Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

 All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Elaine Cunningham [II]
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 38

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2270 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2011 :  02:08:26  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage Send ElaineCunningham a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Saer Cormaeril

Elaine, what is 'the song of the lorelei'?



Saer, can you give me some context? Are you speaking of a specific song mentioned in one of my stories, or in generalities?
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2011 :  08:35:10  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Until Saer gives some context, here's what I'd answer: Lorelei is a mythic creature (basically a mermaid) said to have rested on a cliff somewhere along the Rhine where she'd sing for sailors who'd sail their ships aground as they tried to get near her. Basically the same story as Odysseus and the sirens.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1401 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2011 :  13:05:36  Show Profile  Click to see Barastir's MSN Messenger address Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is a Lorelei in one of the "Songs and Swords" books, right? In Elfsong, maybe?

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2270 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2011 :  15:00:22  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage Send ElaineCunningham a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks to Kajehase for citing the real-world myth.

Baristir is correct: There's reference to a lorelei in ELFSONG, when the paladin Texter is enspelled by the song of an apparent damsel in distress.

For a different treatment of this myth, my story "Lorelei" offers a historical fantasy set near the Rhine in pre-Roman times. It's reprinted in Jim Lowder's WORLDS OF THEIR OWN, published by Paizo's Plant Books imprint. If you missed this particular anthology, stay tuned. Within the next couple of months I'll be e-pubbing a collection of my original (by which I mean NOT set in a shared world) short fiction.

I can't recall whether or not there's a mention of a ballad entitled "The Song of the Lorelei" in my Forgotten Realms tales. But it does sound like the sort of thing about which Danilo might write.

Edited by - ElaineCunningham on 06 Jul 2011 15:02:23
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2011 :  15:49:42  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's also a pretty good song by the Pogues. ;)

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief
Moderator

USA
30225 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2011 :  18:19:06  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ElaineCunningham

Thanks to Kajehase for citing the real-world myth.

Baristir is correct: There's reference to a lorelei in ELFSONG, when the paladin Texter is enspelled by the song of an apparent damsel in distress.

For a different treatment of this myth, my story "Lorelei" offers a historical fantasy set near the Rhine in pre-Roman times. It's reprinted in Jim Lowder's WORLDS OF THEIR OWN, published by Paizo's Plant Books imprint. If you missed this particular anthology, stay tuned. Within the next couple of months I'll be e-pubbing a collection of my original (by which I mean NOT set in a shared world) short fiction.

I can't recall whether or not there's a mention of a ballad entitled "The Song of the Lorelei" in my Forgotten Realms tales. But it does sound like the sort of thing about which Danilo might write.



If not a serious ballad, then a minorly bawdy one.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3525 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2011 :  19:42:01  Show Profile  Send The Red Walker a Yahoo! Message Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ElaineCunningham

Yay! Honor Among Thieves is now availabe at the Kindle store!

http://www.amazon.com/Honor-Among-Thieves-Sevrin-ebook/dp/B0054TQJYI/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&m=AG56TWVU5XWC2&s=digital-text&qid=1307554226&sr=1-5

You don't need a Kindle to read it, however, thanks to all the free conversion apps Kindle offers. I've just been speaking via facebook IM with a reader in Germany who downloaded it to his iPad.

Which reminds me: Honor is also available through Amazon.UK and Amazon.de.

I hope you enjoy Honor's tale. If you do, please consider posting a review on Amazon.com, or on your blogs or websites. Better yet, recommend the book to a friend.



$2.99 ???

SOLD! gotta love how quick it gewts to your iPad, ready to read! (now if only work weren't in the way, I would be reading it now)

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2270 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2011 :  20:12:53  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage Send ElaineCunningham a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

quote:
Originally posted by ElaineCunningham

Yay! Honor Among Thieves is now availabe at the Kindle store!

http://www.amazon.com/Honor-Among-Thieves-Sevrin-ebook/dp/B0054TQJYI/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&m=AG56TWVU5XWC2&s=digital-text&qid=1307554226&sr=1-5

You don't need a Kindle to read it, however, thanks to all the free conversion apps Kindle offers. I've just been speaking via facebook IM with a reader in Germany who downloaded it to his iPad.

Which reminds me: Honor is also available through Amazon.UK and Amazon.de.

I hope you enjoy Honor's tale. If you do, please consider posting a review on Amazon.com, or on your blogs or websites. Better yet, recommend the book to a friend.



$2.99 ???

