Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Elaine Cunningham [II]
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 37

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2010 :  13:47:44  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My copy of "The Dream Spheres" arrived on Saturday, and I started reading it yesterday... It's good to meet Danilo and Arilyn again, and to finish the "Songs & Swords" (skipping "Thornhold", right). Even if this is not the preferred book of Mrs. Cunningham, I'm already enjoying it! Thank you, Mrs. Cunningham!

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2394 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2010 :  14:38:57  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Barastir

My copy of "The Dream Spheres" arrived on Saturday, and I started reading it yesterday... It's good to meet Danilo and Arilyn again, and to finish the "Songs & Swords" (skipping "Thornhold", right). Even if this is not the preferred book of Mrs. Cunningham, I'm already enjoying it! Thank you, Mrs. Cunningham!

Glad to hear you're enjoying the story.
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2010 :  15:14:56  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I actually don't have any questions, sorry, Elaine. I'm just offering a "me too" post (in blatant violation of Candlekeep bylaws) so I can say thank you for writing so many wonderful novels and stories. Seriously.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2394 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2010 :  15:20:20  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arik

Well, I actually don't have any questions, sorry, Elaine. I'm just offering a "me too" post (in blatant violation of Candlekeep bylaws) so I can say thank you for writing so many wonderful novels and stories. Seriously.

That's very kind, Arik. Thank you for blatantly violating Candlekeep bylaws.
Go to Top of Page

Half elven
Acolyte

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2010 :  19:52:29  Show Profile  Visit Half elven's Homepage Send Half elven a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello Elaine,

I have read all your FR books and just loved the little story of the boy walking to market that encounters the wolf...

Old favors are soon forgotten.

Love your work.
My question is.. are you working on anything new material?
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2394 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2010 :  19:57:07  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Half elven

Hello Elaine,

I have read all your FR books and just loved the little story of the boy walking to market that encounters the wolf...

Old favors are soon forgotten.

Love your work.
My question is.. are you working on anything new material?

Hi, Half elven. Thanks the the kind words. I am working on something new. The Serpent's Daughter, a novel about Azariah Craulnober, will be out in 2012.

Outside of the Realms, Winter Witch, a Pathfinder Tales novel written with the inestimable Dave Gross, will be in bookstores in early December. And I've been doing quite a bit of short fiction, scattered around here and there.
Go to Top of Page

Half elven
Acolyte

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2010 :  20:12:13  Show Profile  Visit Half elven's Homepage Send Half elven a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Awsome.
Can't wait.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2010 :  00:19:01  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'm about halfway thru that one, myself. I've been reacquainting myself with some of my fave Realms characters.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2010 :  05:10:18  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So as I mentioned, I'm going thru the Danilo and Arilyn books again. And I was struck by a thought... Queen Amlaruil and family didn't expect Arilyn to survive drawing the moonblade the first time. They obviously intended to reclaim the blade.

What would they have done with it? Would the moonblade and moonstone have been rejoined? Would a new wielder have been sought, or would the blade have wound up in a vault somewhere, gathering dust but keeping the elfgate from being used? Or did the queen not have any plans beyond recovering the sword?

I'm inclined to think the blade would have been made whole once more, and given to a loyal member of the clan, but I can also see the reasoning behind forever taking it out of circulation.

Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2394 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2010 :  13:21:13  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

So as I mentioned, I'm going thru the Danilo and Arilyn books again. And I was struck by a thought... Queen Amlaruil and family didn't expect Arilyn to survive drawing the moonblade the first time. They obviously intended to reclaim the blade.

What would they have done with it? Would the moonblade and moonstone have been rejoined? Would a new wielder have been sought, or would the blade have wound up in a vault somewhere, gathering dust but keeping the elfgate from being used? Or did the queen not have any plans beyond recovering the sword?

I'm inclined to think the blade would have been made whole once more, and given to a loyal member of the clan, but I can also see the reasoning behind forever taking it out of circulation.

Queen Amlaruil's younger daughter, from whom she was bitterly estranged, was murdered. The queen traveled to the mainland first and foremost to attend the funeral. The moonblade would have to be recovered, of course, and the elfgate secured, but Amlaruil's thoughts were with her daughter more than the sword.

That said, her reign would not have lasted for centuries if she didn't plan ahead where the security of her realm was concerned. Once the elfgate was created, there would be contingency plans for every eventuality, including Princess Amnestria's death. They didn't foresee that Arilyn would attempt to claim the sword, much less that she would succeed. It's not that they didn't care that a half-elf girl would die before Amnestria's sword returned to the clan. They just didn't consider her at all.

