Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Unique World Map
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Gambit
Learned Scribe

110 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2010 :  23:44:32  Show Profile Send Gambit a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I came across this in some random online surfing and thought it was pretty interesting.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/224/5...61ac34d3_o.png

Here is what the cartographer has to say and explains what he did.

"I have discovered that when drawn to scale, you can fit Khorvaire, Sarlona, Argonnessen, Xen-drik, Aerenal, Frostfell, Everice, Faerun, the Flaneass, Ansalon, Taladas, a good chunk of Athas, and Maztica in one world, the exact same size as Earth, and have it make coherent sense, without overcrowding with continents. Here's how:

1. Eberron makes up about 50% of the map. Place it on the left.
2. I wrote a computer program to convert a scan of the Frostfell map from Player's Guide to Eberron from polar conic to equirectangular centered on the equator. It worked pretty well after a little tweaking the output image, although I lost the details near the north pole.
3. Place Faerun and Oerth back to back (requires a very slight adjustment to the north coastline) to the east of Sarlona. Replace the tiny island north of Sarlona with Evermeet.
4. Connect Ansalon to the Everice southeast of Argonnessen, and place Taladas southeast of Sarlona and northeast of Ansalon, along the southern tropic line. Notice the proximity of dragons in Argonnessen and Ansalon. Also notice how tiny Ansalon and Taladas are when drawn to scale against the other continents.
5. Place Athas along the equator about where Zakhara normally is. Notice the Plains of Dust merge nicely into the sea of silt. Merge the Kreen empire on the Crimson Savannah with the northwesternmost tip of Zakhara (I only used the section of Zakhara from the Corsairs of the Great Sea boxed set). You have to adjust Zakhara ever so slightly to be a little closer to Faerun but it's barely noticable. Place mountains along the east, southeast, south, and west borders. The Dead Lands and Anattan Wastes are huge so Athas takes up a lot of space.
6. Fuse Maztica into Hepamonaland. Notice the similar architecture between Maztica and the giants of Xen-drik.
7. Now place Ravenloft on a little peninsula east of Taladas. Ravenloft is really super tiny so it can fit just about anywhere.
8. Nehwon is kind of cold so place it somewhere to the south of Athas around 50 degrees south latitude. It's about the same size as Ravenloft.

I had enough room left over on the map that I designated them for three home campaigns - one is my original home campaign, one is a d20 Apocalypse (the aplocalypse was 25000 years ago, progress level 8, think Expedition to the Barrier Peaks), and an oriental adventures campaign a la Kara-Tur. I'd post the map, but it's mostly WotC maps shrunk down to fit on a 4096x2048 equirectangular projection (albeit maps that were downloaded from the WotC site for free, except Faerun and Maztica from the FR Interactive Atlas globe), and I don't want lawyers to come knocking.

So, what does this imply? The Dreaming Dark is infiltrating Faerun too, Cordell never came to Maztica (or came from Greyhawk), and Ansalon and Taladas have different climate zones than a normal Krynn campaign. The dragons of Argonnessen and the dragons of Ansalon have a mysterious connection. Minotaurs of Taladas raid Ravenloft for slaves and sell them to the yuan-ti of Faerun."

BlackAce
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
358 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2010 :  07:39:14  Show Profile Send BlackAce a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The link doesn't work but this is Markustay's work, I believe. He has a thread all about it, around here somewhere...

Edited by - BlackAce on 09 Jul 2010 07:40:09
Go to Top of Page

Nicolai Withander
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1093 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2010 :  12:49:02  Show Profile Send Nicolai Withander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Could the great map-maker comment or give a link or something... the suspence!!!!
Go to Top of Page

92dragon5fire
Acolyte

3 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2010 :  13:30:02  Show Profile  Visit 92dragon5fire's Homepage Send 92dragon5fire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hear is the Link to that forum on the Wizards website

http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19558838/How_to_fit_every_major_D38;D_continent_on_one_world

My computer is acting up so I could not post it as a hyperlink.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2010 :  20:33:01  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No, that is NOT mine.

While being a clever bit of shoe-horning, he gave little thought to climate, and some of his cultures wind-up also non-sensical. There is an even more involved one I have seen that makes far less sense, but has 20 or more settings mashed together.

The one I did (and nearly completed LOL), had every continent in or close to their original latitudinal positions, and also took-in regards for similar cultures being near each other (caused by socio-infusion). I also used the scale of Toril, which is something like 12% larger then Earth, allowing me to fit quite a bit more, actually. The only caveats I made (toward the end, trying to complete it) was to flip Sarlona upside-down, and double the size of Ansalon.

Oh, and just for Sage (and any other DL fans), here's a very pretty version of Ansalon that someone recently did over at the Cartographer's Guild. If the link don't work, join the guild. Its free, they don't bug you with E-mails, and it is worth the 2 minutes it takes to sign-up, just for all the beautiful maps made there.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 10 Jul 2010 20:36:08
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2010 :  02:22:10  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Oh, and just for Sage (and any other DL fans), here's a very pretty version of Ansalon that someone recently did over at the Cartographer's Guild. If the link don't work, join the guild. Its free, they don't bug you with E-mails, and it is worth the 2 minutes it takes to sign-up, just for all the beautiful maps made there.

Oh, very, very nice. I don't know how I'll do it just yet, but I'm dropping this somewhere into my next scheduled DRAGONLANCE campaign.

Thanks for the link Markus.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 11 Jul 2010 02:23:17
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2010 :  04:17:51  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
NP, O' sagely One.

I've been trying to figure-out how to slip-in a link to that beauty somewhere for about 2 weeks now.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2010 :  05:45:30  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

I've been trying to figure-out how to slip-in a link to that beauty somewhere for about 2 weeks now.
Well, I'm definitely thankful. My mind's already ablaze with the slight alterations I can make to this map, in order to reflect some of the internally consistent changes I've made to my version of Ansalon.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

BlackAce
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
358 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2010 :  05:48:37  Show Profile Send BlackAce a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah, then my apologies for the confusion. Y'know what they say when you assume.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000