SOLD! gotta love how quick it gewts to your iPad, ready to read! (now if only work weren't in the way, I would be reading it now)



Hope you enjoy the story! The price seems reasonable to me, even though the story is really a long novella length--35,000 words. The next story, Honor Bound, will be about 75,000, slightly shorter than some of my FR books, but will still be priced at $2.99.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High
Moderator

Australia
31690 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2011 :  01:36:35  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ElaineCunningham

I can't recall whether or not there's a mention of a ballad entitled "The Song of the Lorelei" in my Forgotten Realms tales. But it does sound like the sort of thing about which Danilo might write.

Should you ever approach an opportunity to pen such a work, I and my trusty instruments would welcome the chance to put the song to music.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 07 Jul 2011 01:40:02
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2270 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2011 :  12:05:28  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage Send ElaineCunningham a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
Originally posted by ElaineCunningham

I can't recall whether or not there's a mention of a ballad entitled "The Song of the Lorelei" in my Forgotten Realms tales. But it does sound like the sort of thing about which Danilo might write.

Should you ever approach an opportunity to pen such a work, I and my trusty instruments would welcome the chance to put the song to music.



I'll keep that in mind, Sage.
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2270 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2011 :  15:52:57  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage Send ElaineCunningham a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just found out via Google Alert that four more of my Forgotten Realms books are scheduled for release in e-book format! That's a total of seven coming between now and the end of September.

Rather than retype the schedule, I will refer those interested to the Upcoming Releases page of my website:

http://www.elainecunningham.com/upcoming-releases/

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High
Moderator

Australia
31690 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2011 :  08:20:44  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Fascinating stuff with the entry on "The Cat and Cauldron," Elaine.

I love these types of write-ups. So much, in fact, that I have every intention of working the art of "spinning" into my Realms sometime over the weekend.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2270 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2011 :  10:48:33  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage Send ElaineCunningham a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Fascinating stuff with the entry on "The Cat and Cauldron," Elaine.

I love these types of write-ups. So much, in fact, that I have every intention of working the art of "spinning" into my Realms sometime over the weekend.



Thanks, Sage! There's a lot of storytelling going on in this world. People love news and entertainment, so taverns that focus on stories struck me as an interesting way to spend an evening.
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Master of Realmslore

1458 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2011 :  14:26:09  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ElaineCunningham

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
Danilo's one of my fave Realms characters, and I'm now curious about his overall reaction to Liriel (another of my faves).
In Tangled Webs, he has a cameo in which he expresses interest and concern. It's not out of the realm of possibility that he continued to do so.
It's close to reformulating the same question (since it's nearly the same as long as the Team Elfgirls Collection remains together), yet...
However interesting Liriel is, Danilo only briefly met her. But how about his old friend? Did he still contact Sharlarra Vendreth after she left the Blackstaff Tower?
Also, was there a novel or story with other spotlights for the star elf? Did she fell out of a gate, or is she from Yuirwood, or ..? How much did her kin try to find her? And so on.

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
If not a serious ballad, then a minorly bawdy one.
Given that the subject is rather traditional...

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2270 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2011 :  16:15:37  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage Send ElaineCunningham a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TBeholder

However interesting Liriel is, Danilo only briefly met her. But how about his old friend? Did he still contact Sharlarra Vendreth after she left the Blackstaff Tower?

Also, was there a novel or story with other spotlights for the star elf? Did she fell out of a gate, or is she from Yuirwood, or ..? How much did her kin try to find her? And so on.



There are no other stories about Sharlarra Vendreth other than Windwalker and "Answer Prayers," the short story in Best of the Realms III.

I'd like to think that Sharlarra and Danilo kept in touch, or at least crossed paths from time to time.
Go to Top of Page

Saer Cormaeril
Learned Scribe

124 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2011 :  11:47:47  Show Profile Send Saer Cormaeril a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ElaineCunningham

quote:
Originally posted by Saer Cormaeril

Elaine, what is 'the song of the lorelei'?



Saer, can you give me some context? Are you speaking of a specific song mentioned in one of my stories, or in generalities?



Hi Elaine,
I cannot find my copy of "Elfshadow", or I'd give you a page number and some context. But when reading the book recently, I ran across this reference to 'the song of the lorelei', and I immediately thought, "Now, here's a question for Elaine!"

I believe that Kymil Nymesion says to Arilyn, and I'm paraphrasing, "The elves of Faerun are part of the weave, and they have heard the song of the lorelei".

