Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Two Volo's Guides to Baldur's Gate?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Razz
Senior Scribe

USA
749 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2010 :  03:38:29  Show Profile Send Razz a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I was under the impression that there was only one Volo's Guide to Baldur's Gate book, but are there actually 2? Or is the "Volo's Guide to Baldur's Gate II" referring to just the 2nd series in the PC game and not an actual 2nd book?

Razz
Senior Scribe

USA
749 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2010 :  03:41:15  Show Profile Send Razz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I ask because I saw this (at the page's bottom):

http://www.aeolia.net/realms/realms-products.html

It seems to mention a 1998 guide, the only one I can find, though, is the 2000 guide. Is there a 1998 version?
Go to Top of Page

Dark Wizard
Senior Scribe

USA
830 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2010 :  03:48:17  Show Profile Send Dark Wizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The site you linked explains what the early guide was, it was included in the game manual for the first Baldur's Gate CRPG.

I have Volo's Guide to Baldur's Gate II, which was it's own softcover book. It dealt with the surrounds of the second game, mostly Amn, some of Tethyr and such.
Go to Top of Page

Razz
Senior Scribe

USA
749 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2010 :  04:07:39  Show Profile Send Razz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok so it was more of a PC game guide and not like a Volo's Guide? Or does it have a lot of info to Baldur's Gate the city itself?

I am trying to decide if I should purchase the PC game just to grab this guide. I have the Baldur's Gate II one, and yes, it does describe environs and not Baldur's Gate itself. Does this one describe Baldur's Gate the city I assume?
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2010 :  04:12:29  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
LOL - DW's comment confused me as well, and I know the answer.

NO, there are actually TWO seperate P&P RPG Volo's guides to Baldur's Gate, although the second one has nothing to do with Baldur's Gate - the name was meant to cash-in on the then-popular Video game series. The second one instead details many of the lands further south, and is every bit as good as the first guide (and none of the info is repeated).

Correction: The first guide was actually entitled Volo's Guide to the Swordcoast, and covered the city of BG and it's environs.

There is a THIRD guide, in the form of the comp-game manual, but it is really little more then a short chapter in the game guide. I don't think any info in that is new or different then anything we know from other sources.

Editted for clarification.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 11 Jul 2010 19:50:08
Go to Top of Page

Razz
Senior Scribe

USA
749 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2010 :  04:16:46  Show Profile Send Razz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

NO, there are actually TWO seperate P&P RPG Volo's guides to Baldur's Gate, although the second one has nothing to do with Baldur's Gate - the name was meant to cash-in on the then-popular Video game series. The second one instead details many of the lands further south, and is every bit as good as the first guide (and none of the info is repeated).

There is a THIRD guide, in the form of the comp-game manual, but it is really little more then a short chapter in the game guide. I don't think any info in that is new or different then anything we know from other sources.

Ok, then it's the first guide I am looking for. Where is that located? Does it come with the original game?
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2010 :  04:22:12  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No, both are no-longer for sale anywhere, unless you can find them on E-Bay or someplace similar. Do a web-search for that name - who knows? You may find it for free somewhere... WotC had a lot of old products in their download section...

The game-guide came with the VG - the other two were available at bookstores and LGS, just like the rest of the Volo series. As I have said, the game-guide doesn't really contain anything new.

EDIT: Was just looking at that guide - the VG one - some real interesting stuff about Halruaa in there, of all places! Consider my last sentence above inaccurate.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 11 Jul 2010 04:29:46
Go to Top of Page

Razz
Senior Scribe

USA
749 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2010 :  05:34:38  Show Profile Send Razz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can easily get the Game Manual + Volo's Guide to BG (I believe that's the one you're talking about).

But you're saying there was an actual book published in 1998 of a Volo's Guide to Baldur's Gate no longer in print.

Is it super-rare, because even using Google I can barely find any reference to it or even a cover picture!

