Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 FR Ad
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Sylrae
Learned Scribe

Canada
313 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2010 :  11:30:38  Show Profile Send Sylrae a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I saw this ad. It reminded me of good times when I first started gaming, and how quickly we switched over to forgotten realms.

Those were some good times.

I was thinking about making a parody of the ad with references to 4e, but then decided I didn't want to spoil moment or the ad like that.

Here

Apparently candlekeep doesn't support inline images, so I linked to it. put it up on our university rpg club forums. I was talking about it there too. :P

Sylrae's Forgotten Realms Fan-Lore Index, with public commenting access to make for easier improvement (WIP)

Edited by - Sylrae on 07 Jul 2010 12:16:39

Ayunken-vanzan
Senior Scribe

Germany
657 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2010 :  12:09:06  Show Profile  Visit Ayunken-vanzan's Homepage Send Ayunken-vanzan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You have to put the url in a pair of " to make the code work (after the = and before the ]).

"What mattered our lives now? When our world had been torn from us? Folk wept, or drank, or stood staring out over the land, wondering what new horror each dawn would bring."
Elender Stormfall of Suzail

"Anyone can kill deities, cause plagues, or destroy organizations. It takes real skill to make them live on."
Varl

FR/D&D-Links 2ed Downloads
Go to Top of Page

Sylrae
Learned Scribe

Canada
313 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2010 :  12:16:58  Show Profile Send Sylrae a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Ayuknen.

Any comments or memories that the ad inspired for other people?

Sylrae's Forgotten Realms Fan-Lore Index, with public commenting access to make for easier improvement (WIP)

Edited by - Sylrae on 07 Jul 2010 12:17:25
Go to Top of Page

Darkmeer
Senior Scribe

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2010 :  16:02:13  Show Profile  Visit Darkmeer's Homepage Send Darkmeer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nice. I don't ever recall seeing that particular ad, but it works well for what the Realms was at the time.

That, an it fits a particular gaming ideal for D&D in general.

Thank you for sharing
/d

"These people are my family, not just friends, and if you want to get to them you gotta go through ME."
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2010 :  18:44:34  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Coming out of 'lurk mode' because I couldn't help but notice that back then, 'linear adventures' (ie, adventures that didn't have any place in 'the world' beyond the dungeon itself) were considered BAD, and their example of crap is stuff floating in the air (unconnected to anything else).

Poignant as hell, in hindsight.

Thanks for posting that, it made me laugh, albeit bitterly.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 08 Jul 2010 01:38:19
Go to Top of Page

Dark Wizard
Senior Scribe

USA
830 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2010 :  03:21:38  Show Profile Send Dark Wizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How about that descriptor as a selling point.

quote:
From the FR ad.

No matter where you travel, fully detailed settings and daring escapades await your arrival. Every corner of the Realms is filled with ancient legends, fantastic cultures, and diverse personalities. So the DM can concentrate on the action at hand, without worrying about keeping players "on track."

The Forgotten Realms. Adventure everywhere.

Edited by - Dark Wizard on 08 Jul 2010 03:22:56
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2010 :  03:40:54  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dark Wizard

How about that descriptor as a selling point.

quote:
From the FR ad.

No matter where you travel, fully detailed settings and daring escapades await your arrival. Every corner of the Realms is filled with ancient legends, fantastic cultures, and diverse personalities. So the DM can concentrate on the action at hand, without worrying about keeping players "on track."

The Forgotten Realms. Adventure everywhere.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 08 Jul 2010 03:41:43
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2010 :  04:07:43  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I remember seeing this in one of the late 80's issues of Uncanny X-Men for the first time. It was a real hoot!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Sandro
Learned Scribe

New Zealand
266 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2010 :  09:35:35  Show Profile Send Sandro a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Adventure everywhere.

Probably the best slogan for the Realms anyone could come up with.

"Gods, little fishes, and spells to turn the one to the other," Mordenkainen sighed. "It's started already..."
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000