Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Elaine Cunningham [II]
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 37

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2016 :  13:10:46  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fellfire

I expect nothing from others. Especially in this medium. I'm sure the German have a word for that, though I don't know it.

Pretty sure the Germans have a word for everything--including "having a word for everything."
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2016 :  01:33:05  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

quote:
Originally posted by ElaineCunningham
Well, damn. Now Elaith is going to have to kill a whole lot of people.

Or maybe not. How many people actually read this scroll?

More than you think.

-- George Krashos

Even those of us who appear to not be around much anymore, are lurking more often than not.

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2016 :  16:59:58  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I think, Elaine, in one of your novels Elaith had a poison ring that contained a poison specific to elves. Can you tell me what it was, where it can be found, and the effects of it?

I passed your request along to Elaith, (...)

Statha (...)

Well, damn. Now Elaith is going to have to kill a whole lot of people.

Or maybe not. How many people actually read this scroll?

Hey, I have only a name, but no idea on where to find it, and about its effects...

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2016 :  13:29:29  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Barastir

Hey, I have only a name, but no idea on where to find it, and about its effects...

I'm sure Elaith will take your word on this. Yes, a Chat With The Dead spell would add a level of certainty, but hey--he's a reasonable elf, always willing to bet on the inherent goodness of human nature. I wouldn't be worried, if I were you. Not one bit. Really.
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2016 :  16:18:47  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
(...) I wouldn't be worried, if I were you. Not one bit. Really.

Errrr... Sure!

Lead by example.

(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2016 :  14:08:00  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi, folks.

I'm in the processing of updating my website. The Forgotten Realms page lists my books and has a page for each book. I've also added a page for Games, and will be adding my RPG writing credits and other game-related articles. I'll also be posting about games more. So if that's of any interest, here's a link:

http://www.elainecunningham.com/games/writing-for-and-about-games/
Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1265 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2016 :  18:33:06  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Looks very sharp Elaine! I didn't even know you had an Everquest novel. I have to check that out.
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2016 :  20:33:09  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Seravin

Looks very sharp Elaine! I didn't even know you had an Everquest novel. I have to check that out.

Yeah, EverQuest was an obscure and ill-fated project. The publishing company was a start-up, and it was sold while I was writing the book to a publisher that had no fantasy line whatsoever and zero interest in continuing this series. The EverQuest license expired the month my book was released, so what with one thing and another, no one saw any reason to promote or even really distribute the poor orphaned thing. It doesn't even LOOK like an EverQuest product, since the (first) publisher decided to go with a weird anime approach.

I think BLOOD RED HARP is one of my better stories, but it fell off the map shortly after publication. It's been OOP for quite a while now, so you might have trouble finding a copy.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11689 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2016 :  23:26:57  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow, I love that picture of Fyodor and Liriel on your site. Looks like it was for a redo of tangled webs? Who painted it? I might want to see if I can get a copy.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2016 :  01:27:35  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

Wow, I love that picture of Fyodor and Liriel on your site. Looks like it was for a redo of tangled webs? Who painted it? I might want to see if I can get a copy.

This is the original cover art for Tangled Webs. You can find the image on Todd Lockwood's website, and he is selling prints. Here's a link:

http://toddlockwood.com/book-covers/tangled-webs/
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2016 :  13:28:19  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I read Blood Red Harp. Boy, that was long ago, I'll have to see if I can find it again.

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11689 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2016 :  15:24:26  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

This is the original cover art for Tangled Webs. You can find the image on Todd Lockwood's website, and he is selling prints. Here's a link:

http://toddlockwood.com/book-covers/tangled-webs/

Well, that explains it. I got a couple of his prints on the wall. He and Elmore compete for my wall space.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Elven Avenger
Acolyte

Brazil
27 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2016 :  16:58:58  Show Profile Send Elven Avenger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A spoiler warning ahead, since I have to mention some facts in the Elfshadow and Evermeet books.
Well Here I go.

