Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Era of Choice
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2010 :  11:30:22  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Poll Question:
Ok, how about we use this poll as the definitive source to know which era of the realms each scribe prefers. Vote on your #1 choice and post it so we know who you are and feel free your #2 and on choices. Remember, this is not which ruleset (D&D 3.5E, D&D 4E, Pathfinder, etc...) you prefer to use, but the realms setting based on the choices.
I'm putting this simply because in every thread it seems most scribes find the need to state which realms they prefer (which in itself is ok as long as there is no hate being spoken constantly, which has been ok lately) but that has lately acted (unintentionally on the scribes in question's part) as troll fuel.
So here I bring this poll/thread in hopes that it helps keep other threads clean of the hate railroading that has been occuring (if at least for a small ammount of time).

Choices:

Greenwood - (pre-Old grey Box) (pre-AD&D)
Old Grey Box - original published Realms (AD&D)
Post Time of Troubles Realms (2E)
Return of Shade Realms (3E)
Post Spellplague Realms (4E)
Arcane Age - Netheril
Arcane Age - (other - specify)
Other (specify)

(Anonymous Vote)

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2010 :  11:41:12  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Even though I don't foresee them as being high on the choices that will be made, I'd like to clarify the differences between the last two choices in order to avoid any possible confusion.

Arcane Age (other) means anything in the past realms (mostly a couple hundred years +), examples being ancient Myth Drannor, Athalantar, or even (once (if ever) made public through CC or another medium) Anauria through my Anauria article.

Other means anything else, such as recent past prior to the grey box starting year, or a spelljamming around the realms, or a significant alteration to cannon (such as a change to more than 1 Major Deity, multiple political changes or even re-arrangements of the land masses, etc...)

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2010 :  11:42:21  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just a friendly Mod warning before we begin... Let's try to keep this discussion civil and respectful of each other's opinions. We're here to discuss ALL official interpretations of the Realms. I don't want to see a repeat of the recent series of problems plaguing other edition-based scrolls.

Thus, let me blunt:- If you've no intention of adding anything constructive to this discussion, please consider your reply before posting. I apologise for such harsh measures, but I think it's time to start trying a new strategy with respect to combating the types of "unfortunate" situations that have recently occurred.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 17 Jun 2010 11:45:11
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2010 :  11:43:25  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I voted for Arcane Age: Netheril as my #1 place to visit in the realms. For my top three, it is:

#2 - Return of Shade
#3 - Post Spellplague

Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2010 :  11:45:32  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Just a friendly Mod warning before we begin... Let's try to keep this discussion civil and respectful of each others opinions. We're here to discuss ALL official interpretations of the Realms. I don't want to see a repeat of the recent series of problems plaguing other edition-based scrolls.

Thus, let me blunt:- If you've no intention of adding anything constructive to this discussion, please consider your reply before posting. I apologise for such harsh measures, but I think it's time to start trying a new strategy with respect to combating the types of "unfortunate" situations that have recently occurred.

Thanks Sage. My thoughts exactly going through my currently troubled mind as I posted this (I'd like to come to the keep as a distraction from the people at my two jobs that have been stressing me out, not to find MORE stress).

Go to Top of Page

Talwyn
Learned Scribe

Australia
222 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2010 :  12:24:54  Show Profile  Visit Talwyn's Homepage Send Talwyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm in for the Old Grey box as it was just a great campaign accessory.

It had beautifully realised maps, great books that listed noble families and guilds and much much more.

It still has pride of place along with other D&D items that I have collected over the years.

Fun times

Over the centuries, mankind has tried many ways of combating the forces of evil...prayer, fasting, good works and so on.
Up until Doom, no one seemed to have thought about the double-barrel shotgun.
EAT LEADEN DEATH DEMON!
Terry Pratchett

Go to Top of Page

Cleric Generic
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
565 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2010 :  12:27:00  Show Profile  Visit Cleric Generic's Homepage Send Cleric Generic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good stuff.

Right, I went Post-Plague because it gives me alternative versions of some places I wasn't so hot on, and doesn't throw up any significant barriers to reinstating the bits I did like that were ditched. Also, stuff such as spell-scars and plague-lands tickle my DMing fancy. I'm not HUGELY familiar with the pre-ToT realms, but I'd really like to run a game in the Arcane Age prior to Lord Karsus' little snafu...

Also, my interest in the realms is largely that of a gamer, and more particularly as a DM, although it all exists in my own little imaginarium as well. I wonder if the Post-Plague realms are more popular, or at least less unpopular with gamers than with those that, for example, are more interested in novels?

EDIT: gettin' me some popcorn...