So, what was the plan for Amnestria's sword? That is one of those things that should probably remain untold. Good question, though!
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2010 :  06:49:12  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is there any chance we will ever see more of those two (Dan and Arilyn)? Or maybe their descendants? I remember reading a tale that included a letter from Khelban to Danilo regarding a child of his and Arilyn's. Any chance we'll ever find out what happened to that child? That's one family I'd like to see continue.

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

Sandstorm
Seeker

Canada
80 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2010 :  06:54:16  Show Profile  Visit Sandstorm's Homepage Send Sandstorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm hoping that is who The Serpants Daughter is about, but I dare not cross my fingers.
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2394 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2010 :  14:12:08  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sandstorm

I'm hoping that is who The Serpants Daughter is about, but I dare not cross my fingers.

The serpent's daughter is Azariah Craulnober, daughter of Elaith "The Serpent" Craulnober.
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2394 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2010 :  14:16:37  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alystra Illianniis

Is there any chance we will ever see more of those two (Dan and Arilyn)? Or maybe their descendants? I remember reading a tale that included a letter from Khelban to Danilo regarding a child of his and Arilyn's. Any chance we'll ever find out what happened to that child? That's one family I'd like to see continue.

That quote from Khelben was not in the hard cover release of EVERMEET. It's the residual of an old version of the manuscript that somehow made its way into print when EVERMEET was released in paperback. It did not, in fact, refer to a child born to Danilo and Arilyn. Since it's part of an untold story, I really can't go into particulars.

This much, however, I can say: There are no descendants of Danilo and Arilyn living in Faerun in current Realms' time.
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2010 :  14:22:12  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ElaineCunningham

quote:

That quote from Khelben was not in the hard cover release of EVERMEET. It's the residual of an old version of the manuscript that somehow made its way into print when EVERMEET was released in paperback. It did not, in fact, refer to a child born to Danilo and Arilyn. Since it's part of an untold story, I really can't go into particulars.

This much, however, I can say: There are no descendants of Danilo and Arilyn living in Faerun in current Realms' time.

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2394 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2010 :  15:53:00  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

quote:
Originally posted by ElaineCunningham

quote:

Faerun is not the entirety of the Realms. Just saying.

Edited by - ElaineCunningham on 26 Oct 2010 16:31:53
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2010 :  16:22:37  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nor is it one planet or even one plane any more.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 26 Oct 2010 16:23:07
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2376 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2010 :  18:05:36  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for writing all this for us.
I mean both books and answers, of course.

Your fascination with certain Corvidae being so obvious, it's strange that there's no your novel or even a short story about (or at least involving) Raven's Bluff. Why?
After all, this would be the perfect excuse to insert them birds after whom the city was named.
Or there was some story, only i don't know?

P.S.: By the way... here's a song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVOGWhneqDk.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch

Edited by - TBeholder on 02 Nov 2010 18:07:13
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2394 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2010 :  15:20:06  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TBeholder

Your fascination with certain Corvidae being so obvious, it's strange that there's no your novel or even a short story about (or at least involving) Raven's Bluff. Why?
After all, this would be the perfect excuse to insert them birds after whom the city was named.
Or there was some story, only i don't know?

Hi, TBeholder.

Back in the day, certain areas of the Realms were considered off limits to novelists. Fans were assured that Raven's Bluff would be the sole province of the Living City campaign, and that Sembia would never be the setting for novels. Editorial direction changes over the years, but I never got out of the habit of regarding Ravens Bluff as a place no novelist could go.

I have, however, written a couple of short stories in which ravens play a significant role. One of these is "Raven," in the anthology Modern Magic by Fantasist Enterprises, the other "She Who Is Becoming," in the The Phantom Queen Awakes, published by Morrigan Books. One of my goals for 2011 is to collect some of my original short fiction (by which I mean that which is not related to a licensed world) in a ebook anthology.
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2010 :  14:18:14  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi, Mrs. Cunningham!

Just got a message from Paizo, about the release of Winter Witch. Here is part of it:

Take Off to the Great White North

Elaine Cunningham's Pathfinder Tales novel is here!
I really wanted to start off our Pathfinder Tales fiction line with a bang. So when we got Elaine Cunningham to sign on for one of the first novels, I was ecstatic! Elaine has always been a favorite author of mine—I especially like the Harpers books she penned for the Forgotten Realms book line for TSR and then WotC. Elaine's characters always pop off the page for me, making her novels memorable.