Dear Elaine, sorry if this is not the right place to ask this. But, I’m in need of some clarification or at least a bit of insight of yours related to these books.
Its stated that Zaor is killed by Fenian Ni’tessine in Evermeet in the year 1321. Right after that, Fenian is also murdered by Kymil Nimesin using the arrow from Bran Skorslun’s bow after he fails telling Kymil that he did not killed Amnestria but killed the king instead.

Then, in the future, in Elfshadow, Arylin meets Tintagel Ni’Tessine and is informed that said elf carries a piece of the shaft with a raven mark on it, saying it to be the arrow that killed his father Fenian in 1321. And he also says that, he is looking for revenge against his father’s killer.

Also in Elfshadow, Arylin confirms that Bran was the one who shot Fenian that day in the past, concluding that the arrow Tintagel carries came from Bran’s Bow.

So, now for my question at last. Considering all this, and the passing of time. Would House Ni’Tessine be able to consider Bran as Fenian’s killer? Would that still be a mystery for the Family? Or, yet, would the Ni’Tessine Family be able to find out that, was in fact, Kymil who killed Fenian, and tried to frame Bran leaving his body behind with the arrow on it?

I’m not sure if you would be able to confirm anything, but as I said, any insight from you would be very well regarded since I have nothing more of information from it!

Thanks in advance!
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2016 :  20:08:25  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Elven Avenger

A spoiler warning ahead, since I have to mention some facts in the Elfshadow and Evermeet books.
Well Here I go.

Dear Elaine, sorry if this is not the right place to ask this. But, I’m in need of some clarification or at least a bit of insight of yours related to these books.
Its stated that Zaor is killed by Fenian Ni’tessine in Evermeet in the year 1321. Right after that, Fenian is also murdered by Kymil Nimesin using the arrow from Bran Skorslun’s bow after he fails telling Kymil that he did not killed Amnestria but killed the king instead.

Then, in the future, in Elfshadow, Arylin meets Tintagel Ni’Tessine and is informed that said elf carries a piece of the shaft with a raven mark on it, saying it to be the arrow that killed his father Fenian in 1321. And he also says that, he is looking for revenge against his father’s killer.

Also in Elfshadow, Arylin confirms that Bran was the one who shot Fenian that day in the past, concluding that the arrow Tintagel carries came from Bran’s Bow.

So, now for my question at last. Considering all this, and the passing of time. Would House Ni’Tessine be able to consider Bran as Fenian’s killer? Would that still be a mystery for the Family? Or, yet, would the Ni’Tessine Family be able to find out that, was in fact, Kymil who killed Fenian, and tried to frame Bran leaving his body behind with the arrow on it?

I’m not sure if you would be able to confirm anything, but as I said, any insight from you would be very well regarded since I have nothing more of information from it!

Thanks in advance!

If memory serves, during the events of ELFSHADOW, when Arilyn met Tintagel, he did indeed believe that Bran killed his father. I imagine it took quite some time to solve this mystery, but it seems likely that the Ni'Tessine family now knows the truth.

When Kymil was captured and tried, I would assume that he was questioned through magical means. It also seems likely that elves and elven magic were involved in that questioning. The Harpers brought Kymil to trial, but they would be extremely careful to avoid any appearance of scapegoating or sweeping evidence against one of their members (Bran) under the carpet. For political reasons, they would have to ensure that Evermeet's elves knew the extent of Kymil's crimes.

It is possible, however, that some members of the Ni'Tessine family consider Bran and the Harpers to be responsible for Fenian's death, despite any evidence to the contrary. Elves, like humans, can be remarkably adept at discrediting--or for that matter, simply filtering out--any information that does not conform to their beliefs and opinions.
Go to Top of Page

Elven Avenger
Acolyte

Brazil
27 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2016 :  20:35:06  Show Profile Send Elven Avenger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow! Thank you very much. This is a superb big clarification!

Thanks for dedicating your time to think and post about it! Cheers!
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2016 :  13:06:21  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wonderful response, and thank you for bringing the question, Elven Avenger. I've never considered it.

Lead by example.