Cedric! The Cleric Generic and Master of Disguise!

ALL HAIL LORD KARSUS!!!

Vast Realmslore Archive: Get in here and download everything! http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/archfr/rl

2e Realms book PDFs; grab em! - http://poleandrope.blogspot.com/2010/07/working-around-purge.html

Edited by - Cleric Generic on 17 Jun 2010 12:32:02
Go to Top of Page

Tyranthraxus
Senior Scribe

Netherlands
423 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2010 :  12:29:44  Show Profile  Visit Tyranthraxus's Homepage Send Tyranthraxus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I voted for Return of Shade Realms (3E). My 2nd and 3rd choices would be Post Time of Troubles Realms (2E) and Post Spellplague Realms (4E) because I'm more fimiliar with those then the earlier editions.
Go to Top of Page

Amarel Derakanor
Seeker

97 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2010 :  12:29:44  Show Profile Send Amarel Derakanor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I voted on the "Greenwood Realms". Easy choice. Guaranteed to be a 100% free of RSEs and real-world-culture-copies. Not to mention retroactive continuity and world design influenced by 'marketing strategies', which the 4th edition is full of.
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2010 :  12:34:44  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Time of Troubles, then Shade Realms.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Kilvan
Senior Scribe

Canada
894 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2010 :  12:51:56  Show Profile Send Kilvan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Return of the Shade for me, then I guess it's just before that with the post Time of Trouble
Go to Top of Page

Bakra
Senior Scribe

628 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2010 :  13:00:35  Show Profile Send Bakra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I voted "other" because it depends. As a Scribe, I study whatever the current canonical year is at the moment. As a player I prefer post Time of Troubles.

I hope Candlekeep continues to be the friendly forum of fellow Realms-lovers that it has always been, as we all go through this together. If you don’t want to move to the “new” Realms, that doesn’t mean there’s anything wrong with either you or the “old” Realms. Goodness knows Candlekeep, and the hearts of its scribes, are both big enough to accommodate both. If we want them to be.
(Strikes dramatic pose, raises sword to gleam in the sunset, and hopes breeches won’t fall down.)
Enough for now. The Realms lives! I have spoken! Ale and light wines half price, served by a smiling Storm Silverhand fetchingly clad in thigh-high boots and naught else! Ahem . .
So saith Ed. <snip>
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3281 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2010 :  14:04:33  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I voted other. I like the Realms reguardless the time period.

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

GRYPHON
Senior Scribe

USA
527 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2010 :  14:47:02  Show Profile Send GRYPHON a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Old Grey Box and Post ToT...
Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2010 :  15:00:24  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Voted post ToT. The 2e setting feels simply like "good old times" for me, classic realmsian feel whith less frequency of RSE than in 3e. It is the period I truly like as a player.

2nd and 3rd would be Grey Box and post-spellplague realms, also due to lack of RSE.

"You make an intriguing offer, one that is very tempting. It would seem that I have little alternative than to answer thusly: DISINTEGRATE!" Vaarsuvius, Order of the Stick 625
Go to Top of Page

Apex
Learned Scribe

USA
229 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2010 :  15:02:29  Show Profile  Visit Apex's Homepage Send Apex a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As a gamer (and usually the DM) I prefer the Old Grey Box, as it really creates a spectacular backdrop for the Realms that best brings out my imagination, without having to worry about being overly detailed or full of huge changes wrought by overeager game designers.
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2010 :  16:55:14  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Though I loved the 3.x rules set and many of the novels set during that time, I fell in love with the setting via 2e era books, and so that is what I voted for.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2010 :  17:05:25  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I selected OTHER. And since I can't decide, I'm going to say ALL -- as every branch of the published Realms [and what we know of the unpublished Realms {thanks to Ed here at Candlekeep}] has eventually offered something of significant value that I can utilise in my campaigns.

Go to Top of Page

Asharak
Learned Scribe

France
267 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2010 :  17:05:54  Show Profile Send Asharak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
First Old Grey Box for ambiance and second Time of Troubles for lore (not the gods), after there's too much "is back again" (Shade, Imaskar, Baine...) , and for the last edition ...

"Soyez réalistes : demandez l'impossible"

Sorry for my English... it's not my native tongue.
Go to Top of Page

Arioch
Learned Scribe

Italy
222 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2010 :  17:23:12  Show Profile  Visit Arioch's Homepage Send Arioch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I voted for 3Ed Realms. A lot of interesting hooks for epic adventures in there! I really like to give my players an epic scope to their efforts.

I do not think that 3Ed Realms is restricted to the return of Netheril, nor that it unfolds exactly as I hoped to.

