Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Elaine Cunningham [II]
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 37

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
29901 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2010 :  05:51:03  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Barastir

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
I have a doc on my hard drive that's a background of Elaith, complete with bibliography. I believe it came from your site. I'd be happy to email it to you.

Rupert, do you think it's from the Elaith page?

Pretty sure it is. The bibliography links back to her site.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31688 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2010 :  07:32:01  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:
I have a doc on my hard drive that's a background of Elaith, complete with bibliography. I believe it came from your site. I'd be happy to email it to you.

Rupert, do you think it's from the Elaith page?

Pretty sure it is. The bibliography links back to her site.

Wooly has the right of it. I saved a lot of the old stuff uploaded to Elaine's old website... including the page which contained Elaith's write-up.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Erethar
Seeker

Germany
20 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2010 :  19:31:39  Show Profile  Visit Erethar's Homepage Send Erethar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So it is true again.

Everything once put online, STAYS online
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1394 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2010 :  12:52:19  Show Profile  Click to see Barastir's MSN Messenger address Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage
Wooly has the right of it. I saved a lot of the old stuff uploaded to Elaine's old website... including the page which contained Elaith's write-up.

I wasn't questioning his right, for sure. Just asked Rupert if he could send me this material, if Mrs. Cunningham permits me, of course.

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2010 :  13:37:24  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think the Sage means that the Wooly One was correct.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31688 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2010 :  13:44:59  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Aye, Kaje. I was referring to Wooly's statement about the links.

Sorry if I wasn't clear, Barastir.

Edited by - The Sage on 26 Jul 2010 13:46:25
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2010 :  13:55:15  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I dare say that, generally speaking, English expressions are harder to figure out for people speaking non-germanic languages.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett

Edited by - Kajehase on 26 Jul 2010 13:56:36
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1394 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2010 :  16:31:41  Show Profile  Click to see Barastir's MSN Messenger address Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

I dare say that, generally speaking, English expressions are harder to figure out for people speaking non-germanic languages.

In fact, they are a bit harder. Our language strucuture is way different, being generally based in latin, with some words of greek origin. But for me, at least, it was more of a distraction... My fault!

Mrs. Cunningham, would you permit Wooly Rupert or the Sage send me the data from Elaith's page, then? (Where can I find a pleading-eyed "puss in boots" icon"?)

Lead by example.

(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2246 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2010 :  17:32:18  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage Send ElaineCunningham a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

In fact, they are a bit harder. Our language strucuture is way different, being generally based in latin, with some words of greek origin. But for me, at least, it was more of a distraction... My fault!

Mrs. Cunningham, would you permit Wooly Rupert or the Sage send me the data from Elaith's page, then? (Where can I find a pleading-eyed "puss in boots" icon"?)

Go for it. Wooly, would you mind emailing me a copy, as well? Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3524 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2010 :  18:11:56  Show Profile  Send The Red Walker a Yahoo! Message Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ElaineCunningham

quote:

quote:

Elaine,

Is it something that you would allow posted here at the 'keep , assuming Big Al, The Sage and Wooly agree to?

P.S.

Wooly can you email me a copy as well?

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963

Edited by - The Red Walker on 26 Jul 2010 18:12:33
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1394 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2010 :  18:34:28  Show Profile  Click to see Barastir's MSN Messenger address Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Thank you very much, Mrs. Cunningham!!! (HUGE smile from a very, very happy fan of yours!)
And my thanks in advance to you too, Wooly Rupert!

Lead by example.

(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
29901 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2010 :  01:22:11  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Folks, I've sent that doc along to Elaine. Since I'm not 100% certain it was actually from her site, I'm waiting for her to confirm or deny it before I share it with everyone else.

In the meantime, though... Those of you who also want the file, PM me your email address. As soon as I hear back from friend Elaine, I'll get the file emailed out.

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31688 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2010 :  01:38:24  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Folks, I've sent that doc along to Elaine. Since I'm not 100% certain it was actually from her site, I'm waiting for her to confirm or deny it before I share it with everyone else.

In the meantime, though... Those of you who also want the file, PM me your email address. As soon as I hear back from friend Elaine, I'll get the file emailed out.

Since I know from past experience, how quickly an influx of PM can flood an Inbox during a situation such as this, I'd be willing to assist as well, so fellow scribes should feel free to PM me also. Pending Elaine's confirmation, of course. [Though, from the site architecture that I managed to save from her old site, I do recall that the "Elaith" file was stored there.]

Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2246 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2010 :  12:16:32  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage Send ElaineCunningham a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The file Wooly sent me was indeed the "Elaith page" from a former incarnation of my website. Feel free to post it here and/or share with other Candlekeep members.