(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

Sunderstone
Learned Scribe

104 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2016 :  18:45:49  Show Profile Send Sunderstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Elaine,

I believe at one point you were scheduled to write a Zekk centric SW novel. I can't recall why it was cancelled but I would have loved to have read it.

How far along were you in writing/plotting the story? What kind of Jedi and personality did you see Zekk as? My only memories are the Troy Denning books he appeared in.

Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2016 :  20:08:05  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sunderstone

Hi Elaine,

I believe at one point you were scheduled to write a Zekk centric SW novel. I can't recall why it was cancelled but I would have loved to have read it.

How far along were you in writing/plotting the story? What kind of Jedi and personality did you see Zekk as? My only memories are the Troy Denning books he appeared in.

Thanks!

This is true. The events of BLOOD OATH fell into the period of time between the New Jedi Order story arc and Legacy of the Jedi. The outline was completed and had been approved by Del Rey and the LucasFilm continuity team, and the manuscript was not quite half completed. I was unable to finish the manuscript due to a lengthy illness. which also caused the demise of two FR books. That was not a happy time.

It was, however, lots of fun to work with Zekk when he was the focus of his own story. He had been supporting cast, sidekick, the short side of a love triangle, even a (redeemed) villain, but never a protagonist.
Go to Top of Page

SABERinBLUE
Acolyte

30 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2016 :  01:57:15  Show Profile Send SABERinBLUE a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On that same note, Elaine, what was it like writing for Star Wars? I know Star Wars is pretty much just fantasy with a coat of sci-if paint, but were there any particularly interesting or noteworthy mental adjustments you had to make? Additionally, I've been curious for a while about the sort of matched cover art for Dark Journey and Traitor. As your book focuses on Jaina and Mr. Stover's focuses on Jacen, were they intended as, I don't know, companion or counterpoint novels, with perhaps you and he comparing notes, or was the cover art just a publisher thing? Thanks very much!

On a side note, when introducing new players to the Realms I always tell them something along the lines of "if you want a book to read that's relevant to the campaign we're doing in some specific way, try book A or book B. But if you want an introduction to the Realms, anything by Elaine Cunningham is going to be a good read."
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2016 :  02:33:04  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SABERinBLUE

On that same note, Elaine, what was it like writing for Star Wars? I know Star Wars is pretty much just fantasy with a coat of sci-if paint, but were there any particularly interesting or noteworthy mental adjustments you had to make? Additionally, I've been curious for a while about the sort of matched cover art for Dark Journey and Traitor. As your book focuses on Jaina and Mr. Stover's focuses on Jacen, were they intended as, I don't know, companion or counterpoint novels, with perhaps you and he comparing notes, or was the cover art just a publisher thing? Thanks very much!

On a side note, when introducing new players to the Realms I always tell them something along the lines of "if you want a book to read that's relevant to the campaign we're doing in some specific way, try book A or book B. But if you want an introduction to the Realms, anything by Elaine Cunningham is going to be a good read."

Thanks for the kind word, and the recommendations!

To be honest, I never noticed the similarity in the cover art between these two books. You've got a good eye for design! Cover decisions are the publisher's territory. There was no collaboration between authors on cover design. Most of the coordination was done at the LucasFilm level, but I was in contact with some of the other authors--Troy Denning, in particular, since he had a book out just before mine. I don't recall whether or not I spoke with Matt Stover, but Dark Journey and Traitor were not regarded as reflection of each other, so there wasn't the sort of collaboration that the cover art suggests.

I wrote Dark Journey twelve years ago, so I don't recall all the details of the writing process, but one thing that does linger in mind is the HUGE adjustment from doing battle choreography in a pseudo-medieval technology to writing a space battle with a bazillion ships that are zipping about every which way. Working in 3D is tough, not only to visualize, but to describe. The usual direction designators--up, down, east, west--don't apply, or at least, don't apply the same way.

Edited by - ElaineCunningham on 31 Dec 2016 02:37:02
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2017 :  15:59:46  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
A couple of weeks back, it occurred to me that the relationship between Raymond Reddington and Elizabeth Keen, two characters on "The Blacklist," have a lot in common with the interaction between my Forgotten Realms characters Elaith Craulnober and Arilyn Moonblade. Since Elaith is my favorite among my villains, it seemed worthwhile to explore these similarities and figure out WHY Elaith appeals to me. The resulting post is up on my website, second in my ongoing exploration of villains.

