Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

 All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Elaine Cunningham [II]
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 41

Seravin
Senior Scribe

Canada
952 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2019 :  10:43:10  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Elaine - over the years I have appreciated Elfsong more and more as my favorite Realms book from you. One thing I haven't really understood with it though is the rules/logic about the song that Garnet cast - it seems to be very random who had their memory of the old ballads songs twisted/removed and who didn't. Is there in fact a logic behind it that you can share with us? Were high level bards/people not impacted ("made their saving throw") or was it specific people targeted? Was there a range to the spell? Any races more susceptible than others?

I really, really like this book and re-read it regularly. Just a very fun romp, I only wish it had more Arilyn and Danilo together in it.
Go to Top of Page

Sunderstone
Learned Scribe

91 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2019 :  14:36:16  Show Profile Send Sunderstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Elaine. I've loved all your books and how much you brought Waterdeep to life any many of them. I have a question about Piergeiron between Thornhold and Waterdeep City of Splendors. In Thornhold, he seemed more political and there was obviously tension between he and Khelban. In City of Splendors, he seemed much more open and Kingly, a kind of King Arthur figure. And there didn't seem to be any implied tension between he and Khelban and Mirt was obviously very protective when he was attacked. Was this more of a story point or a difference in Ed's interpretation of Piergeiron?
Thanks!

Edited by - Sunderstone on 13 Aug 2019 15:37:06
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2354 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2019 :  16:40:50  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage Send ElaineCunningham a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sunderstone

Hi Elaine. I've loved all your books and how much you brought Waterdeep to life any many of them. I have a question about Piergeiron between Thornhold and Waterdeep City of Splendors. In Thornhold, he seemed more political and there was obviously tension between he and Khelban. In City of Splendors, he seemed much more open and Kingly, a kind of King Arthur figure. And there didn't seem to be any implied tension between he and Khelban and Mirt was obviously very protective when he was attacked. Was this more of a story point or a difference in Ed's interpretation of Piergeiron?
Thanks!



Hi, Sunderstone.

The differences can be attributed to two things: theme and narrative point of view.

Thornhold was all about politics, the Harper organization in particular. It was originally intended to be a "pivot novel" that would open a story line about a Harper schism. The editorial direction shifted, so not all of those themes played out, but the political issues remained central to the story. A central question in City of Splendors was "What is a hero?" Piergeiron is both a politician and a heroic warrior, but those roles can look quite different.

Point of view can also make a huge difference. In Thornhold, we see Piergeiron mostly through Khelben's eyes, in the context of two government officials working through some difficult issues. In City of Splendors, Piergieron is seem through the eyes of a young admirer who does indeed see him as a bright and shining paladin/king.

I'm sure we'd get yet another perspective of Piergeiron in a novel about his early life and training, or a novel told from the viewpoint of his future wife during their courtship, or a story told from the POV of his teenaged daughters. All of these portrayals would be different, all of them might be accurate, and none of them would tell the whole story of the man and his life.
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
4654 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2019 :  18:22:50  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Elaine,

I'm working on the Moonshae Isles for a moment and was hoping to secret place one of the children of Zaor and Amlaruil there (unfortunately I will probably have her killed during the events of Darkwalker). I cant remember their names right now but it was one of the twin girls drowned on route to elsewhere that I intended to use (figuring the either the story was a ruse to keep them secret and safe or that the ship did sink but at least one survived and was reported dead to again keep her safe)

Now i had a look into the children and couldn't find very much detail beyond a very broad period of time in which they were born (the start of Amlaruils reign and the present day) and in what order.

Would you be able to provide a narrower timeline in years (or even decades) when certain children were born (particularly the boy and girl twins, i know that twin boys were also in synnoria and was trying to figure out why they would all be in one place but not necessarily know one another - I guess it depends at what age they were sent away and when they were born).

Anyway, I hope some of my rambling request made sense.