Edited by - ElaineCunningham on 27 Jul 2010 12:23:17
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2010 :  05:29:06  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Hi Elaine!

Not sure if this was asked before...

Are there any survivors of Halruaa? If there are, who are they? And where are they now?

I like your C&K trilogy, by the way. And it's really annoying that the SP had to erase Halruaa from the map.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2246 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2010 :  12:36:11  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage Send ElaineCunningham a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dennis

Hi Elaine!

Not sure if this was asked before...

Are there any survivors of Halruaa? If there are, who are they? And where are they now?

I like your C&K trilogy, by the way. And it's really annoying that the SP had to erase Halruaa from the map.

Hi, dennis. Delighted to hear that you enjoyed C&K.

As for Halruaa, it would appear that some people did survive, but I don't know who they are or where they might have gone. Three (or even four) human generations have passed since the Spellplague, so I imagine any survivors would be thoroughly assimilated into their new situations.

That said, I have wondered what remains of Halruaa. There's a little land left, so it's likely that someone (or something) is still living there. If so, they'd face some interesting challenges. I'd be interested in revisiting the area. It would be a wonderful setting for a ghost story, if nothing else.
Go to Top of Page

gomez
Learned Scribe

Netherlands
254 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2010 :  13:41:09  Show Profile  Visit gomez's Homepage Send gomez a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Five Companies are an organization that survives from Halruaa.
They own the few remaining sky ships and their HQ is on an earthmote called Yaulazna.
They are described in the FRCG, and featured in RPGA adventures CORE2-3 High Infidelity and CORE2-10 Upon the Sea of Stars.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2010 :  14:03:45  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Thanks, Elaine, gomez!

I expected the SP to wipe out certain realms, but not Halruaa. Did Wizards specifically mention why they had/wanted to destroy Halrua (other than that the SP annihilated realms at random)? There are a lot of seemingly insignificant realms (Innarlith, for instance) that could be erased from the map without vexing some realms-readers.

I do not think the destruction of Halruaa has something to do with it being an area of great concentration of magic, which I read in some scrolls is a possible cause. A lot of magic-rich realms survived that RSE, like Thay, Shade, and Cormyr.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1394 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2010 :  14:13:22  Show Profile  Click to see Barastir's MSN Messenger address Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mrs. Cunningham, I was reading the old posts and found something about a graphic novel project.
quote:
I'm very pleased to be working on the script with Dale Donovan, a very talented writer and game designer. I am new to the world of graphic novels and lack the time to get up to speed, so working with a collaborator is really the only way to go. Dale wrote the outline, but once we start writing for the individual frames, I'll be more involved in the process.

Was it ever published, or was it cancelled?

Oh, and I just read the Realms of Magic "The direct approach", great story! Vasha the Red surprised me, I must admit! And about that time-travelling device... Couldn't it have survived?

Just remembering a plea from Charles Phipps, of Dan & Arilyn time-traveling, just after you declared you should end up the Songs & Swords series "for a number of reasons, not the least of which is the upcoming edition change and the fact that the timeline will be moved ahead 100 years."

Now, a more serious question. In a post about the lost princes and princesses of Evermeet, I found this entry:
quote:
Shandalar became a bladesinger, trained in the art by bladesinger Shanyrria Alenuath. She was accidentally killed by a fellow student, a spell-singer, during a training drill. It is not certain whether Shanyrria, her mentor, survived. If so, the bladesinger will be eager to avenge the death of this princess, her student and namesake.

SPOILER ALERT (select to highlight):

Wasn't it CLEAR that Shanyrria Alenuath died in Evermeet's defense, in the Island of Elves novel? Or this is an older reference?

Thank you for always answering your fans so kindly!

Lead by example.

(by Ed Greenwood)

Edited by - Barastir on 28 Jul 2010 14:41:14
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2246 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2010 :  17:48:18  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage Send ElaineCunningham a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dennis

I expected the SP to wipe out certain realms, but not Halruaa. Did Wizards specifically mention why they had/wanted to destroy Halrua (other than that the SP annihilated realms at random)? There are a lot of seemingly insignificant realms (Innarlith, for instance) that could be erased from the map without vexing some realms-readers.

I do not think the destruction of Halruaa has something to do with it being an area of great concentration of magic, which I read in some scrolls is a possible cause. A lot of magic-rich realms survived that RSE, like Thay, Shade, and Cormyr.

