice, and put her on notice that he knew she was a drow, all at once... I'm now wondering: after that, did Danilo kept tabs on Liriel, or have any other contact with her?

Danilo was aware of Liriel's trip to Ruathym. Since Qilue is Laerel's sister and Laerel and Dan are friends, he no doubt heard about the goings-on in Skullport and environs. As to whether he tracked her to Rashemen, or followed her travels in the ten years between Windwalker and the short story "Answered Prayers," I really don't know. I assume my characters have been going about their lives, but they never write, they never call...
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2011 :  16:26:24  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ElaineCunningham
There's a little more Danilo coming in the first chapter of The Serpent's Daughter.

Wonderful news, Mr. Cunningham. Have I already said I just can't wait for 2012?

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2011 :  18:31:44  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Danilo was aware of Liriel's trip to Ruathym. Since Qilue is Laerel's sister and Laerel and Dan are friends, he no doubt heard about the goings-on in Skullport and environs. As to whether he tracked her to Rashemen, or followed her travels in the ten years between Windwalker and the short story "Answered Prayers," I really don't know. I assume my characters have been going about their lives, but they never write, they never call...

Would he have been inclined to, at the least? I'm just wondering about the meeting from his perspective, and wondering if he would stop worrying about her once determining she wasn't a threat to anyone in Waterdeep, or if he would have paid attention to her for a while out of curiosity. Danilo's one of my fave Realms characters, and I'm now curious about his overall reaction to Liriel (another of my faves).

Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2395 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2011 :  23:27:22  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Would he have been inclined to, at the least? I'm just wondering about the meeting from his perspective, and wondering if he would stop worrying about her once determining she wasn't a threat to anyone in Waterdeep, or if he would have paid attention to her for a while out of curiosity. Danilo's one of my fave Realms characters, and I'm now curious about his overall reaction to Liriel (another of my faves).

In Tangled Webs, he has a cameo in which he expresses interest and concern. It's not out of the realm of possibility that he continued to do so.
Go to Top of Page

BlackAce
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
358 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2011 :  03:13:56  Show Profile Send BlackAce a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Opinions should be left to fans and jerks (the latter of which are professionally referred to as 'critics'), and not freelance authors who have to juggle so many other's feelings in a shared setting.

Hey! I'm a jerk and I'm insulted you've just equated me with a critic.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2011 :  04:20:41  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
LMAO.

Okay... as one fellow jerk to another - critics are epic-level jerks. 'Critic' is actually a choice on the jerk Class epic tier in 4e (along with 'politician' and 'paparazzi').

Hows that?

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Azuth
Senior Scribe

USA
404 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2011 :  04:59:14  Show Profile  Visit Azuth's Homepage Send Azuth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

LMAO.

Okay... as one fellow jerk to another - critics are epic-level jerks. 'Critic' is actually a choice on the jerk Class epic tier in 4e (along with 'politician' and 'paparazzi').

Hows that?

Given the thread, shouldn't we ask Elaine that question?

Azuth, the First Magister
Lord of All Spells

The greatest expression of creativity is through Art.
Offense can never be given, only taken.
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2011 :  05:08:44  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

LMAO.

Hows that?

+ 9000

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2011 :  05:09:33  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

LMAO.

Hows that?

+ 9000

did you have anr recen lireal beanre novel plams for 4e elaine?

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2395 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2011 :  06:13:53  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
did you have anr recen lireal beanre novel plams for 4e elaine?

No plans for a Liriel novel at this time. The only FR project is THE SERPENT'S DAUGHTER.
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2011 :  06:27:47  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
will it partake in the knowledge of what happened to the Serpent's drinking establishment and will any drinking take place there if its still around....

( was going to ask if his fate was going to be told on how he moved on to arvandor.... but..... I dont wannt to, even if he would still likely be alive for being eladrin/moon elf)

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2395 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2011 :  10:59:04  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

will it partake in the knowledge of what happened to the Serpent's drinking establishment and will any drinking take place there if its still around....

( was going to ask if his fate was going to be told on how he moved on to arvandor.... but..... I dont wannt to, even if he would still likely be alive for being eladrin/moon elf)

Can't discuss Elaith's fate, sorry. I'm not really sure what you're asking in the first paragraph. Elaith had several "drinking establishments" in Waterdeep. I would assume some still do business in current Realms time.
Go to Top of Page

BlackAce
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
358 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2011 :  18:00:23  Show Profile Send BlackAce a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

LMAO.

Hows that?

It'll do.

While I'm here, Elaine, didn't you mention plans for a historical novel centered around the Stewarts?
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2395 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2011 :  18:17:07  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BlackAce
While I'm here, Elaine, didn't you mention plans for a historical novel centered around the Stewarts?

I did, yes. That's currently on hold.
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2011 :  18:34:46  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
I did, yes. That's currently on hold.
That sounds tantalising. I hope it does not get stuck in the "on hold" position.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

BlackAce
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
358 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2011 :  18:38:36  Show Profile Send BlackAce a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh that's a shame. I must admit, I've been half looking forward to it. Please let us know it if ever gets moving again.
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2395 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2011 :  13:25:26  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Oh that's a shame. I must admit, I've been half looking forward to it. Please let us know it if ever gets moving again.

I will, and thanks for asking.

The historical mystery project made sense for a lot of reasons, but since my audience (all 17 of you....) are fantasy readers, it made more sense to concentrate on creating a fantasy setting of my own. That's the next project. More info coming soon.
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2011 :  15:25:59  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm of Scottish descent (Wallace for those who wish to know) as well as a fan of yours, so all you had to say was "Stewart" and "historical fiction" and I was interested. Though, I must say that I am immensely interested in the fantasy setting you are developing as well.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2011 :  18:31:29  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I will, and thanks for asking.

The historical mystery project made sense for a lot of reasons, but since my audience (all 17 of you....) are fantasy readers, it made more sense to concentrate on creating a fantasy setting of my own. That's the next project. More info coming soon.

Oooh, my interest is officially piqued!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 37  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000