Who here even has it? So far, it seems like some sort of "ghost" book.

Edited by - Razz on 11 Jul 2010 05:35:12
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2010 :  05:43:57  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The actual Volo's Guide to Baldur's Gate II sourcebook is a worthwhile purchase. 'Tis full of Ed-lore for the regions of Amn and Tethyr.

Details here:- http://www.candlekeep.com/bookshelf/products/11626.htm

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Razz
Senior Scribe

USA
749 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2010 :  06:09:58  Show Profile Send Razz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

The actual Volo's Guide to Baldur's Gate II sourcebook is a worthwhile purchase. 'Tis full of Ed-lore for the regions of Amn and Tethyr.

I have that one, definitely worthwhile for any Realms fan. I am just confused as to the situation of the original 1998 one, the first one I guess? Not the one in the game manual that Markustay was talking about (which I believe Interplay offered as a download for free anyway, looking into that now), but there apparently seems to be an actual Volo's Guide to Baldur's Gate written by Ed or am I mistaken?

EDIT: Ok, I see at the bottom of that link it says the book was originally titled "Volo's Guide to Baldur's Gate" and wasn't intended to have the "II" at the end? Is that right?
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2010 :  06:17:47  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Okay, either there is a mistake somewhere, or you've got access to info I've never seen. I only know of two Volo's Guides to Baldur's Gate -- the one included in the game manual, and the later Volo's Guide to Baldur's Gate II.

I have never before seen anything to indicate the existence of a third such guide.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2010 :  06:19:57  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

As an aside, I've never liked that cover art. All the angles are wrong -- the elf is at the wrong angle to have fired the arrow, and he doesn't even seem to be looking at Volo!

Go to Top of Page

Razz
Senior Scribe

USA
749 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2010 :  06:21:00  Show Profile Send Razz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh and what is this about?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Forgotten-Realms-Handbook-Advanced-Dungeons/dp/0786916745 (Baldur's Gate Handbook)
Go to Top of Page

Razz
Senior Scribe

USA
749 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2010 :  06:22:53  Show Profile Send Razz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

Okay, either there is a mistake somewhere, or you've got access to info I've never seen. I only know of two Volo's Guides to Baldur's Gate -- the one included in the game manual, and the later Volo's Guide to Baldur's Gate II.

I have never before seen anything to indicate the existence of a third such guide.

Ok, this was what was confusing me LOL I'm Googling for the past 2 hours and have been finding nothing, it just leads me to the Game Manual over and over. So there never was a paperback book of Guide to Baldur's Gate, just the several pages in the manual? Now it's making sense.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2010 :  06:29:03  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Razz

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Forgotten-Realms-Handbook-Advanced-Dungeons/dp/0786916745 (Baldur's Gate Handbook)

Never seen that before, either... My guess is that it was a planned tie-in book that got scrapped and rolled (at least partially) into something else.

Go to Top of Page

Razz
Senior Scribe

USA
749 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2010 :  06:32:10  Show Profile Send Razz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Never seen that before, either... My guess is that it was a planned tie-in book that got scrapped and rolled (at least partially) into something else.

It's weird, because it's saying it was published on July 15, 2000. I'm seeing a messageboard topic where someone states reading through it and looking up the definition of Lawful Evil. So it has been published, but I can't find any info on it. Strange.

EDIT: Ok, so far, I believe it's an import only...which makes it even more weird. Well I ordered it from the UK, we'll see if it comes in and what it is then LOL

Edited by - Razz on 11 Jul 2010 06:50:01
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2010 :  06:35:19  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I got my copy from www.nobleknightgames.com

Edited by - Brimstone on 11 Jul 2010 06:38:09
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2010 :  06:51:04  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

MY BAD

I just checked my guides, and realized my mistake.

There are only two guides with that name - the game manual and the VGtBG2 book. My confusion came from the fact that the city of Baldur's Gate is NOT covered in the guidebook with that title - it is covered in the guidebook Volo's Guide to the Swordcoast!