I don't know the reasoning behind Halruaa's destruction.
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2246 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2010 :  18:01:29  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage Send ElaineCunningham a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Mrs. Cunningham, I was reading the old posts and found something about a graphic novel project.
quote:
I'm very pleased to be working on the script with Dale Donovan, a very talented writer and game designer. I am new to the world of graphic novels and lack the time to get up to speed, so working with a collaborator is really the only way to go. Dale wrote the outline, but once we start writing for the individual frames, I'll be more involved in the process.

It was published in December 2008. Dale Donovan dropped out of the project fairly early on, and I wrote the script with a lot of suggestion and feedback from Jim Lowder, the project editor.

This was the last of the "Worlds of Dungeons & Dragons" graphic novels by Devil's Due Publisher. It's a 48 page book and also contains an adaptation of a Dragonlance story by Richard Knack. More books were planned, but DDP ran into difficulties and cancelled the rest of the series.

quote:
Oh, and I just read the Realms of Magic "The direct approach", great story! Vasha the Red surprised me, I must admit! And about that time-travelling device... Couldn't it have survived?

Gods above, I hope not! "Chronomancy" was a feature of the Realms at the time and I had fun playing with the notion, but in general I try to stay away from time travel.

quote:
Now, a more serious question. In a post about the lost princes and princesses of Evermeet, I found this entry:
quote:
Shandalar became a bladesinger, trained in the art by bladesinger Shanyrria Alenuath. She was accidentally killed by a fellow student, a spell-singer, during a training drill. It is not certain whether Shanyrria, her mentor, survived. If so, the bladesinger will be eager to avenge the death of this princess, her student and namesake.

SPOILER ALERT (select to highlight):

Wasn't it CLEAR that Shanyrria Alenuath died in Evermeet's defense, in the Island of Elves novel? Or this is an older reference?

Thank you for always answering your fans so kindly!

Shanyrria certainly expected to die and, given the circumstances in which we last see her, it would be logical to assume that she went down fighting. But since we don't actually SEE her death, I wouldn't be too quick to count her out.
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1394 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2010 :  19:42:27  Show Profile  Click to see Barastir's MSN Messenger address Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
It was published in December 2008. Dale Donovan dropped out of the project fairly early on, and I wrote the script with a lot of suggestion and feedback from Jim Lowder, the project editor.

Very good news! Now I have ANOTHER novel in my "must buy" line!
quote:

Gods above, I hope not! "Chronomancy" was a feature of the Realms at the time and I had fun playing with the notion, but in general I try to stay away from time travel.

I was just kidding... Time travel can be really messy, I also like to avoid it as much as I can. It can really ruin storylines...
quote:

Shanyrria certainly expected to die and, given the circumstances in which we last see her, it would be logical to assume that she went down fighting. But since we don't actually SEE her death, I wouldn't be too quick to count her out.

That's good news, Shanyrria is a great character, IMO. And this IS a biased opinion, for I'm a big fan of bladesingers.
By the way, was she young enough to survive the 100 years of the post-Spellplague Realms?

Lead by example.

(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2246 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2010 :  21:38:20  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage Send ElaineCunningham a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
That's good news, Shanyrria is a great character, IMO. And this IS a biased opinion, for I'm a big fan of bladesingers. By the way, was she young enough to survive the 100 years of the post-Spellplague Realms?

Yes.
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1394 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2010 :  12:18:03  Show Profile  Click to see Barastir's MSN Messenger address Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
That's good news, Shanyrria is a great character, IMO. And this IS a biased opinion, for I'm a big fan of bladesingers. By the way, was she young enough to survive the 100 years of the post-Spellplague Realms?

Yes.

Great news, indeed!

And Mrs. Cunningham, I just ended reading the Tangled Webs excerpt in Realms of Magic, very nice! I'm not a big fan of the drow, but the barbarians are fascinating... So, I think now there is a SERIES I must consider putting in my buying line!

Oh, and I just stumbled into this old post:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by skychrome
Just one more question: is Tzigone a name derivate from Zigeuner (gipsy)? I was just wondering, because it sounds similar and because she is constantly moving from one location to another?

It is, yes. Though the source I used mentioned that it was derived from the Hungarian czigany.

Good catch. :)

Just a curio: in portuguese, "gipsy" is "cigano" (pronounced see-GUN-no).

Lead by example.

(by Ed Greenwood)

Edited by - Barastir on 29 Jul 2010 13:29:52
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1394 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2010 :  18:49:47  Show Profile  Click to see Barastir's MSN Messenger address Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
quote:

Was it the novel where "The Great Hunt" was published? Is another of your stories there?

Lead by example.

(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 37 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page