I know I'm sidetracking this FR forum a bit, but I just want to congratulate you. I'm reading Dream Spheres and loving it, and I hope you're having lots of fun writing The Serpent's daughter!

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2010 :  15:00:05  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hi, Mrs. Cunningham!

Just got a message from Paizo, about the release of Winter Witch. Here is part of it:

I really wanted to start off our Pathfinder Tales fiction line with a bang. So when we got Elaine Cunningham to sign on for one of the first novels, I was ecstatic! Elaine has always been a favorite author of mine—I especially like the Harpers books she penned for the Forgotten Realms book line for TSR and then WotC. Elaine's characters always pop off the page for me, making her novels memorable.

I know I'm sidetracking this FR forum a bit, but I just want to congratulate you. I'm reading Dream Spheres and loving it, and I hope you're having lots of fun writing The Serpent's daughter!

I'm more than halfway thru that novel now, and I'm finding it quite enjoyable.

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2010 :  16:52:02  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I too am enjoying Dream Spheres - thanx

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2010 :  00:42:02  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Hi, Mrs. Cunningham!

I'm more than halfway thru that novel now, and I'm finding it quite enjoyable.

I've been eagerly anticipating the arrival of my copy, but have yet to hear back from the book store I ordered it from. Maybe I should contact them again.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2010 :  02:07:44  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I finished the book this afternoon, and I found it quite enjoyable. If Paizo can keep putting out books like that, I foresee having an entire bookcase of Pathfinder novels.

I really liked Declan's unique magical ability, in particular. Not something I ever would have thought of, and it's a far cry from what you'd expect from any fantasy protagonist. Very different, and it really worked for the story.

I would be more than happy to read at least two more books about Declan and Ellasif. (hint, hint! )

Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2394 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2010 :  16:06:28  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm sure that most of you are familiar with Patrick Rothfuss, author of THE NAME OF THE WIND. He's currently running a fundraiser for Heifer International, a terrific organization that purchases goats, chickens, rabbits and other lifestock for families in desperate need. Anyone who makes a donation will be entered into a lottery to receive one (or more) of the hundreds of prizes Patrick and his assistants have been collecting--signed books, mostly. This morning I sent two copies of WINTER WITCH to be included among the possible prizes.

For more information, here's a link to Patrick's blog:

http://blog.patrickrothfuss.com/2010/11/worldbuilders-2010/
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2394 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2010 :  17:14:12  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi, folks. Got a favor to ask of you.

If you plan to read WINTER WITCH, would you consider posting a review on Amazon.com and/or other review sites? The Pathfinder Tales line is just starting out, and the amount of exposure the first couple of titles receive could be very important for the line.

Thanks! Hope you enjoy the story.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2010 :  00:04:56  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm no good at reviewing books... But I'll post a review of this one, as soon as Amazon lets me. I want more of Declan and Ellasif, and I want more Pathfinder fiction in general!

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2010 :  00:14:48  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'm no good at reviewing books... But I'll post a review of this one, as soon as Amazon lets me. I want more of Declan and Ellasif, and I want more Pathfinder fiction in general!

Agreed.

I'll try though... just as soon as my copy arrives.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2010 :  20:00:56  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry, i am new to the Forums and just found this post, I was wondering has there been any further development on Elaith's half-silver dragon companion? What was his name? I believe I read of him in the Waterdeep novel. Any other sources for info on this character?

Tincheron, yes that was it.I found the short story in Dragon, but I'm still wondering, any kind of build for him? I'd be most interested to see it. Thanks.

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Edited by - Fellfire on 23 Nov 2010 22:30:32
Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2010 :  22:39:39  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Elaine, I just finished Thornhold!

What an excellent novel, your whole Songs & Swords series is just unbeatable in terms of realms flavor!

Reading the Epilogue I could not avoid the impression, that you clearly had a part II in mind considering that there where left strings wide open such as Dag vs. Bronwyn, Algorind and Gareth, Paladins vs Harpers and considering the final dialogue between Piergeiron and Kelben maybe even the future rupture among the Harpers...

So...quite some stuff to fill several books with actually.

Can you give some insight on what where your original plans with those open strings and why you did not continue them?

"You make an intriguing offer, one that is very tempting. It would seem that I have little alternative than to answer thusly: DISINTEGRATE!" Vaarsuvius, Order of the Stick 625
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 37  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000