Ergo, three guides do deal with BG, but the two that have the least to do with the city itself bear it's name, and the one without BG in the title covers that city.

Whewwwww... and we wonder sometimes why it is so hard to pin-point info we have read....

Edited by - Markustay on 11 Jul 2010 07:41:56
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2010 :  08:08:45  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

[EDIT: Ok, I see at the bottom of that link it says the book was originally titled "Volo's Guide to Baldur's Gate" and wasn't intended to have the "II" at the end? Is that right?
As far as I can recall, yes. I think I once asked Ed about this, back in '05. I'll check my emails.
quote:

quote:

As an aside, I've never liked that cover art. All the angles are wrong -- the elf is at the wrong angle to have fired the arrow, and he doesn't even seem to be looking at Volo!

I remember Ed briefly talking about the cover too. Another reason to find that email.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2010 :  12:42:38  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Silly Wooly......if you'd continued to research that shot angle, it would have been obvious that their was a third shooter behind the grassy knoll

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Razz
Senior Scribe

USA
749 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2010 :  15:24:51  Show Profile Send Razz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok, now that the Baldur's Gate issue is settled, what about this Baldur's Gate Handbook? That's become a mysterious one for me, recently. Can't find any info on it, just the cover.
Go to Top of Page

Dark Wizard
Senior Scribe

USA
830 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2010 :  17:46:15  Show Profile Send Dark Wizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I hope my initial reply to this topic now makes sense. ;)

I've never heard of the Baldur's Gate Handbook until this thread. The cover of the handbook has Thomas Reid as the author. Maybe drop by his thread in the Chamber of Sages to ask if he has more information on what it contains.

Edited by - Dark Wizard on 11 Jul 2010 17:52:53
Go to Top of Page

bladeinAmn
Learned Scribe

199 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2010 :  06:30:24  Show Profile  Visit bladeinAmn's Homepage Send bladeinAmn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The specific "Volo's Guide to Baldur's Gate" (1,Not 2) came w/the Baldur's Gate video game for PC. It's not as in depth as "Volo's Guide to the Sword Coast" but it still gives some good lore to non-BG players. Volo gives a basic rundown of the Realms to the VG players, talkin about the Baldur's Gate region, the power groups, major NPC's, monsters found in the area, Realms timekeeping, 2e rules, and gives his take on a few spells.

Then there's "Volo's Guide to Baldur's Gate II," which as others have said, is full of Ed's lore, and it actually explores regions that WERE NOT explored in the BG2:SoA game! It's a good book, but kind of not named appropriately. A better name would've been "Lands of Intrigue II" or some such.

Go to Top of Page

Duneth Despana
Learned Scribe

Belgium
273 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2015 :  11:22:53  Show Profile Send Duneth Despana a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No news on the Thomas Reid Baldur's Gate Handbook?

« There is no overriding « epic » in the Realms, but rather a large number of stories, adventures, and encounters going on all the time. [...]. Each creative mind adds to the base, creating, defining, and making their contribution to the rich diversity of the Realms. [...]. But Ed built the stage upon which all the plays are presented. Thanks Ed. » -FR Comic no.1
Go to Top of Page

newbiedm
Acolyte

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2019 :  22:26:20  Show Profile  Visit newbiedm's Homepage Send newbiedm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here is the Baldur's gate manual, including the elusive Volo's Guide...

https://www.mocagh.org/bioware/baldur-manual.pdf

Visit my D&D website at www.newbiedm.com
Go to Top of Page

jamesewelch
Learned Scribe

106 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2019 :  22:38:05  Show Profile Send jamesewelch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You can get the softcover of Volo's Guide to Baldur's Gate II (2e) $9.99 from DMG. ($4.99 for PDF)

https://www.dmsguild.com/product/196797/Volos-Guide-to-Baldurs-Gate-II-2e

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000