I'll keep looking for my lost paperback (my sofa has a famous appetite for them), and get back with a page number, unless another scribe can provide.

Thank you, Elaine, for the swift reply!


Brace Cormaeril
Go to Top of Page

_Jarlaxle_
Senior Scribe

Germany
542 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2011 :  12:27:39  Show Profile Send _Jarlaxle_ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ElaineCunningham

I just found out via Google Alert that four more of my Forgotten Realms books are scheduled for release in e-book format! That's a total of seven coming between now and the end of September.


Are there any plans on reprinting some of your older books which are out of sale everywhere (for example Evermeet)?
I would love to buy several of them...
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1401 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2011 :  12:45:35  Show Profile  Click to see Barastir's MSN Messenger address Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Found it, it's in the battle between Arilyn and Kymil Nimesin:

"Elven swords flashed and twirled, and sparks from the clashing weapons shot upward into the darkening sky so rapidly that the incredulous Danilo was reminded of festival fireworks. The ringing blows of sword on sword came so quickly that the echoing clangor blended into one reverberating, metallic shriek. A small sound separated itself from the unearthly howl, and a voice began to focus in Danilo's mind. The voice spoke not with words, not with sound, and not to him. Irresistible as the song of the lorelei, the magic voice soared above the din of battle: entreating, insisting, compelling. It called for vengeance. It called for death. With a start, Danilo realized that it was the voice of the elfshadow. The moonblade began to glow as the revenge-bent entity of the sword struggled to escape unbidden. Even to Danilo, its demands were nearly irresistible."

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2270 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2011 :  13:50:23  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage Send ElaineCunningham a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Barastir

Found it, it's in the battle between Arilyn and Kymil Nimesin:

"Elven swords flashed and twirled, and sparks from the clashing weapons shot upward into the darkening sky so rapidly that the incredulous Danilo was reminded of festival fireworks. The ringing blows of sword on sword came so quickly that the echoing clangor blended into one reverberating, metallic shriek. A small sound separated itself from the unearthly howl, and a voice began to focus in Danilo's mind. The voice spoke not with words, not with sound, and not to him. Irresistible as the song of the lorelei, the magic voice soared above the din of battle: entreating, insisting, compelling. It called for vengeance. It called for death. With a start, Danilo realized that it was the voice of the elfshadow. The moonblade began to glow as the revenge-bent entity of the sword struggled to escape unbidden. Even to Danilo, its demands were nearly irresistible."



Ah. Okay. In this context, it's a reference to the irresistable magical song a river-dwelling mermaid sings to lure men to their death, used to describe the struggle Arilyn was waging against the elfshadow and her own desire for justice/vengence.
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2270 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2011 :  13:51:09  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage Send ElaineCunningham a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by _Jarlaxle_

quote:
Originally posted by ElaineCunningham

I just found out via Google Alert that four more of my Forgotten Realms books are scheduled for release in e-book format! That's a total of seven coming between now and the end of September.


Are there any plans on reprinting some of your older books which are out of sale everywhere (for example Evermeet)?
I would love to buy several of them...



Jarlaxle, I'm not aware of any such plans.
Go to Top of Page

_Jarlaxle_
Senior Scribe

Germany
542 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2011 :  15:01:53  Show Profile Send _Jarlaxle_ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2011 :  15:17:28  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Speaking of out-of-print books... I picked up The Radiant Dragon from Paizo last week!!!

Note for Candlekeep 2: We need an "oh my god, oh my god, that's so awesome!" smiley.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2270 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2011 :  15:47:17  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage Send ElaineCunningham a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

Speaking of out-of-print books... I picked up The Radiant Dragon from Paizo last week!!!



The Radiant Dragon? From PAIZO?

Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3074 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2011 :  16:36:18  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ElaineCunningham

quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

Speaking of out-of-print books... I picked up The Radiant Dragon from Paizo last week!!!



The Radiant Dragon? From PAIZO?



Sure, Paizo has a lot of back-logged books that they sell. Although, it looks like Kajehase got the last copy of The Radiant Dragon in their inventory.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs

Edited by - Ashe Ravenheart on 11 Jul 2011 16:37:26
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief
Moderator

USA
30225 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2011 :  17:12:59  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ElaineCunningham

quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

Speaking of out-of-print books... I picked up The Radiant Dragon from Paizo last week!!!



The Radiant Dragon? From PAIZO?





Paizo apparently got a lot of older stock from another company, and was letting it go at some reasonable prices. I myself just placed an order for some older Mage material that I never got the first time around.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 38 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000