This post will make the most sense to people who've read the Songs & Swords books AND who watch "Blacklist," but perhaps it might also spark a few thoughts about villainy in general, for those of us who contemplate such things.

http://www.elainecunningham.com/writing-about-writing/villains-we-love-to-hate-and-hate-to-love/
Go to Top of Page

KanzenAU
Senior Scribe

Australia
763 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2017 :  23:42:47  Show Profile Send KanzenAU a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great post! What an incredible thing it would be to have another book with Elaith front and centre (or more appropriately, lurking in the shadows). Perhaps one day...

I'm not sure if I've personally posted to you before Elaine, so I think it's worth telling you that I find your Realms writing the most evocative and just darn thoroughly readable of the Realms books out there, though there are other authors I really appreciate as well. Your work with Ed on City of Splendors brings Waterdeep to life in a way no other book I've come across does, and Thornhold (specificially the tale of the brothers Caradoon) has given me more inspiration for where I want to take my home D&D game than any other tale.

So, thank you!

Regional maps for Waterdeep, Triboar, Ardeep Forest, and Cormyr on DM's Guild, plus a campaign sized map for the North
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2017 :  00:56:51  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"He’s the father of Arilyn’s half-brother."

What?! Tell me more...

"What an incredible thing it would be to have another book with Elaith front and centre (or more appropriately, lurking in the shadows). Perhaps one day.."

Please! pleasepleasepleaseplease...

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2017 :  02:13:48  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the kind word, KanzenAU. :)

Fellfire, as much as I'd like to revisit Elaith's story, it doesn't appear that WotC will be doing novels for a while.

As for Arilyn's half-brother, her mother Amnestria was betrothed to Elaith. He left Evermeet before either of them knew she was pregnant. She and Elaith...went in different directions, and Amnestria fell in love with a human ranger, Bran Skorlsun. For reasons I don't want to get into, her son was raised in fosterage. Arilyn knows him, but she doesn't know of the relationship. Elaith doesn't know the child exists. Danilo does--he found out when researching the manuscript for EVERMEET--but he's bound by a promise to not reveal any of the book's contents until he is cleared to do so by Evermeet's elves. That permission does not seem to be forthcoming any time soon.

Even understanding that a vow is a vow, when Elaith and Arilyn find out that Dan keep this information from them, they are going to be pissed.
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2017 :  11:58:08  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, you know, we wouldn't mind a little fan-fiction here at the 'Keep. ;

Misanthorpe

Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2017 :  10:39:02  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

As for Arilyn's half-brother, (...)

Hi, Mrs. Cunningham. I've been away for some time, and when I return, I have this precious piece of lore waiting for me! Thank you very much, dear lady!

Lead by example.

(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

Malgus
Acolyte

1 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2017 :  06:47:40  Show Profile Send Malgus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello Elaine! Now that Ed has put out "All Things Through The Bright Flames" on DMs Guild, have you revisited the idea of releasing anything via DMs Guild?
Go to Top of Page

EthanSental
Acolyte

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2017 :  05:01:45  Show Profile Send EthanSental a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was curious about this as well as a purchaser of Ed's fiction mentioned above. It's only a copper best seller which I'm guessing is due to it being buried under all the other things being loaded to the site and not enough people know of it.
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2017 :  01:36:30  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I stopped by the DMs Guild, and Ed's story was the only thing listed under Fiction. I would have expected its publication to unleash a floodgate of fanfic, but it didn't. From the best info I can gather, it would appear that WotC made an exception for Ed, and would not be open to anyone else publishing fiction.

So the short answer is no, the situation has not changed.
Go to Top of Page

EthanSental
Acolyte

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2017 :  06:13:38  Show Profile Send EthanSental a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the response! I'm currently reading the book as well as listening to Thornhold on audible....chapter 4 and hooked!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 37  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000