Kind Regards

Gary

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2354 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2019 :  18:25:40  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage Send ElaineCunningham a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gary Dallison

Hi Elaine,

I'm working on the Moonshae Isles for a moment and was hoping to secret place one of the children of Zaor and Amlaruil there (unfortunately I will probably have her killed during the events of Darkwalker). I cant remember their names right now but it was one of the twin girls drowned on route to elsewhere that I intended to use (figuring the either the story was a ruse to keep them secret and safe or that the ship did sink but at least one survived and was reported dead to again keep her safe)

Now i had a look into the children and couldn't find very much detail beyond a very broad period of time in which they were born (the start of Amlaruils reign and the present day) and in what order.

Would you be able to provide a narrower timeline in years (or even decades) when certain children were born (particularly the boy and girl twins, i know that twin boys were also in synnoria and was trying to figure out why they would all be in one place but not necessarily know one another - I guess it depends at what age they were sent away and when they were born).

Anyway, I hope some of my rambling request made sense.

Kind Regards

Gary




Hi, Gary.

Unfortunately, my notes for Evermeet were lost 20 years ago, during a move from Maryland to Rhode Island. I don't have this information readily available and would have to recreate a timeline, which would require more research than I'm able to do at present. The best solution would be to assign whatever dates work best for your campaign.
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
4654 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2019 :  18:41:26  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm fine with doing the leg work, it's a shame your notes were lost though.

Just to check, but did you envisage the children being born close together (i.e. every year as the evermeet novel implies), or decades and perhaps a century or more between the youngest and oldest children

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2330 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2019 :  19:04:05  Show Profile  Send CorellonsDevout an AOL message Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Iirc from Evermeet (it's been several years since I read it) both sets of twins seemed close together, so a few years a part, rather than decades. Amlaruil seemed pretty fertile for an elf lol. Don't quote me on the time length though.

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
4654 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2019 :  19:18:06  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I vaguely remember the phrase being "a child born each spring", which implies of course that one was born every year. However, humans measure the passing of years, elves being of longer life may measure time in a different manner and spring may refer not to an ever changing annual season, but a macro period of growth spanning a decade or more where the land or the kingdom or even the family of Amlaruil prospered or shook off a wintry/desolate period.


Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2330 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2019 :  19:34:47  Show Profile  Send CorellonsDevout an AOL message Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Possible (elves do measure age differently), but they are also attuned to nature and the seasons, so "every spring" could mean exactly that. I think it would have been mentioned if it had meant something different, so that we (as readers) would understand the time frame. I will not speak for Elaine though ^^ that is just my interpretation.

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

Sunderstone
Learned Scribe

91 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2019 :  02:51:07  Show Profile Send Sunderstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ElaineCunningham

quote:
Originally posted by Sunderstone

Hi Elaine. I've loved all your books and how much you brought Waterdeep to life any many of them. I have a question about Piergeiron between Thornhold and Waterdeep City of Splendors. In Thornhold, he seemed more political and there was obviously tension between he and Khelban. In City of Splendors, he seemed much more open and Kingly, a kind of King Arthur figure. And there didn't seem to be any implied tension between he and Khelban and Mirt was obviously very protective when he was attacked. Was this more of a story point or a difference in Ed's interpretation of Piergeiron?
Thanks!



Hi, Sunderstone.

The differences can be attributed to two things: theme and narrative point of view.

Thornhold was all about politics, the Harper organization in particular. It was originally intended to be a "pivot novel" that would open a story line about a Harper schism. The editorial direction shifted, so not all of those themes played out, but the political issues remained central to the story. A central question in City of Splendors was "What is a hero?" Piergeiron is both a politician and a heroic warrior, but those roles can look quite different.

Point of view can also make a huge difference. In Thornhold, we see Piergeiron mostly through Khelben's eyes, in the context of two government officials working through some difficult issues. In City of Splendors, Piergieron is seem through the eyes of a young admirer who does indeed see him as a bright and shining paladin/king.

I'm sure we'd get yet another perspective of Piergeiron in a novel about his early life and training, or a novel told from the viewpoint of his future wife during their courtship, or a story told from the POV of his teenaged daughters. All of these portrayals would be different, all of them might be accurate, and none of them would tell the whole story of the man and his life.




Thanks! Here is hoping you get to take us back to Waterdeep with old friends like Danilo and Arilyn one more time!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 41 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2019 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000