As a second choice I loved 2ed Realms.. just because I started playing in that era!

Edited by - Arioch on 17 Jun 2010 17:27:58
Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2010 :  17:46:16  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Voted for Arcane Age (other) - namely, Cormanthor. Wonderful thing. Second place for 3 ed. Realms - the return of Shade, Alusair as the Regent... drow on surface in Cormanthyr....

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Mr_Miscellany
Senior Scribe

545 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2010 :  18:50:15  Show Profile Send Mr_Miscellany a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I voted "other" since I don't overly prefer one era to another.
Go to Top of Page

Kyrene
Senior Scribe

South Africa
716 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2010 :  19:19:37  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I voted "other" for anything that revolves mainly around Neverwinter (and the Sword Coast North around it) and the Cities of the Seabreeze in an un-destroyed state. That would thus preclude what had happened to those places post-Spellplague.

Lost for words? Find them in the Glossary of Phrases, Sayings & Words of the Realms
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2010 :  19:23:31  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm with Misc on this one.

You should have had a 'no preference' choice - there are things I like and dislike about every edition.

The edition I have the least quibbles with would be 1e, but that's not the same as a preference. If I had a gun to my head I suppose I would have to say 3e, even though a LOT of what went into FR in 3e I dislike, if for no other reason then that it incorporates the largest amount of material I use (including all prior editions).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Archimedes of Syracuse
Acolyte

USA
28 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2010 :  20:39:35  Show Profile  Visit Archimedes of Syracuse's Homepage Send Archimedes of Syracuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i voted post ToT. I got into the realms as an occasional reader right before ToT and for some reason it turned me into a FR only reader, and ever since then i haven't read a book outside of the realms.
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2010 :  20:46:10  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like the Realms-tapestry before it started being led by publishing, marketing and game-mechanical factors outside of world-building, but with the in-tune, good-faith elements that first figured in later Realms-years, from many authors, fed back in. For instance, in my Realms social and collective ties are stressed, Bhaal's and Myrkul's churches and the orthodox Banites are powers in the Inner Sea lands, Shandril's story proceeds as in Ed's unrealized outline, the Knights of Myth Drannor are in their prime in Shadowdale without that set-up being extended for decades Peter Panlike, the conflicts set out in the Old Grey Box can play out unsuspended, and the 1360s and 70s timelines are available for selective inspiration if I want them.
Go to Top of Page

Corwyn the Errant
Acolyte

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2010 :  21:45:26  Show Profile  Visit Corwyn the Errant's Homepage Send Corwyn the Errant a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Old Grey Box, followed by the post Time of Troubles for me. It served as such wonderfully fertile ground for the seeds of my version of the Realms to take root in, until I have the verdant,tangled garden my players wander through this day. The much-repaired OGB still sees it's share of use, sitting at the head of the shelf containing all my FR books.
Go to Top of Page

froglegg
Learned Scribe

317 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2010 :  03:00:09  Show Profile Send froglegg a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Old Grey Box! What can I say other then it is pure grey gold or a fine wine that just gets better with age baby!
Some of the 2nd and 3rd edition lore is good (No time for the time of troubles) As for what came after 3.5 well that realms is to me. Did not nore ever will happen in my realms. The goddess is alive and well and magic is a foot!

John

Long live Alias and Dragonbait! Kate Novak and Jeff Grubb the Realms need you more then ever!

On my word as a sage nothing within these pages is false, but not all of it may prove to be true. - Elminster of Shadowdale

The Old Grey Box gets better with age!
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4425 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2010 :  03:17:18  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I went with Post Spellplague primarly because I knew it would get little love. Aside from that, It's also the era I'm currently DMing my group of PCs. I find that a lot of that era is new and exciting and more to my liking than previous times in the Realms.

If I could choose a second era, it'd probably be the Return of Shade (3E) mainly for the rule-set but also because there is many adventures yet to explore as well as places to see. Definitly got some creative ideas for some campaigns set in that time.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36775 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2010 :  04:00:34  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I voted post-ToT. I came into the Realms while that was happening, and I "grew up" on the 2E Realms. Despite the bolt-ons of near-Earth cultures, I still feel that 2E was the high mark of Realmslore. We had good stuff in 1E, but 2E put so much polish on that. We had some good stuff in 3E, too, but even the best 3E material was only on par with 2E stuff.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2010 :  04:08:18  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Despite the bolt-ons of near-Earth cultures, I still feel that 2E was the high mark of Realmslore.
Personally, I like the add-ons, but mostly as independent settings and/or worlds separated from the Realms. And that's usually how I run them should I establish campaigns set in Kara-Tur or Zakhara, for example...

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000